Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
I wonder if Bethesda will actually charge for the next game's CK, and ask for licensing fees if you plan on distributing the mods in some way that doesn't involve them making money off of it in the workshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lol

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Day one pay-to-play mods for Fallout 4.

Start panicking...

... now.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Fallout 4 will be nothing but an engine and Bethesda will just expect the community to make the game for them

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

flyboi posted:

Fallout 4 will be nothing but an engine and Bethesda will just expect the community to make the game for them

im glad of it

it will be better than bethesda could ever make tbh

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GunnerJ posted:

I am pretty on board with the idea that Bethesda got their cut when people bought their game for which modding is a selling point.
Perhaps I should have said "the legal reality". As I've pointed out in other threads, flightsim mods have been sold for ages with zero cut to the game publisher.

As a moral or ethical issue, I can see it both ways. Plenty of mods feel almost like fanfic for a game, which would make the owner deserve a cut. Others feel like original creations that just happen to be in this game. It kinda depends on the mod. If they'd announced this and bethesda was taking a much small portion I'd be way more on board with the whole idea, even though I think there'd still be downsides even so.

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

Chart's been updated by the guy it seems someone made 1k

http://bit.ly/1JFrhwE

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
If this were any other game it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but Skyrim is complete dog poo poo without mods. Who the gently caress is going to buy their games going forward knowing they'll be the same broken mess as always, but now you have to pay $4.99 to unfuck the inventory system, $2.99 to unfuck magic system, $9.99 to unfuck the crafting system, and $39.99 get rid of quest chain ending bugs?

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Teehee, I'm sure no one will notice

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EgoEgress posted:

Teehee, I'm sure no one will notice

yea gently caress them for listening to the community outrage, I bet this is a :tinfoil: conspiracy

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Octal posted:

Wait.... people paid 3$ for a graphic overall? That's probably one of he most available type of mod alongside homes and nude followers.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So, does anyone have a highlight reel of that AMA Gabe did over at Reddit? I skimmed it a bit yesterday to see how he would placate the mobs, but it was obvious he was just digging himself deeper into this PR hole. A few of his comments were like throwing gas on a fire, which was hilarious to watch.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Eonwe posted:

yea gently caress them for listening to the community outrage, I bet this is a :tinfoil: conspiracy

If they were "listening to the community outrage", they'd have done a lot more than a weak backpedal on the precise wording of the announcement. There's no conspiracy involved in lovely damage control in the announcement by Valve on Valve's platform.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Octal posted:

Not surprised it was purity, that was the only one I was even slightly interested in that wasn't a revamped old mod.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Not surprised it was purity, that was the only one I was even slightly interested in that wasn't a revamped old mod.

But weirdly it's also one of the most available mod types.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Klyith posted:

Perhaps I should have said "the legal reality". As I've pointed out in other threads, flightsim mods have been sold for ages with zero cut to the game publisher.

As a moral or ethical issue, I can see it both ways. Plenty of mods feel almost like fanfic for a game, which would make the owner deserve a cut. Others feel like original creations that just happen to be in this game. It kinda depends on the mod. If they'd announced this and bethesda was taking a much small portion I'd be way more on board with the whole idea, even though I think there'd still be downsides even so.

So not trying to flame the outrage but what and how can be done to make Skyrim "good"?

I played and "beat" the game back when it was still new however I've never once looked at mods at all because I was bored of the game by the time I was done. Every time I've bothered to look into modding Skyrim/Fallout 3/whatever the guide is 8 pages long with like 900 gb of poo poo you have to download and in the end takes a whole night to even get the thing to launch. I'd be curious to install a set of mods and give it another whirl but every guide is so confusing to even remotely give a poo poo.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

EgoEgress posted:

If they were "listening to the community outrage", they'd have done a lot more than a weak backpedal on the precise wording of the announcement. There's no conspiracy involved in lovely damage control in the announcement by Valve on Valve's platform.

So what you're saying is... Valve is bad at customer service? :captainpop:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

flyboi posted:

So not trying to flame the outrage but what and how can be done to make Skyrim "good"?

I played and "beat" the game back when it was still new however I've never once looked at mods at all because I was bored of the game by the time I was done. Every time I've bothered to look into modding Skyrim/Fallout 3/whatever the guide is 8 pages long with like 900 gb of poo poo you have to download and in the end takes a whole night to even get the thing to launch. I'd be curious to install a set of mods and give it another whirl but every guide is so confusing to even remotely give a poo poo.

Download tendo's skyrim redone, a house you like the look of, and play.

Works for me.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Download tendo's skyrim redone, a house you like the look of, and play.

Works for me.

That's a weird way to spell "download SPERG."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

That's a weird way to spell "download SPERG."

Sperg is the perk overhaul only isn't it?

I think I tried it and it was good, but I liked how tendo's has better integration with other mechanics, like the follower production stuff in alteration and conjuration, and the better crafting stuff with being able to make different ammo and stuff, and all the different weapon types (it introduces about twenty) having unique effects if you level their branch up.

It's essentially sperg but with the changes running deeper, and more lethal combat which is fun. Also bullettime redguards.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I liked SPERG but Perkus Maximus is slightly better in some regards - if you're a mage focussed character. Or so I feel.

