Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Still cant make topics with this retarded app

And, to everyone else's benefit, you probably never will be able to. This has been discussed enough. If you want to post threads, code it yourself and submit a pull request. The current developers have no interest in adding that functionality and have stated why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That's just the apk we gave you. The rest of us have been doing it for months now.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

and nothing of value was lost

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Too bad you can still make posts.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

From the department of "you can't please everybody", I liked "tap for next page" better than "pull for next page". App continues being awesome, though!

I'm going to be really angry when I'm forced to update from the November 2014 version of this app, aren't I?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Thank you for your input.

Hadlock posted:

I'm going to be really angry when I'm forced to update from the November 2014 version of this app, aren't I?

Did you get angry at the MD update of the Google Apps?

Also you're not forced to update in any way of course :)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not sure what the MD update was, I updated for the forums CSS overhaul, and once the app got stable again, disabled auto-updates. I got a new phone in November which downloaded the latest version, at which point I disabled auto-updates again. The app is really good as far as I'm concerned, no need to update it :)

I would probably update for a true OLED theme for my Moto X 2013, as hooah suggested. I'm sure all the Samsung owners would appreciate one, too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I've been having a problem with the app for the last several days where it will sometimes crash when I go back to bookmarks from reading a thread, and will always crash when I try to read a thread in QCS. Using 3.1.2b.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thanks.

Edit: I forget where it goes :(

anthonypants posted:

The "Dark" theme has nothing to do with YOSPOS.

Right, I just gave the YOSPOS themes as an example of "black" vs. "dark".

hooah fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 27, 2015

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hooah posted:

Thanks.

Edit: I forget where it goes :(

Make a folder titled awful (I think it needs to be lower case) and drop it in there.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Fantastic! Thank you again.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
Any way to set YOSPOS and only YOSPOS to the amber theme like you can on desktop? Can't find it anywhere :(

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hey, thanks for posting this theme! I'm definitely preferring the black.

Couple questions though, as I'm not a programmer or anything:
1. Is "section.postinfo" where I change the background color for the box containing poster's name, avatar, post date, etc.? I'd like to change it to the "Dark" theme's grey.
2. Does "article.op" change the color of all the op's posts in a thread, or is it used for literally just the original post? I'd like to change it to "Dark" theme's yellow.
3. Where do I change the background for posts I make? The green could use some brightening on my screen.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sorry, I'm trash at actually editing themes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe Sereri can help with that.

Speaking of which, using v3.1.2b, after I switched themes now every once in a while a page will load blank. Like, there will be bounding boxes where the posts are (and will even have the different coloring for op/personal posts) but they are completely empty. It can take one to three trys reloading the page to fix. And yes, I did try going back to the other theme and it didn't help.

I dunno if this has been fixed already in later betas, but it's a bug so I'm reporting it :/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I feel like there's a lot of talent in this thread and any one of those nerds could whip up six or seven really excellent themes in under an hour... Maybe that's not the exact right thread but someone in that subforum is probably a CSS genius.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Nokiaman posted:

Any way to set YOSPOS and only YOSPOS to the amber theme like you can on desktop? Can't find it anywhere :(

There isn't yet but it's probably like the next thing on my list.

site posted:

Hey, thanks for posting this theme! I'm definitely preferring the black.

Couple questions though, as I'm not a programmer or anything:
1. Is "section.postinfo" where I change the background color for the box containing poster's name, avatar, post date, etc.? I'd like to change it to the "Dark" theme's grey.
2. Does "article.op" change the color of all the op's posts in a thread, or is it used for literally just the original post? I'd like to change it to "Dark" theme's yellow.
3. Where do I change the background for posts I make? The green could use some brightening on my screen.
1. yes postinfo is the exactly that
2. OP being the poster in this case, it colors all the posts of the OP
3. You can color your own posts via "article.self"

site posted:

Maybe Sereri can help with that.

Speaking of which, using v3.1.2b, after I switched themes now every once in a while a page will load blank. Like, there will be bounding boxes where the posts are (and will even have the different coloring for op/personal posts) but they are completely empty. It can take one to three trys reloading the page to fix. And yes, I did try going back to the other theme and it didn't help.

I dunno if this has been fixed already in later betas, but it's a bug so I'm reporting it :/

I actually don't know if this is fixed, I don't remember coming across this. Please make a screenshot the next time you come across it.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I've been having an issue with 3.1.8 for a couple of days now. Whenever I try to open a thread that is only one page long, the app crashes on my One M8 running 5.0.1. Once the thread has at least 41 posts, it will open without issues. Can I give you any more info for debugging?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sereri posted:

1. yes postinfo is the exactly that
2. OP being the poster in this case, it colors all the posts of the OP
3. You can color your own posts via "article.self"

I actually don't know if this is fixed, I don't remember coming across this. Please make a screenshot the next time you come across it.

Cool, thanks for getting back on this. Would you mind giving me the values your grey, yellow, and green from those sections in the Dark.css? I think they're pretty perfect in terms of being just the right amount of brightness.

Alternatively, is there a way to look at the css file myself, and I can find them on my own? (e:nm found it on github, dunno if is current. We'll find out.)

E: and about the bug, yeah I'll do that, although it seems to have stopped now.

