Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Poetic Justice posted:

I dug the juxtaposition of how he pleaded for mercy and was beheaded anyway and it was the right thing to do to strengthen the leadership of John, and when Dany did it to a guy pleading for mercy it was the wrong thing to do and probably weakened her leadership.

The beheading was definitely meant to contrast with Dany's beheading scene. She didn't do it herself, she didn't have the backing of the people, and she wasn't following the same ethical code as everyone else in the room.

What I want to know is, was Cersei actually defeated by Margaery? I kept expecting her to pull some crazy-eyed gambit in that scene, but she just came across as terrified of being sent back to Casterly Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Petr posted:

The beheading was definitely meant to contrast with Dany's beheading scene. She didn't do it herself, she didn't have the backing of the people, and she wasn't following the same ethical code as everyone else in the room.

What I want to know is, was Cersei actually defeated by Margaery? I kept expecting her to pull some crazy-eyed gambit in that scene, but she just came across as terrified of being sent back to Casterly Rock.

Shes too old and drunk to play the game anymore. She'll probably try some hamhanded assassination and fail miserably and turn Tommen against her.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Still don't get how Ron Snow can be so hard into his vows when two seasons ago he was going face down in Wildling.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Hexel posted:

Shes too old and drunk to play the game anymore. She'll probably try some hamhanded assassination and fail miserably and turn Tommen against her.
I'd still pick Cersei in any fight - or at the very least, Margaery may win, but Cersei will destroy them both.

MizPiz posted:

Click the question mark under his username
I reported the post but I said "GOT throne" instead of "GOT troll" so now I look like an idiot to whoever picks up the report.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
What was with the deal with the body under the sheet? Am I supposed to know who that is or is it still a mystery?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

^burtle posted:

Still don't get how Ron Snow can be so hard into his vows when two seasons ago he was going face down in Wildling.

Puberty. Isn't he like 16 or something?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I reported the post but I said "GOT throne" instead of "GOT troll" so now I look like an idiot to whoever picks up the report.

Hahah man, come on.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

^burtle posted:

I think he has begun to have a true appreciation for where his place is. Something like The Wall has to take some getting used to. Plus, come on, aint no one taking that celibacy vow serious in that place; think they mention that in a previous episode where brothers were sneaking off to brothels at night.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Wizard Master posting "i thought this episode was garbage, personally" is basically GOT/TVIV lore tradition at this point so you should probably just roll with it. It wouldn't feel like a normal GOT season without it honestly.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

keevo posted:

What was with the deal with the body under the sheet? Am I supposed to know who that is or is it still a mystery?

Its the Mountain, and hes doing the thing to him where he said he would be stronger but..different.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

plscks posted:

When Cersi went to see that sparrow guy, was that Gendry at the door? Kinda looked like him to me. Also, Arya works at the morgue now?!

No Gendry's still paddling

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Wizard Master posting "i thought this episode was garbage, personally" is basically GOT/TVIV lore tradition at this point so you should probably just roll with it. It wouldn't feel like a normal GOT season without it honestly.

I still giggle whenever I see it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Jon promoting Alliser Thorne to First Ranger... was that an intentional power play to make sure he had Alliser's compliance when he ordered Janos to the other castle? Or just Jon appreciating Thorne's talent without any sort of Machiavellian pre-planning?

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Steve Yun posted:

Jon promoting Alliser Thorne to First Ranger... was that an intentional power play to make sure he had Alliser's compliance when he ordered Janos to the other castle? Or just Jon appreciating Thorne's talent without any sort of Machiavellian pre-planning?

From the tone of the dialogue it seems to me that Jon expected Janos to restore Greyguard and follow his orders. It was only after Janos threw a fit that Jon's attitude changed. So I don't think he meant to kill him from the start.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Zippy the Bummer posted:

From the tone of the dialogue it seems to me that Jon expected Janos to restore Greyguard and follow his orders. It was only after Janos threw a fit that Jon's attitude changed. So I don't think he meant to kill him from the start.

I agree. His tone was immediately, "yes I know it sucks but we have some guys to help you try to fix it up." Once Janos lost his head, well, then... He lost his head.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Steve Yun posted:

It seemed like Jon genuinely respects him, even if they don't get along, and realizes that throwing him a bone will also earn him some good will with Alliser and the rest of the Watch. Jon gets to look like the bigger man, keep a useful dude around, and make him less likely to harbor resentment / try to undermine him later. Alliser is a competent rear end in a top hat, Janos was an incompetent one.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Steve Yun posted:

Both. Shows Jon is pragmatic enough to elevate his former enemies if they're capable while also politically savvy.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

^burtle posted:

He was ordered to blend in. loving a wildling is a good way to keep your cover...not that he intended that to be the reason, just an excuse.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

rapeface posted:

Both. Shows Jon is pragmatic enough to elevate his former enemies if they're capable while also politically savvy.

