Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Vulture Culture posted:

Do ask if they offer transit reimbursement accounts, because you can at least make $130 of those parking expenses come out of your pre-tax income. It's not much, but it's something.

Nope.

They just called to officially offer me the job. They were very accommodating and said they won't expect me until the 18th of May so I have a lot of time to prepare and make my move from California to NYC. They also cemented the schedule of Mon-Wed in NJ and Thu-Friday in Manhattan.

Oh and :toot: :toot: :toot: F A S H I O N B O Y S. Finally got into a big brand so happy :toot: :toot: :toot:

e:
best of luck to everyone else job seeking and thanks for all the help.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
Congrats man. Welcome to the city.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Why do you have to live in Manhattan? Why not live equal distance between Manhattan and the office in new Jersey, that way your commute isn't so extreme on different days?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Blinkz0rz posted:

Why do you have to live in Manhattan? Why not live equal distance between Manhattan and the office in new Jersey, that way your commute isn't so extreme on different days?

I used to live in Manhattan most of my friends are there. Work is work and they are flexible on hours when I need to get there so I can dodge a lot of the heavy traffic in the morning so once I am back home, I can walk to hang out with friends and such. I rather have work be inconvenient than being far from friends.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Wiew I got the job. For such a low-level admin position (it's a not-for-profit medical group) I wonder what my negotiation powers are. The HR person is going to call me on Monday to "discuss salary". I really want to work for the company so money is not a primary motivator (luckily).

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
I was just recently laid off from a job I really enjoyed (gently caress!), part of a mass layoff, and now I'm actively looking for something in software in the SF Bay Area. I'm a Proposal Manager, so it's a fairly specialized role with not a lot of open positions. I had an interview in the last two weeks, but wasn't picked. It was annoying to have to try to explain my layoff in the interview - something I had to do four times as I was meeting with team members individually.

What's the best approach for explaining a layoff, being jobless, and not coming across as desperate?

And regarding LinkedIn: Should I keep my last employer as "current" or show the end date of this month? Should I update the profile to "Actively Seeking Opportunity" or just add a role that reads like I'm serving as a Consultant?

Moral of this story: It sucks trying to find work when you've been laid off and your prospects aren't plentiful. I feel like I need to take the first offer that comes along rather than finding something on my own terms. Ugh.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Caustic posted:

I was just recently laid off from a job I really enjoyed (gently caress!), part of a mass layoff, and now I'm actively looking for something in software in the SF Bay Area. I'm a Proposal Manager, so it's a fairly specialized role with not a lot of open positions. I had an interview in the last two weeks, but wasn't picked. It was annoying to have to try to explain my layoff in the interview - something I had to do four times as I was meeting with team members individually.

What's the best approach for explaining a layoff, being jobless, and not coming across as desperate?

And regarding LinkedIn: Should I keep my last employer as "current" or show the end date of this month? Should I update the profile to "Actively Seeking Opportunity" or just add a role that reads like I'm serving as a Consultant?

You get a little lag time to switch it over, but not too much before it becomes dishonest. Generally I'd say you could say "current" through the end of the month. And I think it's totally okay to say that it was part of a mass layoff, people understand that these things happen.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

If a prospective employer wants me to submit my cover letter and resume by e-mail, I assume it's best to submit them as a single document, preferably as a PDF, correct? If so, should I put my name/contact info at the top of the cover letter, the resume, or both?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Caustic posted:

Moral of this story: It sucks trying to find work when you've been laid off and your prospects aren't plentiful. I feel like I need to take the first offer that comes along rather than finding something on my own terms. Ugh.

I was just laid off in the Bay Area as well. I explained it as a downturn in the insurance marketplace and was pretty honest with what the situation at the previous company was.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Meaty Ore posted:

If a prospective employer wants me to submit my cover letter and resume by e-mail, I assume it's best to submit them as a single document, preferably as a PDF, correct? If so, should I put my name/contact info at the top of the cover letter, the resume, or both?

I'd send them as separate documents, but even if you combine them, they're still going to be two separate documents within one larger PDF. So that's why I don't understand the name/contact info question. Your cover letter is a letter, i.e., containing all the normal parts of a letter including a heading (with your name and contact info) and a signature (with your name in print below). A resume always has contact info, which would be at the top.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Your resume and cover letter should look like they belong together but should be able to stand alone as separate documents. I would recommend making a header with your contact info and stick it on both the cover letter and resume and if they get separated someone can put them back together without reading a single word.

