Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Cake Attack posted:

this game would be way better if it were a girls und panzer game instead

The tanks are definitely the best part of VC so this is probably true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hey, apparently going AWOL, then later dragging an entire 1/7th of the Academy forces on a suicide mission ain't kosher. Of course, this is still technically not the military so no firing squad on Avan today. Not that he needs help getting shot.

...I understand.

*after the court meeting*

I wasn't expecting a fun time, but I didn't know it'd be so bad.
Well, obviously. You still don't realize the gravity of what you did.
Um...
Avon, you are the worst student I can imagine. Do you have no idea why this school, this army has rules? By observing that protocol, we keep casualties to a minimum.
...Yes, sir.
By some undeserved miracle, you brought everyone home alive this time. You nearly killed your class and drove Lanseal's good name into the ground.

Are you going to punch Hubert too, Avan?

I... I know.
Your punishment has yet to be decided, but I suggest you prepare for the worst.

*some time passes*

Use these five days to think about what you've done.

That's it?! Only 5 days of solitude?!

Yes, sir.

*Door slammed as Avan enters the room*

Never thought a cadet'd break the iron rule and get just a week solitary. You owe Professor Brixham and those classmates of yours big time.
What?
Your teacher went around extolling your success in Yuell after the committee. And all of Class G flooded the faculty office to beg for clemency.
Are you serious?
Without them, you'd be halfway home by now, make no mistake. It's another miracle they let the class off with just a stern warning. A lot of people bent the rules for you. Don't make them regret it, eh? I'll be back for you in five days time. *leaves*

Wait, wait, wait...making essentially an entire class go AWOL only gets you an expulsion? That was the worst that could happen???

Brixy... Everybody... I'm sorry... Thank you. Thank you, thank you...

OH GOOD, DON'T FORGOT ABOUT THE LAEVATEIN CUP CAUSE THAT'S STILL A THING

*noise in the background*

Mm? Somebody's at the cell next door. Sounds like the guard, maybe?

*loud banging next door*

D-Dang, he's impatient about something...

*more loud banging*

No, you goof! I'm next door.
Oops! I must've guessed wrong, then. They said you were in the cell with the red lock, so I just picked randomly.

...Why are locks color-coded

Still having trouble with color, then?
And next time, try asking if I'm in there before you bash in the door! Wait, what are you even doing down here?
Heh heh. I know you're in solitary, but I asked the Professor and snuck down.
You snuck down here?
What was I supposed to do? I was worried about you!
I couldn't get permission for a real visit, but he said we could talk a bit.

You could literally wait like a few more hours. This whole thing is...so forced.

Wow. I have to say I'm pretty grateful. It's been crazy boring in here. Thanks, Cosette.
Don't thank me! I'm the one who got you into this mess.
What mess? I'm here because of my own decisions.
Well. even so... Thank you, Avan.

"Thank you for shooting yourself to make a point, even though game-wise it probably made my trauma worse. Also I'm the worst unit now."

We all agree it's weird there without you. It's too quiet. It's sad, and distracting.
Oh, but Zeri says it's a nice break, and that he can finally get work done.
Ugh. Why am I not surprised?
Hee hee! But he's just saying that. You can tell he misses you, too. I know I do. So, talk to me. Tell me something about yourself. What were you like as a little boy?
What was I like? Oof, I don't know. What's to say? I was your normal brat. Now if you want stories, I can tell you about this time when Leon--

Welp, it's been 7 months but it had to happen eventually.

R-Really?
Really, really.
W-Well... All right. Let's see. This one time...

The gimmicks keep on coming. Yuell being a shitshow means there's a lot more tricks to be had. Trenches were already mentioned as immunity against bombardments.

The purple stuff makes us easier to kill, but more importantly, any vehicle without Off Road has way less AP when moving through that. That's why the Light APC is slowly becoming the mainstay over the Utility APC.

Also lightning, which can almost kill any unit. Yuell is a hellhole.

Audrey Retreats From Yuell-Newspaper

The rebel offensive in central Gallia has ceased, and armored corps led by General Audrey Gassenarl have withdrawn from Yuell, preventing their advance towards Randgriz. However, Yuell lies in ruins, and many gave their lives in its defense.

