Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

A+++, would roll on day 1
{Same.}

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Perhaps I am alone in this, but I actually woulda really liked that Viangaa joke race.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

A+++, would roll on day 1
Basically the only thing that would get me to fantasia away from potato perfection.

Honestly, all of the concept art there of the Viera and early AuRa is better than what ended up in game. By cranking everything down and playing super safe with the final look of the AuRa you can barely tell they're supposed to be descendants of demons instead of just some kind of not-even-half-dragon person.

Nill fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 27, 2015

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Nill posted:

Basically the only thing that would get me to fantasia away from potato perfection.

Honestly, all of the concept art there of the Viera and early AuRa is better than what ended up in game. By cranking everything down and playing super safe with the final look of the AuRa you can barely tell they're supposed to be descendants of demons instead of just some kind of dragon person.

Blame demographics. Roegadames and Highlander women are grossly underrepresented in the player population. I can understand not wanting to devote all the time and effort to a race nobody's gonna play, and it is the sad reality that lizard-flavored catgirls are gonna see a lot more play than the original concept art.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

isk posted:

Threat isn't a major issue at level 50 post 2.1. Your weapon's ilvl helps a bunch, and you can always throw on STR jewellery for more.

Speaking of accessories, I have a full set of Ironworks accessories from my Dragoon. If my left side as a Warrior is mostly Soldiery gear with a couple of World of Darkness pieces in there, plus an unweathered i110 axe, is it better to save up for Soldiery accessories or use my higher level DPS jewellery? Or is this the sort of thing one can only learn from experience?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Dr Snofeld posted:

Speaking of accessories, I have a full set of Ironworks accessories from my Dragoon. If my left side as a Warrior is mostly Soldiery gear with a couple of World of Darkness pieces in there, plus an unweathered i110 axe, is it better to save up for Soldiery accessories or use my higher level DPS jewellery? Or is this the sort of thing one can only learn from experience?

DPS jewelry.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Dr Snofeld posted:

bonewitch posted:

DPS jewelry.

Agreed. It wouldn't take a ridiculous amount of time to grind out full Soldiery jewellery, but I'd recommend doing that only if you intend to do Savage Coil/Final Coil. Especially since you may need to run ST a bunch for the Oils if you don't have any / roll low for 'em.

The biggest overall improvement you're like to see is with an Ironworks weapon or a Zeta.

*edit - was a ninja correction, sorry.

isk fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 27, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

isk posted:

The biggest overall improvement you're like to see is with an Ironworks weapon or a Zeta.
... Zeniths are i90? :confused:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Zereth posted:

... Zeniths are i90? :confused:

Zetas are i135. But there's no way in hell I'm doing more than one relic weapon.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Basically go strength accessories as a tank for most circumstances except when your health is appreciably more important than your damage/threat. Which is rare, and increasingly rare the better your left-side gear is. There are a small handful of circumstances where I'll throw on vitality accessories (a larger handful if there are untrustworthy pug healers instead of friend/FC/LS healers I know and trust), but for the most part it's all strength.

While you're leveling your tank, this advice for strength accessories holds true as well, just be sure to keep your left-side up to date and HQ. (You're mostly doing this for the physical and magic defense stats, which with leveling gear both improve tremendously from both item level and HQ. The extra smidgen of other stats you get in the process is nice but not really the point.) If you do that, you'll be plenty un-squishy enough. If you don't do that, though, then you'll add enough squishiness from the lower defense, that even swapping to vitality accessories may not make up for it.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Maybe I'm way over-thinking it here, but when levelling my war should I be allocating my bonus points to VIT or STR? Also should I be eating tank food or DPS food?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Maybe I'm way over-thinking it here, but when levelling my war should I be allocating my bonus points to VIT or STR? Also should I be eating tank food or DPS food?

Always Strength. The only "tank food" is Parry food and Parry is garbage, so go with DPS food.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

It's very easy to switch your allocated points back and forth. Initially you'll want to put your points into VIT, but after a while more hp won't really help you, and STR has a higher item value than VIT, so you'll move your points back into STR.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Do we knew know who directs the cutscenes for the Hildibrand quests? Cause whoever it is has some serious comedic timing chops.

Yoshi-P is making his dream muscle gentleman detective anime through this game and it is glorious.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Some questions about the 2.5+ story, namely concerning the end of Keeper of the Lake.

Just what the hell happened? Why did Midgardsormr strip the blessing of Hydaelyn, and why is he hanging out on my shoulder being a mockingbird when I could just stab him with my lance? What "covenant" was he referring to?

It doesn't seem like he gives a poo poo whether Nidhogg succeeds or fails, either. Is that just writing or actual indifference? Why?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Ciaphas posted:

Some questions about the 2.5+ story, namely concerning the end of Keeper of the Lake.

Just what the hell happened? Why did Midgardsormr strip the blessing of Hydaelyn, and why is he hanging out on my shoulder being a mockingbird when I could just stab him with my lance? What "covenant" was he referring to?

It doesn't seem like he gives a poo poo whether Nidhogg succeeds or fails, either. Is that just writing or actual indifference? Why?

Hydaelyn had given you the blessing of light earlier in the story, you use it in the original Ultima fight especially. Hydaelyn is getting weaker though due to unknown reasons, and she asks Midgardsormr to take you under his wing instead. Midgardsormr begrudgingly agrees and strips you of the blessing of light (which is separate from the echo) in order to replace it with a covenant between you and him in its place, but in return he takes a small portion of Hydaelyn's power to remake himself. He's now watching over us and judging to see if we're worthy, of what I don't know. He's still rooting for his sons, but he's staying out of it while he follows us around.

