Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Got this the other day. Not sure how they got my contact info.

Some UAV Business posted:

Greetings!

This is Redacted from UAV Business, we are looking for experienced RC pilots to make the move to commercial UAV flying. If you know someone who is interested, please ask them to send their resumes to UAV Business. Below are the details:

UAV Business is looking for a flight field technician to help us in daily UAV flight testing, improving the procedural workflow, and vetting new sensor types. The successful candidate will work with the production team in developing solutions for UAV flights, completing field reports, and assisting in regular UAV maintenance and upkeep. (Salary: $30,000 to $35,000 annually)

Experience

• Practical:

o UAV and R/C piloting experience utilizing advanced navigation control systems

o Utilization of flight planning and management software at GCS

o Abide by Redacted Regulations

• Academic background, Bachelor’s Degree in:

o Aviation, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or Computer Science

Job Description

• Regular flight testing of UAV’s at Redacted test zone

• Sensor flight testing and confirmation of test data collection

• Up to 50% travel - Servicing data collection flight assignments for customers at their locations, domestically and internationally

• Contribute to the development and refining of the end-to-end flight testing process

• Maintain flight testing records for newly produced and field-use fleet UAV’s

• File Non-Conformance Reports (NCRs) as needed

• Train others on flight operations as requested

• Assemble components of UAV Business’s UAV

• Contribute to the team’s efforts to improve and maintain quality standards for commercial assembly

• Perform bench testing procedures for components that are assembled

• Help establish field test processes based on in-field experience of obstacles and difficulties with programmed and manual flights

• Assist with Product shipping requirements until standardized

• Contribute customer feedback that you heard and observed during on-site customer engagements

• Other duties as assigned

Thank you and have a great day ahead!

I wonder how many people with a bachelors degree are willing to work for so little.

If I wanted to make that little I'd get my CPL and fly for a regional airline. this is actually more than typical first year pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Elendil004 posted:

Guys with commercial grade rigs (ideally high endurance, FPV +monitor support) and valid Passports shoot me a PM.

edit: and the ability to travel within 24 hours

This got lost at the bottom of last page, apologies but this is time sensitive.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tindjin posted:

poo poo my CC hates me so bad right now.. Just ordered a PA XR-52 to step up my 3D game. Ugh.. I'll post pics when I get it next week.

Nice! I really like PA's stuff and the Addiction X is on my list. Did you buy their motor/ESC as well?.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
finished my battery

4s5p - I had enough to do 4s7p, but I think this is fine, especially given the length.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Hey since you guys are building EXPERIMENTAL FPV QUADS FROM THE FUTURE I have a suggestion for you:

Barometers suck and so does lidar. I want a system where I drop a radio source on the ground, and a detector on the flight drone and have it triangulate and do math and poo poo instead of rely on the capricious atmosphere and uneven surface.

Also your pay is pretty nice actually but nobody signs "additional duties as assigned" without defining broad and strict limitations. Nobody wants "cleaning the work area at the end of the day" tacked on their contract. Hire a janitor.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

DreadLlama posted:

Barometers suck and so does lidar. I want a system where I drop a radio source on the ground, and a detector on the flight drone and have it triangulate and do math and poo poo instead of rely on the capricious atmosphere and uneven surface.

What could go wrong? Well, other than the way radio signals bounce off surfaces and forms nulls and false sources and now suddenly the drone thinks that wall over there is really the ground and...

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've actually seen some ground based gps beacon kinda stuff used in very high end applications. Talks to something on the drone itself and helps increase accuracy for mapping and such. Wish I could find the company again. hilariously expensive though.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

What it's probably doing is differential GPS. When you need extreme (<30cm) accuracy, you get two receivers a distance appart, then you can start canceling out enviromental factors between you and the sattelite constellations, giving you a higher accuracy.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Can APM handle a second GPS out of the box?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cool I was making a battery of my own this weekend. I got the cells from dollar store USB phone chargers(but they were $3!:argh:) and salvaged the charging circuitry. I'm hoping that since they're all wired in parallel that everything will charge ok.

It's going to be a battery handle for a 3D Mobius rig I'm building. 4x 3.7v wired in parallel, then stepped up to 12v for the gimbal controller. Since the IMU recieves 5v and has an output for 3.3v as well, I plan on using one of those lines to power both the mobius boards. Eventually I want to mount it under a quad but for now I'm testing it with rollerblades.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DreadLlama posted:

Can APM handle a second GPS out of the box?

the newest version of arducopter / arduplane should support multiple gps for redundancy.

edit: this might be supported only on the pixhawk though.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 27, 2015

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

MRC48B posted:

What it's probably doing is differential GPS. When you need extreme (<30cm) accuracy, you get two receivers a distance appart, then you can start canceling out enviromental factors between you and the sattelite constellations, giving you a higher accuracy.