General Baldren Gassenarl's forces occupy Mellvere, but rebel plans to surround Randgriz have been thwarted due to the failed attack on Yuell. The rebels may abandon Mellvere and retreat south to avoid being cut off, so the crisis seems over for now.

The rebel army got Scooy Doo'ed with those dastard kids.

Letter of Thanks from Yuell-Lotte Insider

Class G received a letter of thanks from Oscar Bielert, a student living in Yuell. Oscar fought with the town watch in the battle there, and was saved by Class G students when surrounded by the enemy. Here is what he had to say:

"Yuell is now safe thanks to you all. I hear you joined the fighting without permission, and as a former militia soldier, I'd like to think I understand your situation. I hope you all make it through this safely." We don't regret a thing, Oscar.

Oscar is a former Sniper of Squad 7 and kinda like Cosette; he wanted to be a doctor but then realize "ew, surgery is scary." Yuell kids make sucky doctors.

Valkyrian Legend-Encyclopedia

The Valkyrur are regarded as saviors in Europan folklore, said to have come from the north to rescue mankind from the destruction caused by the Darcsen Calamity. The battle they waged against the Darcsens is known as the War of the Valkvrur.

However, most believe this legend to be merely a myth and think of the Valkyrur as fictional beings. Only the persecution of the Darcsens, believed to have caused harm to the world, has survived through the past 2000 years to this day.

Audrey's Tank. Geirolul-Encyclopedia

The tank used by General Audrey Gassenarl, commander of the rebel armored corps. It features five 150 mm rocket launchers in addition to the 75 mm main gun. The rockets deliver a 6.5 kg payload and make up for lack of accuracy with their area effect.

Some think Audrey chose this as her personal tank due to the sound of its rockets launching and the sight of them descending from the heavens, reminding her of the wrath of god. Length: 6.2 m Width: 3.3 m Weight: 34 t Top Speed: 40 km/h

The City of Yuell

A medium-sized city in central Gallia that grew around Yuell University, which was founded in medieval times by Willem Yuell. It is a center of learning, with many institutions and research facilities. The university is still among the top schools in Gallia.

It was devastated in the war against the Empire, in which many residents lost their lives. After the war, defensive improvements were made and large numbers of military facilities constructed. Students there are also active members of the town watch.

Good news, tier 7 weaponry also gives us access to Audrey's bullshit. Bad news is that it costs 4 CP and only targets 1 unit. So...gently caress that.

Pete Quest 3

I said your turning every moment of the day into a contest is an annoyance.
What's the deal here, why are you fighting? Stop it, you guys!
I've challenged him to a fair fight, and he keeps slithering off! There's no way I'm gonna accept that he's worthy!
What, are you still on about that?
Yes! It may sound dumb to you, but it's important to me, all right?
Zeri, you really can't just accept his challenge? He'd probably get over it a lot faster if you just went along with it.
...I suppose I have no choice then.
But this absolutely must be the end of all this. Those are my terms.
S-Sure! You got it!

*Cosette barges in*

Bad news, guys! We have orders to deploy to the Leanbluff woods!
Perfect!
Waugh?!
That's how we settle it! Whoever performs best on the next mission wins!
All right, you're on.

I'm confident I can win without doing anything to compromise the mission.
Good. That goes double for you, Pete. I...
Pete? Where'd he go?

*deeper in the forest*

I'll sneak right into their base camp and show up that stuck-up Zeri!

:sigh:

Is he crazy? Who runs into the heart of the enemy's formation solo?

Wait, it could be a trap! Surround him, but keep your eyes peeled!

That's a huge rear end hat, by the way.

Ack, they spotted me? Bad news!

*back to Class G*

Aw, what's he thinking? He ran headlong into enemy turf!
They've got him pinned there. This isn't good.
Ugh, he's always gotten stupid the minute he gets hotheaded!

So...always?

Okay, folks, change of plans! First we help Pete, then we get the rebels!

Pretty basic kill-em-all mission. Even though the losing condition is Pete dying, he just has too much HP once you put him near a sandbag.

I'll take this as a victory by forfeit.
H-Hey, there could still be more of 'em around! The race is still on! I'm not giving up, and I won't let you back out! *runs away*
Pete! Hold up!
I'll go. You all stay here. This won't take long.

Goddamn it, Mini-Avan.

