Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oovee posted:

Just trying to drop pictures to email so they'll display right away rather than as attachments(elderly people).
In general you can't send rich-text email from Android so it wouldn't help anyway. There may be some third party client that supports it, I don't know. Also most good email clients will show attached images visually at the button of the message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Tunga posted:

I'm comparing the 2nd gen Moto E 4G with the 2nd gen Moto G 4G. The E appears to have the same CPU, a better GPU, and the same battery size but the screen is smaller so it should presumably last longer.

I know that the camera on the E is kind of garbage (but the G isn't much better anyway). Would the E still take better photos than a GNex?

Am I missing anything else as to why the G is a better device, assuming larger screen size is not a requirement?

According to Anandtech, the E 4G even has a more recent CPU than the G 4G (A53 cores vs. A7 cores)! The drawbacks are a low-res display (960x540) and no 802.11ac wifi, plus a crappy camera in low light. If you're talking about the original GNex, I guess you may still end up taking better pics with it, but don't quote me on that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What is the difference between Motorola's "Sleep" and Lollipop's "Downtime"?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

kri kri posted:

Share > copy to clipboard.

This does not work with pictures.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Verizon (GSM Unlocked) Droid Maxx 32gb on Woot for $180. This is essentially a Moto X with a beefier battery. Still on 4.4.4. This was my daily driver for a while and I really like it, but shh don't tell certain goons it has capacitive buttons. Additionally, I've moved on to a different phone and I've got one with a hairline crack that spans a small part of the top status bar that I'd be willing to let go for less than this.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Lblitzer posted:

Verizon (GSM Unlocked) Droid Maxx 32gb on Woot for $180. This is essentially a Moto X with a beefier battery. Still on 4.4.4. This was my daily driver for a while and I really like it, but shh don't tell certain goons it has capacitive buttons. Additionally, I've moved on to a different phone and I've got one with a hairline crack that spans a small part of the top status bar that I'd be willing to let go for less than this.

This phone has support for T-Mobile's LTE band, but since the 4.4 firmware upgrade, enabling LTE will break voice and SMS. So you're stuck on HSPA+.

This is not a bad deal if you intend to use it on Verizon but otherwise I'd probably just steer clear and get a Moto G.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

Isn't the E missing a few important sensors? Or was that just the first version
I'm trying to check this but can't see any references to it. What was the original missing?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

nimper posted:

This does not work with pictures.

Oh, that sucks.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tunga posted:

I'm trying to check this but can't see any references to it. What was the original missing?

I remembered hearing it was either the accelerometer or magnetometer (I just remember thinking 'hmm won't that prevent a few things from working'), and this site says there's no magnetometer, for what it's worth. Seems to be hard work getting a straight answer though!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hm, so my SIM stopped working suddenly after about a year and a half. Tried it in another phone, not detected there either. I ordered a new SIM but I'm wondering if there's any sort of temporary hailmary I can do to try to get it detected in the meantime - think blowing on an NES cartridge. I read somewhere that pressing on the screen above the SIM slot or rubbing a pencil eraser across the SIM's surface might work, but the former didn't work and I didn't want to gently caress it up even more by trying the latter after reading it on some random website.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Do you take it out regularly? I'd have to guess that the phone's sim reader would be far more likely to give up than the sim card itself. They're pretty simple.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Haven't taken it out since I got it. I tried putting a coworker's SIM in my phone and it worked, so I think it's just a faulty SIM.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Haven't taken it out since I got it. I tried putting a coworker's SIM in my phone and it worked, so I think it's just a faulty SIM.

Can't argue with that. I'm sure your carrier store could have you back up and running in 5 minutes. If the contacts are clean, there's probably nothing you can do for it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The pencil eraser on the Sim contacts seems pretty harmless. Just make sure to while it clean of rubber fragments before reinserting. If the Sim is shot you aren't risking much

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'll give eraser a shot, then, thanks.

RZA Encryption posted:

Can't argue with that. I'm sure your carrier store could have you back up and running in 5 minutes. If the contacts are clean, there's probably nothing you can do for it.

Straight Talk :(

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
What's the best way of playing Android games on a TV ? Not speaking about HDMI out on a tablet or Chromecast, but something like a cheap console with a pad (or using you phone / tablet as one).

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Spatule posted:

What's the best way of playing Android games on a TV ? Not speaking about HDMI out on a tablet or Chromecast, but something like a cheap console with a pad (or using you phone / tablet as one).

http://www.google.com/nexus/player/

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hmm, I just got a AT&T Unlocked Moto X 2014 from that ebay link someone posted in the thread earlier, but I've encountered a problem with it. I've been using it on T-Mobile, and when I'm out and about, it makes and takes text messages and calls just fine, but I can't seem to get it to connect to the Internet. Anyone have any ideas?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Spatule posted:

Comedy option: https://www.ouya.tv/

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Spatule posted:

Not as cheap option: https://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Demostrs posted:

Hmm, I just got a AT&T Unlocked Moto X 2014 from that ebay link someone posted in the thread earlier, but I've encountered a problem with it. I've been using it on T-Mobile, and when I'm out and about, it makes and takes text messages and calls just fine, but I can't seem to get it to connect to the Internet. Anyone have any ideas?