That's what I was able to pick up, it's something we're definitely gonna learn more about in the Ishgard for sure though.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

He has a covenant with Hydelyne. He was all for the Dragon warsong , but as soon as he saw Hydelynes blessing on you, he is basically all 'ugh, FINE' and agrees to protect you in her steed.

He strips you of the blessing of light in order to make himself that body. The original japanese elaborates that with Hydelynes declining power, it would have been a matter of time before it would have been stripped anyway.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 27, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You can respec your bonus point allocations for the trivial cost of 250 grand company seals, so it's easy enough to switch even if you decided while drunk that you wanted to be a piety warrior for more Flash.

And yes, when you eat food, eat DPS food. Although note that food always gives vitality and two secondary stats, with no primary stats. And you get more vitality the harder the food is to craft. (Higher caps on the secondary stats too, but this is less interesting if the stats themselves don't interest you.) It's worth considering higher-tier foods even with less interesting secondary stats, since sacrificing some secondaries for more vitality isn't as big a deal as sacrificing some strength.

And you can often avoid getting completely uninteresting secondary combinations (such as acc/parry) - usually you can get good mileage from at least one if not both of the two secondaries.

As a side note, writing this up has made me notice that Ariyala does not even include the option of skill speed food. Understandably so since it's basically the "get more damage at the cost of burning TP faster" stat (compared to "get more damage without burning TP faster" in the others), but it'd be nice to have it listed there for consideration nonetheless.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh goddammit, i found a fantasia in my retainer's bank i forgot about, now i'll probably end up using it

lala or roegadame are my options if i do use it

lala would work because Lt. Mittens is the perfect lala name, second only to hungry harvey

on the other hand roegadames look great and will look better in the glamour i'm gonna use. choices

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Is there any particular reason why you couldn't be a roegadame named Lt. Mittens? Name incongruity is its own reward.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
Just use the loving thing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Thumbtacks posted:

oh goddammit, i found a fantasia in my retainer's bank i forgot about, now i'll probably end up using it

lala or roegadame are my options if i do use it

lala would work because Lt. Mittens is the perfect lala name, second only to hungry harvey

on the other hand roegadames look great and will look better in the glamour i'm gonna use. choices

Just Roegadame

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

He has a covenant with Hydelyne. He was all for the Dragon warsong , but as soon as he saw Hydelynes blessing on you, he is basically all 'ugh, FINE' and agrees to protect you in her steed.

He strips you of the blessing of light in order to make himself that body. The original japanese elaborates that with Hydelynes declining power, it would have been a matter of time before it would have been stripped anyway.

Okay, so why is Hydaelyn losing power? I haven't heard anything referring to that. Is it blowback from her protecting the Warrior and comrades from Ultima or something?

(ed) Nevermind, other post says the answer is :shrug:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ciaphas posted:

Okay, so why is Hydaelyn losing power? I haven't heard anything referring to that. Is it blowback from her protecting the Warrior and comrades from Ultima or something?

Everything uses Aether. The Agrias crashing into Silvertear hosed up the flow of aether, turning Mor Dhona and Silvertear Falls from a lush and verdant area into bizarro crystal land. The Primals eat up a lot of aether to maintain their bodies, etc. Fighting Ultima also used up a lot of aether because that shield ain't free.

The players have dealt with a lot of these issues as they come up but poo poo's not unfucked yet.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Of course, we don't exactly know what Hydaelyn actually is. But whatever she is, it's got something to do with the nature of Primals. There are Mysteries.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Like it's also been hinted at that the Ascians arent just having all of this aether gathered for nothing, they're using it to help restore Zodiark.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Ciaphas posted:

We made it an Astral Era, so Zodiark is gaining power and Hydaelyn is waning. Balance of light and shadow blah blah blah

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Once again spoiler tagging head canon stuff, never gets old.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr Snofeld posted:

Zetas are i135. But there's no way in hell I'm doing more than one relic weapon.
poo poo, that said Zenith when I hit the button.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Just saw a warrior doing 460 DPS in T10.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speaking of DPS, what's the totally-not-authorized DPS meter du jour nowadays?

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Warning - Cuteness overload

Griz
May 21, 2001

Thumbtacks posted:

no one notices glamour on lalafells, they're all just colored lumps. go roe, get WoD healer/caster hat, be taller than everyone who isn't a male roe with the same hat

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Be a rebel, go giraffe. I'd post pictures but I'm on my phone.

tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax
do ninjas in ffxiv have utsusemi spells

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

tvayisnihyaami posted:

do ninjas in ffxiv have utsusemi spells

Yes! Start getting your scrolls now!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

i for one am excited for the fighting game they demoed live on stage

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Rynn posted:

Warning - Cuteness overload

Do yourself a favor and /bdance with that on your shoulder.

You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

A friendly reminder that everyone will probably enjoy seeing new Au Ra creations for examples of what kind of variation can be generated with the benchmark but benchmark scores about how awesome your True Gaming Rig is are not needed and should probably not junk up the thread.

If you're getting a terrible score and it barely runs that might be a different issue that the thread can help with but will probably border on telling you not to try to run the game on a 5 year old laptop with no video card.

• Locked thread