Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
In retrospect....bleh.

I started LPing through Dectilon and Phiggle's amazing Romhack Thread. I contributed two things for the thread, Super Metroid Redesign and Parallel Worlds. First one was subtitled because I was afraid at the time of people laughing at my voice and the second was I did group and frankly I think they're both rubbish. I played both games extensively at the time and wanted to go "hey have a playthrough from someone half decent at them!" I tried rewatching a Parallel Worlds video and I couldn't even finish it cause the commentary was so bad. Didn't help that I tried to prevent me and my co-commentators from spouting the same dumb jokes from the old 2007 thread. My editing skills were god awful as well. I can see some people liking the Redesign videos because of some of the tricks I pull off, but I don't see how anyone can like the Parallel Worlds videos.

While I was way into romhacks, I was also way into Castlevania at the time. Seeing how stupid I am I decided I would try LPing the WHOLE series, which at the time only the first Lords of Shadows game was out. I pre-recorded basically every game between the first and Rondo of Blood, and intended to do each game with a different person. That itself didn't pan out since I only did the first two games with one person, and then the rest of them with Emalde, who I felt I struck gold with. Everything between the first game and some of Rondo of Blood, again, I feel is complete rubbish that some people seem to still really enjoy. While I certainly don't mean to undermine Emalde's efforts, our commentary just wasn't that good in my opinion on those early videos. My audio quality was rubbish, my editing skills again, were rubbish, since I knew nothing of avisynth at the time. The only thing I actually like from that thread was Symphony of the Night and that still has it's own fair share of issues. The commentary was pretty fine, Emalde and I were on top of explaining all the little details. What DID suck though was the technical aspects of it and some of the gameplay. Gameplay wise I had the biggest brain fart and couldn't play well any time I was recording(not to mention the D-Pad on the 360 was so god drat bad). Technical problems include recording FROM the 360 meaning every video up until a certain point was a different aspect ratio because I was a moron, and videos taking ages to finish because I took forever figuring out how to do stupid little editing gags in avisynth(a Kill Bill style gag I did took about 9 hours to figure out IIRC). After all that I still haven't truly finished the LP since I lost a lot of footage for the big bonus video at the end and eventually moved computers. I still intend to go back and actually do that but ick... Some point late in SOTN I realized that I couldn't continue on with the rest of the 2D games since while they are fun, there was no way I felt we could have made essentially the same game done 6 more times, plus any other 2D game that wasn't a metroidvania, interesting to do commentary for, and interesting for people to watch. It's a partial shame since I DID have nearly every video for Circle of the Moon recorded already and ready for commentary.

Some day I still plan to do each of the old 3D games and the Lords of Shadows games, but that's still ages away. Blah blah I suck at Castlevania and why did people like them and still want me to do em.

I still can't believe I was dumb enough to try SSLPing Lost Odyssey. Who knew trying to stuff a few hundred images each update was the easiest way to burn out? I guess it's a good thing I stopped that right quick since my disc 2 was scratched to hell so I couldn't even continue even if I wanted. :smith: Game is hard as hell to find here too.

I'm really bad at committing to LPs I discovered! Though I haven't posted anything for it in over a year, I still fully intend to continue my Witcher thread! Hell I have footage for all of Chapter 2 recorded which is where the game is cursed. Just gotta actually find time to edit and start releasing again since everything past that will be easy. A retrospect for that game so far though? Learn editing shortcuts for Premiere because holy hell...

Guess the moral to my story is: Don't try to bite off more than you can chew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I once did a 24 hour stream with some other minor LP people and we were drunk for 80% of it. I repeatedly made an rear end of myself and can't believe an impromptu stream turned into a drunken marathon that people actually watched (albeit only a dozen)

Otherwise my only other regret is not jumping on Banjo Kazooie sooner. Now that it and Tooie have been recently redone with voice commentary, I can't really think of a way to present them that'd be meaningfully different. They were good BK LPs and I dont have anything more to add to it. I might end up doing DK64 so we can chalk up another LPer besides Addar who gets panic attacks when reminded of Beaver Bother :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I know I posted here before, but there is actually something I am somewhat curious about: the reason folks start doing in the first place. Mine was, honestly, pretty weird: I did Shadow Warrior because I learned of its existence here and ended up loving the game, so I figured if I do this, maybe it will affect someone else and it goes full circle. Kind of a game from SA, for SA.
Weird, yes.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Gridlocked posted:

I have a folder sitting on my desktop called "Darkest Dungeon LP" which contains an unedited first recording of the tutorial level of Darkest Dungeon and a first Dungeon; it also contains a script I wrote for it and a recording I made walking a friend through the game basics.