Check that the APN settings are correct.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Lblitzer posted:

Thanks for posting this, I've been really needing a new phone, but hoping to hold out til the end of the 2 year contract if I don't go loving insane with all the issues my Droid4 is having. I'll probably order this and just wait longer to actually get the contract renewed with a better phone purchase later on.

But now the question I ask because I am an idiot on phones. I've never just bought a phone on my own and used it. I've always got new ones when renewing my contract. Is there anything I have to do to get the phone on my plan other than just putting the serial number or whatever in my account somewhere online?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Along with the Moto X the LG G3 is pretty tempting. Is the screen on the LG G3 good beyond its dimensions? I'm quite tempted to buy one and I was wondering if it is worth the price or if I should just wait/ look for something else. Is it generally worth the prices you see for it, even more so with the G4 coming out soon?

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 28, 2015

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
What's the best reasonably-proceed case for a Moto G LTE? It doesn't look like Diztronic makes one.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

MaxDuo posted:

But now the question I ask because I am an idiot on phones. I've never just bought a phone on my own and used it. I've always got new ones when renewing my contract. Is there anything I have to do to get the phone on my plan other than just putting the serial number or whatever in my account somewhere online?

You'll need to get a nano-sim -- since the Droid 4 used a micro you can't just swap it into the new phone without getting a new one or cutting yours down.

If you activate it online Verizon'll send you one for free. Or you can take it to a corporate-owned shop and they'll give you one for free. Key there is corporate-owned, otherwise third party stores might charge you money.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Along with the Moto X the LG G3 is pretty tempting. Is the screen on the LG G3 good beyond its dimensions? I'm quite tempted to buy one and I was wondering if it is worth the price or if I should just wait/ look for something else. Is it generally worth the prices you see for it, even more so with the G4 coming out soon?

No, the screen is mediocre besides the resolution. In general, a G3 isn't much to get excited about over a G2, especially given the price difference. The only unambiguous improvement was the laser autofocus. Battery not any better, camera otherwise not any better, display worse in most ways except resolution.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

kitten smoothie posted:

You'll need to get a nano-sim -- since the Droid 4 used a micro you can't just swap it into the new phone without getting a new one or cutting yours down.

If you activate it online Verizon'll send you one for free. Or you can take it to a corporate-owned shop and they'll give you one for free. Key there is corporate-owned, otherwise third party stores might charge you money.

So I activate it, then they automatically send me the nano-sim? Does this also mean that my phone is then the new one, despite it not having a sim card yet? So would i have to activate it then switch back to my Droid4? Or is there an option to not make that phone work for that line until I get the sim? I'd just stop by the store, but I'm still on the family's plan, since that's just worked out to be cheaper. Would I have to be the account owner to get the nano-sim card and have it activated there?

Though of course the other issue of going in store is I loving hate how every time I go to any Verizon store, it's a 30+ minute wait to get help.

VVVVVVVVV Alright, thanks for the help!

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 28, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

MaxDuo posted:

So I activate it, then they automatically send me the nano-sim? Does this also mean that my phone is then the new one, despite it not having a sim card yet? So would i have to activate it then switch back to my Droid4? Or is there an option to not make that phone work for that line until I get the sim? I'd just stop by the store, but I'm still on the family's plan, since that's just worked out to be cheaper. Would I have to be the account owner to get the nano-sim card and have it activated there?

Though of course the other issue of going in store is I loving hate how every time I go to any Verizon store, it's a 30+ minute wait to get help.

You enter the IMEI from the phone, they tell you that you need a SIM, and they mail it. When you get it you come back to the website; they ask for the serial number from the SIM, and then you put that in your phone.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Just got my 2014 Moto X from the eBay deal. Are all the AT&T phones leather-backed? Can I remove the bloatware without rooting it? What's a good case for it?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Harmburger posted:

Just got my 2014 Moto X from the eBay deal. Are all the AT&T phones leather-backed? Can I remove the bloatware without rooting it? What's a good case for it?

No, no (but you can disable it), diztronic.

www.amazon.com
Nov 5, 2012
I'm gonna be adding a line to an att plan this weekend and getting a new phone. Is there some sort of short period where I would be able to return a device and switch if for a different one if I totally hate what I got. I'm thinking between the moto x, galaxy S6 and a nexus 6. I'm afraid of hating the samsung skin or the size of the nexus 6. the moto x turns me off only because it's been out for a good while now. I have a moto x 1st gen which im happy with but I really would rather go with the latest model I can get since i'll have to stick with it for a while. If only the nexus was just a little bit smaller. even the size of a note 4 would be fine. It's just so big; I'm not sure if i will be fine with the size or just hate it for being unwieldy.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

No, the screen is mediocre besides the resolution. In general, a G3 isn't much to get excited about over a G2, especially given the price difference. The only unambiguous improvement was the laser autofocus. Battery not any better, camera otherwise not any better, display worse in most ways except resolution.

