Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I have a dirty little secret. I have been waiting years for someone to come along and do an LP of Fire Emblem 7, purely so that people will stop recommending mine. That doesn't mean that I think it's bad, or that I'm one PM away from telling baldurk to unlist it, far from it. But it's important to be honest, and that entire LP is one frustrating learning experience after another. And frankly? It kind of astounds me that absolutely no one has taken another swing at it before now, because I know it could be done so much better.

But let's back up second. The reason this thread even exists at all is because of a small discussion over in the recommendation thread, and I thought that it deserved a chance to be fleshed out a bit. Obviously, we learn from every LP we do. Every thread helps us tweak and refine our style, and I think it would be cool to have a place where we can look back and say "Hey, that idea was really good and defined the entire rest of the LP!" (Or conversely, "What the gently caress was I thinking when I put those videos together? How did anyone want to watch this LP?")

For me, FE7 was always "my game," the reason I wanted to do an LP in the first place. I tackled Mystic Quest first to try and get a bead on exactly what I was getting myself into, but let's be honest, there's a world of difference between what was literally "baby's first RPG" and a 30 hour SRPG that you have to beat twice to fully show off. So while it was technically my second LP, it was the first one that I put any serious effort or production values into, and good lord does it show. The writing in particular kills me these days - you can literally see my style changing on a chapter-by-chapter basis, and the actual LP itself changed from a play-by-play to a more general "And here's what happened in between these level up screens" summary about a quarter of the way in, which has got to be jarring as gently caress. Hell, by the time we reached the later parts of Hector's Story, it's not wrong to say that the LP was almost entirely level-up screens, with a token mention of what was going on tactically at any given time.

And speaking of Hector's Story, that was a mess in and of itself. I don't remember who did the "dual commentary SSLP" thing first (I want to say it was Alkydere and Katarani Sword?), but I stole it wholesale and I do still think it worked out pretty well. By virtue of the fact that Hector's Story is mostly identical to Eliwood's, there was a lot less to say about the game itself, so having someone else to help fill the gaps was good. With that said, I have no idea why the gently caress I thought bringing in a third person was a good idea. Trying to keep regular, bolded, and underlined text straight on top of timing jokes and everything was a nightmare. (Not that it stopped me from doing it again in FE6, but we could be here for hours if I got talking about that LP :v:) I guess I was desperate for anything at that point because there's only so much to say when you're at hour 28 in the second pass of a 30 hour game.

Yeah, a lot of those mistakes were growing pains, and if I hadn't made them in that LP, I wouldn't be able to recoil in horror at them for knowing better today. But they're still there, and it seems kind of weird that someone qualified their preference of another FE7 LP with "not to criticize Artix, but..." because there is so much to criticize. It's okay to say it was a little rough around the edges. Believe me, it is! I'll be the first to tell you that! At this point, I'm just glad someone else is there to take that torch, because frankly it's kind of sad that it held up as the gold standard for FE7 this long.

So that's my story. What's yours? Is there an LP that you loved to put together? One that (for better or worse) defined the kind of LPer you are now? Have any stories about an LP going catastrophically wrong? Just be reasonable about things - this isn't the place to fellate yourself over how awesome that LP you did a few months ago is, nor is it meant to give you a platform to poo poo all over your (or someone else's) work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Artix posted:

So that's my story. What's yours? Is there an LP that you loved to put together? One that (for better or worse) defined the kind of LPer you are now? Have any stories about an LP going catastrophically wrong? Just be reasonable about things - this isn't the place to fellate yourself over how awesome that LP you did a few months ago is, nor is it meant to give you a platform to poo poo all over your (or someone else's) work.

I hope you guys all paid attention to that last part! There's plenty of potential for very interesting discussions here, so please don't mess it up or Geop and I shall be cross.

All we ask, really, is that you be sincere.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 23, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ostian princess could have been a lot funnier than it was but on the other hand it was basically like playing lyn's story without the hope of eventually getting to an actually fun game so i dont really blame myself for half-assing it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I never stole that Genji Helm.