*Deeper into the forest*

*Trips on a root*

Waugh! Owwww...
Pete! The trees around here took a lot of fire. It's not safe there!
Rgh... My foot got twisted up in the roots when I tripped.
Look out!

Z-Zeri?! You totally saved me... Why'd you do that?
Certainly not for the fun of it. My body just responded on its own.
That's what he said.
Who, Avan?
Ugh, look at me. I get saved by the guy I'm trying to replace. I guess none of that really matters in the heat of the moment. Whether it's a friend or a stranger, Darcsen or no, you help them.
Pete?
Heh, sorry. Let's head back. I don't want my bro to worry.

This part is kinda freaky because he stops doing the raspy voice and talks "normally." Which is like almost completely different. Like a deeper sounding Avan, or somber Tidus from FFX.

What, with no rebels left you guys resorted to mud wrestling? You're covered in cuts and scrapes. What the heck happened?
Oh, I'm fine. Patch up my bro Zeri here first, would ya?
Your bro Zeri?
It sounds like you two managed to work it out. That's great!
No joke. I don't really follow what's going on, but I'll take it!

I think every classmate quest ends in a variation of "literally no idea what's going on, but it's solved so whatever!"

All right! Here, I'll carry you back to school, bro! Take my shoulder!
Agh! Fine, I give up.

So Pete now has potentially 2 abilities to raise against infantry, not including his class abilities. He could probably one-shot bosses in the right situation. A shame we'll never see that.

Uh...I know that every classmate mission ends with this but...

Wait, now? Why now? That's weird. Usually it's at the start of the month.

Is that a goddamn butler?

...Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Pete Artpages

Tae fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 26, 2015

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

These little anecdotes in the art book are a pretty interesting insight into the design process. Whoever was talking about the whole database culture thing earlier in the thread was right on the money. It seems like a really strange creative process.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tae posted:

...Why are locks color-coded
How else would you know which key card is for which door? Duh. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 26, 2015

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Poil posted:

How else would you know which key card is for which door? Duh. :v:

The prison is actually an old DOOM level.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tae posted:

Is that a goddamn butler?

I reached (at least) this point. I know I did.
Why don't I remember the goddamn butler?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

VCII if you were planning on getting Avan and Cosette together, then you shoulda continued that scene and drove the point home that Avan should stop worshipping his brother.
Your leads currently havr no chemistry with each other.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
You know, much as I poo poo on this game's writing, I actually kind of like that little moment with Cosette and Avan. I mean ignoring everything that goes into what made that scene happen, those two lines where Avan seems uncomfortable and dumbfounded at the idea of someone being interested in him instead of his brother were the most compelling his character has ever been the entire game.

...Then of course the game just stops the scene right there instead of continuing to develop the protagonist, which kind of pisses me off.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I don't think we're even half way through this yet.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Jesus every time you get a classmate quest out of the way they just loving add another one.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So is half the roster Engineers by this point?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
How much damage does Rocket Barrage do? Its about 4 Lancers worth of shots in an area out of Lancer reach. Plus Lancers only get a limited amount of shots so its a trade off.

Also the Darscen Hater debuff applies to him so the Darscen racism is mostly a nobility issue. If Cordelia never revealed herself as a Darscen queen the revolt would never happen.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 27, 2015

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Tae posted:

Wait, now? Why now? That's weird. Usually it's at the start of the month.

There are no more classmates joining each month after Jamil. The rest are unlocked by doing things. I have no idea what you need to do to get Heinz, but he isn't unlocked by just progressing through the year.

The other three hidden characters are Sigrid, who you get by beating Reiner's mission, a character you unlock from finishing 10 classmate missions, and one who joins on a new game plus. They are different from bonus characters, in that they have classmate missions.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 27, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Avan changes into a Sniper because the other Scouts certainly aren't. Stupid material grind grrr.

I have immediate access to a powerful, custom Sniper rifle and all to Avan.

Sigrid Quest 2

This has to stop. I'll go try talking to him again.

