Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Razzled posted:

what about breaking them in by wearing them while riding

Whoah there, slow down, buddy!

I have been, they're loosening up quite a bit after about a week. I'm just wondering if there's a thing I should be doing that I don't know about. Never had classy leather gloves before, but I did have baseball gloves, and I always used mink oil on those to treat them and break them in when they were new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

Ended up going with a firstgear jaunt T2 and HT overpants as my go-to 3-season gear.

I'm surprised by how well the XS-sized jaunt T2 jacket fits my emaciated upper body, and a pair of women's size-8 overpants fit my 28" waist and legs just splendidly. I thought that firstgear's jackets run large, but the XS works well with my 38" chest, spaghetti arms, and hour-glass waist. This combo, with the liners still in, actually keeps me pretty warm down into upper 30s on the highway as well, which is great because I'm a huge bitch when it comes to cold tolerance. For instance, I have no problem riding for hours on the highway in 80s-90s with this gear, and don't get uncomfortable when I come to a 5-minute stop with it all on.

The inner waterproofing layer on both the jacket and pants keep me quite dry in the rain as well, and I hate coldness, so I'm glad I made a good choice.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

I've always used equestrian products (horse stuff, that is) to care for my leather gear. They're cheap and work well. Saddle soap to clean, tack grease to waterproof and maintain suppleness.

The rationale being that horses are big, dirty, sweaty creatures (like many motorcyclists, har har) and tack isn't cheap. Horse enthusiasts have had a few thousand years to find out what works and what doesn't when caring for their gear.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lynza posted:

Whoah there, slow down, buddy!

I have been, they're loosening up quite a bit after about a week. I'm just wondering if there's a thing I should be doing that I don't know about. Never had classy leather gloves before, but I did have baseball gloves, and I always used mink oil on those to treat them and break them in when they were new.

I had the exact question as you, but regarding calf-length boots, and the answers I got were the same as you.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lynza posted:

I have some good leather gloves, and they're still a bit tight (which is how they should be, they're not really broken in yet). What would you guys recommend to use to loosen them up a bit? I was thinking something like mink oil or leather conditioner of some sort, but if anyone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Renapur.

Thank me later.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Maybe I'll just thank you now!

How do you like those apples?

Thanks!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Anyone out there got one of the fancy semirigid bike backpacks? Kriega, Ogio? What do you think of them? I think I need something like that, but I'd like a million little pockets inside for organizing many different things, and I'd like the thing to be rigid enough that the zippers are easy to use with one hand maybe. I got a fancy regular backpack right now and it's annoying how much work it takes to zip the fucker closed.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I have a Thor brand backpack, pretty good. Zippers are easy to use while I'm still wearing it with gloves on.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I've got the Ogio Mach 5 (I think?). I really like it. I never have any drag with it, it fits a surprising amount of stuff. It's got pretty big zipper pull tabs, and it's not too bad with not super-thick gloves.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Renapur.

Thank me later.

One thing I love is how products from other countries are more available internationally.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Have a Kriega backpack and tailbag. Bag is OK. Backpack is a bit overrated. Great functionality but at end of the day it's a technical backpack for over $100.

Ogio has a fixed shape to it. Harder to access internal contents if I remember right.

No perfect solution. Both get the job done.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I <3 my Kriega drybag tailpack set. A US-20 with a US-5 clipped onto the top of it. Been working awesome for the past couple months.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

HotCanadianChick posted:

I <3 my Kriega drybag tailpack set. A US-20 with a US-5 clipped onto the top of it. Been working awesome for the past couple months.

OMG right? Best loving bag.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

ninmeister posted:

Is there any hope for me finding a motorcycle boot in size 18? So far I'm finding this is impossible. What would you guys suggest as an alternative? I'm brand new to riding, and decent boots are the last piece of gear I need. I'm currently using a pair of hiking boots but I'm not too comfortable with them, as they will probably disintegrate in the event of a slide or something.

Hey! Hey you! Daytona offers some of their bots in Euro size 51, which I think might be what you are looking for. Helimot is the US distributor AFAIK. I shied away from some of their cool race boots because I heard that any warranty work could take months due to shipping and customs on top of a somewhat uninterested manufacturer. But I hear they are a good quality boot. Lots of styles, too.
http://www.daytona.de/index.php?page=795
https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=25&cat=2+-+Motorcycle+Boots

Edit: I was a bit to overexcited thinking I had found the answer, but I have found many disagreeing charts as to whether you want 51 or 55! Alas.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 25, 2015

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Commodore_64 posted:

Hey! Hey you! Daytona offers some of their bots in Euro size 51, which I think might be what you are looking for. Helimot is the US distributor AFAIK. I shied away from some of their cool race boots because I heard that any warranty work could take months due to shipping and customs on top of a somewhat uninterested manufacturer. But I hear they are a good quality boot. Lots of styles, too.
http://www.daytona.de/index.php?page=795
https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=25&cat=2+-+Motorcycle+Boots

Edit: I was a bit to overexcited thinking I had found the answer, but I have found many disagreeing charts as to whether you want 51 or 55! Alas.

