Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

He's thinking about bees again.

Well, beads are a staple of certain parts of the PNW economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

RuanGacho posted:

Well it IS nPR.

Which I've come to realize generally has the same level of journalistic integrity as a local community facebook page.
They definitely embraced their Bush2 era cowardice and now pretend its a virtue.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Nuclear power is the way to go, actually

True, but its political suicide.
Geothermal doesn't pollute on any significant level, it doesn't scare half the nation, and it doesn't gently caress up the rivers. Gotta get the power somewhere.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tell that to Hanford.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

effectual posted:

Tell that to Hanford.

Haha yeah...

:catstare:'s at federal government "What the gently caress dudes, you want to build Yuka Mountain but you can't even finish your god drat peas"

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

effectual posted:

Tell that to Hanford.

Hanford was a sloppy military run operation to make nuclear fuel, and resembles a modern-day reactor about as much as a Model-T does a Tesla.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mrit posted:

Hanford was a sloppy military run operation to make nuclear fuel, and resembles a modern-day reactor about as much as a Model-T does a Tesla.

I admit that, but all I'm saying is that I take the approach of "if it can break, it will". Especially with corporations that love to cut corners.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

effectual posted:

I admit that, but all I'm saying is that I take the approach of "if it can break, it will". Especially with corporations that love to cut corners.

Which is why modern pebble bed and similar reactors fail in a manner that can't cause a Chernobyl, Fukushima, etc.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
look i just don't think nuclear power plants are very buzz worthy

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Besides, if nuclear replaced coal outright, we could have a worst-case meltdown every year and still come out ahead. Coal plants and coal mining is stupendously harmful to the environment and kills thousands of Americans every year. Coal made me pro-nuclear.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

effectual posted:

Tell that to Hanford.
Thank you for reminding the thread that we definitely haven't learned anything about nuclear reactors in 70 years, and therefore all nuclear reactors are bad. Congratulations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ernie Muppari posted:

look i just don't think nuclear power plants are very buzz worthy

I don't think we'd make a huge mistake in building more.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

anthonypants posted:

Thank you for reminding the thread that we definitely haven't learned anything about nuclear reactors in 70 years, and therefore all nuclear reactors are bad. Congratulations.

Accretionist posted:

Besides, if nuclear replaced coal outright, we could have a worst-case meltdown every year and still come out ahead. Coal plants and coal mining is stupendously harmful to the environment and kills thousands of Americans every year. Coal made me pro-nuclear.

I'm 120% about preserving our environment, so this stuff.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Speaking of pollution and coal, why aren't there more protests blocking the dozens of coal and oil trains that pass through Seattle every day? Those seem way more dangerous than letting an oil platform moor up nearby.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

oxbrain posted:

Speaking of pollution and coal, why aren't there more protests blocking the dozens of coal and oil trains that pass through Seattle every day? Those seem way more dangerous than letting an oil platform moor up nearby.

I was under the impression that there ARE frequent protests of those trains.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Accretionist posted:

The problem is processing fluency. Our species, almost instinctually understands burning, fire, smoke and smog and so it's much less scary than ionizing radiation which as a species we really have no history with.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bartkusa posted:

I was under the impression that there ARE frequent protests of those trains.
I know there are people petitioning/protesting the gently caress out of the Oregon government not to allow coal shipping docks along our coast.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

anthonypants posted:

I know there are people petitioning/protesting the gently caress out of the Oregon government not to allow coal shipping docks along our coast.

Yeah Oregon is making a genuine effort to stop those trains, so basically it is already being done just at the state level. Coal trains also aren't popular with Oregon environmentalists either.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Hasters posted:

The problem is processing fluency. Our species, almost instinctually understands burning, fire, smoke and smog and so it's much less scary than ionizing radiation which as a species we really have no history with.

That's definitely part of it. Radiation was the magic used to handwave things in sci-fi for years (We use nanomachines and genetic engineering for that now). It also being tied to the ever present threat of nuclear war also didn't help.

We're just beginning to shake off a lot of the cold war cobwebs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

foobardog posted:

That's definitely part of it. Radiation was the magic used to handwave things in sci-fi for years (We use nanomachines and genetic engineering for that now). It also being tied to the ever present threat of nuclear war also didn't help.

We're just beginning to shake off a lot of the cold war cobwebs.

Yet places like Germany are just doubling-down on the pseudoscience when it comes to their energy policies :(

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Baronjutter posted:

Yet places like Germany are just doubling-down on the pseudoscience when it comes to their energy policies :(

Well, we aren't exactly above doubling down on pseudoscience either.
*Posts anti-vaxxers, climate change deniers, and anti-flouride types*

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

effectual posted:

Tell that to Hanford.

The PR problem with building a new plant in that neighborhood isn't waste or whatever, it's the fact that people haven't forgotten the financial mess that was WPPSS.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
The WPPSS fiasco was 30 years ago. The only people who remember it are people who stumbled onto it on google or read about it on some pro/anti-nuke or anti-government website.

I only heard about it because I was trying to figure out how big of a financial disaster it will be to write off bertha.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

oxbrain posted:

The WPPSS fiasco was 30 years ago. The only people who remember it are people who stumbled onto it on google or read about it on some pro/anti-nuke or anti-government website.