The guys that are doing Lidar survey rigs are using RTK gps. RTK is a little more insane mode of differential, because you are tuning into the carrier wave itself to get a range. Capable receivers are from $2-20k. This gives you about 1cm accuracy horizontally, and 2cm vertically. I use a setup at work, and when I let it sit for 15 minutes I frequently get results around 3mm of accuracy XYZ. Obviously a moving vehicle won't, but it's enough to fly through gaps and what not. But it's also sensitive. What are you going to do when your 40k flying machine loses lock and flies into the ocean?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
at 40k, you better have some other ways of getting home beyond "just gps"

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Nice! I really like PA's stuff and the Addiction X is on my list. Did you buy their motor/ESC as well?.

Yea I watched some of the vids and they were going everything with the PA package so I thought it would be a good starting point, I can always upgrade later but this way it's a 'known' setup that will work. I also got their "bling" package with the vortex generators and wing bags etc.., I figure what the heck lets go all out.

It should be delivered today. I'll grab a couple pics of the un-boxing.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Speaking of deliveries, new motor/ESC/props arrived today. Time to pimp my Bixler.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Beautiful job on this by the way :allears:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
poo poo I was waiting all winter for arrived in late spring so a few weeks ago my Quanum Trifecta was able to fly. Now it's tuning and playing with all the tuning learning what's what - it's my first multirotor.

Unless you count the little bitty quad which was little more than a toy for $15 from secret pirate island. The tricopter actually flies and handles fairly similarly other than being way better at not drifting laterally. I'm hoping I can get it moving and handling more like a robot once I dial in the PID tuning but WTF do I know, I've never done this before. How exciting! :yayclod:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I decided to try getting into the hobby about two month ago, after catching Flite Test on youtube and watching way, way too much of it. I got myself a Phoenix/DX6i combo and practiced that most nights for about a two weeks; got tired of flying virtual airplanes and got a UXM Radian. Good fun. Don't know how long it'll last until I'm looking for something with a bit more challenge, though.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Sigma X posted:

I decided to try getting into the hobby about two month ago, after catching Flite Test on youtube and watching way, way too much of it. I got myself a Phoenix/DX6i combo and practiced that most nights for about a two weeks; got tired of flying virtual airplanes and got a UXM Radian. Good fun. Don't know how long it'll last until I'm looking for something with a bit more challenge, though.

I still enjoy my big Radian, although the challenge now is how long can I keep it up on one engine burst. If you're looking into 4-channel trainer planes, e-flite makes the Apprentice, which has a bunch of neat electronics for easing you into planes with less self-stabilization. (Flite Test review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8H02ZaRjQU)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I actually just ordered that this weekend after agonizing over the sport cub s and the delta Ray. The size made it more appealing (also selling some extra stuff last week). Horizon hobby has the best deal I think

I considered getting a bixler and a lemon rx stabilizer or flight controller, but they seem to be only international warehouse only at the moment

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 28, 2015

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Golluk posted:

Speaking of deliveries, new motor/ESC/props arrived today. Time to pimp my Bixler.

What did you go with? I've got a Bix3 sitting in box waiting for me to make a decision on a motor..

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

ease posted:

The guys that are doing Lidar survey rigs are using RTK gps. RTK is a little more insane mode of differential, because you are tuning into the carrier wave itself to get a range. Capable receivers are from $2-20k. This gives you about 1cm accuracy horizontally, and 2cm vertically. I use a setup at work, and when I let it sit for 15 minutes I frequently get results around 3mm of accuracy XYZ. Obviously a moving vehicle won't, but it's enough to fly through gaps and what not. But it's also sensitive. What are you going to do when your 40k flying machine loses lock and flies into the ocean?

Thanks. That sounds like a technology to keep an eye on for a while. Do you know roughly how fast the prices are coming down?

A Yolo Wizard posted:

the newest version of arducopter / arduplane should support multiple gps for redundancy.

edit: this might be supported only on the pixhawk though.
Do you happen to know which version likely ships on Cheerson CX-20's purchased in early April?

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Some of my FPV footage from a year ago was featured on the Discovery Channel Canada show Daily Planet. They used my footage in a story about wind turbines and how they affect birds. Pretty sweet!

The story with my footage starts at 22:50 on the video on their front page here:
http://www.discovery.ca/dailyplanet

My original video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP9JH-MEmp8

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So I know the inspire camera pops off, can you swap in something like a thermal unit?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There are no alternatives or upgrades yet.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Anyone had hands on with S900 or S1000?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Elendil004 posted:

Anyone had hands on with S900 or S1000?

Lots of time on S900's. What do you need to know?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Wojcigitty posted:

Lots of time on S900's. What do you need to know?

Would you get one again given the choice? Any payload snafus? I know the 1000 will carry more but is the 900 under/over powered? Ease of swapping different cameras in and out? gimbal thoughts?

Kind of tossing around either a S900/S1000 or Inspire.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I've been flying a Hubsan X4 version for a couple of months now, and I want to build a bigger 450 quad. I picked up a cheap Neewer body from Amazon, but I'd love advice on other parts. I'm thinking a Naze32 Full FC - I want to be able to control this thing via altimeter and GPS, rather than a typical RC controller, but I'm not sure what motors and ESCs to get. Also, any advice for a first build?