It's like a microcosm of how much better I understand FF5 now.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I started an LP of Might and Magic 6 that I was having a lot of fun with, until the LP Curse hit and my computer caught a virus so stubborn it resulted in needing to reformat my entire harddrive, completely wiping out all of my game files, my saved updates, and my backups of both those things.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Frolf is the perfect example of an LP filled with regret

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It's small but I wish I had learned how to make proper .gif images before doing my Breath of Fire LP's. It would have made certain scenes much more evocative and easy to showcase.

I am also slightly embarrassed at the ham-handed narrative I tried to weave into both of them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I made a grand total of one LP. It made me realize that coming up with commentary is an unholy amount of work. Guess I'm a naturally uninteresting person... But if I ever LP something else, it'll be a game with lots and lots of voice acting.
edit: Or screenshots. Maybe I should try screenshots, although that's apparently even worse workload-wise.
edit: I also wish I hadn't used the phrase "stick a shuriken up my rear end" in a video.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 23, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Scintilla posted:

It's small but I wish I had learned how to make proper .gif images before doing my Breath of Fire LP's. It would have made certain scenes much more evocative and easy to showcase.

I am also slightly embarrassed at the ham-handed narrative I tried to weave into both of them.
the breath of fire 1 one was pretty hamhanded but i liked the personality you gave ryu in the bof 2 one and it at least made the story flow a little better than putting '...'s next to his portrait a ton.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I have no idea why I decided it would be fun to LP No More Heroes 2 right after coming off an LP of the dismal PS3 port of the first. I just ended up burning out on that game by the end and there really wasn't too much to say about the game by the end. I wanted something easy to LP so I could kind of just ease myself into VLPs a bit better because before those, I tried LPs independently on YouTube and that was just poo poo. Really, the only thing I can really say I did in my NMH LPs that wasn't already shown off in Chip's was go over why using character select cheats for Boss Battle mode wasn't really a good idea for the most part and give a detailed look over of Travis's apartment.

Even before that I thought it was a good idea to LP Devil Survivor 1 and try to show off everything. I jumped ship extremely early as soon as I realized just how much that would require from me and realized SSLPs are not for me.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I heard recently that every author hates everything they write that's older than five years. If that's true, then I'm way ahead of the curve because I hate everything I create as soon as it's finished.

Putting that aside, though, when I look through my Youtube channel it appears as though my Thief trilogy and Deus Ex LP's are my most popular since their first episodes have hit five digits in views and their follow-ups aren't too far behind. I'll admit it's flattering to see Deus Ex catch up despite a three year gap since I did put a lot of effort into it, but I still don't fully understand what people see in my Thief LP's. I barely knew a thing about video editing back then and the videos are harshly chopped bite-size pieces of missions where I mumble about how much trouble the games were giving me. I didn't even duck the audio at all. I get comments every now and then that say I sound like Garrett or ask if I was trying to do an impression of him, but all I did was speak quietly and quite honestly I don't hear the comparison myself. To be completely frank, I don't know why anybody listens to me at all.

As for my SSLP's, I'd say my two biggest projects were the Quest for Glory series and Academagia. Regarding the first, I wish I hadn't been quite so juvenile in my attempts at humor and "improving" the story, and while I never hear anyone talk about the latter, I still have a soft spot for Iliana's antics and how much she taught me about writing a long-form story.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

To be completely frank, I don't know why anybody listens to me at all.
This is probably completely optional, but respectively your Thief 2 and Brutal Legend LPs introduced me to what became two of my favorite bands, Symphony x and Ayreon.
Soo... I guess I listen for occassional music?

