Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There is actually one thing I wasn't really a fan of with this episode; You get a look at the Elder Vampire lady's wings in the manga rather than just Leo commenting on seeing them as the train goes by, and they look mostly like a mist of red sparkling lights surrounding her. And when Leo gazes down into the Beyond later it's just all twinkling red mist down below. I just thought that was a lot more subtle and a more ominous than red bat wings popping up.
Yeah, I would've preferred that too. "When you're ready, open your eyes," and he just sees a sea of crimson.

Something else I didn't care for, Tonio's defeat was so quick in the anime if I hadn't already read the manga I'd have wondered for a moment where he'd gone. He gets iced pretty quick in the manga too (which I actually liked), but it was a little too blink and you miss it in this episode.

Was also holding out for a post-credits scene of him trying to regenerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, I would've preferred that too. "When you're ready, open your eyes," and he just sees a sea of crimson.

Something else I didn't care for, Tonio's defeat was so quick in the anime if I hadn't already read the manga I'd have wondered for a moment where he'd gone. He gets iced pretty quick in the manga too (which I actually liked), but it was a little too blink and you miss it in this episode.

I didn't mind that because we're only in for a 12-episode run, and he hasn't popped up again in the manga so it'd just be a needless dangling plot thread. He was pretty much a non-entity for the entire episode though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This series sounds like it would benefit from being 2+ cours rather than 1

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I didn't mind that because we're only in for a 12-episode run, and he hasn't popped up again in the manga so it'd just be a needless dangling plot thread. He was pretty much a non-entity for the entire episode though.
Entirely true, but it made me laugh when I saw it in the manga so I'd be lying if I didn't say I was sad to see it missing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xelkelvos posted:

Yup, pretty much. Still drat good for what we're getting though.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Full disclosure I haven't read the manga, but the pacing and rapid cuts are something I really appreciate. BBB has this like kinetic energy and life that a lot of shows lack.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Million Ghosts posted:

Full disclosure I haven't read the manga, but the pacing and rapid cuts are something I really appreciate. BBB has this like kinetic energy and life that a lot of shows lack.

I concur.

That said, I'll probably read the manga for the steadier pacing once the anime's done.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The anime's sharp and snappy sensibilities are definitely a credit to the experience. The director in general's done a great job distilling things.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Another solid episode, and man this soundtrack has so much energy. Its just so strange and fun.

Oh and thanks to whoever reminded me of Kyousougiga - I watched it this weekend. What a fantastic series. Visually stunning, and genuinely touching too.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Who's Tonio? The pink haired vampire?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

Who's Tonio? The pink haired vampire?

The guy who was with her. The one Klaus crushed into a thin red paste.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, the worst thing about BBB is that it's only 12 episodes, instead of 26. Hopefully the DVD/Bluray sales are good enough to warrant the producers plopping down the cash for a second season eventually.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Great Rumbler posted:

Yeah, the worst thing about BBB is that it's only 12 episodes, instead of 26. Hopefully the DVD/Bluray sales are good enough to warrant the producers plopping down the cash for a second season eventually.

It's be easy enough since the comic is structured as it is and they'd just have to come up with a new framing device for a second series. Everybody on staff is being transferred to do a new show so it might take a while though, and also I won't really be interested if matsumoto isn't directing again.

The thing I love about the show the most is stuff like the constant smash cuts in the party scene to show the passage of time, it's not afraid to do cool cinematic stuff when a lot of other anime are way more traditional.

The weakest part is still probably the sound design, not the music, but the actual mixing especially in action scenes is really lacking and doesn't have much impact.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The guy who was with her. The one Klaus crushed into a thin red paste.

Wait, that happened? I thought he just got the hell out of dodge at light speed.

e: Holy poo poo, he did. It happened in literally 1 second.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Wait, that happened? I thought he just got the hell out of dodge at light speed.

e: Holy poo poo, he did. It happened in literally 1 second.

he got goombad

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think because of the pacing and how things are getting compressed this is a show that benefits a lot from reading the manga first instead of going back to it. I'd rather be familiar with the stuff that got glossed over or cut out beforehand and that's worth sacrificing the suspense of not knowing what happens next. The anime-only stuff provides some novelty on that front anyway.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

It's be easy enough since the comic is structured as it is and they'd just have to come up with a new framing device for a second series. Everybody on staff is being transferred to do a new show so it might take a while though, and also I won't really be interested if matsumoto isn't directing again.

The thing I love about the show the most is stuff like the constant smash cuts in the party scene to show the passage of time, it's not afraid to do cool cinematic stuff when a lot of other anime are way more traditional.

The weakest part is still probably the sound design, not the music, but the actual mixing especially in action scenes is really lacking and doesn't have much impact.