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

a foolish pianist posted:

I've been flying a Hubsan X4 version for a couple of months now, and I want to build a bigger 450 quad. I picked up a cheap Neewer body from Amazon, but I'd love advice on other parts. I'm thinking a Naze32 Full FC - I want to be able to control this thing via altimeter and GPS, rather than a typical RC controller, but I'm not sure what motors and ESCs to get. Also, any advice for a first build?

I posted an overview of the general part list you'll need a page or so ago: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386779&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=108#post444411276

I went with the Flamewheel F450 kit and the Naza-M V2, pretty much entirely DJI parts otherwise as well. If you got this Neweer body, you can follow any of the F450 guides out there as it's a 100% copy of DJI's F450.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yep, same exact frame. Thanks! I tried clicking around early pages in this thread, and there were still links to waffleimages. I kinda gave up on going through the whole thing.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Tindjin posted:

What did you go with? I've got a Bix3 sitting in box waiting for me to make a decision on a motor..

Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 2836 1040kv, Spinning an APC 8x6e prop, with a Plush 40A ESC. The motor was a direct fit on the stock mount. I tried a 9x4.7 prop as well, but it was just clipping the fuselage. It would have to be extended out another 2", or up 1/2" to clear.

Full throttle on a battery at 11.3v no load, was 18.7 amps. I haven't actually gotten it up in the air yet to find a good cruise throttle. Once I do, I can check the amp pull on that. Another guy was cruising at something like 3-4 amps though, albeit on a 4s (which I have coming). Definitely quieter than the 6x4 on a 2826 2200kv motor, though less top end (it was pulling 24 amps at full).

Just need to swap out the MinimOSD, get that updated to the latest, and it should be good for a test flight.

MinimOSD arrived, and I believe the 4s 4Ah battery to :O

Golluk fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 1, 2015

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Vitamin J posted:

Some of my FPV footage from a year ago was featured on the Discovery Channel Canada show Daily Planet. They used my footage in a story about wind turbines and how they affect birds. Pretty sweet!

The story with my footage starts at 22:50 on the video on their front page here:
http://www.discovery.ca/dailyplanet

My original video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP9JH-MEmp8

Awesome man. Congrats.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Elendil004 posted:

Would you get one again given the choice? Any payload snafus? I know the 1000 will carry more but is the 900 under/over powered? Ease of swapping different cameras in and out? gimbal thoughts?

Kind of tossing around either a S900/S1000 or Inspire.

It depends a lot on what you want to do. The S900 is very happy to carry 3 lbs or so with a 16,000 mah battery for a safe 12-15 minute flight in my experience. It mounts easily to all of the higher end DJI gimbals like the Z15, but needs an adapter plate for the H3 if you want to use that.

The Inspire is easier to get in the air and will get you great footage. If you have a more specific camera in mind or want to use a non-DJI FC then the S900 is the way to go.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mister Sinewave posted:

Beautiful job on this by the way :allears:

Thanks man:) I'm redesigning the body section to be more streamlined. I really wasn't happy with the original geometry and just settled on a shape where everything fit. It's more like a vision2 cam now, but 3D.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 2, 2015

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Are self-tightening propellors ala: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/4PC-9443-Sel...=item2ee033655e well-regarded? My flight drone just fell out of the sky on account of one of the props came loose mid flight. I'm glad all those trees were there to brake its fall. With toy sized flight drones props coming loose wasn't a thing I had to think about. I checked the nuts on the 3 that were still on and they were loose, too. Are there any other issues that crop-up with the 350 sized quads that aren't common among the smaller ones? (GPS assisted flight is awesome. I still can't get over how I can just park it mid-air and have it stay there. But there's not much the autopilot can do when a prop flies off).

But anyways, self-tightening propellors. Yay or nay?

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

DreadLlama posted:

Are self-tightening propellors ala: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/4PC-9443-Sel...=item2ee033655e well-regarded? My flight drone just fell out of the sky on account of one of the props came loose mid flight. I'm glad all those trees were there to brake its fall. With toy sized flight drones props coming loose wasn't a thing I had to think about. I checked the nuts on the 3 that were still on and they were loose, too. Are there any other issues that crop-up with the 350 sized quads that aren't common among the smaller ones? (GPS assisted flight is awesome. I still can't get over how I can just park it mid-air and have it stay there. But there's not much the autopilot can do when a prop flies off).

But anyways, self-tightening propellors. Yay or nay?

Yes they are fine.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Cool beans.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
So we were out rolling the field and getting the lawnmower ready for the flying season.

One guy got a bit too close to the wet part of the field and sunk the steam roller up to the axles. Needed a rather large bulldozer to break it free.

Made for a nice FPV obstacle. Jump to around 1:20 to see the best part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1h4t1bPYpU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Finally tried out the SK3 2836 1040kv 8x6E combo. First flight was on 3S 3Ah. It was.... Lethargic. It worked, but I wasn't really happy with it.

So I took out the balance weight, and tossed in the bigger 4S 4Ah. It flew great, cruised around at 5.5 amps. Lots of climbing power at 9.5 amps. Looks like I should be able to get 40+ minutes out of it. Even with the throttle off, it had a very nice glide to it. Total weight is at 1.3Kg. I don't think I'll be putting the 3S back in.

http://imgur.com/a/K7n47