*On the roof*

You guys attacked my house! My little sister went blind, you monster! How do I know it wasn't you who did that to her?!
Hmm...
Why is a guy like that at Lanseal?! There has to be some mistake!
...I'm deeply sorry. I say that without any expectation of being forgiven. Still, I... Being here is the only way I know how to begin atoning for what I did.
Atoning?!
I felt this was the best way to stop the rebels and put Gallia at peace. I am sorry...
D-Don't think an apology will make up for what you did! You hear me?! *runs away*

Oh, hi, Avan. I don't mind. Mm? I don't usually see you hauling that much around. Are you studying?
Oh, this? Yeah, I thought I should work on learning some tactical theory. I'm not a big thinker, so I usually wind up going with my gut in combat.
Zeri's been on my case about it, though, so I figure I'll give it a go.

What? No, I guess not.
They send a highly mobile vanguard through the front line to disrupt command. It's the basic principle of the surprise attack. They pop up where you least expect them, strike, then disappear again. Their guerilla tactics are almost impossible for the Army to mobilize against.
I guess so, yeah. They don't have the time to get a whole army in position.
Plus that leads to rumors setting spread that the rebels are stronger. Those then spur people into siding with them, and they enlist.
Wow! I never would have figured that out.

Reiner said you were a smart guy. I can see now that it wasn't just talk!
I'd love to get more of your insights on this stuff. Would you mind?
Avon, it would be my pleasure.

Still on the atonement plan, but at least he's going to give actual useful info on the insides of the Rebel forces. I don't really understand why spies aren't more useful here, but hey whatever.

Coleen Quest 2

Sure, moonglow is... What's moonglow, again?

It's a flower. They say if you give it to a crush, they'll like you back. Pretty romantic, huh? All the girls are talking about it. It's so rare, they say it's half-legend, though.
You girls sure eat stuff like that up, don't you?

I guess I'll just go off and give you ladies a bit of privacy.
No. Please stay. I'd like your advice on this, too. I... I think I might be in love with someone.
Whoooa! Really?!
Yeah, I've never felt like this before.
Whenever I think about him, I go all flush, and my heart starts pounding. I feel this need to talk with him more. To get closer to him...

No. Moving on.

That's totally love!

I need to reiterate that we are not Gallia's OKCupid, here.

Wow, okay... So, what do you think I should do, Cosette?
As it stands, I can't even sleep at night. I have to do something.
Hmm, you'd probably know best about what's right for you. But generally, I'd say the next step would be to tell him how you feel.
Wh-What?! I can't do that! We've barely even spoken to each other!
Hmmm, what do you think?

I think you're better off asking the rebels how to treat a Darcsen well than ask Avan on dating advice.

But basically, what, you want to get this gross feeling off your chest? Well, then I guess I agree that the fastest way is just to tell him.
But I can't. I'd be way too embarrassed, and if he doesn't like me...
Well, it didn't kill all the guys who told you how THEY felt.
Yeah, but they were-- That's different! ...Wait, no, it's not.
Right? If they can do it, so can you, Coleen.
Um...

It may just be an urban legend, but it could give you some confidence. You finally found a guy who you think is special. It's worth the effort, no? And I really do think you should tell him. Don't you?
...I'll think on it. Thanks, you guys.

LET'S MEET THAT BUTLER DUDE!

Quite a lineup. But until I can see their nature for myself...

*Avan walks in*

Hm? Hey, didn't you just get placed in our class?
Ah, Master Hardins. I am Heinz Gilden, engineer.
Is that a yearbook you've got there? Trying to get a feel for campus life?
Heh heh, not quite...

*wipes dust off*

A man can't shine until his boots do, sir. Please do take care.
O-Oh, thanks. So, do you always carry a shoe brush with you?
Yes, it's an old habit from my last position... My, but look at the time. I must see to afternoon tea, Master Hardins. By your leave...*leaves*
So why WAS he reading that yearbook, then?

What the hell is going on, today....

Remainder quests from last month, nothing special to say about them except....

Avan can't one-shot with the best sniper rifle available, making the ENTIRE point of the class useless.

Alexis Quest 3

...What is it, Avon?
I just, um... I wanted to, you know... About the other day?
It was an accident. Don't worry about it.
Just focus on the mission. This area is lined with enemy gun turrets. A moment's distraction could cost your life.
Oh. Right.

I'm no good with delicate stuff like this, but if I don't...
Avan, get down! NOW!

*large explosions nearby*

Waugh?!

