Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
The classic "my second cousin's girlfriend told me someone said a mean word, so the assaults, destruction of property and looting are all cool".

Enigma89 posted:

It's pretty crazy how pissed people are about the cops shooting down random black teens on the street and then when you look at youtube comments of these Baltimore protests/riots and the most upvoted ones are the most racist ones. Is Baltimore super racists or is Stormfront just voting in mass on these videos?

Surprise, ruining poo poo for everyone pisses people off and tends to set them against you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I know that when I get cut off while driving, I roll down the window and scream as many ethnic slurs as I can think of. It's an entirely normal reaction.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
One time I got hit in the nuts with a baseball, and I just repeated the fourteen words over and over again.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

semper wifi posted:

The classic "my second cousin's girlfriend told me someone said a mean word, so the assaults, destruction of property and looting are all cool".

That isn't what he said though.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Effectronica posted:

I know that when I get cut off while driving, I roll down the window and scream as many ethnic slurs as I can think of. It's an entirely normal reaction.

Angry people saying or doing anything they think might hurt the person they're angry at is a pretty common thing, yeah.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Had to go to court recently because my neighbors didn't believe that I involuntarily burn crosses on people's lawns when they let the weeds get too thick.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
Cross burnings and upvoting youtube comments: literally the same thing

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

chitoryu12 posted:

Finland has its own issues with racism, predominately against immigrants, but I don't think there's any analogue to black people in terms of a single racial group that gets constantly abused (to say nothing of being slaves until less than 200 years ago). The Sami suffer discrimination, but it's more similar to what's suffered by Native Americans over here; they lost all indigenous land claims and are intended to be integrated into Finnish culture, and have almost no representation in the government.

Man that got me thinking, so I googled and exactly 150 years ago today Booth was shot and killed.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
the IRS was delinquent on my tax refund one year. I mailed them photos of the rage-induced working scale model of Treblinka I had built in my backyard, complete with all the mice I gassed with it, and they haven't done it since.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

semper wifi posted:

Cross burnings and upvoting youtube comments: literally the same thing

They're not the same thing but they're related. One of the awful results of the rioting is going to be the nonstop ":siren: URBAN FERALS CAN'T CONTROL THEMSELVES :siren:" bullshit that we're going to be hearing for weeks now. Racist shits are sending a pretty clear message to black people; you will sit down, shut up, and accept your lot in life or there will be repercussions.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

It's pretty crazy how pissed people are about the cops shooting down random black teens on the street and then when you look at youtube comments of these Baltimore protests/riots and the most upvoted ones are the most racist ones. Is Baltimore super racists or is Stormfront just voting in mass on these videos?

semper wifi posted:

Surprise, ruining poo poo for everyone pisses people off and tends to set them against you.
Normal people don't spout racist poo poo when something bad happens to them. Just because you're a racist rear end in a top hat doesn't mean that everyone else is or acts like you. Stop Projecting

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

That sure is a bunch of shops being looted.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

chitoryu12 posted:

Finland has its own issues with racism, predominately against immigrants, but I don't think there's any analogue to black people in terms of a single racial group that gets constantly abused (to say nothing of being slaves until less than 200 years ago). The Sami suffer discrimination, but it's more similar to what's suffered by Native Americans over here; they lost all indigenous land claims and are intended to be integrated into Finnish culture, and have almost no representation in the government.

I was always thought it like this: a country like Finland definitely has personal level racism or casual racism, but it doesn't have nearly as much institutional racism as a country like the US. The Roma and the Sami absolutely suffer from institutional level racism, but it's not like they have to fear for their lives whenever dealing with state actors. However, people definitely talk about the Roma in the same ways white Americans talk about black Americans.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Antti posted:

I was always thought it like this: a country like Finland definitely has personal level racism or casual racism, but it doesn't have nearly as much institutional racism as a country like the US. The Roma and the Sami absolutely suffer from institutional level racism, but it's not like they have to fear for their lives whenever dealing with state actors. However, people definitely talk about the Roma in the same ways white Americans talk about black Americans.

I'm not sure about that. Anti-ziganism is the big, unexplored skeleton in the closet of much of Europe (including my own country, the UK), and I suspect it's only a matter of time before a high-profile investigation reveals some truly eye-watering poo poo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

semper wifi posted:

Against..whom? All black people? Because that's whom racist comments target.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

effectual posted:

Man that got me thinking, so I googled and exactly 150 years ago today Booth was shot and killed.

The way Booth got shot was actually controversial and police brutality in itself. Others soldiers present said that Booth didn't have a firearm in hand, but shooter, Sergeant Corbett, maintained to death that Booth was about to fire at him.

He was even recommended for punishment but it went nowhere.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 27, 2015

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I am grateful for Police Men because there is a Law; the Law must be upheld; it is necessary to use weapons because some People are antisocial; but a large majority of the Populace cannot be trusted with weapons. e.g. [for example] School Children cannot be trusted with so much as an egg or they will cause mischief. The Law will not be upheld unless specially trained members of the Populace are allowed to have weapons. This is a function of the Police. They are necessary.

Edit: I included an incorrect tag.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Enhydra Lutris posted:

I am grateful for Police Men because there is a Law; the Law must be upheld; it is necessary to use weapons because some People are antisocial; but a large majority of the Populace cannot be trusted with weapons. e.g. [for example] School Children cannot be trusted with so much as an egg or they will cause mischief. The Law will not be upheld unless specially trained members of the Populace are allowed to have weapons. This is a function of the Police. They are necessary.

Edit: I included an incorrect tag.

Is this post a puzzle or are you schizophrenic?

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I am not a Schizophrenic.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

semper wifi posted:

Angry people saying or doing anything they think might hurt the person they're angry at is a pretty common thing, yeah.

weird, huh?

