Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
200+ still unaccounted for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
I wonder if the avalanche brought down any old bodies that were up there.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

ante posted:

Aren't there still a whole bunch of people unaccounted for? Or have they been found?

I don't know - there are some pretty randomish numbers floating around; immediately after the quake, they were suggesting there were ~200 above base camp, but it seemed like everyone that came back to C2 (and subsequently C1) did so successfully. There was a medivac from C1 yesterday, though I'm not sure how many were taken down. Weirdly the next suggestion was that there were ~100 people at C1 to be evac'd but then there were 80 being flown down this morning. I'm not sure anyone has any real idea where people are at this point.

There are some people who had been trekking in the area and/or had just left BC who have been out of contact since after the quake, and some weird reports of sherpas hearing voices of people trapped in the icefall [google translate kind of mangles this] so yeah, it seems probable the number is going to increase.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zeike posted:

This whole earthquake thing is just Everest brushing the crumbs off of her shirt.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't imagine the missing people being alive for the most part. I mean, if by this point you're not accounted for, that's probably because you got crushed under 20 feet of snow. Its a grim though but I really don't see how it could turn out better.

Maybe the missing toll includes all the people that fled off the mountain at the first chance?

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Blitter posted:

and some weird reports of sherpas hearing voices of people trapped in the icefall [google translate kind of mangles this] so yeah, it seems probable the number is going to increase.

maybe they mean like... ghosts

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Internet Kraken posted:

I can't imagine the missing people being alive for the most part. I mean, if by this point you're not accounted for, that's probably because you got crushed under 20 feet of snow. Its a grim though but I really don't see how it could turn out better.

Maybe the missing toll includes all the people that fled off the mountain at the first chance?

Or they peaced out to their home land and because the trekking company tents are in tatters, they're not keeping a great tally on things.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Zeike posted:

I don't expect there were any bodies up on Pumori, which is where the big avalanche came from, as it's kind of behind the basecamp with the khumbu icefall on the opposite side.

I'm sure there are lots of bodies in the icefall but I imagine they'd be some unrecognizable freeze-dried paste by now.

Feminition posted:

maybe they mean like... ghosts

Stay safe crevasse ghost?

Seriously tho, either a) quietly moaning, broken and dying in a crevasse or b) hearing people quietly moaning, broken and dying in a crevasse would be loving horrible.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
GDI, how are hypoxic tourists going to suplex sherpas off the Kangshung face now?

*tears up betting slip*

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm seeing reports that there were about 100 people at camps 1 and 2, and all are alive but the route down was completely destroyed. Base camp is still being dug out.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Some photos from base camp. The first one of the avalanche is :stare:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/26/mount-everest-avalanche-photos_n_7146596.html

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
thousands of locals are dead or missing but I'm only seeking out stories about the tourists.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Fansy posted:

thousands of locals are dead or missing but I'm only seeking out stories about the tourists.

Did you read the thread title at all?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fansy posted:

"Why are you guys talking about Everest in the Everest thread???" :downswords:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fansy posted:

Try one of the threads about the Nepal earthquake instead of the thread about Everest.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Try one of the threads about the Nepal earthquake instead of the thread about Everest.

Why? I'm only seeking out stories about the tourists.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

oh my goodness. I cant imagine how he felt while he was capturing that moment, instead of like trying to run or sheltering or something :(

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Necros posted:

im sure all the people who are regulars itt already know, but this guy owns and pretty much runs up mountains that kill nearly half the people who make it to the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gVkWlr_Yog

It would've been kinda awesome if Ueli had been on Everest this year instead of last because he would've done some sick 360 noscope summit already and then come back down with supplies from china. Ueli is my hero.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

It's not like this disaster doesn't tie into the Nepali suffering in their life, their economy, and their heritage. And sacred mountains.

Indian rescue effort reports are amazing though, meanwhile America couldn't mobilize half as fast for NOLA.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
You are only allowed to be concerned for Nepal or everest and not both. Sorry.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Urban camo seems like a bad choice for mountaineering/rescue team uniforms.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

tentative8e8op posted:

oh my goodness. I cant imagine how he felt while he was capturing that moment, instead of like trying to run or sheltering or something :(

where the gently caress do you run or take shelter from a giant wall of snow when you're on a barren mountain

gently caress it if i saw something like that coming i'd assume i was dead and keep recording because poo poo man, why the gently caress shouldn't i

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Cubey posted:

where the gently caress do you run or take shelter from a giant wall of snow when you're on a barren mountain

I would think "nearest tent" myself, so that you at least have some protection from being covered in ice shards.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ursine Asylum posted:

I would think "nearest tent" myself, so that you at least have some protection from being covered in ice shards.

rofl you have never been in a tent in your entire life if you think one would do a goddamn loving thing about ice shards. i mean poo poo did you not see the pictures of the place afterwards where 90% of the tents were knocked the hell over or what.

yeah let's take refuge in a tent and suffocate in there instead.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Urban camo seems like a bad choice for mountaineering/rescue team uniforms.

yeah, they should've used their non-camouflaged arctic military equipment

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
getting into a tent against an avalanche like that is about as practical as duck and cover

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The-Mole posted:

getting into a tent against an avalanche like that is about as practical as duck and cover

i mean you can't blame people for not knowing how flimsy tents are when you can prolly count the number of them in this thread who have ever been in one on one hand, to be fair