*machine gune fire*

Looks like they've spotted us.
drat it, they've got us pinned down here! We're sitting ducks!
We'll be fine. We just need to keep moving.
Are you crazy?! As soon as we step out there, we'll be honeycombed!
Avan. We'll be fine. I'll keep you safe. Use me as your shield as we push forward.
Ready? Here we go!
Alexis, I... Okay! I'm right behind you!

These classmate mission names are getting worse, somehow.

*After all the rebels are slaughtered*

Yeah...
What's wrong, Avon? You don't sound happy.
Alexis. I...
I'm really sorry!
What?
I totally betrayed your trust that time. You trusted me as a friend, but I... As soon as I learned you were a girl, I just kind of freaked out. Even though that doesn't change who you are at all. So I'm sorry.
Avan...

Yeah, but...
There's a reason I'm like this, you know.
Oh yeah?
My father served with the royal guard. It filled him with pride. He dreamed that one day his heir would follow in his footsteps. Unfortunately, my parents struggled to have a child.
When they were finally successful, they had me. A girl.
How did your father react?
One doesn't rise to the royal guard without a surplus of tenacity. Despite the concern of my mother and others, he raised me as a son.

This whole quest is...confusing and turning a bit dark.

Wow, Alexis...
Don't sound so sad. I've never had any qualms with my upbringing. I'm thankful for the unique opportunities it has afforded me. I'm proud of who I am.
It's just unfortunate that people's attitudes change upon finding out.
Oof. Sorry, Alexis.
But that last fight really drove it home for me.

Thank you.
If you're down for it, I'd love to train together again sometime. We've still got a tie to break!
Heh, that we do. I appreciate your unchanging friendship, Avan.

Alexis gets an okay Potential in healing after an attack, even though nothing's come remotely close to killing her.

Alright, I'm finally done with a classmate mission that was just a surplus. Clearly at this pace, I'll get done soo-

...oh.

Alexis Art pages

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Don't, uh, don't men and women serve pretty much equally in Gallia's army? Doesn't that defeat most of the point of Alexis's arc? I mean she's kinda cool compared to the whinging animes, don't get me wrong, but would the army really care if it knew she was a woman?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Don't, uh, don't men and women serve pretty much equally in Gallia's army? Doesn't that defeat most of the point of Alexis's arc? I mean she's kinda cool compared to the whinging animes, don't get me wrong, but would the army really care if it knew she was a woman?

Yes, the army would know that she was a woman - she was raised like a boy, but all that did was cause her to not care about stereotypes. The only reason Avan didn't know she was female was because he never asked, not because she was hiding it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Night10194 posted:

Nope. Your Militia Division's Captain in the first VC was a woman and no-one cared.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The Militia is not the Army, and people conflating them bugs me since the game's plot often relies on the difference, but I don't think the Army cares either.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It clearly doesn't, all our classmates are supposed to be future officers.

Gallia is doomed btw.

Hell even the rebels don't give a poo poo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I just learned that Alexis is voiced by the same person that does English Naruto.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Tae posted:

I just learned that Alexis is voiced by the same person that does English Naruto.

i believe it.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

paragon1 posted:

It clearly doesn't, all our classmates are supposed to be future officers.

Gallia is doomed btw.

Hell even the rebels don't give a poo poo.

The best part is none of them stay in the army afterward. They all become bakers or laundry mavens instead. Gallia is just flushing money down the toilet.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Not in this case. Lanseal is a tough place historically to get into, but currently they will let anyone (Vicky) join because of manpower. That's why they're enticing people will stuff like waived medical school tuition.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Morris Quest 2

Oh yeah, don't forget Avan promised someone else to help with their love problems. Oi.

Yes, sir! Here I go, sir! Grngh... NrrrrRRGH. HrrraaaaAAAAAH!
No dice, huh? I thought for sure THIS'd work... Let's take five, Morris.
I'm sorry, Avon. You've been so nice to put in the time, but I still...
What? Why the apology? You're pushing yourself super hard.
But you've shown me all these exercises, and I can't DO any of them. I guess I just wasn't built to grow muscles.

Boy, that's kind of pathetic when you remember that Anisette tried to pull a tank for her training.

...Actually, I don't want to remember any of that.

I'm still wondering, man. Do you really need muscles to win over this girl?
I think you're a good enough guy already.
It's complicated. She's pretty, and popular. Waaay out of my league. But she's also real nice. An honestly sweet person. We're too mismatched...
Hey, you don't know that! You could be perfect for each other.
I heard someone say SHE said her type was a strong, manly guy. Heh. Can you think of a better way to sum up everything I'm not?