It's been there for just over 2 months and I haven't done anything more for it.

It's a good game, but you probably ought wait until it is out of early access.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

anilEhilated posted:

I know I posted here before, but there is actually something I am somewhat curious about : the reason folks start doing in the first place. Mine was, honestly, pretty weird: I did Shadow Warrior because I learned of its existence here and ended up loving the game, so I figured if I do this, maybe it will affect someone else and it goes full circle. Kind of a game from SA, for SA.
Weird, yes.
Every single game I LP'd was basically "this is a cool obscure game more people should know about".

With the sole exception of Sorcery (but CYOA book's aren't really LP's in that sense) and the two LPs I took over.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

anilEhilated posted:

I know I posted here before, but there is actually something I am somewhat curious about : the reason folks start doing in the first place. Mine was, honestly, pretty weird: I did Shadow Warrior because I learned of its existence here and ended up loving the game, so I figured if I do this, maybe it will affect someone else and it goes full circle. Kind of a game from SA, for SA.
Weird, yes.

The reason I started LPing was mostly because I wanted to memorialize Safecracker. I liked it a lot, but it was really obscure and I couldn't find a lot online about it, so I figured getting a complete LP up on the Archive would be a good start. Things kind of spiraled from there.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

anilEhilated posted:

I know I posted here before, but there is actually something I am somewhat curious about : the reason folks start doing in the first place.

My first Let's Play was for Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, which was at the time recent and hard to get a full copy of (the PSP version was like a month old when I started, with the only other version being the Wii one which cost $37 for the full game). A year or two before I did the LP, I read a post in Games that went into the end game, and after reading that I knew I had to try it for myself and show it off to people. Took me three attempts in the Sandcastle and a trip to the Tech Support Fort before I was satisfied enough to make the thread for it, and after a bit of time it really took off and is probably still the most popular of my LPs, probably because all my other LPs were of games already done by other people beforehand, besides SimAnt.

That one has its problems, mainly the screenshots being pretty ugly because I used a cheap-rear end EasyCAP or whatever to capture interlaced S-Video from my Wii, and instances where I'd just slam eight or nine screenshots in a row with no commentary or text dialogue to break things up, but I'm still happy with how I dug into the game and explained why it was flawed and also praised it in the instances where it was good. Rereading the thread right now, the only thing I really regret is doing a ton of "You think it's bad now, wait until you see what happens next!" bullshit during the thread. I also kinda wish I went with GIFs and/or videos, which I actually messed with my first two attempts before going with straight screenshots, but both of those would've been ugly anyway due to how I captured the game. Still surprised with how much effort I put into the game, doing stuff like character and art updates on top of the 75ish main updates and ten or so challenge/bonus updates all in five months.

But yeah, I started as a combination of wanting to show that drat game off and loving reading SSLPs from the likes of Orange Fluffy Sheep, ddegenha, Bellmaker, and many others and wanting to do my own take on them. Plus it gave me an excuse to finally stop lurking and start posting more.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ramc posted:

It's a good game, but you probably ought wait until it is out of early access.

Agreed. I have about three-quarters of an idea for a Darkest Dungeon LP that I feel will work out really well, but the game as it stands right now isn't worth LPing. It doesn't have an end, and there's no real feeling of accomplishment from completing all the objectives they give you.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

I know I posted here before, but there is actually something I am somewhat curious about : the reason folks start doing in the first place.

