Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Just picked up Curtain Call today...I know I'm a bit late on it but I'm just glad to finally get it. It's pretty awesome but I can't help but be disappointed that we're almost certainly never getting Krile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I hope there are more Final Fantasy IX characters in KH3.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So with Fallout 3 and New Vegas done I need something to do while I wait for my Xbox 360 and games to get here.

I thought about replaying FFVIII but then decided that self-induced torture was not the correct way to deal with boredom.

Then I remembered I have the Final Fantasy IV DS Version that I guess can't be called the DS Version anymore because I bought it off Steam. I got it way back when it first was available yet for some reason I never got around to playing it.

I loved FFIV Advance but I hear this is pretty much a completely different game compared to any other version of FFIV. Any gameplay advice or tips?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So with Fallout 3 and New Vegas done I need something to do while I wait for my Xbox 360 and games to get here.

I thought about replaying FFVIII but then decided that self-induced torture was not the correct way to deal with boredom.

Then I remembered I have the Final Fantasy IV DS Version that I guess can't be called the DS Version anymore because I bought it off Steam. I got it way back when it first was available yet for some reason I never got around to playing it.

I loved FFIV Advance but I hear this is pretty much a completely different game compared to any other version of FFIV. Any gameplay advice or tips?

Don't be afraid to hand out lovely augments to characters who are going to leave the party to get better augments. For more info on this, don't be afraid to FAQ stuff for this game because gently caress FFIV has a serious aversion to actually explaining how poo poo works.

Once you get to the Magnetic Cave, start treating every random encounter like it's a game over waiting to happen. Do not be stingy, do not be conservative- use spells, use items, do not be afraid to run back to save points to use tents and poo poo. Murder the hell out of anything that lives and breathes and isn't standing on your side of the field as fast as humanly possible, or prepare to be punished severely. The Tower of Zot in particular is the game entering rear end in a top hat mode and it never leaves it. Never.

gently caress Flamehounds. The run option exists for a reason.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

NikkolasKing posted:

You know FFIV, so you know that not everyone who joins you does so permanently; with that in mind, don't be afraid to give augments you don't plan on using to temporary party members. Many of them give you some of their inherent abilities when they leave, but the number they give you is based on how many you give them. I think Palom and Porom need 3 between the two of them, which gets you Bluff, Cry, Dualcast and Twincast. The other characters generally need 2. Also, Namingway's name change function was removed, and he is instead the focus of a quest line that extends through the entire game. Most of his quests are relatively simple, but one in particular is exceedingly frustrating: he wants an item called Rainbow Pudding, an incredibly rare drop that only appears in a few places in the game. Most people suggest setting up your characters for auto-battle to kill the group of 5 Flans who appear when you use an Alarm in a specific room of the Antlion's Den.

Or you could just forget all that garbage and play the game and just have fun. I'd still suggest unloading useless Augments on temporary party members to get theirs, since the tradeoff always lands you with one more augment than you had to start.

Oh, also, don't expect the game to go easy on you. My first playthrough of this game was also the first time I ever lost the fight against the MIst Dragon.

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Don't tease the octopus kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

Beware of the giant sandworms outside of Kaipo. Those fuckers are waaaaay worse than they used to be.

Level grind a bit more frequently than normal. Carry extra healing items. Status effects are far more devastating in this game.

Edward's bard songs are surprisingly helpful sometimes. Cecil's dark attacks are surprisingly useless all the time.

Save at least twice as frequently as you normally would. Game overs can happen far more frequently than usual. Gold is hard as poo poo to come by so covet every bit you get.

FAQ how to do augments where to find them, and how to use them.

Otherwise, have fun. It's like FF4 on "go gently caress yourself" mode. The challenge is exquisite and fun!

Lastly, the game is much slower than prior iterations. Set the battle speed to its highest setting to offset the slowness unless you're having trouble, then slow it down so you have a moment to plan and think.

Tellah is god whenever you get him. He always seemed like a good character but his magic skills are essential to survival every time you get him in this game. I think it really helps his character be more important.

Most of the hidden items and hidden paths are in the same spots even if the new graphics look goofy, they're still there.

AbsolutZeroGI fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 27, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In terms of story I like the thought bubbles when you open the menu. It's a neat way to convey changing characterization.

So was Advance the only version of FFIV where you can choose your final party? Because I gotta tell you, I only wanted Cecil and Rydia out of the "final five." I was shocked and horrified to learn in the original version you would be stuck with Edge and Rosa.

Guess I'm gonna be stuck with them in this version though.... Rosa I disliked on the principle of hating her character. Edge I disliked because I never use Throw in any game ever.

I'm at Damcyan and things are going okay. Obviously I have a lot of game to go and lots of room to get royally hosed up.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

NikkolasKing posted:

In terms of story I like the thought bubbles when you open the menu. It's a neat way to convey changing characterization.

