Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah but ~purity~
The GOP is all about ~purity~

The GOP crying about ~purity~ is why the roads of this nation are crumbling because the use of TAXES to fund anything at all is verboten.

The GOP crying about ~purity~ is why the SCOTUS decided that religious belief is more important than scientific fact*.

The GOP crying about ~purity~ is why the upcoming primary will be glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

KiteAuraan posted:

Is Hillary using any Clinton Foundation funds for her campaign at all? Most sources flipping about her taking foreign money seem to have been pretty mum on that, so I can't help but think the answer is no.

That's not how things work. What you do is, you take contributions on the NGO side in exchange for some contract favors, and in return, when you go for higher office, you get your cut to repay the debt.

Ain't nothing formalized, ain't nothing in writing, because if you can't trust someone to follow through after you've delivered, they're politically dead so long as you live.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's not how things work. What you do is, you take contributions on the NGO side in exchange for some contract favors, and in return, when you go for higher office, you get your cut to repay the debt.

Ain't nothing formalized, ain't nothing in writing, because if you can't trust someone to follow through after you've delivered, they're politically dead so long as you live.
Its almost like no one has watched House of Cards

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CannonFodder posted:

The GOP is all about ~purity~

The GOP crying about ~purity~ is why the roads of this nation are crumbling because the use of TAXES to fund anything at all is verboten.

The GOP crying about ~purity~ is why the SCOTUS decided that religious belief is more important than scientific fact*.

The GOP crying about ~purity~ is why the upcoming primary will be glorious.

:thejoke:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, “In order to be an effective president ... when you say something you have to mean it. You gotta kill em.” ~ George W. Bush

Typical shrub.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nonsense posted:

Typical shrub.

Obama is a more effective Pres by killing Usama Bin Laden then Bush doesn't care.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

PerpetualSelf posted:

Here's a simple explanation. Why would you not accept funds from a slave state to use at an agency that promotes freedom world wide including anti-slavery.

This whole concept that you can't take blood money from people is stupid. Give me your god damned blood money. I'll use it to stop the bleeding any day of the week.

I'm not saying the scandal isn't fake, but the logic here isn't that you've taken blood money (where you can still make a case against it, though it's certainly not impenetrable), the logic here is that you're exchanging something for the blood money which, if true, would be a significantly worse thing to do.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dancer posted:

I'm not saying the scandal isn't fake, but the logic here isn't that you've taken blood money (where you can still make a case against it, though it's certainly not impenetrable), the logic here is that you're exchanging something for the blood money which, if true, would be a significantly worse thing to do.

Yeah but why would Hillary do that.

She can raise more legitimately from Wall Street criminals and doing them favors isn't even a felony (thanks, Supreme Court)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

MC Nietzche posted:

If there's no fire then where is all this smoke coming from. You got an answer for that smart guy?

haha yeah it was the smoke machines at the RNC headquarters

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

icantfindaname posted:

haha yeah it was the smoke machines at the RNC headquarters

Oh I see, it's just a vast right-wing "conspiracy." Better wrap it up Hillailures.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Going after the Clinton foundation will just give Bill a good excuse to go talking about it and remind people what it does. I'm pretty sure this is not a good idea if you want to make the Clintons look bad.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

MC Nietzche posted:

Oh I see, it's just a vast right-wing "conspiracy." Better wrap it up Hillailures.

It's not a vast right-wing "conspiracy," just a symptom of the fact that the right wing has been completely consumed by paranoid fantasies and general insane irrationality that requires everyone who opposes their smash-and-grab scheme to be a monster bent on the destruction of all that is good, children writhing on a pike, spitting at God, etc.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

JonathonSpectre posted:

It's not a vast right-wing "conspiracy," just a symptom of the fact that the right wing has been completely consumed by paranoid fantasies and general insane irrationality that requires everyone who opposes their smash-and-grab scheme to be a monster bent on the destruction of all that is good, children writhing on a pike, spitting at God, etc.