I wanted to do an LP but I didn't know what of. ChaosArgate found out I hadn't played Ocarina of Time and suggested that to me and since I always wanted to play it anyway, LPing it seemed like a good motivator to actually finish it, and it seemed like it would be a lot of fun. Turns out both things were very true

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mega64 posted:

But yeah, I started as a combination of wanting to show that drat game off and loving reading SSLPs from the likes of Orange Fluffy Sheep, ddegenha, Bellmaker, and many others and wanting to do my own take on them. Plus it gave me an excuse to finally stop lurking and start posting more.

I caused more people to experience TAY?

I can never forgive myself.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I caused more people to experience TAY?

I can never forgive myself.

I hope 'becoming history's greatest monster via the medium of LP' was on your bucket list.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
Every LP I've ever done was a trainwreck but that's my own drat fault so I guess I can't really be too upset at it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I hope 'becoming history's greatest monster via the medium of LP' was on your bucket list.

And if it wasn't, you should put it there.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

UZworm posted:

Every LP I've ever done was a trainwreck but that's my own drat fault so I guess I can't really be too upset at it.

They were all good trainwrecks and you should go finish that one you abandoned with the educational games. At least I think that was your LP. It's been so long.

I don't even remember where all the other videos are or were.

Please come back uzworm

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

anilEhilated posted:

I started because I like talking about video games and showing people cool things that I like about them. It's a lot of fun to just hang out and play video games with friends and this is just an extension of that! Plus, I really like playing around with video editing software so I get to learn more about post-production stuff as I go along.

Faerie Fortune posted:

I wanted to do an LP but I didn't know what of. ChaosArgate found out I hadn't played Ocarina of Time and suggested that to me and since I always wanted to play it anyway, LPing it seemed like a good motivator to actually finish it, and it seemed like it would be a lot of fun. Turns out both things were very true

You know, if we weren't doing the LP, I probably would've made you finish the game months ago. :v:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

anilEhilated posted:

Mad LP ca$$$h.

Nah. I had finished watching some of Chip and Ironicus' stuff and it seemed like fun, so I did one of my own with my co-commentator (he had done one that i guested in before but he removed it from the internet forever because it was really really bad). One Happauge and stumbling through how to video edit later, Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction was started.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Me? It's for Lunar. I noticed that there were no Lunar LPs on the archive, and since I love Lunar I wanted that to change.

Although it's funny that Lunar 1 took so loving long to finally do, since I pretty much did it out of obligation. I mean, I like the game, but for me the sequel was the endgame. I didn't originally plan to LP anything after Lunar 2, but that didn't remain true.

Actually can I just admit that the only reason I did Dragon Song is because I knew it was going to be more popular than anything else I did? I didn't expect the response I got, mind you, but I did know it was going to be more popular.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Regrets are fairly minimal; Rondo of Swords and Demon King Chronicle were intended as practice for Saga Frontier 2, and now that I'm on my third LP updates are easy to do (if still time-consuming). That said, I'm awful at updating if I break a schedule (took me a while to get back on it after my laptop died during RoS, and finishing DKC's bonus content took way too long), and I've had some incompetent technical bits throughout (waiting twenty updates to get transparent portraits in RoS, wrong screenshot size at the start of SF2, initial bad method for cropping sprites for dialogue in SF2)... Also currently regretting not learning video recording/editing before starting, since it'd be nice to at least have the option. But on the whole I'm mostly satisfied.

Having people say "wow, I didn't think this game would have such a good story" or "I want to play this game now" is nice, and I think I've managed it on all three LPs, so objective accomplished there. I do kind of regret not having another entry on the "definitely want to LP this" list, though; Dragon Quarter and Minstrel Song are definite possibilities, but I'd have to figure out the technical aspects on those first, what with my current POS placeholder laptop. There's just a really weird feeling from being at the last stretch of a game I've wanted to LP since I found out LPs were a thing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Weird, yes.

Blind Sally dragged me into it kicking and screaming.

Well, that's only half true. I'd seem my share of cool LPs over the years since it became a big thing on SA, and I always sort of held this fantasy of doing one myself eventually and getting to interact with cool people like MaxwellAdams, or Diabetus, or slowbeef (before he probated me :v:), but I never found the right game for it. Then White Knight Chronicles came along. That was the only game I needed to LP just to vent like three years of pent up self-inflicted frustration with it.