As for actually submitting I've always attached two separate PDFs so they can distribute just your resume and print it more easily.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

ibntumart posted:

I'd send them as separate documents, but even if you combine them, they're still going to be two separate documents within one larger PDF. So that's why I don't understand the name/contact info question. Your cover letter is a letter, i.e., containing all the normal parts of a letter including a heading (with your name and contact info) and a signature (with your name in print below). A resume always has contact info, which would be at the top.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Your resume and cover letter should look like they belong together but should be able to stand alone as separate documents. I would recommend making a header with your contact info and stick it on both the cover letter and resume and if they get separated someone can put them back together without reading a single word.

As for actually submitting I've always attached two separate PDFs so they can distribute just your resume and print it more easily.

Separate documents with the header on each one. That answers my question, then. Thanks!

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe
So, I have a phone interview Monday for a position with a software company, and turns out it is a 'long term contract' position - they are saying 6+ months - through Randstad.

I don't have any experience working contract, and the job would require relocation, so I am immediately skeptical. '6+ months' sounds sort of like 'until we figure out if you do/don't suck and we hire you/end your assignment', but still. Anyone with contract experience in the tech sector have good/bad experiences or advice?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Doresain posted:

So, I have a phone interview Monday for a position with a software company, and turns out it is a 'long term contract' position - they are saying 6+ months - through Randstad.

I don't have any experience working contract, and the job would require relocation, so I am immediately skeptical. '6+ months' sounds sort of like 'until we figure out if you do/don't suck and we hire you/end your assignment', but still. Anyone with contract experience in the tech sector have good/bad experiences or advice?

I don't have any firsthand knowledge but employment at will is pretty much boiler plate on every employment agreement at this point, so I wonder why they go out of their way to say it's going to be temporary unless it actually is going to be temporary.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Doresain posted:

It is basically "as long as the company you work for likes you, you'll get to have a contract here." At least with the companies I've interacted with, its been like that. T

The only problem with Ranstahd is their really lovely health plans.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I'm entering month 10 of a 6 month contract. I get insurance through my husband's job so I just pocket the money instead of paying for their lovely benefits.

Contactors are the first to get the boot when there's a downturn in business, and I'm not sure my job will last till summer.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Actually that reminds me, if a job offers benefits MUST I take them? I paid for very comprehensive travel medical insurance in Australia before I left the country which covers me until my husband starts his job in September. The job I just took offers benefits but I wasn't sure if I had to take them or not?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
You should be able to opt out

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Doresain posted:

My department does all entry-level jobs as 6-month contracts, because it's a pain in the rear end to fire employees. Everyone who's capable gets a full-time job when one becomes available.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
So I did well enough on a phone interview and now I am invited to online assessments.

The online assessments consist of verbal, mental, and abstract reasoning.

Does anyone have any advice on how to do really well on these?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's pretty weird for a company to ask for "work sample" as part of the interview process, right? They said to sanitize it, but still.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Xandu posted:

It's pretty weird for a company to ask for "work sample" as part of the interview process, right? They said to sanitize it, but still.

Depends on the field.

I've been doing supply chain and sourcing analysis, so yeah, I'd be pretty skeeved if they asked, because sanitized it would basically be a blank sheet.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My company is closing down which means I'm losing my job at the end of June. When I start interviewing, when is an appropriate time to tell a company that I have two days in August that I absolutely have to have off? My dad and sister are coming out to visit me (sister first time visiting) and we're going hiking out in the Rockies; the plane tickets and hotel accommodations have been booked for months.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

GobiasIndustries posted:

My company is closing down which means I'm losing my job at the end of June. When I start interviewing, when is an appropriate time to tell a company that I have two days in August that I absolutely have to have off? My dad and sister are coming out to visit me (sister first time visiting) and we're going hiking out in the Rockies; the plane tickets and hotel accommodations have been booked for months.

As near to the end of the process as possible. Any company that has a half decent hiring process will be asking you at interview if you have any holiday days that you're committed to.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

Raphisonfire posted:

So I did well enough on a phone interview and now I am invited to online assessments.

The online assessments consist of verbal, mental, and abstract reasoning.

Does anyone have any advice on how to do really well on these?