I only heard about it because I was trying to figure out how big of a financial disaster it will be to write off bertha.

Homework: attempt to propose a new nuclear power plant in the northwest. See how long it takes for WPPSS to come up.

Boomers & older who are from the northwest will bring it up.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
I know theres some deranged flouride hobbyists in this thread.

Thought you would want to start writing letters immediately.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/04/27/402579949/feds-say-its-time-to-cut-back-on-fluoride-in-drinking-water

quote:

Federal health officials Monday changed the recommended amount of fluoride in drinking water for the first time since 1962, cutting by almost half the maximum amount of fluoride that should be added to drinking supplies.

The Department of Health and Human Services recommended 0.7 milligrams of fluoride per liter of water instead of the long-standing range of 0.7 to 1.2 milligrams.

"The change is recommended because now Americans have access to more sources of fluoride, such as toothpaste and mouth rinses, than they did when fluoridation was first introduced in the United States," Dr. Boris Lushniak, the deputy surgeon general, told reporters during a conference call.

As a result, many Americans are getting too much fluoride, which is causing a big increase in a condition known as fluorosis that causes very faint white marks on people's teeth.

"The new recommended level will maintain the protective decay prevention benefits of water fluoridation and reduce the occurrence of dental fluorosis," Lushniak says.

But opponents of fluoridation and even some scientists maintain the new standard doesn't go nearly far enough. They say there's evidence that overexposure to fluoride might increase the risk for other health issues, including possibly thyroid problems, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and even lower IQs.

"Due to the importance of having the best possible brains in the future, I think that that would suggest that we be careful about the amount of fluoride that we deliver to the population in drinking water," says Dr. Philippe Grandjean * at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Grandjean_%28professor%29

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Someone somewhere in the US needs to push for more, bigger, faster work on LFTRs. Unfortunately that would mean prying control of nuclear development away from the DoE, DoD, and their private contractor buddies.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

FRINGE posted:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/04/27/402579949/feds-say-its-time-to-cut-back-on-fluoride-in-drinking-water

Dude, really? There's absolutely nothing wrong with policies changing with different evidence. This doesn't excuse your shitshow a while back where you gish galloped a bunch of scientific research only to get it thrown back in your face.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

Lol
FRINGE, you should make an anti-flouride thread, to educate the foolish flouride drinking masses.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

Dude, really? There's absolutely nothing wrong with policies changing with different evidence. This doesn't excuse your shitshow a while back where you gish galloped a bunch of scientific research only to get it thrown back in your face.

I always grin a little at the phrase "Gish Gallop."

edit to fix phone-posting autocorrect

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 28, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
I brush my teeth with fluoride-containing substances daily. I think its funny how a couple of you come unglued when people discuss the fact that drinking it has never been a great move.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I think you care entirely too much about fluoride.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

I brush my teeth with fluoride-containing substances daily. I think its funny how a couple of you come unglued when people discuss the fact that drinking it has never been a great move.

I see, I see.
And what do you think of 9/11? Jews, or Bush?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

FRINGE posted:

Look, I don't want to stay up late debunking your bullshit like last time, so why don't you reread that article you posted again. Think about why they're suggesting that the average maximum dosage be reduced rather than eliminated from the water supply, and what that says about your woefully unsupported hypothesis.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

oxbrain posted:

I hope not. We don't need any more burnt out, former idealist, space nerds around here.

e: Nationalize(stateize?) local 787 production. We could call it the GreenLiner.

I thought 787 was just assembled in Washington and all the parts came from everywhere else. I don't think taking over the assembly plant would really accomplish a whole lot.

one word: TROJAN

like yeah i'm generally in agreement with "more nukes" but it will forever be absolute poison in oregon, unfortunately

effectual posted:

same can be said for literally any industrial activity.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

one word: TROJAN

like yeah i'm generally in agreement with "more nukes" but it will forever be absolute poison in oregon, unfortunately

Yeah, I have to admit that it came to my mind when nukes were discussed, too. I'm fairly pro-nuclear (I really like the idea of multiple small reactors to power a set of smaller grids rather than maintaining a huge, monolithic, and ever more antiquated megagrid), but fear that memories of Trojan still poison the the well here, so to speak. I vaguely remember when they shut it down - not sure I ever passed it by in person.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Mrit posted:

I see, I see.
And what do you think of 9/11? Jews, or Bush?
Ah it was you. You always think flouride has something to do with Jews and 9/11.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

but still, where did the jet fuel come from?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Ernie Muppari posted:

but still, where did the jet fuel come from?
The lizard peoples compost* exploded. The whole thing was an environmental crisis coverup.

*They compost flouride. Because of Bush.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

FRINGE posted:

The lizard peoples compost* exploded. The whole thing was an environmental crisis coverup.

*They compost flouride. Because of Bush.

i've made a huge mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Solkanar512 posted:

Look, I don't want to stay up late debunking your bullshit like last time, so why don't you reread that article you posted again. Think about why they're suggesting that the average maximum dosage be reduced rather than eliminated from the water supply, and what that says about your woefully unsupported hypothesis.

drat, some mighty fine posting going on in here. Seriously, good info.

• Locked thread