So was Advance the only version of FFIV where you can choose your final party? Because I gotta tell you, I only wanted Cecil and Rydia out of the "final five." I was shocked and horrified to learn in the original version you would be stuck with Edge and Rosa.

Guess I'm gonna be stuck with them in this version though.... Rosa I disliked on the principle of hating her character. Edge I disliked because I never use Throw in any game ever.

I'm at Damcyan and things are going okay. Obviously I have a lot of game to go and lots of room to get royally hosed up.

Advance and Complete Collection for PSP allow you to change your party for the final stretch. There's even bonus dungeons that require you to take the character through the final boss to access them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

Make sure you change your party leader each time they change so you can read everyone's thoughts.

And yeah, you can't change your party at the end of 4DS or its ports.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah I've been making sure to scroll through the leaders to see everyone's thoughts.

Just had Leviathan attack and get Cecil separated from everyone. Gonna stop there for now. I think I've made decent progress.

I have 10,000 Gil. Best place for money seems to be in chests or from bosses. Normal enemies don't give you jack.

Golbez's voice is okay... The reverb is cool I guess. First voice I ever heard from Golbez was in the first Dissidia though and I liked that one. It was appropriately deep.

I passed up the Hades Armor at Fabul. It was 3000 Gil! And I'm gonna become a Paladin any time now so it seemed like a waste of money. Still got the helm and Gloves though for at least a couple points added Defense.

I haven't had a chance to off-load any Augments on other party members though. I mean, Item Lore and Counter seem like they'd be pretty drat useful and I'm not willing to give them to party members who will go away forever.

I had no idea "Yang" was pronounced like "young."

Overall I'm liking the game. I mean, it's more Final Fantasy IV and I've always loved that game. It's especially good to hear more FFIV music. Seems to me its glorious soundtrack doesn't get nearly enough appreciation anymore.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I liked the GBA version of FF4 more than the DS one, but that's just me. Never played it on PSP or iOS\PC.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well the GBA version is the only other once I've completed and it was amazing. So the DS version has a lot to live up to.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

NikkolasKing posted:

Well the GBA version is the only other once I've completed and it was amazing. So the DS version has a lot to live up to.

Yeah, own multiple versions of FF4, but the GBA one was the only one I beat. I think I have it for PS1, GBA and DS. PS1 is the worst.

I loved the GBA versions of 1+2, 4, 5 and 6 a lot. I've only been able to beat 1+2 and 5 on GBA, too. With 5, I have a better translation that has funny dialogue and I don't have to deal with PS1 load times, and with 1+2, they actually add MP to the games and make them easier for babby. I hate the classic D&D magic system the original NES games had. Okay well, I enjoyed FF1. Even on GBA, FF2 kinda sucks and I soldiered through that one as I had nothing better to do at the time.

I'm not super fond of the DS versions of 3 and 4... I kinda wish they had made FF3 more in the style of 1+2. I never could beat either of the DS games.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

FF4 Complete on PSP is the best version.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

baram. posted:

FF4 Complete on PSP is the best version.

:agreed:

Although IIRC Interlude manages to be as bad if not worse than TAY, which is remarkable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF4 DS was too much of a slog for me, I know people moan when random encounters are just auto-battle busywork but having to treat every encounter like a boss battle is a little too much in the other direction.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
People talk poo poo about The After Years, which is warranted, and I'm not arguing for The After Years, but Interlude is so much loving worse. The After Years has some nice things in it, like a full team of Monks going around beating everything up with their bare hands. Interlude don't got poo poo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Scarmiglione is the first boss fight I've run into a brick wall. I kinda had a feeling this might be my first real challenge. I wasted a ton of MP going up the mountain because I figured there would be a circle to use Tents up there before the boss fight. If there was, I missed it.

I couldn't tell exactly but it looks like he has two Counters. One is I'm fairly certain of and makes sense. He'll counter Palom's Fira with a nasty status ailment attack that hits everyone. And in addition to running low on MP, I have no status healing items because I was trying to conserve gil. Cecil's next armor costs 8000! I don't have money to spare...

Also I'm not sure but it looks like he might counter Cecil attacking him. Cecil doesn't do poo poo for damage compared to Palom anyway so maybe I shouldn't even bother. (dunno what the people in Mysidia were talking about, the "dark sword" does great damage against the undead. Not against this boss though)

But yeah, I have a save right before I even went up Mt. Ordeals. Think I'll just hop on a Chocobo and go spend a lot of money on Eye Drops and Echo Herbs.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 28, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

NikkolasKing posted:

Scarmiglione is the first boss fight I've run into a brick wall. I kinda had a feeling this might be my first real challenge. I wasted a ton of MP going up the mountain because I figured there would be a circle to use Tents up there before the boss fight. If there was, I missed it.