What I'm actually having more fun doing these days than working on my own Let's Plays is guest commentary for other peoples' LPs. I've sort of been lucky and have fallen into a decently sized stable of really cool folks to guest comment with and if I'm able to, I'm always down to hop in on something and just riff on a game with folks. If I know anything about the game I can add in another perspective on what's going on if need be, or if I don't, I can always play the Watson and ask the "obvious question" to help the host explain the game better. Though mostly, I'm there to have fun and hopefully try to get people to laugh at this, that, or the other.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Cheez posted:

They were all good trainwrecks and you should go finish that one you abandoned with the educational games. At least I think that was your LP. It's been so long.

I believe you're thinking of coinbox. There were a lot of guests, though, and UZworm may have been among them.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

anilEhilated posted:

Initially, it was just because of boredom. It was late May and I was not taking any summer classes or jobs at the time, plus I had exhausted all the games I had in my backlog from within the last month or so. Figured I'd do something completely new and figured doing a Let's Play was that. I already was a fan of some of the LPs I had seen on the archive like TheDarkId, Chip and Ironicus, and so on, and using that as a base of inspiration led me to buying an account for this.

Though nowadays, my reason is now similar to others in that there are some obscure games that I'd like to show off and make people aware of. I mean, I have a long term goal to show off the Armored Core series all the way to the end of the PS2, even though I don't have that plan fully mapped out and am lacking in some tools to make it all work. But it's a way to keep me motivated in continuing to do LPs for the foreseeable instead of making it a one time thing (and after the hurdles I ran into with my very first one, it would've been very easy to call it quits there) so I'm glad for that.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I joined for sweet LP dollars

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm currently at -30$ because I decided to buy gif movie gear but i'll be back in the black soon

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

anilEhilated posted:

It was when Sundowner's "Bad Games" megathread was still up, and I remembered a really boring Czech adventure game called "Next Life", so I asked Grace to talk over it with me since I'm not funny on my own.

God the first time I played I got through like, half the game before stopping and never looked at a walkthrough. While recording, the entire time I followed a guide and I still can't comprehend how I figured that poo poo out. :psyduck: Why the gently caress would you walk five screens over to steel a hubcap on a crashed car in order to hold sand when there's an unclickable bucket five feet away from the sand?

Also considering this is the LP regrets thread, god I wish I had even a semblance of editing expertise in that LP. :( No one believes me when I tell them how loving stupid that game got, but I also don't want anyone to see my technical ineptitude and terrible loving audio.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 27, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I started it way back in 2011 because I wasn't doing anything with my life aside from going to school and it helps that I really enjoy video games. So when I met Deeds at uni, he told me about this place, I got an account, lurked for a while, then made my own LPs. It's been over a year now and I've done six of the drat things and while I may hate all of them, I enjoyed it too.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Nidoking posted:

I believe you're thinking of coinbox. There were a lot of guests, though, and UZworm may have been among them.
Oh, I found it. Let's Play Sierra Discovery Series. Definitely UZworm. I guess I didn't remember anything about it because I was only lurking accountless at the time.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

anilEhilated posted:

Love of showing off videogames, although I prefer ones that don't get a whole boatload of justice, and really wanna work out how to do some old 8 bit games without numpties going "So, it's like a really lovely [more popular franchise]"

Not the point, the point is that some of these games gave rise to other games, and every game shows us something about game design and gaming history, and it's all really interesting stuff! Well, except some of the games themselves, that's half the problem. (One day, 8-bit puzzle platformers... One day...)

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

anilEhilated posted:

I was extremely bored one rainy day and somehow stumbled upon the LP archive, and started watching an LP of Prince of Persia by Psychedelic Eyeball. That was my introduction, but it was discovering the Freelance Astronauts that made me actually think about doing something like this myself.