The sound mixing has been getting gradually better. What's a shame is that the actual effects and such they use are really good!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Something about how the scenes and passage of time is handled strikes me as something distinctly Western. Like I'm watching a Woody Allen film.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Is that Rie Kugiyama playing both the Ghost Girlfriend and the evil Vampire Onii-chan?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Is that Rie Kugiyama playing both the Ghost Girlfriend and the evil Vampire Onii-chan?

Maybe we are all actually Rie Kugimiya simply playing us.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

chumbler posted:

Maybe we are all actually Rie Kugimiya simply playing us.

that explains all my tsundere tendencies

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

As someone who lives in the News York City metro area and worked in midtown Manhattan for a few years, I'm loving the decent to good attention to detail in the setting and backgrounds. Particularly the cars since they look like actual cars you'd find in the city instead of generic looking 3D models. Though why do they have the old white and blue NY license plates instead of the current black and orange? I thought this was meant to take place today given that the Freedom Tower was complete before downtown turned into hell. :911:

Also while I know they did that to show that the airport was near NYC, there is no part of Newark Airport where your would get a clear view of the midtown Manhattan skyline. If you try to look in the direction of midtown, you'd see the Port of Newark, Bayonne, Jersey City, and Liberty State Park and downtown Manhattan would still be in the way. :spergin:

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 27, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm so glad Funimation got this now, because it makes a bluray release and/or dub feel way more likely. This episode really knocked it out of the park and I'm hoping it stays that way. Loving the background details like at the party and the billboard thanking the producers for throwing afterparties.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'd be pretty surprised if BBB didn't make the cut for their simuldubs this season, it's an easy sell to a lot of people and last season they simuldubbed almost everything they picked up.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Edward IV posted:

As someone who lives in the News York City metro area and worked in midtown Manhattan for a few years, I'm loving the decent to good attention to detail in the setting and backgrounds. Particularly the cars since they look like actual cars you'd find in the city instead of generic looking 3D models. Though why do they have the old white and blue NY license plates instead of the current black and orange? I thought this was meant to take place today given that the Freedom Tower was complete before downtown turned into hell. :911:

Also while I know they did that to show that the airport was near NYC, there is no part of Newark Airport where your would get a clear view of the midtown Manhattan skyline. If you try to look in the direction of midtown, you'd see the Port of Newark, Bayonne, Jersey City, and Liberty State Park and downtown Manhattan would still be in the way. :spergin:

Eh, just assume it was Newark downtown in the background or something.

Also assume that Super Mayor Corey Booker saved everyone on the plane.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It was a point of worldbuilding in the previous episode that the city is always moving around, changing the layout of things.

Nat
Apr 3, 2012
Those vampires, that Klaus, this soundtrack, dem backgrounds :allears:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

As this subforum occasionally likes to worry its head over whether or not Japan likes the same stuff we do, in this case it seems we're in good company.

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 4

I forget the translations, but 1 is good while 5 is bad. Only setback is we don't know the viewership numbers.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Close to 90% of the viewership loves the show, so even if there isn't much viewership right now I can't imagine that this won't ultimately become extremely popular once word of mouth starts pulling people in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

It was a point of worldbuilding in the previous episode that the city is always moving around, changing the layout of things.

The city isn't physically moving, it's just getting rezoned. Legally the dude's apartment building was now a high-class hotel but nothing about it had actually changed.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

everythingWasBees posted:

The sound mixing has been getting gradually better. What's a shame is that the actual effects and such they use are really good!

There was only one thing that kind of irked me: when Klaus is shown clinging to the ceiling, the sound effect that plays with the small flash of white light sounded to me like the airblast sound effect from TF2.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The city isn't physically moving, it's just getting rezoned. Legally the dude's apartment building was now a high-class hotel but nothing about it had actually changed.

Aside from the gigantic eldritch horror suddenly outside his room? That and the walls straight up missing seemed to imply that either the apartments or tourist location got dropped into existence next to the other. It's also way cooler and more in line with the setting that JL would rearrange itself constantly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

Aside from the gigantic eldritch horror suddenly outside his room? That and the walls straight up missing seemed to imply that either the apartments or tourist location got dropped into existence next to the other. It's also way cooler and more in line with the setting that JL would rearrange itself constantly.

I assumed the gigantic eldritch horror was the cause of said missing walls :shrug:.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I assumed the walls were missing because the building had been cut in half during the move.

Oh well.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this episode ruled

good for Leo

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's an actual movie too:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096320/

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The city isn't physically moving
No that's exactly what is happening. Jersusalm's Lot changes layout daily.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

This was a good episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I am completely on board with the glorious advent of Dog Hummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh my god is that Twins

• Locked thread