Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Ok, maybe I'll go take a look at this '99 kdx200
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/4919605972.html

He specifically says he replaced all the rear bearings, and he cared enough to update the forks and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

That thing looks ready to ride!

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Okay so I'm not entirely sure my question can be answered here. I just bought a 2008 KTM 200 XC-W a couple of weeks ago. The manual that came with it said I should mix my gas to oil at a 60:1 ratio. I've yet to put any new gas in the bike as I've been running what was in it. I noticed that my bike has a boysen rad valve on it today. I'm assuming when the valve was added the bike was rejetted. Is it safe to see how a 60:1 mix will run in the bike? Should I run a heavier mix and rejet the bike myself? I don't have very much experience with dirtbike carbs, I've had fuel injected street bikes for the last decade.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

60:1 is fine assuming you're using 'real' two stroke oil for the application (e.g., BelRay H1R, Amsoil)

I rejet my two stroke 3-4x a year based on the weather - might as well get used to doing it.

EDIT: I had an 09 - awesome bike:

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 17, 2015

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

VTNewb posted:

60:1 is fine assuming you're using 'real' two stroke oil for the application (e.g., BelRay H1R, Amsoil)

I rejet my two stroke 3-4x a year based on the weather - might as well get used to doing it.

EDIT: I had an 09 - awesome bike:

I have the klotz red castor bean oil, its going to blow my finely tuned Austrian instrument up, isn't it? :gonk:

That bike is pretty rad.

Mikemo Tyson fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 17, 2015

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Too an extra week but I finally have the last bits to be ready for moto season:

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
ktm/jetting chat

I picked up a 08 300xcw a while back. I love the bike, but I feel like i have to mess with the jetting a lot with weather and altitude changes and can never seem to get it quite right. Anybody have an secrets?

People look at you funny when you roll though the neighborhood.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
I know the KTM manual says 60:1, but that seems too light for me, I usually always run 40:1 in my 300 XC.

As for jetting, do you have the manual? I would reset everything to stock settings and then try and start adjusting. Used bikes probably had who knows how many people messing around in there.

This was the first enduro for the year, 33 degrees and freezing rain, had to knock the ice off the bike before the start.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Hayyyy, new bike time. 2012 KTM250XC-F

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Crossposting from the Let's see your motorcycle thread, I picked up this 2000 DRZ400s on Saturday:

9,700 miles. I decided to stick with the dualsport since I'm limited to one bike for now, and apartment living makes trailering a bike a real pain. It was probably $500 less than average for any DRZ around here anyway, especially being so clean.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

VTNewb posted:

f learning, 125's are super hard to ride

Where you riding the thing? Moto X or trails or woods or doonz?

Combination of trails and Moto X. I've ridden my DRZ on really gnarly singletrack in South Dakota but my trail riding experience is pretty minimal and involves falling a lot. I'm gonna end up messing with the gearing on the YZ125 a bit but the local OHV park has a pretty alright MX track and a big woods loop. I've never ridden on an actual track before so I'm really looking forward to it/terrified of it. Probably worth mentioning that I will most likely never race anyone except my friends.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 20, 2015

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Silver posted:

Hayyyy, new bike time. 2012 KTM250XC-F

This needs a purple or yellow seat.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

I know the KTM manual says 60:1, but that seems too light for me, I usually always run 40:1 in my 300 XC.

As for jetting, do you have the manual? I would reset everything to stock settings and then try and start adjusting. Used bikes probably had who knows how many people messing around in there.

I did that, but i am chasing the pilot jet dragon.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I've been thinking about getting a big dual sport/light adv bike. One of the trails I'd really like to ride on that is on private land looks like this http://www.allezy.net/users/deyv/2006-07-04_Ellicottville/IMG_0163.JPG

This isn't the trail, but it looks just like it. I know I wouldn't be able to do it well first trip out, but I'm willing to do easier trails to learn on.

Is this something that would be absurdly hard on a f650 Dakar for example, or would I need to get an actual dedicated dirt bike for this?

E: I've been riding Street for 7 or 8 years, but have only done trails on a pedal bike.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'd take my fatty rear end KLR on poo poo like that no problem. but you'd probably want something lighter than a F650 dakar as your first dual sport bike..

Xr400s..... Drz400s.. Dr650s..

E: the bigger the bike, the more of a pain in the rear end it is on anything smaller than a fire road. I speak from experience, but I'm happy wheeling the fatty.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 26, 2015

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

I'd take my fatty rear end KLR on poo poo like that no problem. but you'd probably want something lighter than a F650 dakar as your first dual sport bike..

Xr400s..... Drz400s.. Dr650s..

I was thinking of the most extreme example. Figured anything lighter would be far more capable.

I'm being very cliché and trying to balance street vs dirt. I want to say 75% dirt, but if I'm being honest it will probably be 25% dirt. That trail is about 3 hours of highway away, but I'd be able to stay overnight at a cabin up there.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
So I went with 44:1 for my 200xc based on a call to the dealer saying use between 50:1 and 40:1. Bike ran great until it started peeing out of the carb overflow. It certainly left it's mark all over. Guess I get to get intimate with my carb after all.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
XR650 is a viable option too. those mentioned are about 60 dirt, 40 road.

My brick is 50/50. Its alright on road, and alright off. Its hairy in off camber single track, but I take it everywhere my buddies go, and more places I really shouldn't be going.

These days I'm seeing 15 dirt /85 road. I still run knobbies in the city every day.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Had the first ride of the year a Thomaston Dam in CT. Long drive, but worth it! Did about 6 laps of the 11 mile expert loop.

It was also the first ride with the new suspension. I had it dramatically stiffened. It's pretty magical now - rock gardens and whoops are so much easier to deal with, and the bike stays very planted and straight on the big hits.