To be fair, the Thief LPs are really, really relaxing and at least for me a good way to relive the games without having bother with setting them up and modding out the spiders.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Putting that aside, though, when I look through my Youtube channel it appears as though my Thief trilogy and Deus Ex LP's are my most popular since their first episodes have hit five digits in views and their follow-ups aren't too far behind. I'll admit it's flattering to see Deus Ex catch up despite a three year gap since I did put a lot of effort into it, but I still don't fully understand what people see in my Thief LP's. I barely knew a thing about video editing back then and the videos are harshly chopped bite-size pieces of missions where I mumble about how much trouble the games were giving me. I didn't even duck the audio at all. I get comments every now and then that say I sound like Garrett or ask if I was trying to do an impression of him, but all I did was speak quietly and quite honestly I don't hear the comparison myself. To be completely frank, I don't know why anybody listens to me at all.

The other Thief LPs were made by Khad.
Contrast is a hell of a drug.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
My Skies of Arcadia LP would have been vastly, vastly improved if I hadn't filled with commentary with dumb references to whatever I happened to be doing at the time. There's everything from Homestuck to Arkham City in there and none of it makes any sense in hindsight.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I mostly regret the LPs I started up and then never finished. So much wasted potential and never enough time.

That said, my Azure Dreams LP on the archive...man. It's like looking in a time machine to myself just as I got out of high school, some of the humor in there was pretty juvenile. So strange to see how much I've come since then, and how refined my recording methods are.

It's also awkward to look at my Wild ARMs Alter Code: F LP, since I did it with another person who has since been banned (with a great deal of forums drama, let's not bring this up) and his LPs removed from the archive. Part of me wants to rewrite the entire thing to make it seem like it was on it's own, but the whole LP was contrasting the remake with the original.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I ended up LP'ing like 13 Duke Nukem games because I was tired of people calling Duke Nukem a franchise that was ruined by Duke Nukem Forever. Those people were massively incorrect and I wanted to show them....it was a horrible mistake on my part.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'll say this. For the most part, I'm pretty happy with how all my LP's turned out. In fact, here's a terrible secret which reveals how egocentric I am: I regularly reread most of my old LP's.

That said, if there was one LP I'd redo, it'd be Legend of Mana. I kinda regret going a narrative route for that one, and I mainly did it because there was already a regular one and wanted to differentiate a take on my favorite game. I also butchered a lot of GIFs since I was still new at making them and by the end was so burned out I skipped a bunch of side stuff I wanted to cover. The narrative itself was more stale and dull than offensively bad, and I eventually just did batches of commentary alongside the narrative anyway. That said, I doubt I'd ever redo it since the game took me like eight months to do to begin with.

Otherwise, I like trying different things in my various SSLP's. I decided to go very informative for FF4 since people responded positively to that stuff in my TAY LP, I went more goofy for stuff like SimAnt and FF5, tried Dark Id-style character commentary for FF6 since the game had been done to death anyway, and I even enjoyed the narrative I did for my first Harvest Moon LP before I abandoned it (probably the one abandoned LP I'd love to revisit someday). I like doing different things with each LP to keep things fresh.

I'll stop for now because I could go on forever about this kind of stuff because I'm hosed in the head.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I honestly can't stand any of my solo-commentary LPs. I mean, if I jumped on a new LP with solo commentary, it'd be fine. But looking back on AC1 & AC2, it wasn't until the end of the second that I got the hang of "talking to myself". Also, some of my history segments (especially the first ones) relied on some pretty rigid notes/outlines; can't even listen to them these days. I think around early AC2, I got back in to my groove and didn't need them much.

I've enjoyed Dark Souls, The Last of Us, and Wind Waker immensely, though, because it's mostly just me talking with pals :v: Thanks to DS & WW, I've taken a shine to blind LPs with assistance. Being a bumbling gamer by nature, it can mean fun times.

Biggest LP regret was doing Killer is Dead. I mean, the first time I played it? It was odd, stupid, wasn't a good game, but some invisible charm snagged me. Second playthrough? Something happened and I had the complete-and-opposite experience. Doing the LP, I just didn't enjoy it, period. Unfortunately, it caused my commentary to not be all that great. I still regret roping reinhold in to it (although he probably had it coming) for the long-haul, and then Chip & Ironicus for that one update.