Yeah finding a conversion chart that actually shows an 18 seems even hard. But thanks anyway, I ended up going with a pair of Reebok work boots that are 6" ankles with a composite toe. Actually really comfortable and pretty sturdy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Anyone out there got one of the fancy semirigid bike backpacks? Kriega, Ogio? What do you think of them? I think I need something like that, but I'd like a million little pockets inside for organizing many different things, and I'd like the thing to be rigid enough that the zippers are easy to use with one hand maybe. I got a fancy regular backpack right now and it's annoying how much work it takes to zip the fucker closed.

I love my Kriega - primarily use an R30 for most stuff, the quadlock system is great, although it really works best if you wear full motorcycle gear and have a larger frame, as the straps work best when they can be tight enough to transfer weight to your chest.

You're only going to get 2 pockets though, so you might have some issues there. It's a drypack so the top folds over, you might prefer the water-resistant R35 (has a zipper rather than a drypack fold over setup) if your torso is long enough. I'd see if you can find a dealer around to play with them though, sounds like you're looking for something specific and I don't think Kriega is going to fit your usecase.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I just ordered a Kriega R35 since I'm commuting to work now and need to be able to carry gym clothes, work papers and extra stuff. The Ogio looked really good and seemed to be really great for organization but the fact that it is semirigid and thus harder to fill to capacity was an issue for me.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Two pockets? Who do they think I am, some Indonesian peasant? I want a civilized backpack.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I got my Teiz Lombard a few days ago and am really liking it. You have to know when it's gonna rain and plan on wearing the liner, but the trade off there is it's been pretty decent in hot weather too, which is hard to say for a lot of one pieces. And even without the liner it's thick Cordura so you can go through a quick shower and not be soaked inside. And it's like $600 cheaper than a Stich even with a custom color scheme.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Two pockets? Who do they think I am, some Indonesian peasant? I want a civilized backpack.

Kriega packs are made for the kind of obsessive organizers who already have a bunch of small pouches and totes to organize everything in, so they don't bother putting any kind of pockets or divisions in any of their bags or packs. It's why I grabbed a 5l bag at the same time I got my 20l bag; if I have something small that I don't want getting lost between the bigger items in the larger pack, I throw it in the small bag with the rest of the small items. Though I may eventually repurpose it for holding a tool roll (with stuff missing from the factory kit, like one of my smaller spare multimeters and some spare wire, a stripper, and some posi-lock splices) and flat kit once I get those put together

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I am rather sick of lugging a backpack around and want a top case for my 919. The idea of picking up a pizza on a bike is super sexy. I have examined Givi cases at a shop before, and they really are too much for what they are. I was expecting something rather sturdy and lined. Not rubbermaid like containers. I don't mind that, but the price is rather stupid. Does anyone do it cheaper?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

astrollinthepork posted:

I am rather sick of lugging a backpack around and want a top case for my 919. The idea of picking up a pizza on a bike is super sexy. I have examined Givi cases at a shop before, and they really are too much for what they are. I was expecting something rather sturdy and lined. Not rubbermaid like containers. I don't mind that, but the price is rather stupid. Does anyone do it cheaper?

The point of the flex in the Givi hard cases is to make them much more crashproof - something harder would be more likely to crack/shatter if you dropped the bike. I've dragged a Givi topbox on the ground doing 12 o'clock wheelies on a loan scooter (why agree to a loan scooter if you're not going to performance-test it?) and it barely even registered it.

I agree they are pretty pricy but they're the de-facto standard for a reason - especially as I don't think, outside of really cheap crap, anyone does it particularly cheaper than them.

(Of course if all you want is to carry pizza, then this will do you...

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I can get several pizzas onto my bike with just an elastic cargo net :shrug:

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
How often are you supposed to mink oil a jacket? Is there a schedule to this poo poo?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

alnilam posted:

I can get several pizzas onto my bike with just an elastic cargo net :shrug:

I fold my pizza in half, shove it in a garbage bag, and then take it home in my jacket. :btroll:

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!
I am a complete newbie to motorcycling - in fact I will only start the course to get my license in two weeks.

After buying a helmet, I need all the other necessities (leather jacket and pants, gloves, and boots). I do not mind buying used gear, and have already contacted some sellers in my area.

Apart from the advice in the OP regarding fitting leathers, is there anything else I should look out for when buying used gear? Marks and scratches from crashes would be obvious and a no-go, right? Minor scratches, however, will likely not be a problem?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Unless they crashed in it in their driveway falling over you probably don't want it.

Used road-worn gear with bug splats and faded leather is fine. Crashed gear, unless you're buying a second hand track suit or something that doesn't have holes in it, is probably a good thing to avoid.