Huh thats strange. I was looking on GSM Arena and it seems to have the screen for the G3 be on par, or better then the G2? Is there something beyond base specs I'm missing? Additionally what would the G3 do better than the Moto X and vice versa? Sorry to keep asking It is pretty much almost narrowed down to those two phones and I find it hard to make a choice.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The main problem I have with the G3 display is the sharpening is obnoxious, but contrast and viewing angles also aren't the best and it definitely is a big drain on power if you need to crank the brightness.

e. I'd have bought the X if it was available for a reasonable price, but in my market it costs the best part of double what a G3 goes for

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SkySteak posted:

Huh thats strange. I was looking on GSM Arena and it seems to have the screen for the G3 be on par, or better then the G2? Is there something beyond base specs I'm missing? Additionally what would the G3 do better than the Moto X and vice versa? Sorry to keep asking It is pretty much almost narrowed down to those two phones and I find it hard to make a choice.

You're missing the fact that the screen has a resolution exceeding the capabilities of the GPU causing slowdown and stuttering and the viewing angles and color reproduction are worse than they should be (although I think an update might have addressed the poor colors after all the initial reviews).

The G3 will have a better camera and much worse software compared to the Moto X. It will probably have better battery life and worse build quality. The Moto X will be updated in a timely manner and the G3 will not.

I would advise you to go with the Moto X unless you simply can't deal with the camera or battery of the Moto X.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So not to be ignorant but what you are essentially is that while the LG G3 has better hardware, the software situation of the Moto X is far better.

Either way though thank you for that summary. Its been a really difficult choice and I just didn't want to spend money on a phone that I'll run into issues or general frustrations with down the line.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SkySteak posted:

So not to be ignorant but what you are essentially is that while the LG G3 has better hardware, the software situation of the Moto X is far better.

Either way though thank you for that summary. Its been a really difficult choice and I just didn't want to spend money on a phone that I'll run into issues or general frustrations with down the line.

If your primary concern is simply "fewer issues" then you certainly want the Moto X. The problem with the G3 isn't the software it's got now (bad as it is), it's the software it won't have a year from now.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

LastInLine posted:

If your primary concern is simply "fewer issues" then you certainly want the Moto X. The problem with the G3 isn't the software it's got now (bad as it is), it's the software it won't have a year from now.

I heard that about the Moto. Honestly I've only recently heard about the camera issues, but the battery one is the only real worrying one for the Moto X and the lack of removable storage as well, apart from that I'd love to pick it up. Like, how long does the X's battery last with heavy usage? Either way thank you for your patience.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 28, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SkySteak posted:

I heard that about the Moto. Honestly I've only recently heard about the camera issues, but the battery one is the only real worrying one for the Moto X and the lack of removable storage as well, apart from that I'd love to pick it up. Like, how long does the X's battery last with heavy usage? Either way thank you for your patience.

I'll let someone who actually has one answer the battery question but really it's a matter of what you do on your phone, how often you do it, and what kind of signal strength you have. If you're a light user then it will easily last a day and if you're watching anime constantly in the subway with no signal it will last you maybe ninety minutes.

If it makes you more comfortable the Moto X supports Turbo Charging meaning that with the proper charger (I'm not sure if it's included, it is with the Nexus 6) you can go from low charge to like 80% in 15 minutes or so. Meaning if you're a heavy user just carry your charger with you and bam, 0% to 80% in basically no time at all.

As for removable storage you won't find a much more contentious topic in the thread but I've got a 32GB Nexus 5 and have about 24GB free. What is it you believe you'll be filling your phone with to need more storage than that? I'd imagine that many people don't make use of the storage they believed they'd need when they bought their phone.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For those of you playing along at home with my exciting Android battery life adventures, I think I finally fixed it by uninstalling WhatsApp, an app that I only installed to talk to one friend when he visited from Germany, haven't used for the last month, have rebooted multiple times since using, and which did not appear anywhere in the battery graph. It was causing some kind of cell-radio wakelock (but no such wakelock when on Wi-Fi), a fact that I had to root to find out. I uninstalled a random app every day until the wakelock disappeared (and battery life was obviously better it looks like WhatsApp was the cause. Only three days in so we'll see if it comes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

SkySteak posted:

Your best bet if possible is to find and play around with both phones to see which you prefer. You mentioned "looking at a lot of videos and browsing the web a ton" and for that purpose the G3's battery life might better suit you since battery life is easily the X's weakest point. That's not to say the Moto X couldn't be your best choice despite that which is why a hands on comparison would really help you choose.

At the very least watch someone like mkbhd review both for a chance to see them in use.