As tempting as it is to continue the joke I have no desire to play Amergin in this thread so :thejoke:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Hey, I heard you all wanted to explode with anger this morning, so here you go;

Ferguson's Fortune 500 Company

Summary: Why the Missouri city—despite hosting a multinational corporation—relied on municipal fees and fines to extract revenue from its poorest residents

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "I do think that there is a valuable use for drones and as much as I’m seen as an opponent of drones, in military and warfare, they do have some value. I think this is a difficult situation. You have hostages being held; some of them are American. You have people holding hostages; some of them are American. I’ve been an opponent of using drones about people not in combat. However if you are holding hostages, you kind of are involved in combat. So I look at it the way it is in the United States. If there's a kidnapping in New York, the police don't have to have a warrant to go in." ~ Rand Paul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Y5aua-3Eo

So, to clarify: using drones to kill foreigners abroad is OK, using drones to kill US citizens abroad is OK if they're engaged in combat and holding hostages counts as combat, using drones inside the US to kill liquor store robbers is OK, but using drones to see what type of mail you're receiving is right out! That's where Rand Paul draws the line.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Joementum posted:

So, to clarify: using drones to kill foreigners abroad is OK, using drones to kill US citizens abroad is OK if they're engaged in combat and holding hostages counts as combat, using drones inside the US to kill liquor store robbers is OK, but using drones to see what type of mail you're receiving is right out! That's where Rand Paul draws the line.

Here's the Rand Paulemon Test for drones: "Does the use of a drone possibly affect Rand Paul, or Rand Paul's money?"

EDIT: The picture Youtube used as the poster for that video before it plays describes Rand as "Presidential Candi" :ducksiren:

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey, I heard you all wanted to explode with anger this morning, so here you go;

Ferguson's Fortune 500 Company

Summary: Why the Missouri city—despite hosting a multinational corporation—relied on municipal fees and fines to extract revenue from its poorest residents

Holy poo poo the author of that article is my old US History Professor. His book Soul by Soul is loving fantastic if you're interested in the slave trade.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

You can disagree all you like, but you're wrong. The "team of rivals" meme from 2008 was explicitly about (and disseminated by) the Obama transition team to highlight his willingness to work across ideological boundaries, chiefly his (poor, as it turned out) decision to retain Robert Gates.

I guess I didn't make my point clear as I could have. Perhaps an example would help clarify. Terry McAuliffe is in South Carolina today acting as a surrogate for Hillary's campaign. If we have to put up with the Macker as a Governor to keep an insane Bible banger out of power, fine, I suppose. But I'd prefer not to see people like him get positions in the next administration when there are many more qualified, if less connected, individuals. He has plenty of company in the Clinton world and my main concern with her prospective administration is their promotion.

Ok, someone you don't like is offering her substantial aid and you are worried they will be elevated to somewhere they can do damage.

My claim is that she is savvy enough at this point to know what sinecures are for.

How do we test these competing claims?

Well, she spent a fair amount of time as Secretary of State during which she got to make direct appointments. If she hasn't learned to shuffle off loyal idiots who earned a treat into sinecures while ensuring that real jobs go to the competent ... Well that would be an ample opportunity to display it.

Do you have any examples of this from her tenure at State?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Ron Paul kill you are son

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Always Sunny is Seinfeld with more slapstick.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "I do think that there is a valuable use for drones and as much as I’m seen as an opponent of drones, in military and warfare, they do have some value. I think this is a difficult situation. You have hostages being held; some of them are American. You have people holding hostages; some of them are American. I’ve been an opponent of using drones about people not in combat. However if you are holding hostages, you kind of are involved in combat. So I look at it the way it is in the United States. If there's a kidnapping in New York, the police don't have to have a warrant to go in." ~ Rand Paul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Y5aua-3Eo

does anyone seriously consider Rand Paul a Libertarian anymore?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

JonathonSpectre posted:

The right wing didn't decide to laughably position Hillary as some sort of folksy "people's champion". Hillary did that. The right wing did not decide to delete a bunch of (best case exculpatory) emails that undoubtedly touch on this very topic. Hillary did that. The right wing did not fudge the foreign donation numbers from her organization for years either.

It's probably true that each item that has been or will be brought up over the course of the campaign has a potentially innocent or coincidental explanation. Actually believing that all of them are collectively innocuous is the left-wing version of climate change denial. She plays by a different set of rules than everyone else.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gravel Gravy posted:

Always Sunny is Seinfeld with more slapstick.