I know that "first motorcycle blah blah yadda yadda want to stay cheap blah blah" is the whole point, but when deciding how much to spend on gear, remember $2000 for a proper full set of protectives is cheaper than a skin graft.

E: and hell thats buying top quality poo poo. You can get a full set of textiles + helmet/gloves/boots for under $1k, maybe less.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 27, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
For perspective, I paid 500 dollars for dainese textile pants and jacket and they have both survived two crashes without major tearing or damage. That's for higher end gear and is pretty reasonable if you ask me.

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!
Thank you both, this is helpful. I am definitely looking only for high-quality gear, only used (but not abused) to lower the cost a bit. I would rather buy a full set of gear ridden for 4000km (~2500 miles) for EUR 300 (~USD 330) than the same gear for EUR 1300 (~USD 1400) new.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

PadreScout posted:

How often are you supposed to mink oil a jacket? Is there a schedule to this poo poo?

Either whenever you feel like it, once a year, twice a year or once every other month. Depends on how crazy you want to be. I think you'd be doing pretty well with twice a year - once when you take it out in the spring and once when you put it away in the winter.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
I have 5 year old A Stars SMX 5 boots and the Velcro is shot so they don't stay closed when I tuck my pants into them. What road boots should I get that come in small foot sizes but big calf sizes? (I've got cycling calves.) I was looking at SMX Plus boots, but I don't race or anything so they might be overkill.

Also, I've had a Shoei RF 1000 for five years and it's finally starting to be a bit jiggly on my head, even with replacement cheekpads. Their helmets fit me great, generally. Anyone have any experience with the fit of the RF 1200 compared to the older models? I know you can't divine my head shape, I'd just like general opinions if anyone has them.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Sidi boots are made for midget feet with abnormally huge calves.

I own a 1100 and I tried on the 1200 at my local shop and it fits the same.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

Sidi boots are made for midget feet with abnormally huge calves.

I own a 1100 and I tried on the 1200 at my local shop and it fits the same.

Perfect - thanks!

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm probably going to order Sena SMH10R bluetooth today (well, this evening). Does anyone have complaints/cautions for that particular model? I don't really care about the smaller battery - the talk time and such seems fine for me.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

SquadronROE posted:

I'm probably going to order Sena SMH10R bluetooth today (well, this evening). Does anyone have complaints/cautions for that particular model? I don't really care about the smaller battery - the talk time and such seems fine for me.

I have one and it's okay, I just use it for music and sometimes navigation. Any advanced features are a bit of a pain to get to since there are just three buttons so some things are "hold for x seconds".

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
That's pretty much all I want it for. It's either between that or this:

http://smile.amazon.com/Sena-SMH5-02-Bluetooth-Full-Face-Motorcycles/dp/B0087NB1IW/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0WZDKE2X8J9BB86BAKKQ

I really don't ride with groups often (but friends I have do use Senas so if I do, it'd have to be compatible). I just want to be able to use GPS and listen to music.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

SquadronROE posted:

That's pretty much all I want it for. It's either between that or this:

http://smile.amazon.com/Sena-SMH5-02-Bluetooth-Full-Face-Motorcycles/dp/B0087NB1IW/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0WZDKE2X8J9BB86BAKKQ

I really don't ride with groups often (but friends I have do use Senas so if I do, it'd have to be compatible). I just want to be able to use GPS and listen to music.

I have the smh5 and its been fine but I think it only connects to one other unit so if you have more than one friend it's probably better to get the 10. Speakers are a little quiet in my helmet on the highway and earplugs but fine at lower speeds.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

I have a 10r. It works well for music and nav, which was exactly what I wanted. Phone loves either in a pocket or on a RAM mount if I want to see/use it.

Like others mentioned I have no idea how to do more advanced things it is supposedly very good at- it needs some button holding for certain time and other stuff that needs manual reading and practice to get good at. Once I was able to get it to change music playlists using voice.

The buttons can be hard to use and differentiate if you are using some thicker winter gloves.

Play with the placement (ideally sitting on your bike) before committing to the super sticky pad- I wish I had mounted button unit a bit more forward on my helmet.

Battery life seems fine for commuting type stuff or longer weekend rides.

Edit- the speakers sound better when I'm wearing earplugs. Makes the bass richer or balances out the treble or something.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

PadreScout posted:

What others said, but also definitely after it gets thoroughly soaked and it may need more than one coat.

After my little garage flood this past winter, my Teiz Alcatraz suit got soaked and I mink oiled it. I have a hunch that Teiz didn't use the best leather for their product because of the little cracks in the leather post soaking. My older Vanson jacket and even my Scorpion jacket got equally soaked, but little to no cracking, though it's possible the Teiz just got more icy water love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

What's opinions on Kevlar jeans? Any recommended brands?