VVV The patcher does take for bloody ever with 150+ mods but I think it's worth the wait (alongside cleaning bad edits) to not find compatibility problems that mess up the game 12+ hours in a playthrough.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 27, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

gently caress SkyRe and PerMa, gently caress making patches that takes forever to even get past 15%

Best way to start modding Skyrim? Download the poo poo in the second post of the OP, and then proceed to add mods in batches of 3-5 at a time.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

To be fair if you really don't want to download a bunch of separate mods and do the song and dance of futzing around with your load order for days then the big intrusive overhauls like SkyRe and PerMa are a viable option.

The problem is once you start thinking you wish this or that aspect of the mod was different, or want to run a bunch of other mods alongside, then you start running into issues and before you know it you're in the patcher/compatibility nightmare :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah SkyRe doesn't work with anything else, but the poster was asking for a simple option, SkyRe is pretty all in one and it balances quite well with itself. Personally it and some graphic mods are all I use anyway because I can't be arsed fiddling with lots of mods.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yeah SkyRe doesn't work with anything else, but the poster was asking for a simple option, SkyRe is pretty all in one and it balances quite well with itself. Personally it and some graphic mods are all I use anyway because I can't be arsed fiddling with lots of mods.
yeah if i was going to use just one mod, it'd be skyre

but i am using like 50 so sperg and all the other cool poo poo

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

CJ posted:

Wasn't there some court case in the 90s over people selling Doom mods? And it ended with the court saying you aren't allowed to do that?

Replying from a few pages back and I don't see a court case from it but was that D!ZONE?

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Octal posted:

That garbage shadow scale "set" that you have to console in almost has too :negative:

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 27, 2015

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Any good mods out there specifically for a pacifist run? I want to see how far I can get without murdering the poo poo out of everything. I have some ideas for skills and magic involving SPERG and Apocalypse along with methods available in vanilla Skyrim, but something to KO or force surrender would be useful.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Have any major bigname mods talked about going down the path of paid yet? Or has it mainly still just been the initial mod group/a few joke mods? Curious to see if anything besides Hot and Cold is already confirmed to be switching to paid.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Rookersh posted:

Have any major bigname mods talked about going down the path of paid yet? Or has it mainly still just been the initial mod group/a few joke mods? Curious to see if anything besides Hot and Cold is already confirmed to be switching to paid.

Skyui

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

TheBlackRoija posted:

That garbage shadow scale "set" that you have to console in almost has too :negative:

according to the chat for that set http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/comments/430159429 the devs are fixing that

quote:

Hey all,

Sebastian has been trying to update the armour today but unfortunately it keeps trying to create an entirely new workshop page instead.

To answer questions about the update:

1. They are all in separate pieces
2. They are found in the world space now
3. Weighting issues have been fixed so there is no longer strange distortion
4. Gender support will be the next hot fix :)

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Rookersh posted:

I saw grow your own Telvanni Towers is going paid. There's some other things too that are serious if you browse. :/

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I think I am only going to pirate the parody mods.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Moryrie posted:

I saw grow your own Telvanni Towers is going paid. There's some other things too that are serious if you browse. :/

Biggest one is SkyUI. Other than that, most big-name mod makers are against this poo poo.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
Ran into annoying problem today. Got to Riften for the first time last night, dicked around for a bit then saved the the game, no problems. When I loaded my save this morning I got a CTD. I loaded my auto save and same thing, I get the loading screen then a CTD, loaded the next one back inside Elgims Elixirs and that worked fine but of course when I went outside CTD again. Teleported myself outside Riften and tried entering from the main gate with the same results. I'm running a bunch of mods, but none that have given me any trouble so far or make any changes to Riften that I'm aware of.

Anyone had a similar issue? I know Riften is notorious for being buggy.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

ON that page, I can view the "Comments" tab but not the "Discussions" tab. Is that normal, like, have they closed that area off or something?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

boneration posted:

ON that page, I can view the "Comments" tab but not the "Discussions" tab. Is that normal, like, have they closed that area off or something?

Yep, they've closed the discussion pages.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

boneration posted:

it weirded me out too since I could read the topics via tool tips and it was people asking developers why are you asking for money you are ruining things

Mazzletoff
Dec 17, 2012

wake me up
before you jojo
Anyone recommending people look in the OP should be drawn, quartered, and shot - it's not really up to date, nor is it organized in such a way to make it easy to use, and a lot of those mods can't be easily used in conjunction - some require serious troubleshooting and patching.

Also it recommends Live another Life over Random Alternate Start, and LAL is crazy bloat in comparison to RAS. And loving Falskaar, which has a map so bland I mistook it for a flat plain. Aaaaaaand, it doesn't mention Enhanced Lighting and FX, despite it being the best mod for looking pretty with no performance hit. The OP is like two years out of date.

Say what you want about 4chan, but the TESGeneral guide is pretty much the best introduction to Skyrim modding. All the mods work in unison, meaning you can totally install like 150 at once and have practically 0 problems. It's also very pretty.

Link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Live Another Life also doesn't randomly start you somewhere, which some people might find appealing.

(There's another one that gives nonrandom options, Skyrim Unbound.)

• Locked thread