I just finished up a bunch of interviews and a lot of them had me do this, but generally these are given to all prospective employees regardless of position so they're really not made to be that difficult. I was interviewing for engineering positions and had to take the same tests that would be given to someone in accounting, HR, or the custodial staff, etc. and while I'm sure the results expected from a candidate differ a bit depending on the position you're interviewing for, I wouldn't stress over it too much. Just treat it like a real exam and make sure you're in a quiet and comfortable place free of distractions for an hour or so. If they told you the name of the test (for example, I had to take a few "Wunderlich assessments", but those were in person) then google it and see if there are sample questions online so you get a feel for the format or types of questions that will be asked. Good luck :)

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Xandu posted:

I don't think that's so odd, but I guess it depends on the field. For designers the next step after "we like your resume" isn't "schedule an interview;" it's "send your portfolio." For programmers it's common to send a description of a simple program to code up and send back. I've even seen analyst type positions sent a data set and be asked to send back a 2-3 page description of anything interesting they find in it. I'd take "sanitized work sample" as "we want to see your work, but we're not going to waste your time with some contrived interview project."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess my concern is I'm a consultant so all my work product is proprietary strategy documents, analysis, and recommendations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How would you fit these majors into a resume:

1st major: Business
2nd major: History and History of Science, Technology, and Medicine

Try not to quote these because I plan to edit them out. My problem is there's no way to make them look neat.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Anybody who reads your resume will see the second major and see "history", then their eyes will glaze over.

So you might as well just write double major in x and history, period.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My dumb idea is that the science, technology, and medicine part connotes some kind of knowledge about STEM issues, albeit from a humanistic perspective. When I discuss it with recruiters it seems to make me slightly more interesting than generic history majors.

That said I definitely recognize how lovely the whole thing looks though.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Oh for sure, I mean if it's relevant, put it in your cover letter, or just bring it up in coversation. I was just giving my own dumb opinion anyway - though I have read a good number of resumes on the hiring side (I was not actually HR so it was mostly picking out people who already made it past HR).

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Vegetable posted:

How would you fit these majors into a resume:

1st major: Business
2nd major: History and History of Science, Technology, and Medicine

Try not to quote these because I plan to edit them out. My problem is there's no way to make them look neat.

What type of history, can you slant it to something like Pan-asian trade history?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Accepted a job last Friday and got an email today from a recruiter for another job. lol loving HR always sends emails too late even when its a good email.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Vegetable posted:

My dumb idea is that the science, technology, and medicine part connotes some kind of knowledge about STEM issues, albeit from a humanistic perspective. When I discuss it with recruiters it seems to make me slightly more interesting than generic history majors.

That said I definitely recognize how lovely the whole thing looks though.
If you're trying to find work in a STEM field, you're going to get laughed out of the room if you try to say that a History of Science degree gives you knowledge about STEM issues.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Xandu posted:

I got asked for writing samples when I was applying to jobs involving writing, it's no big deal. Artists are asked for portfolios and stuff.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fil5000 posted:

As near to the end of the process as possible. Any company that has a half decent hiring process will be asking you at interview if you have any holiday days that you're committed to.

Sounds good, thank you!

Next question: applied to a job last Monday, haven't heard anything yet and my job application status is still at 'In Progress'. Is there any good way to send an email just to see what's going on and what they are expecting the timeline for interviews to be?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GobiasIndustries posted:

Sounds good, thank you!

Next question: applied to a job last Monday, haven't heard anything yet and my job application status is still at 'In Progress'. Is there any good way to send an email just to see what's going on and what they are expecting the timeline for interviews to be?
If you were invited to apply or have a connection in the company, go ahead and e-mail HR or your connection to see what's up.

If you fired off a resume blindly, there's no way to do that tactfully.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dik Hz posted:

If you were invited to apply or have a connection in the company, go ahead and e-mail HR or your connection to see what's up.

If you fired off a resume blindly, there's no way to do that tactfully.

Yeah it was an online application through their company job website (jobsatcu.com) The fact that my application status hasn't been moved to Denied or Cancelled means there's still hope I suppose, but I really can't think of a good way to make contact with them without coming across as impatient.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

GobiasIndustries posted:

I applied for a job at a university 5 years ago, using their online system. Last time I looked, it was still "in progress".

Another time, a university came back to me a year after I'd applied to say they were "still deliberating".

Outside the wacky world of higher education, things will probably move faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah it was an online application through their company job website (jobsatcu.com) The fact that my application status hasn't been moved to Denied or Cancelled means there's still hope I suppose, but I really can't think of a good way to make contact with them without coming across as impatient.

Most jobs won't get back to you at all. Emailing or calling won't help. It is what it is.