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Antti posted:

But isn't the thread kind-of about the not-fearing-for-their-live thing?

Also, I'm not sure if USA actually gets what rioting is about.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Baltimore "protestor" holds a bottle of vodka, a bag, and is stealing a woman's purse

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Welcome to a page or two ago.
Photo doesn't quite show what you say.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

shrike82 posted:

Baltimore "protestor" holds a bottle of vodka, a bag, and is stealing a woman's purse

The bag is the black man's, sorry about your racism.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Lemming posted:

I'm the dark haired woman reaching for the bag and I can tell you that's actually an intro for a Brazzer's clip we shot later.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

shrike82 posted:

Don't worry lil buddy there's plenty of pictures that will fit into your world view you just have to keep looking!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Orioles COO John Angelos

quote:

[S]peaking only for myself, I agree with your point that the principle of peaceful, non-violent protest and the observance of the rule of law is of utmost importance in any society. MLK, Gandhi, Mandela and all great opposition leaders throughout history have always preached this precept. Further, it is critical that in any democracy, investigation must be completed and due process must be honored before any government or police members are judged responsible.

That said, my greater source of personal concern, outrage and sympathy beyond this particular case is focused neither upon one night’s property damage nor upon the acts, but is focused rather upon the past four-decade period during which an American political elite have shipped middle class and working class jobs away from Baltimore and cities and towns around the U.S. to third-world dictatorships like China and others, plunged tens of millions of good, hard-working Americans into economic devastation, and then followed that action around the nation by diminishing every American’s civil rights protections in order to control an unfairly impoverished population living under an ever-declining standard of living and suffering at the butt end of an ever-more militarized and aggressive surveillance state. :drat:

The innocent working families of all backgrounds whose lives and dreams have been cut short by excessive violence, surveillance, and other abuses of the Bill of Rights by government pay the true price, and ultimate price, and one that far exceeds the importances of any kids’ game played tonight, or ever, at Camden Yards. We need to keep in mind people are suffering and dying around the U.S., and while we are thankful no one was injured at Camden Yards, there is a far bigger picture for poor Americans in Baltimore and everywhere who don’t have jobs and are losing economic civil and legal rights, and this makes inconvenience at a ballgame irrelevant in light of the needless suffering government is inflicting upon ordinary Americans.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Lemming posted:

That twitter screenshot doesn't change the fact that the strap is on her wrist, he's clearly yanking it off her arm. The idea of that guy carrying around a black leather handbag is pretty funny though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

semper wifi posted:

That twitter screenshot doesn't change the fact that the strap is on her wrist, he's clearly yanking it off her arm. The idea of that guy carrying around a black leather handbag is pretty funny though.

You think that if someone is trying to steal something from you you should just let them take it?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

semper wifi posted:

Cool, any more huffy grievances you'd like to air while poo poo goes real in your country?

Because that woman with the purse gives way more of a gently caress about that black dude and the situation in Baltimore than you ever truly will.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lemming posted:

You think that if someone is trying to steal something from you you should just let them take it?

If that person taking is white and you're black, that's like the bedrock of race relations in thr us.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Armani posted:

Cool, any more huffy grievances you'd like to air while poo poo goes real in your country?

Because that woman with the purse gives way more of a gently caress about that black dude and the situation in Baltimore than you ever truly will.

"The situation in Baltimore" you mean the one where rioters have successfully obliterated any actual message they might have had about the police and replaced it with pictures and videos of muggings, assaults, and looting? If you asked someone on the street right now, "what do you think about Baltimore?" the answer would come back "you mean the riots?". For like the fourth time now, the dumbass protesters shoot themselves in the feet while idiots on twitter cheer them on.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

semper wifi posted:

"The situation in Baltimore" you mean the one where rioters have successfully obliterated any actual message they might have had about the police and replaced it with pictures and videos of muggings, assaults, and looting? If you asked someone on the street right now, "what do you think about Baltimore?" the answer would come back "you mean the riots?". For like the fourth time now, the dumbass protesters shoot themselves in the feet while idiots on twitter cheer them on.

Given that pretty much all of human history has shown that grievances bring riots when they become too much to bear, you'd think that this would be recognized as the agitprop that it is, but of course people will treat it as a reasoned argument.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

semper wifi posted:

The only reason anything at all happened in Ferguson (like the DoJ report) was as a result of the protests. You're pretty blind to think that they have no positive impact.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 27, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why does a peaceful protester have to answer for what a violent rioter does?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Radbot posted:

Why does a Good Cop have to answer for what a bad cop does?

Answer: Because the good cop covers up for the bad cop :(

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Radbot posted:

Because they're both black. That makes them an Other, don't you know?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Radbot posted:

Because much like how a single shoplifting charge at 15 makes a black man deserve being shot unarmed by cops a single black protester breaking something means the entire movement is discredited.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

semper wifi posted:

Trust me, it'll be all over once the cops decide to mow it down. Then you can sleep at night again.

E: I have no answer for no one who can not remotely sympathize with this situation. These are your fellow Americans, where is your loving support?

Radbot posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Lemming posted:

The only reason anything at all happened in Ferguson (like the DoJ report) was as a result of the protests. You're pretty blind to think that they have no positive impact.

The protesters in Ferguson burned down a non-zero percentage of their city in return for some token concessions from the PD. They got like, what, "we'll hire more black people" and "no more racist emails!"? They looted and destroyed their own neighborhoods, drove out businesses, and got almost nothing in return. Not only that but once the spotlight is off the town, things are only going to get worse between the citizens and the PD because relations are at an all-time low.

semper wifi fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 27, 2015

• Locked thread