E2: figured it would just be easier to copy dark.css and modify the background color to black, which works for the actual posts, but it also ends up turning the swipe-in forums listing panels white. Still messing with it...

site fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 28, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay, I'm messing with the css and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but editing anything changes the background on the forums listings panels and the reply window to white. Which values am I looking for that will specifically change the background on both new and read posts to black?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

site posted:

Okay, I'm messing with the css and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but editing anything changes the background on the forums listings panels and the reply window to white. Which values am I looking for that will specifically change the background on both new and read posts to black?

Make sure your file name is XXX.dark.css in order to make it default to black backgrounds.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay, that renaming tweak fixed the white boxes problem. Thanks. Now I'm going through the color values to find the ones I want, progress...

site fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 29, 2015

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

I've been having a problem with the app for the last several days where it will sometimes crash when I go back to bookmarks from reading a thread, and will always crash when I try to read a thread in QCS. Using 3.1.2b.

Ive been having this same problem, also on 3.1.2b.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Sereri posted:

Glad to hear that :)
The green is just too bright for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nokiaman posted:

Glad to hear that :)
The green is just too bright for me.

It's the one thing I wish Something did. I can live without an emote list and the stupid link-to bug where it goes to the page and not the post but I really wish I could choose AmberPOS without it being forum-wide.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Anyone else getting randomly logged out a lot in the latest version? I can't reliably reproduce it but it's driving me crazy. What will happen is I get Loading Failed on all pages out of nowhere, then when I try to close and restart Awful it makes me log in again.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

CrashCat posted:

Anyone else getting randomly logged out a lot in the latest version? I can't reliably reproduce it but it's driving me crazy. What will happen is I get Loading Failed on all pages out of nowhere, then when I try to close and restart Awful it makes me log in again.

Yeah I've been getting those myself. For whatever reason Awful will sometimes send its requests without the login stuff. The forums will react with a "You are logged out" page and the app thinks "oh apparently we are logged out for some reason, better throw away the login cookies". And at that point you are irreversibly logged out anyway.
I'm not quite sure where it's coming from, possibly a newish bug in the networking library.

Clearing the app data helps for a bit but is not a long-term solution.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sorry about that accidental pull request, saying I have no idea what I'm doing with Git is an understatement

Finally got everything rebased and up to date though - this is looking real nice guys. Real nice!
(yeah I only just realised there was a current branch, I was still on the old version)

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I sent an app hang report on the Google play version a few weeks ago. I kept getting lag issues afterwards. It may be related to the updates to Android System WebView, as the lag hasn't returned since I uninstalled those updates this morning.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Digging the new icons. Since updating, post backgrounds are no longer solid black, even though my theme hasn't changed. Any ideas?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Is it practical at all to get a per-link-type handling of Open URL/Show Inline/Copy URL?

e: It seems like it might be a pretty base functionality to recognize market links, youtube links, etc, and direct you to the correct app, but I don't know if you can slot that in at all.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

XIII posted:

Digging the new icons. Since updating, post backgrounds are no longer solid black, even though my theme hasn't changed. Any ideas?

Glad you like them. Not sure about the background. Can you post a screenshot? Maybe the html was changed at some point and your css has not been updated to match it yet.

ArcMage posted:

Is it practical at all to get a per-link-type handling of Open URL/Show Inline/Copy URL?

e: It seems like it might be a pretty base functionality to recognize market links, youtube links, etc, and direct you to the correct app, but I don't know if you can slot that in at all.

Rewriting the link stuff is on my list. Do I understand it right and you want to like always open market links?

/edit just noticed I hosed up something in the sidebar. Gotta take a look at that later.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 7, 2015

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Welp, never mind. I just toggled to another theme and then back and my backgrounds are black again. Works for me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This is an exciting test post

And an exciting edit

! :wow:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 11, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
N/m, wrong thread.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Has anyone else been getting a lot of "Sorry, Awful has stopped" errors?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I got the first one in a while right after the recent webkit update.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

10 Beers posted:

I got "Awful has stopped responding", but I hit 'wait' and it came back fine. Then again this is a 2014 Moto X so it might be the same thing.

Sounds like something takes a lot longer than intended now.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

10 Beers posted:

Midjack posted:

I got the first one in a while right after the recent webkit update.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I got "Awful has stopped responding", but I hit 'wait' and it came back fine. Then again this is a 2014 Moto X so it might be the same thing.

Sounds like something takes a lot longer than intended now.

I'm guessing you're all on 3.1.2b? If it's the webview there's not much we can do.

:siren::frogsiren::siren:

Concerning the current beta: I'm still not entirely happy with the icon for changing the PM view to the "sent items" folder. At the moment it's just an arrow to the right but I'd like to find a better, more obvious icon. Google has a preview version with all icons here, though it's slightly outdated ( here is the current 50Mb zip file with an updated preview). I'd love your input.

And there's 2 more things:

After 3 and a half years with our trusty frog I feel it needs a update to a more material design version. I can't reach Spanky directly since he has disabled receiving PMs so I open this up to everyone. Please adhere to the MD Guidelines.

I also noticed we don't have a product video on the play store and I think we definitely need to fix that. Just a quick video that shows off the main functions would be great. If you manage to wrap it in a continuous story, even better. No :nws: should be obvious.

As for both, be aware that while you might put work into it, we could end up not picking your entry, maybe none at all. Be also aware that the only payment will be that your icon will be in the app / video will be in the play store listing.
Unless of course someone wants to add an incentive with some forum upgrades (feel free to do so).

:siren::frogsiren::siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Not that it should make much of a difference to the users in this thread but Something has been hurting for graphics assets for a while too. I can't check right at the moment but there's a list somewhere in the thread detailing just how many it needs.