It's to the right of the bridge, if I'm remembering correctly. Should be the same place it was in the SNES version.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

NikkolasKing posted:

You did. There's one very close to where Scarmiglione pops up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NikkolasKing posted:

I had no idea "Yang" was pronounced like "young."

It's not, just as Sesuul is not how you pronounce "cecil" but the voice acting in a DS game isn't ever going to be that great (see: Suikoden Teirkries).

Sakurazuka posted:

FF4 DS was too much of a slog for me, I know people moan when random encounters are just auto-battle busywork but having to treat every encounter like a boss battle is a little too much in the other direction.

There's also areas where the random encounters can be more dangerous than the bosses, which isn't "oh this is a good challenge" it's "oh, the guys balancing this are inconsistent as hell." Except for Flamedogs. They were ruthless gameover assholes even in the SNES easymode version so it goes without saying that the DS version will also make them fiery death incarnate.

Before you get Omnicast (if you get it at all) there are random encounters on the moon that're harder than almost any lunar boss because they can potentially get 2-3 actions in before you do and when that results in multiple ice/fire/lit 3 spells blowing up your party and killing 2-3 people it gets annoying after the 6th time you've fought them in 30 minutes. Then you get omnicast and just wall your party and now pretty much every magic using enemy is a joke unless they reflect spells off themselves.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think basically every boss in FF4DS wrecked me the first one or two times I fought them until I started getting the hang of things towards the end of the game (then I reached the last dungeon and started getting destroyed again)

I dunno if that's the typical experience or if I was just real bad at it but I had a lot of fun with it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ah, okay I found the healing circle. I was looking in the totally wrong spot. Thanks for telling me guys.

Even still, there's nothing for it. I just plain need more Echo Herbs and Eye Drops. At full HP/MP I did pretty decently but 1 Echo Herd on Tellah and then him using Esuna isn't enough.

It's not too much trouble to get down the mountain though and then the Chocobo ride ensures it will be easy getting back to town.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You could just see the boss scripts and see what attacks he'll do in response to what you do/what HP threshold he's at/etc. and strategize accordingly.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Gologle posted:

You could just see the boss scripts and see what attacks he'll do in response to what you do/what HP threshold he's at/etc. and strategize accordingly.

I think the idea is to play the game without relying too heavily on other peoples' research and strategy guides. I believe that's why he asked for tips in the first place, but that might have just been an incorrect assumption on my part.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah I do prefer to "wing it" broadly speaking. if I get really hopelessly stuck on a boss I'll look up a guide. (had to do that with Orphan in FFXIII. Why didn't I realize Poison is the most amazingly overpowered thing ever in that game?) But otherwise, while it's fine to get general advice going into a game, I like to figure stuff out on my own.

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah I do prefer to "wing it" broadly speaking. if I get really hopelessly stuck on a boss I'll look up a guide. (had to do that with Orphan in FFXIII. Why didn't I realize Poison is the most amazingly overpowered thing ever in that game?) But otherwise, while it's fine to get general advice going into a game, I like to figure stuff out on my own.

I'm really close to the end of 13, first I've heard of this poison bit. Woot for easy last bosses (hopefully).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Poison will kill anything if youre patient but it's never anywhere near the most efficient ways to fight enemies and the last boss is not too much of a challenge really.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I had more trouble with the enemies leading up to the final boss in FF13

like for real I died at least 3 times to this one fight that was like, 3 or 4 sacrifices

and once to the velocycles

and once to a mini-boss

finished the final boss all in one shot tho

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The enemies in that area are a real pain in the rear end. I was also an idiot and tried to do that one fight that was like the mini boss you just fought and another enemy on a path you can just walk around and I didn't see the side path for like 20 minutes. I thought it was absolutely insane to have such a hard fight all of a sudden

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well Orphan kicked my rear end a lot. I couldn't do poo poo for damage to it and eventually the combination of the status effects and that one move that will kill you during its animation because the status effects continue to hurt you while the animation is going on kept loving me over.

Poison drained away its health so fast I didn't even need to attack. I think Snow attacked a couple times but mostly I just kept healing and let the Poison do the job. It didn't take any time at all.

While on the topic of FF games of dubious quality, I'm curious about Final Fantasy II.

I played the Dawn of Souls version right up to the Jade Passage and I played the Origins version up to the Lamia Queen boss. The reason I abandoned the Origins run is because the game seemed to be too easy. See I was going for a "Class Challenge" run with Firion as a Warrior, Maria as a Black Mage and Gus as a Monk.

But is it just me or is Unarmed way better than having weapons? Gus wrecked the LQ in a couple turns and that was really disappointing so I aborted that run. He totally wasn't as useful in DOS when I had him using Axes.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I didn't realize this until I got stuck on the final bosses, again, in my second playthrough. So, incase you haven't realized it yet, know that saboteur is very powerful and a requirement for some bosses unless you want to rely on luck.