New problem though, when I'm really railing around corners I now get into a serious front and rear wheel drift. The front is pushing out essentially, but more controlled. This caused me to 'oversteer' for lack of a better word. I changed my behavior and began rear breaking into the fast corners and that solved the problem, but I need to do something about it, though I'm a bit stumped.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

Had the first ride of the year a Thomaston Dam in CT. Long drive, but worth it! Did about 6 laps of the 11 mile expert loop.

It was also the first ride with the new suspension. I had it dramatically stiffened. It's pretty magical now - rock gardens and whoops are so much easier to deal with, and the bike stays very planted and straight on the big hits.

New problem though, when I'm really railing around corners I now get into a serious front and rear wheel drift. The front is pushing out essentially, but more controlled. This caused me to 'oversteer' for lack of a better word. I changed my behavior and began rear breaking into the fast corners and that solved the problem, but I need to do something about it, though I'm a bit stumped.

Thomaston is an awesome ride and I'm definitely missing it since I moved. What's considered the "expert loop"? I always just picked random trails until I got tired and/or stuck in a mud puddle.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Deeters posted:

Thomaston is an awesome ride and I'm definitely missing it since I moved. What's considered the "expert loop"? I always just picked random trails until I got tired and/or stuck in a mud puddle.

I dunno really, they gave us a piece of paper with 3 loops, the expert loop was arrowed by black arrows. It went the farthest back down the central road though, under the highway, etc. The 'intermediate' loop was essentially the hare scramble track.

The only real part about it that I'd label expert was a 'waterfall' feature that was a hill with large rocks and lots of running water. That whole last section on the high side was 'NETRA enduro' rocky. The low side returning by the river was pristine if whooped out flowy trail. Awesome place!

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Bloody Queef posted:

I've been thinking about getting a big dual sport/light adv bike. One of the trails I'd really like to ride on that is on private land looks like this http://www.allezy.net/users/deyv/2006-07-04_Ellicottville/IMG_0163.JPG

This isn't the trail, but it looks just like it. I know I wouldn't be able to do it well first trip out, but I'm willing to do easier trails to learn on.

Is this something that would be absurdly hard on a f650 Dakar for example, or would I need to get an actual dedicated dirt bike for this?

E: I've been riding Street for 7 or 8 years, but have only done trails on a pedal bike.

I just picked up a DRZ400S for pretty much the same stuff, and I'm super happy with it. I wouldn't want to do long trips on the interstate on it but it's a blast for anything under 60.

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 27, 2015

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Anna and myself from the Dam Fun Ride.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Alright guys - predict for me what I'll find when I open this bike up.

I adjusted the valves over the winter, and rode it for about 5 hours at the Dam Fun Ride (offroad stuff). Took it to motocross today and the bike would randomly cut out at high speed. When I pulled over and restarted it ran fine. After happening twice, I pulled over and found the engine seized. Seconds later it unseized and started (I brought it to the truck at that point).

Oil is filled to the correct level in the sight glass and coolant is right where it should be.

What the heck? How could I have borked my valve adjustment to cause this, and not have it show at the Dam Fun ride?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
My bet is something got clogged from your last ride. But I'm a noob.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Wow, thats a head scratcher. Any abnormal noise?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I'll document the tear down so we can all see what stupid poo poo i've done

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

You probably froze the cams in their bearing journals. Did you make sure to use the correct torque for the cam bridge?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I torqued everything correctly.

The actual issue was the valve cover vent. As weird as this sounds, the vent slides inside of the intake cam shaft. For some reason, it melted, plastic bit everywhere, no real damage. It's the black thing shown here:

Not sure what happened, but I'll buy another and try again.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I have seen that before on KTM breathers. And timing chain guides. Do you have any better pictures of the lobe of your cam? It looks like it got a little hot and smeared a bit, or it might just be the lighting.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

be sure the melted plastic is the cause and not a symptom. I would torque the cam bridge without the chain and make sure the cams spin freely.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

For sure. Its an assembly step so if I can find the vent locally well see today.

EDIT: 2 dollar part but no one has them. Will go check for warping due to heat anyway (good idea Kony)

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 2, 2015

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You should probably take the head off. A bike seizing is going to be loving poo poo up.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

wheeled the heavy at Mendocino today.

Every trip out, Fucker spouse sets something on his bike on fire.

Tool wrap, two tubes, compressor, and some misc stuff gone/burned.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Sunday ride day with a bunch of street bike bros all getting dirt bikes n stuff now. First time out on the new 250 for me. Going from 2 smoke and rekluse to 4 stroke and no rekluse was different, but definitely fun. Good times! Oh and little bro who wrapped himself and his bike in the thorn bush was ok. Also guessing I'm officially Wan's bike starter upper dude. Had more footage but go pro battery went flat. Should have changed it before second go out on trails.

https://youtu.be/fbSmArWbWIM

Silver fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 5, 2015

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

God drat Silver the places you ride always look awesome.

Couple of shots from Wednesday night moto of me and Anna respectively. She let me borrow her bike while I wait for parts.

Also all y'all should read Traction. http://www.tractionerag.ca/april2015/index.html?utm_source=Traction+eRag+May+2015&utm_campaign=May+2015+Traction+Release&utm_medium=

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 7, 2015

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Breaking front brake levers halfway down a mountain sucks. panic grabbing thin air the rest of the way down was fun.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Good excuse to pick up some ASV's! Did a rock or branch manage to sneak behind the guard?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Breaking front brake levers halfway down a mountain sucks. panic grabbing thin air the rest of the way down was fun.

Bike is cursed. How the poo poo does it break 2 brake levers in like a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

The service manual has it listed as a consumable