Also really not a fan of my Shadow of the Colossus LP :arghfist: Kinda want to re-do it with the HD version, and make it more along the lines of what I originally hoped for. Vocal commentary leading to the colossus, all subs once there, and a quick segment covering info about the colossus (the update notes were a wall of text for that LP, and I think they would've been way better like this).

That said, I have to struggle to think of any point where I've looked at one of my old LP videos for more than a minute or two. This makes it easy to not think about AC1/AC2 stuff, oof.

Edit: Wait, I'm on my seventh LP? Jesus :psyduck:

Geop fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 23, 2015

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Golgo 13.

Funny story, when we first got the subforum, it took a bit for people to make new LPs. People who hated LP breathed sighs of relief that the annoyance had been finally removed from Games, and people who liked LP were worried that LP would die.

I had the idea to VLP Golgo 13.

A dude named Dave_O kept IMing me; I didn't know him from Adam but figured "gently caress it" and let him guest. It was like striking gold; he was one of the funniest loving people I've ever run into. I unfortunately chose Nestopia which - at the time - had an issue where the recording framerate would drop to poo poo the longer it ran. Our first video dropped into single digits in the second half...

...But no one complained. Everyone loved it, so we just decided to fix it in video 2.

Well, it didn't really get fixed until like Video 3 and then the LP had other problems with audio sync (which I manually fixed over and over and over), and the fact that Golgo 13 is actually obscenely hard and due to Netplay, I couldn't use savestates. It was a disaster of sorts...

...But no one was complaining!

Then I saw when I finally got a thread rating that I was at 4 bars, which kinda said "well, something is wrong, but people aren't saying so." Then you had LP Celebrity Worship and criticism never got addressed in other threads, and that's sort of what led to where we were, to my mind. So I and others started lobbying for higher standards. I will contend holding ourselves to better standards really did help long run, especially considering how much we were hated at the time, but it probably went too far as the forum lifecycle continued.

I hope this doesn't derail poo poo into Blasting Zone territory as that derail isn't my intention. It's just sort of a story about how a failed Golgo 13 LP early on kinda shaped things.

edit: It was really my fault for not asking Dave_O to re-record or thinking of post commentary (which wasn't a thing at the time), but all the positive feedback in the thread led me to believe it was fine as is. But it's one of my biggest LP REGRETS (Regretsplays?)

edit2: I know the "thread rating of 4" sounds dumb as hell, but people always vote 5 or 1 on SA, so the 4 kinda told me people had issues with it but were afraid to say so for whatever reason.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 23, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chorocojo actually redid his Pokémon Emerald LP (the original is still on archives.org while the new one is on his and Zorak's website). I found it pretty interesting to compare the changes he made, along with Red's improvement as an artist.

Has any other LPer done such a redo?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
LP has been just, just SO much fun.

So my very first LP, The Colonel's Bequest, was so great it's been hard to not just try to repeat it endlessly, which really wouldn't have worked. It was a really unique game, in that it was vague without being incoherent, and the ending was weird and ambiguous enough that I let the thread do their own ending, which was far superior, in my mind, to the game's actual ending. I came up with my own, but I'm a so-so writer, so it was whatever.

I think I got my account and immediately posted the first update for it, which was kind of taking a risk (I'd lurked a bit!), but it worked out super well. I don't know if I ever said this, but at one point, Doug Herring, a guy who was instrumental in the early Sierra game studio, was going to do some commentary for it and an interview, but then he saw my intro video where I made fun of King's Quest being repetitive and just cut off all contact forever. I kind of felt bad about it? But I've had interviews with devs whose games I trashed far, FAR more (see: Bureau 13) who were much cooler. Good luck, Doug. I'd put down money he's LARPing right now in his huge outdoor complex in California, so I guess he probably doesn't worry about a snarky LP.

Ken and Roberta Williams wrote back and forth with me for like 3 emails, so that was pretty awesome, too. They kind of live on another planet these days, just out of contact for weeks while they skiff around on their pleasure yacht somewhere in Europe. Don't lie and say you'd want it any other way.