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

The-Mole posted:

probably but if presented the choice between "jump into a blender" or "jump into a bag full of potentially useful supplies and then throw yourself and the bag into the blender" i'd still probably pick the latter one

i mean even with duck and cover i'd probably choose 'under the desk' to 'watch the wrath of god coming down a mountain at me and catch it directly in the face'

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

If Into Thin Air taught me anything, that Sherpa tea is like a health potion. Just drink some of it or pour it over the horrible wounds you just incurred, it's better than tuss.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dying in a tent after an avalanche sounds worse idk

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ursine Asylum posted:

probably but if presented the choice between "jump into a blender" or "jump into a bag full of potentially useful supplies and then throw yourself and the bag into the blender" i'd still probably pick the latter one

i mean even with duck and cover i'd probably choose 'under the desk' to 'watch the wrath of god coming down a mountain at me and catch it directly in the face'

The "bag" is going to collapse under all that snow, it's not going to make a difference.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

monster on a stick posted:

The "bag" is going to collapse under all that snow, it's not going to make a difference.

if anything it'd make it worse, as if you get buried by snow you might be able to dig yourself out if it isn't thickly packed but if you get buried in snow inside a tent you'll suffocate really goddamn fast.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Cubey posted:

if anything it'd make it worse, as if you get buried by snow you might be able to dig yourself out if it isn't thickly packed but if you get buried in snow inside a tent you'll suffocate really goddamn fast.

Much like the Duck and Cover policy of climbing into a paper bag it will make your mangled body easier to transport though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Cubey posted:

True, I've been in tents in foul weather and it's not that much better than being outside.

But you know, avalanche, people should just run from the hundreds of tons of snow coming for you at 60 miles per hour. Or maybe jump on top of the snow and ride it down the mountain.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

The-Mole posted:

why do people use duck and cover as an example of futility

like, most of the deaths and injuries in a nuclear blast would have been from flying glass & building collapse, duck & cover was solid doctrine and it absolutely would have saved lives and prevented lots of injuries

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

monster on a stick posted:

True, I've been in tents in foul weather and it's not that much better than being outside.

Get a better tent. I did a decent amount of camping (including some that wasn't "put a tent up 20 feet away from your parked car") while I was a teenager and spent the night in a tent in some nasty weather far away from civilization. Yeah, it's not the most pleasant experience but I stayed warm and dry.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Cubey posted:

gently caress it if i saw something like that coming i'd assume i was dead and keep recording because poo poo man, why the gently caress shouldn't i

Thats kinda what i meant though. Like, he saw such an avalanche barreling right at him and he somehow had a presence of mind to capture what he probably felt would be one of his last living moments with a camera. All his emotions, while he was knowing and kinda accepting he's about to die enough to take a picture instead of wasting all his time running, and afterwards when he lived, have had to of been indescribable. :(

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Mountain god farts on tourists

The release of this air and pressure was similar to a whoopee cushion or balloon. The air blast was concentrated towards the tents in the central portion of Everest Basecamp. Hurricane force wind from the blast completely pulverized and blew the camp away. Some Duffels from Expedition members were tossed for more than a football field’s length. Expedition boots, dining tent frames, and ice axes were tossed far across the glacier too. Right now 20-plus people are injured and the death toll is 8-20 people, but that may increase. Many of the injuries were similar to ones you might see in the Midwest when a tornado hits, with contusions and lacerations from flying debris. Head Injuries, broken legs, internal injuries, impalements also happened to people. Some people were picked up and tossed across the glacier for a hundred yards. People that took refuge in tents turned out to be the unlucky ones…..only a few feet away if a person hid behind a rock or a ice bank they escaped unharmed. People in tents were wrapped up in them, lifted by the force of the blast and then slammed down onto rocks, glacial moraine and ice on the glacier. Such an unbelievable force of wind and compressed air from the falling ice seracs and snow, it’s very hard to wrap my head around it.

http://www.jonkeverest.org/blog/2015/04/26/Everest-Earthquake-Avalanche-Aftermath-Photos.aspx

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

keevo posted:

Don't think this video has been posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JC_wIWUC2U

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Cubey posted:

Not any faster than being buried in equivalent snow while not in a tent. Suffocation from snow on tents is usually a result of people being asleep when it happens, and thus not awake to realize their tent has become a tomb. If anything the structure of a 4-season tent would make it easier to create an air pocket. Anyone even slightly competent in hiking/backpacking carries a knife so getting out of the tent should not be a major problem. Therefore, most of the people at EBC would've been totally screwed.

Geoj posted:

Get a better tent. I did a decent amount of camping (including some that wasn't "put a tent up 20 feet away from your parked car") while I was a teenager and spent the night in a tent in some nasty weather far away from civilization. Yeah, it's not the most pleasant experience but I stayed warm and dry.

Yep, and learn where to pitch it. Hiking in Patagonia we were making jokes about some inexperienced dudes pitching their tent in a nice cozy depression between some trees, with their fly guyed to a single branch because they didn't quite get how to use guy-lines. We got a torrential downpour that night and they had 3 standing inches of water inside their tent in the morning.

old-timey newspaper gal fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 27, 2015

• Locked thread