I suppose even if he didn't expect Janos to defy him, it was politically savvy to make sure everyone's compliance was solidified in case a challenge to his power like that came up. General preparedness. I'm still unsure one way or the other but it was a great scene whichever interpretation you choose.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I need to find a gif of Tyrions response to that brothel bouncer and Varyss response right after because that seriously cracked me the gently caress up.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Hexel posted:

Its the Mountain, and hes doing the thing to him where he said he would be stronger but..different.

Wait seriously?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

keevo posted:

Wait seriously?

Yeah, it was a scene during the season finale last season. Qyburn being a straight up amoral wizard makes him the best.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, it was a scene during the season finale last season. Qyburn being a straight up amoral wizard makes him the best.

That's more dumb than the vagina shadow monster, I hope this isn't real.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Poetic Justice posted:

That's more dumb than the vagina shadow monster, I hope this isn't real.

You do know what show you're watching, right? You okay with dragons and ice demons but not frankenmountains?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

warcrimes posted:

You do know what show you're watching, right? You okay with dragons and ice demons but not frankenmountains?

Yes, I am okay with reasonable things like dragons and ice demons. Shadow monster vaginas and and reanimated midget headed giants are sorta out there.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Poetic Justice posted:

Yes, I am okay with reasonable things like dragons and ice demons. Shadow monster vaginas and and reanimated midget headed giants are sorta out there.

There's also literal elves and dragons, too. GoT's been a D&D campaign from the get-go.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

There's also literal elves and dragons, too. GoT's been a D&D campaign from the get-go.

Look, I love DnD a lot, but that's not how this series has been sold to me. The only reason I was ok with the shadow vagina monster is because it happened sort of quickly and was done with before I had time to react. Are you telling me it's only going to get more like that?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
The whole series is about the world getting more magic-y instead of less, unlike Tolkien.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I just hope they don't attach a fake Tyrion head to a dead Mountain. I can't imagine any way that would look good or be cool.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Poetic Justice posted:

Shadow monster vagina

GoT's answer to Sauron hasn't actually shown up yet. :v:

Steve Yun posted:

I suppose even if he didn't expect Janos to defy him, it was politically savvy to make sure everyone's compliance was solidified in case a challenge to his power like that came up. General preparedness. I'm still unsure one way or the other but it was a great scene whichever interpretation you choose.

It was Stannis who gave him the idea in the first place, and uncovering treason is how he relaxes. Jon forcing the mutineers' hands by sending their leader away would also be the most :black101: way to handle things, so of course that's how he told him to do it.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I will be really upset if there is not a stitched together giant with a tiny head flipping out and smashing someone with a broadsword now

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Poetic Justice posted:

Summoning demons to do your bidding is pretty archetypical fantasy lore. As is reanimating the dead. I mean, I could come up with dumb names to make dragons and ice demons sound really silly but they're all fantasy stereotypes. Someone made a joke about a midget head being stitched to the mountain's reanimated/possessed corpse and you seem to be taking that a bit too much to heart.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I will be really upset if there is not a stitched together giant with a tiny head flipping out and smashing someone with a broadsword now

Ned and Joffrey on the same body. They won't stop thunking each other's heads, also their necromantic state has caused them to develop Three Stooges voices.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Game of Thrones Season 5: Reasonable things like dragons and ice demons

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Rila Fukushima out of nowhere. Are there katanas in GoT? There better be.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Could we get a gif of that, by the way?

At this size you can barely see it. Which only makes it better, I think.

Cession posted:

I need to find a gif of Tyrions response to that brothel bouncer and Varyss response right after because that seriously cracked me the gently caress up.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve Yun posted:

I think it's both. Plus he's also showing how he's not a douche like Alliser and can be rational even when it comes down to promoting someone he dislikes because of his competence.

rapeface posted:

The whole series is about the world getting more magic-y instead of less, unlike Tolkien.

Yea, this is pretty explicit. The necromancers who stole the dragons even mentioned that ever since the Dragons were born Magic which had disappeared is returning strong.

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I thought this episode was WAY better than last week.

Me and my friend watch the show and we pick which characters we are going to be (we have back up characters in case our mains die off) his character is tyrion and my character is the guy who kidnapped tyrion and the end of the so we had a good laugh about that, and it was totally amazing to see our characters finally meet in the show. Hopefully our characters become friends though!

Wow, this is the worst thing I have ever read.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

After finding a book racist against wildlings Sam tears it up in front of his brothers.

Up on a balcony, Gilly nods determinedly.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Kempo posted:

Wow, this is the worst thing I have ever read.

You haven't been on the internet very long, have you? :D

Steve Yun posted:

Jon might not have known that Janos was going to go off like that, but giving Alliser a promotion before giving Janos a chance to act like a dick may very well have been a calculation.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Theon's gonna gently caress up the plan to ice the Boltons, I just know it. Like Sansa will literally be drawing a dagger over a sleeping Ramsay when Theon grabs her and runs, trying to rescue her and they get lost in the woods or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM

Wizard Master posted:

I thought this episode was garbage personally.

At least you haven't left us too. :unsmith:

• Locked thread