Other than that, man, I've learned a bunch, talked to a ton of people I never would have otherwise - I'd seriously encourage everybody to try to put some background stuff in their LP. I've talked to a professor of Egyptology in Cairo (over the phone) about the Book of the Dead, gotten to talk to a bunch of crusty old developers about the process of game development, had a sort of half-abortive interview with a huge Lucha Libre star, and hung out with my best friend while recording (we're still on Baldur's Gate, I PROMISE).

Biggest regret would have to be whiffing the end of The Manhole. Like I said, I'm a so-so writer, and I set up what I think is a really cool story, and just overexplained the ending, kind of grinding the reveal into dust.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 23, 2015

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I didn't do too many Lps before I got into preserving videos, but I did enjoy doing the old Final Fantasy Legends 2 LP. Looking at it now, the writing is very rough and all the screenshots are so tiny. I would love to redo it with the DS remake, but honestly Chokes McGee and ddegenha already did great LPs of that game that I don't really feel like a redo is needed.

There was other failed LPs I did like Gemfire where I tried to make it interactive on a obscure strategy game, or the first Final Fantasy Legends where I got to about 2/3 into the game before I just lost total interest in the game and stopped having any fun playing it...then there was the Zelda 2 LP.

The Zelda 2 LP was just a disaster as I wasn't wanting to use a mic at the time and against cknoor better judgement I went ahead and did not only a subtitle LP of a action game, but a gimmick one where I skipped certain things in the game. Only good thing to over come out of it was this video Psychedelic Eyeball made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtTgm3ysIxE

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I've done a couple of updates for some Paradox threads and each one kinda shows me why I don't do LP's on my own. A lot of the time I get frustrated with the game itself and forget to take screenshots or I take a bunch of screenshots and only use a few. Not to mention that every time my turns seem to come up is right when real life kicks into overdrive. Add obscene time limits that only I ever seem to follow and I end up rushing my updates and they look like crap.

Maybe if I did my own Paradox LP and didn't really have to worry about time limits and whatnot I could do a much better job, but even then I'm too ambitious to really begin. I got to start as early as possible for maximum history fuckage. :downs:

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
I wish I'd done a better job showing off Wild Arms 3. I really lost steam partway through and let it sit unupdated for months and months, which was a shame because I think it's a good game and my delay lost all its audience. I think the LP finished strong but most people weren't watching any more.

Also should have done a lot more for the City of Heroes thread, but that's a bigger ball of regrets.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
It was an unexpected discovery for me how much more work SSLPs are than video, at least once you get your pipeline down.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Artix posted:

Have any stories about an LP going catastrophically wrong?

This one's easy.

Kaizo Mario World.

No, not because the game was an unholy abomination that shouldn't exist, or because the LP itself was technically sub-par, but because it was 2007 (holy poo poo it's been that long!?) and it was a thing to be completely mental at video games and froth at the mouth while recording yourself playing games. I was also usually drunk when recording, which only made things worse as you may imagine. Ultimately I was so ashamed of that poo poo that when I got back to LPing a few years back, I distanced myself from my previous accounts. In retrospect, it may have been overkill, but I'm still rather glad I don't have to deal with all the private messages from my "fanbase" from back then. Doesn't matter what was in them - someone wanting to either kill me or gently caress me or both - it was all terrible.

The rest I'm pretty much ok with. Although I'd love to redo Quake at some point, it still deserves to be LPed without technical difficulties and crap commentary.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

No regrets on my FF3 (the NES) one LP, but I should have SSed the "cutscenes" in my FF4 LP as well as doing videos.

Also I cheat coded that Pink Tail drop because I wasn't doing that poo poo legit~

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Why people gotta live in the past? The journey is the reward, not the destination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2zyeVRcbs

Geop posted:

I still regret roping reinhold in to it (although he probably had it coming) for the long-haul, and then Chip & Ironicus for that one update.