After joining in with the Super Meat Boy races I learned a bit about video editing and made friends with people far funnier than I am. Honestly the reason is that I just wanted to have some fun making videos. I ended up having a lot of fun, making a lot of videos, and garnering a middling degree of internet fame. Since I stopped LPing I've had a lot of fun getting back into watching LPs again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I regret being a pretty sub-par guest commentator in any videos I've been in. It's been hard to find my flow when it comes to commentary, I can be a bit loud, and somehow I simultaneously don't know when to talk and don't know when to stop talking.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I think I saw some of the Kaizo Mario videos and basically said "Well poo poo, I can do this too." I had a microphone, a TV tuner card (I can't loving believe I ever recorded ANYTHING with that piece of hardware), and some powerhouse software lying around thanks to another hobby that I was in the process of abandoning.

My only real regret is that the games I enjoy pulling apart the most (turn-based strategies) just do not lend themselves well to videos at all, and videos are frankly much more fun to produce.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Blind Sally dragged me into it kicking and screaming.

Well, that's only half true. I'd seem my share of cool LPs over the years since it became a big thing on SA, and I always sort of held this fantasy of doing one myself eventually and getting to interact with cool people like MaxwellAdams, or Diabetus, or slowbeef (before he probated me :v:), but I never found the right game for it. Then White Knight Chronicles came along. That was the only game I needed to LP just to vent like three years of pent up self-inflicted frustration with it.

What I'm actually having more fun doing these days than working on my own Let's Plays is guest commentary for other peoples' LPs. I've sort of been lucky and have fallen into a decently sized stable of really cool folks to guest comment with and if I'm able to, I'm always down to hop in on something and just riff on a game with folks. If I know anything about the game I can add in another perspective on what's going on if need be, or if I don't, I can always play the Watson and ask the "obvious question" to help the host explain the game better. Though mostly, I'm there to have fun and hopefully try to get people to laugh at this, that, or the other.

I do like how there's been a group of LPers like you, Sally, CJacobs, and Lazyfire who have started all getting in on each others' videos. It helps that you're all pretty good at LPs in general, but you're part of a good core group here.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I started LPing because I'd been babysitting some kids who were almost done with Twilight Princess but couldn't beat something near the end, so I helped them finish it, and remembered that the game wasn't that bad and wanted to play it again, and figured I might as well record it because I had an EasyCap. I started LPing on SA because I wanted to be more popular as an LPer; and then after I bought my account I got over that and realised that there wasn't an LP of Everything or Nothing, and wanted to do the game justice. Now I do it because there are games I like that I want to show people that would otherwise go unnoticed, and because making and editing videos is really fun.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 27, 2015

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
My main regret?

Deciding to try and show off all of the incidental dialog in a JRPG that even the creators admitted was text-heavy.

Well, that and having "Psh, the last guy who LP'd this rushed through everything and didn't do a good job. I should do it!" as my initial motivation.

... And not really trying to understand the game outside of "Well, I've beaten it a few times, despite not really understanding how some important mechanics work" before starting.

Everything else is more of a sub-regret. :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Edward_Tohr posted:

... And not really trying to understand the game outside of "Well, I've beaten it a few times, despite not really understanding how some important mechanics work" before starting.

I've aborted a couple LP ideas due to this too :v: The worst offender being an idea I had for a legislative SSLP of "Space Empires V" which I had second thoughts about when I went to explain some of the mechanics and realized the manual is 300 pages long. Also because it ended up looking too much like a carbon copy of Bobbin Threadbare's Galciv2 LP

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I wish future me who figured out how to not talk so fast sometimes and think better would go back and tell past me to not talk so fast sometimes and think better.

I have 2 LPs to date, a Blood Bowl run which is finished and a Blood Bowl run which is ongoing. It's a very mechanics heavy and dice rolley game, and in the course of trying to explain something I ended up getting numbers or information wrong. Because it's a sports-RPG with set matches, I'm also usually trying to think forward to what's going to happen so I can try to drive the "narrative" for a match and point out important plays and stuff as they happen. So because I'm thinking too hard about what I'm going to say while I'm trying to say stuff I think I know, I end up saying something wrong. And while it's not a massive deal I do feel bad listening back to stuff and hearing something which is clearly wrong. I've edited stuff out before (I even re recorded me saying the word four in the correct tone and cadence once because I accidentally said three), and I wish I did it more.

Thought it would get better this time around as I focus more on slowing down and being right but it hasn't really yet.