Since I'm talking about it. Other things about 13 most people don't know without looking it up is that the ATB bar refreshes when you change paradigms the first time and every time you've regened a full ATB normally. This is why multiple of the same paradigms are useful. Another thing is that roles and their levels actually passively do something and they stack. SEN, for example lowers the damage of all party members. So if you have a big nuke incoming, say Destrudo, you could try SEN/SEN/SEN...

Roflan fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 28, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's gonna be a new stream from Tabata and team, discussing all the feedback they've gotten for the FF15 demo, in two hours.

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Roflan posted:

I didn't realize this until I got stuck on the final bosses, again, in my second playthrough. So, incase you haven't realized it yet, know that saboteur is very powerful and a requirement for some bosses unless you want to rely on luck.

Since I'm talking about it. Other things about 13 most people don't know without looking it up is that the ATB bar refreshes when you change paradigms the first time and every time you've regened a full ATB normally. This is why multiple of the same paradigms are useful. Another thing is that roles and their levels actually passively do something and they stack. SEN, for example lowers the damage of all party members. So if you have a big nuke incoming, say Destrudo, you could try SEN/SEN/SEN...

Sadly I didn't realize the power of the sab until chapter 12. Almost all the bosses there are immune to status effects but it's made the enemies a breeze. With Fang, Vanille, and Hope I start every regular encounter with sab/syn/sab and by the time the sabs take care of business, Hope has given everyone haste at least. Makes those fights way easier if a bit longer. I also grinded like hell the Mah'Habara (or however it's spelled) so my Crystarium and weapons are about as maxed as they can be right now. I'm sure that helps a lot.

Been using my deceptisols too. That proto behemoth guarding Hope's final weapon didn't stand a chance.

57 hours on first playthrough. The game would be awesome if the story didn't take 10 chapters to kick in. The last 10 or so hours have been awesome.

AbsolutZeroGI fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 28, 2015

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Note that SAB debuffs slow the stagger meter almost as much as COM. So you can do stuff like RAV/SAB/RAV until it's staggered or fully debuffed, whichever comes first.

Beware that the final bosses have a hidden time limit. After 20 or 30 min, they doom you... I mention that because I ran into that my first time and it was an enraging shock. If your current setup isn't killing them at a fair clip, retry and try a different strat.

Also note, that if you're weird like me, and like the combat system, you can skip all the cutscenes. Speedruns are only about 5:30, making it shorter than FFX.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Terper posted:

There's gonna be a new stream from Tabata and team, discussing all the feedback they've gotten for the FF15 demo, in two hours.

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqPFqMOqJDc

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's not, just as Sesuul is not how you pronounce "cecil" but the voice acting in a DS game isn't ever going to be that great (see: Suikoden Teirkries).

Seesil is more common in the US while Sessul is more common in the UK and places more closely tied to it. Both are valid and common enough.

Roflan posted:

Note that SAB debuffs slow the stagger meter almost as much as COM. So you can do stuff like RAV/SAB/RAV until it's staggered or fully debuffed, whichever comes first.

SABs also contribute to staggering (though probably not quite as well as RAV). They're a nice RAV/COM combo all things considered, and well worth using.

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Roflan posted:

Beware that the final bosses have a hidden time limit. After 20 or 30 min, they doom you... I mention that because I ran into that my first time and it was an enraging shock. If your current setup isn't killing them at a fair clip, retry and try a different strat.

Also note, that if you're weird like me, and like the combat system, you can skip all the cutscenes. Speedruns are only about 5:30, making it shorter than FFX.

I like the combat system half the time. There are battles where I'm really into it but after a bit I just want to get to the next part and the battles get tedious. Makes it really hard to sit and play the game for hours at a time. For instance, the first couple double behemoth battles, I was tuned in. But the subsequent 5 or 6 that I've seen so far have been like "really? I don't want to do this again."

One of the largest weaknesses is the battle to story ratio. Or, at least, they put such a large focus on battle that it dilutes the story. Great battle system, just wish they'd taken out the fluff and made it a little quicker so I can get passed it to find out what happens next.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Vil posted:

Seesil is more common in the US while Sessul is more common in the UK and places more closely tied to it. Both are valid and common enough.

How would people in the UK pronounce a name like Cecile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Got done watching the feedback video

Few things from the video:
-They want to patch the demo, Episode Duscae 2.0, which would come with improvements to the camera, combat, and lock-on, include a dodge roll that doesn't consume MP, it could possibly include "individual quest" quest where you won't have your whole party. The problem is they don't know if they are allowed to patch the demo, expect the answer in May.
-Don't expect anything major at E3, maybe just a short trailer. More info might come just before E3, but there will definitely be something at Gamescom in Germany which happens in August.
-Noctis will no longer sound like Batman
-Europe thinks Cindy is too sexy