You made more than an LP, my man. You made... a friend. Look behind you, there's another set of footprints in the sand.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I wouldn't mind going back to redo Super Mario RPG; it was my first one, and I was doing it for more therapeutic reasons than anything else, but looking back, it has an amateur feel to it, and some of the commentary is sub-par, and I did that stupid thing where I ground Geno up to level 6 after getting him.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I suck at making videos apparently and it's one of the reasons I don't think I want my Starforce 3 LP to be in the Archive (in addition to the fact I didn't get the silver stars as promised). I just looked at some of my early videos and they are poo poo and I have no way to redo them.

If/When I finish my DysSys LP, I am not going to LP any VNs in the near future. I realized too late that transcribing text was tolerable only if I could snag some gameplay in the process too.

Also I will get a schedule. Really I will. One of these days.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
Hitman 2 and Hitman Contracts. While I don't think they were bad LPs, I spent way too much time planning and playing and replaying each mission. The goal was to show off the Silent Assassin methods for each mission, but doing it in a way that would minimize the amount of time spent waiting for things to happen. Rather than use editing like any rational person would do, I planned the missions in way that would always have 47 moving forward, which required me to know where every NPC would be at what time. This resulted in far more work than it should have been and, more importantly, killed my interest in the Hitman series as a whole. You could say it was just burnout, but it has been over a year since I completed the Contracts LP and I haven't played a Hitman game since.

I still like most of the LPs I've done, they each have their own issues but I can't say I have any regrets.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
My secret LP confession is that I only started the Amulets and Armor LP as a way to scam Bacter into playing the game with me, because there was literally no human on the planet who would willingly play that game with me on purpose. I took it for granted that it would crash and burn from some absurd technical problem after four videos tops. I absolutely do not dare go back and actually watch one of those videos today because the only two possibilities of that are me either deleting all the videos in a fit of shame or else leaving them up and hating that I contributed such nonsense to the world.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

My secret LP confession is that I only started the Amulets and Armor LP as a way to scam Bacter into playing the game with me, because there was literally no human on the planet who would willingly play that game with me on purpose. I took it for granted that it would crash and burn from some absurd technical problem after four videos tops. I absolutely do not dare go back and actually watch one of those videos today because the only two possibilities of that are me either deleting all the videos in a fit of shame or else leaving them up and hating that I contributed such nonsense to the world.
Even if you were to delete it, some things are eternal!

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
Trying to do Alpha Gaiden after my first LP attempt crashed and burned was a goddamn mistake. There are so many problems in that thing that I can't stand looking at it, first and foremost being that the commentary was literally just "I blew up these robots, and then blew up these other ones" ad infinitium. It also wasn't until after I finished Scooby Doo Mystery and was part way into Gihren's Greed that I realized I hated doing long LPs. If I ever decide to do another LP, it's going to be of something I can finish in about ten updates.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'm still pretty new at this LP lark, I have a disorder which makes commentary difficult at times with the whole Word Salad that it brings, I can't talk for poo poo basically so it's lucky that so far I'm playing games where not much input is needed.

I don't regret my first LP and I actually enjoyed doing it. I just wish I knew what I know now and had better hardware and software for it, in some ways I kind of want to re-visit 'Papers, Please' but it's done and was far more successful than everything I've done since.

I went onto the Simon The Sorcerer series and the thing I regret the most is that I made it an LP with subtitles. I had hardware issues with the 3rd game and abandoned it. Both these points made me not even bother even asking for it to be entered into the archive. Baldurk hasn't gotten around to adding my Monkey Island series LP, I might send a gentle reminder with the addition of the Simon series soon. Mostly because the two games I LP'd aren't on there.

I don't hate any LP's I've done, I wouldn't be LP'ing a game that I didn't enjoy and want to show it off to other people. I just know that after each recording and with the feedback I get that I can learn from it.

It's some months away but my next project is with a game I hate, that's going to be a new experience for sure.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?
Frolf, Max Payne 3, Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, And flywrench all wound up being horrible experiments that all received some weird amount of love for mostly bad reasons. Except for Flywrench, I legitimately loved flywrench.