Other than that I'm really happy with my workflow and getting updates out and stuff, it really helps that I sat down and thought about it all first and did some test recordings first. Thread interaction and direct involvement was one of the biggest draws for me as well and if I ever do an LP that isn't this dumb dice game I'd make sure that there was plenty of that.

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 27, 2015

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

anilEhilated posted:

Weird, yes.

I did my first one because I really love Cold War era stuff, it's really fascinating time in the world where you had these two global powers trying to convince the other they were more likely than the other to end all life on the planet and engaging each other in the backwaters of the world while building a series of technological innovations that 20 years earlier were the stuff of science fiction. While Call of Duty: Black Ops wasn't the best game in the world (and had the most predictable twist ever) it was set in the Cold War and gave me a reason to write paragraphs about Cold War stuff. Right after that was finished I did another LP my heart just wasn't in by midway through and decided not to do any more of them for a while.

Outside of a brief break I haven't really stopped doing some form of LP since I got back into it. I can't even remember why I came back to it, but I've had lots of fun doing things, so whatever right there.

chitoryu12 posted:

I do like how there's been a group of LPers like you, Sally, CJacobs, and Lazyfire who have started all getting in on each others' videos. It helps that you're all pretty good at LPs in general, but you're part of a good core group here.

I really like guesting on other people's videos because it's like being an extra in a movie: I'm there, you hear me but I'm not overly important in the entire process.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

anilEhilated posted:

Weird, yes.

For Final Fantasy VI and Fire Emblem 8, they were asking for volunteers.

No, really. It was either the Sandcastle or the LP Request thread that was saying "Boy, I sure wish someone would do an LP of FF6/FE8." I think part of it was also that they were saying that nobody could do a decent LP of FF6 for some reason. I really don't know why they thought that at the time, but it inspired me to prove them wrong.

As for Live-a-Live, it was mostly because I thought it'd be easy. And it would have been if I was using my modern workflow. Instead, I was uploading screenshots one at a time and transcribing the dialogue directly instead of finding a script online, so it turned out to be harder than I thought.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
I'm not even done making an LP yet, and I'm already regretting so many things.

I've had the thought of doing an LP for quite a while after I've discovered that it was an actual thing that people did.
But I didn't really have a game that I felt it was worth taking the effort to show off. Don't get me wrong, LP's of Megaman, and Dark Souls can be perfectly
entertaining, but it's not really the game that is being shown off more, than it's the LP'er. So it wasn't until I was digging in my memory of all the old games I've played,
that I remembered that Legend of Kartia existed.

And sadly, it's not like I have anything better to do, because my life is incredibly boring.
So I jumped into it pretty blindly. And holy poo poo should I have spent more time hammering out the flaws.
But I don't really regret them, because the flaws were blind to me until they were pointed out to me.

It wasn't until the LP curse hit me, like a brand marking me for life, that my work flow improved.
Because I finally had two screens, so transcribing text became much less of a hassle now that I didn't have to change windows all the drat time.

The thing I hate the most about the LP is having to put in music links.
It's sort of a post process for me as it's something I do after I'm done writing everything.
But I can't actually remember what track plays where, so I have to boot up the game.
Listen to the music.
Listen to each track on Youtube until I've identified the track.
Become frustrated when the track isn't there.
Give up.

I'm also lazy by nature and since people haven't actually been complaining about it, I couldn't be bothered to continue.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

anilEhilated posted:

My favorite hobbies are video games and creative writing, so once a friend pointed out the LP archive and therefore SA to me it was really a question of when I'd join rather than if. I cut my teeth on SSLP's, but I've moved to videos now because I'd rather put my creative juices into novels rather than things that won't even potentially make me money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xander77 posted:

(I kinda miss the PYF SA Drama thread)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706779

anilEhilated posted:

I did The Blackwell Legacy because the series is really great and I always want to recommend it to people, but the first game is kind of bad, so I wanted an LP of it to exist that I could just point people to so they could get through it and then start with the second game, which is where the series gets good. Now I'm doing Cognition because it's a fun thing to do with my friend, and it's a bad enough game that it's pretty easy to make fun of.

• Locked thread