You could be a racoon.

Yeah, but still...
But I couldn't give up, so I thought I'd try this, but... Well...
It's obviously hopeless. There are some things you just have to accept.

The hell??

Gwah?! Cosette? How long have you been listening in?
The whole time, silly. I couldn't help it after hearing Morris's problem. You've tried so hard this for, Morris. You can't give up now! At the very least, you should tell her how you feel!

Oh right, Cosette is ALSO a matchmaker in this quest, too. I think they're just copying and pasting quests at this point.

What?! I-I couldn't! I'd just be an annoyance, and she'll think I'm a creep.
What about if you save her some moonglow when you told her?

...Or maybe it's not a copy and paste. Oh goddamnit, really....

Moonglow?
It's a flower. They say if you give it to someone you like, they'll reciprocate. It may just be an old superstition, but it might give you some confidence.
Anyway, you absolutely can't just give up without trying. Okay?
All right... I'll think about it. Thanks, guys. Really.

I am literally matchmaking two classmates with the exact same 3 quests, aren't I.

Goddamnit, not the weekly Darcsen hunt....

A rare breed of fox has been sighted in the Kloden wildwood.

Oh, okay, for once not a Darcen massacre.

A fox hunt, eh? You always were an apt tracker... Heh.
Something's tickled you?
Oh, just remembering. Father said you couldn't keep the fox you found in the wood as a pet. You threw a whirlwind of a tantrum. Father and I were beside ourselves.
That was a long time ago.
Perhaps, but I see little change in that stubborn fire, Audrey.
...Will you be joining the hunt, or won't you?
I would love to.

Jeez, even the rebel skits are borderline useless.

"Oh hey, Sis. Remember that time you used to have a fox? Har har!"
"Shut up, you douche."

Also why the gently caress are they hunting for sport instead of getting ready for another assault to win the war...?

Marion Quest 3

Whoa, hey, Marion. What's got you all out of breath?
Please, prepare to... Prepare to sortie at once! Intelligence reports that the rebels have employed a new weapon on a farm town.
All right, I got it! I'll be ready in just two shakes of a--

If they're testing some new kind of weapon, it could be rough. You sure?
I shall happily endure any hardship! I've awaited this for so long...
Is there something you wanted me to know about? Something you're hiding?

*Marion steps back*

What?!
I'm not forcing you to tell me or anything. But, you know, if it's something you wanted to get off your chest...
Of course... Thank you. But I'm quite all right.
So long as you're good. All right, I'll let you know as soon as I'm ready.
Excellent. I shall see to my own preparations in the meantime. *bows and leaves*

This is already starting out weird. Also, Avan needs to stop using the "get off chest" metaphor.

I have no idea what weaponry they're talking about.

What's this gun? Rebel-issue, I guess? *picks up rifle* They must've dropped it.
Avan, is...is that what I think it is? *charges at Avan*
Ngah?! Wh-Whoa, Marion! HOLD ON!

Huh, I did not know her hair was that green. Or green at all.

Also, what

They've made...significant changes to the barrel...and to the magazine...This is new... No. This...is revolutionary! I'm trembling!

:stare:

Uh...Marion?
Nh? Who, what?!
You've been hiding this side of you, huh? So you're a huge gun nut!

I collect them as a hobby. And clean them. And touch them all over...

:stare:

Err, it's... not really my thing, but it sounds like you're into it...

YEAH, KINDA

To be perfectly candid, I enrolled at Lanseal for access to its armory.
So when I saw you in the R&D building, you were...
Yes. I'd heard the tech team had just developed a new line of weapons.
I was flustered when you caught me... I owe Ms. Lane an apology.
You could've told me, you know! I was imagining all sorts of crazy things.
My parents have long expressly forbid me from mentioning it to anyone. They say it's unladylike. That it's shameful, and best kept a secret. The few people I have told have certainly seemed shocked.
Heh, I guess Joachim might be a little bit surprised.