I noticed while looking at a couple videos here and there (no i will not reupload any of the old stuff) that I myself kind of found out as I went on how to approach commentary. I also realized that I said a lot of terrible things in the original Ribbit king LP which shaped a lot of opinions people had about me and my work. I've since completely denounced all of that and apologized as many times as i can count. But i think that it's worth saying that I'm sorry for offending anyone in the past. And that if it happens again I'd like to know about it so I can work on it. Other than that, I hate every LP I've ever done. Because nothing stays funny to me after about 10 mins.

K I've said my peace, This is a cool and good idea for a thread. Pins, Negronomicon, Boss wiggler out.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
My Armored Core LP is one I don't hate (at least not yet), and I'm glad I did it as it was during a time I wasn't taking classes or employed and had nothing better to do with my time. But if there is anything I disliked about it, it was the process of putting together updates as I made things harder for myself when there were easier solutions. I originally didn't edit footage by doing things all in one take or use VLC snapshot function, and while the results weren't terrible it was still inefficient as poo poo. Though a bigger issue for me personally was not updating the drat thing for a few months because I actually ended up getting some work and the issue of finding time to fit that into my schedule presented itself. But I finished it, eventually, and it was like having a burden off of my shoulder even if no one else was pushing me to do so.

Feels good looking back on that as the mistakes and issues I ran into were pretty much avoided with my second LP. Though I'm sure in another year or so I'll find something from that to be critical about.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
It's almost been 5 years since I did Myth III, and I'd change almost nothing about that LP. Sure, it was one of my least popular LPs due to niche market, but I'm still really proud of it. My LP is still the only complete source of this game on the internet. Back when I made the thread I suspected that might be the case for a long time so I wanted to be sure I did it right. Occasionally I get nostalgic and watch one of the old videos, or read the thread. I had a real good laugh when I recently read a post Corbeau made (in 2011) saying he has big hopes for Bungie's new mega project, and that hopefully it'll be the modern RTS he's always wanted. Whoops!

I'm pretty sure I'll still be proud of the SpaceChem tournament for a long time too. I can't believe that one was as popular as it was, and it still has legs - people on reddit/steam are asking today if there's going to be a 4th tournament. Or an Infinifactory one. Good times. :unsmith:

On the other hand, I'm very glad there are now new LPs of The Dig and XCOM Apocalypse. I once tried reading a random Apocalypse entry and being very confused as to what the hell was going on in both story and game mechanics and I was the one who made it. I don't get the urge to rewatch any of my old XCOM videos like I do with Myth III. That certainly can't be good. (Actually I do on rare occasions rewatch the cruise ship terror video, or the T'leth challenge video, but just those two.)

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

I heard recently that every author hates everything they write that's older than five years. If that's true, then I'm way ahead of the curve because I hate everything I create as soon as it's finished.

Every time I've tried to keep a journal, I immediately burn it on re-reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
First LP was Torin's Passage. I did it as a sort of proof of concept to show to myself that I could commit to finishing one, and while I did, I didn't have a whole lot of fun doing it. It was a very straight forward LP. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not the sort of LP I want to do. I really enjoy doing LP when there's a little something extra added to it, even if it is just a stupid gimmick. That isn't to say that I hate Torin's Passage--I'm happy with the end result.

As far as LPs that may have shaped me, I hope I never get away from this thug:

As the Shadows Of The Empire thread was a tonne of fun and everyone who posted in it was great. The first few videos and some of the Cheat videos had subpar audio quality, though. Too much background hiss. I'm not super happy about it and have toyed with the idea of doing a "SOTE Director's Cut". Who knows.

I've found it hilarious that Dash Rendar continues to plague me throughout different LPs:

Boss Wiggler posted:

Frolf, Max Payne 3, Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, And flywrench all wound up being horrible experiments that all received some weird amount of love for mostly bad reasons. Except for Flywrench, I legitimately loved flywrench.

flywrench was really funny and clever. Of your other LPs that I've seen, your commentary is usually pretty fun too, which is why I watch them.

• Locked thread