Never before have I seen that show so completely encapsulated in a single sentence.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The whole Clinton Foundation thing isn't about anything illegal happening. There is about a 99% chance that nothing did. It's about feeding into the narrative that the Clintons are power/money hungry and shifty.

The important aspect of the story is "FOREIGN MONEY? Is this legal? -> Even if it is legal this seems shifty -> The Clintons are shifty -> I trust them less -> I don't want shifty people or people I don't trust in positions of power."

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

does anyone seriously consider Rand Paul a Libertarian anymore?

Dan Carlin does, he usually trots out Rand as an example of non-crazy person on the right and for his principled stance on things, drones in particular. Guess that one's going to get dropped soon.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The whole Clinton Foundation thing isn't about anything illegal happening. There is about a 99% chance that nothing did. It's about feeding into the narrative that the Clintons are power/money hungry and shifty.

The important aspect of the story is "FOREIGN MONEY? Is this legal? -> Even if it is legal this seems shifty -> The Clintons are shifty -> I trust them less -> I don't want shifty people or people I don't trust in positions of power."

If you make contributions without getting something, you're very bad at making contributions.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So would people consider a Google executive donating to the Gates foundation evidence of illegal collusion between the two companies?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

So would people consider a Google executive donating to the Gates foundation evidence of illegal collusion between the two companies?

Is it a Google executive in Berlin donating to the Gates Foundation in exchange for a few tens of millions in contracts from State for their Berlin jobtraining outreach programs?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

people, and especially so conservative-minded ones, are going to fall into the ~foreign~ aspect of the money

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Questions like this are probably why the Gates foundation tells people to donate directly to the organizations they help, instead.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Funny how people are getting caught up with the "foreign" angle when conservatives fall all over themselves to suck Saudi dick in exchange for a penny on gas prices.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Is it a Google executive in Berlin donating to the Gates Foundation in exchange for a few tens of millions in contracts from State for their Berlin jobtraining outreach programs?

Nope

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

Funny how people are getting caught up with the "foreign" angle when conservatives fall all over themselves to suck Saudi dick in exchange for a penny on gas prices.
I can't figure out what Tea Party types/Christian conservatives think of them. Are they ok with them being literal Islamic extremists who just happen to be our allies, as long as they are good for business?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Radbot posted:

By "people" you actually mean "the US Tax Code" which is admittedly super xenophobic and probably racist.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't figure out what Tea Party types/Christian conservatives think of them. Are they ok with them being literal Islamic extremists who just happen to be our allies, as long as they are good for business?

In my experience they don't think too hard about it / feel Saudi Arabia is a necessary evil that we can dump as soon as we set up enough petroleum extraction in our own country and maybe our less terrible vassals.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TheDisreputableDog posted:

By "people" you actually mean "the US Tax Code" which is admittedly super xenophobic and probably racist.

By people he probably mean Republican politicians with a name that rhymes with "Push".

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Samurai Sanders posted:

If it's the Republicans working with them, they are the enemy of our enemy and a sad but necessary ally. If it's Democrats, then they are just enemies that haven't backstabbed us yet.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Joementum posted:

Rep. Betty McCollum (D-MN) has won the 5th Annual Minnesota Delegation Hotdish Competition with her Turkey, Sweet Potato and Wild Rice Hotdish. :toot:

The recipes of all the entries may be found on Senator Franken's site.

Trip report: not bad; needs hot sauce

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sort of how a lot of the anti-corporate/anti-Wall Street narrative is not so much about companies doing anything illegal, but rather corporations just being irresponsible and/or not caring about consumers and consumers' wants.

Or the anti-cop narrative is not so much about cops doing anything illegal, but whether cops are racist when they handle minority issues.

But liberals trip over themselves to bypass legality and criticize based off feelings/morality in these two cases. Same with the glass ceiling, same with gay marriage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Amergin posted:

Or the anti-cop narrative is not so much about cops doing anything illegal, but whether cops are racist when they handle minority issues.

Traditionally and formally speaking, murder and manslaughter are both illegal.

• Locked thread