Don't worry about it. Honestly, I wouldn't worry at all. Forget about appearances and your family name. You like what you like!
It's part of what makes you you, Marion. Nobody's gonna like you any less for it.
Avon. Perhaps you're right. I should expend my effort reaching out to people, not hiding from them.
Yeah! Now, let's head back home to the academy.
Right behind you, Avan! And thank you, truly.

A simple but powerful Potential that increase damage against infantry and armored targets.

Unfortunately, she was my last Shocktrooper so Avan probably has to switch over to even up the roster. At least another classmate mission is done.

gently caress

Marion Art pages

quote:

I don't know if "two-faced" is exactly the right term for a character like Marion. She came about because we were tossing around the phrase "gap moe", and we wanted to involve the notion of someone who “secretly loves something or other". So we started off our brainstorming session by figuring out what could be loved that would be specific to a military academy, and that naturally led to weapons. Then, we set about designing a character that would satisfy the "gap moe" criteria in the biggest way, which would mean coming up with a character that would be the most unlikely to have any interest in things like weapons. The result was Marion, the perfectly sophisticated rich girl. I didn't specifically ask for her to have a generous bosom, but apparently it just kind of grew into place while I wasn't looking. (laughs) (Sega - Ozawa)

And the streak is broken :sigh:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

marion's cool

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I want nothing to do with anything that leads to the phrase 'gap moe'.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Marion is pretty much Snake and it owns.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

marion's cool

obviously transfer student on loan from Anime United States; loses a finger to an overdone handloaded round as a negative Personal Potential

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It seems like every new character is a class you don't want.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Lotish posted:

It seems like every new character is a class you don't want.

Inghild can be made into a fencer. That is totally a class that you want.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I admit I'm actually morbidly curious about what the gently caress is up with the butler.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

Inghild can be made into a fencer. That is totally a class that you want.

Why is it that in a game about gunplay and tanks, a class that uses swords and shields is the best class?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Because women with lances are nukes. Someone with a sword is a bombing campaign.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fencers are honestly not that great, as least in the times since Alex and Avan had been Fencers. Sure they can one-shot guys in the grass and good for taking over camps with guys in them, but their incredibly low AP makes them niche and enemies regularly dodge the sword swings.

Tech Vets have been better for the most part, because of their higher AP and ability to be stupidly impossible to kill with self-healing. It's just that getting a specific guy to promote is loving horrible to do because it requires playing a specific map over and over until you get Certificates.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Why is it that in a game about gunplay and tanks, a class that uses swords and shields is the best class?

Mehuyael posted:

Because women with lances are nukes. Someone with a sword is a bombing campaign.
That and also game went full anime. :v:

gyrobot posted:

Also the Darscen Hater debuff applies to him so the Darscen racism is mostly a nobility issue. If Cordelia never revealed herself as a Darscen queen the revolt would never happen.
Another thing that might have helped preventing the revolt, or at least reduce the number of people joining because they hate Darcsen could've been revealing a bit more of what had transpired in VC1.
Too bad the leading archeology expert who found and documented the ugly truth about the Valkyrur decided to throw himself off a cliffland dreadnaught along with the already defeated bad guy.
If Faldio hadn't been a complete dumbass things might have been a bit better, is what I'm saying. :keke:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Night10194 posted:

I admit I'm actually morbidly curious about what the gently caress is up with the butler.

Looking for a new boss, going by what he was saying before Avan first started talking to him.

radintorov posted:

Another thing that might have helped preventing the revolt, or at least reduce the number of people joining because they hate Darcsen could've been revealing a bit more of what had transpired in VC1.
Too bad the leading archeology expert who found and documented the ugly truth about the Valkyrur decided to throw himself off a cliffland dreadnaught along with the already defeated bad guy.
If Faldio hadn't been a complete dumbass things might have been a bit better, is what I'm saying. :keke:

Nah, facts just make bigots angry.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Well, he got in a car accident, and he didn't have any insurance, so...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't suppose the butler is going to bust out some monomolecular wires in combat? :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Poil posted:

I don't suppose the butler is going to bust out some monomolecular wires in combat? :v:

Or take superpills and beat the everloving poo poo out of a Valkyrian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

radintorov posted:

One thing I find funny is that it's the new information that the darcsen were slandered centuries ago that means treating them like poo poo is not ok. No one in the games ever says that maybe it isn't cool to treat people badly because of something their ancestors did, regardless of whether they actually did it or not.

• Locked thread