Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Here is my new Conure, Ozzie. This is the best picture I've been able to get of him, as he immediately runs up onto my shoulder and welds himself to the side of my neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Soylent Yellow posted:

Here is my new Conure, Ozzie. This is the best picture I've been able to get of him, as he immediately runs up onto my shoulder and welds himself to the side of my neck.

hes chill as

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Soylent Yellow posted:

I just got back from picking up my new conure. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. I can see why people call them velcro birds already. He's clambering all over me and my keyboard.. So far, the highlight seems to be him discovering that my glasses make an excellent perch.

Fuji (budgie) does this to me, too. Hara hasn't gotten the hang of it yet, but she's not much of a climber in general.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

blackflare posted:

Sure post some pictures and give me any specific colors you want for certain areas. I might not get started right away but at least I'll have all the colors sorted so I can cut pieces out.

Woop, just saw this. Here you go! Please contact me at Removed!

I did just get an update on him last week. He's doing great! Unfortunately the cell phone pictures of him are even worse than mine, but you'll have to trust me when I say he loves his new home and is absolutely spoiled with his own loving aviary and everything.

I'll start off by saying I don't know how on earth you'd do the crest, so that's entirely optional (but it would make me very happy! If it costs a little more in mats but you feel confident about it, I'll pay for it)

Head refs:

Body refs:

Colors:

He's got that bright reddish-orange on the inside of his tail feathers, but this is pretty much the only time it's visible? So it's optional. The inside of his wings have a similar thing going on, black with the little red-orange on the inside of the primaries. Secondaries are all black, the rest of the feathers are the black/green ones.

Bonus Floofs:

JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT I MIGHT NOT BE A BIRD CRAZY :derptiel: :byodame:

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 27, 2015

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
holy poo poo hawk headed parrots are incredible

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

No kidding, I love all of his colors and his silly little crest :kimchi:

e: and new ekkie and new GCC, aaaa yay birds!!

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 27, 2015

Aug 24, 2011

i have not seen that kind of parrot before where the front is dark like a hunter but the back is bright like a parrot

GoldStandardConure posted:

holy poo poo hawk headed parrots are incredible

can you breed hawks with parrots or is it a normal species

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

They are a normal species! They are just difficult to breed due to aggression issues (even with mates). You can see them labeled as"red fan parrots" sometimes.

And thank you, he's a very pretty bird and he's a lot prettier now that he's happy and not super stressed over being stuck in a tiny place alone.

Aug 24, 2011

it is a cool bird who i would not gently caress with that beak looks lethal

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
New Orleans is under a severe tornado warning so me, Fry the gcc, Lady Slim the ekkie, and mr ziggly wiggly the cat are hunkering down in the bathroom watching third rock from the sun bc it makes Slim laugh. This is our only room wo windows. Keep us in your be safe thoughts

Otherwise Slim had a great first night pic dump coming when wifi is more stable!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'm really happy to hear that Slim is doing so great. Sounds like she just really needed personal attention. :)

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
Pie has been less Velcro Birb and more Superglue Birb in the last few days and I can't figure out why. It's getting to the point where it's honestly becoming a little annoying because if he's on my shoulder he won't remember to eat or drink or that he's not supposed to poop on me unless I physically remove him and put him on his food/water bowl/perch.

Not sure if desensitization for walking a few feet away from him is working, either. He'll take the treat but the moment I start to move he drops it and goes into OH GOD I NEED TO GO WITH YOU mode. Today he actually managed to uselessly flap to my bed from his cage when I opened the door for him to sit up top while i checked my phone. I've been trying to do the same things I always do but he's persistent as gently caress. Also he started up biting my ears again, goddamn.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

aerialsilks posted:

Pie has been less Velcro Birb and more Superglue Birb in the last few days and I can't figure out why. It's getting to the point where it's honestly becoming a little annoying because if he's on my shoulder he won't remember to eat or drink or that he's not supposed to poop on me unless I physically remove him and put him on his food/water bowl/perch.

Not sure if desensitization for walking a few feet away from him is working, either. He'll take the treat but the moment I start to move he drops it and goes into OH GOD I NEED TO GO WITH YOU mode. Today he actually managed to uselessly flap to my bed from his cage when I opened the door for him to sit up top while i checked my phone. I've been trying to do the same things I always do but he's persistent as gently caress. Also he started up biting my ears again, goddamn.
Normal for a young conure in a new place. As he becomes more secure in his surroundings and no longer believes you're going to abandon him he'll be more independent. Just gotta be patient, and sometimes that'll just mean forcing him to sit near you instead of on you even if he desperately wants to sit on you.

Alexis was very clingy for weeks after I adopted her and she was already almost 2 years old. Just gotta teach the bird that they'll be fine not clinging to you.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 27, 2015

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

zbeezy posted:

watching third rock from the sun bc it makes Slim laugh.

:3:

Hope the bad weather doesn't affect you guys. Pretty cool that Slim (and the other critters, for that matter) are okay with a disruption like that. You must be doing a great job with them.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

Kenshin posted:

I'm really happy to hear that Slim is doing so great. Sounds like she just really needed personal attention. :)

Fry on the other hand has attacked me and drawn blood two days in a row. Once prior to Slim's arrival, even.

I am quite upset and trying not to show it. Fry hates thunderstorms, which we have one going on now. Fry is hormonal, because spring. And ice the cake w a new bird getting my attention and I'm stuck w not knowing what to do.

I was going to take him for a shower, but he latched onto my ear after acting like he was going to be sweet and nuzzle me. I grabbed him in a fist, which usually calms him down and he bit both of my hands drawing blood on my right index finger. I didn't yelp, but I put him back in the cage because I haven't trimmed his wings because I wanted him to be able to get away from Slim if needed.

I went in the other room where they couldn't hear me. I called my mom and cried because I'm a bad parent and my sweet baby hates me all the sudden. Mom calmed me down and reminded me I acted out when they brought my baby sister home from the hospital and not to feel bad about leaving him in his cage for now, because maybe he feels safe there.

Earlier all three of us were snuggling w no biting. I don't understand and I just want my sweet Fry back.

Suggestions?

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

Arriviste posted:

Hope the bad weather doesn't affect you guys. Pretty cool that Slim (and the other critters, for that matter) are okay with a disruption like that. You must be doing a great job with them.

It's really bad. It's torn decorative siding wood stuff off the front of my house and blown six train cars off of a bridge a few miles away.

Meanwhile, Slim just said hello. Her first word to me.

Good, bad, and ugly. I'm an emotional roller coaster today, guys

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Conures are jealous little creatures sometimes, especially if they aren't used to sharing attention.

He's just going to have to learn to be nice, and if that means not being allowed to sit on you when he's acting all jealous... that's what you'll have to do.

Alexis is still often jealous of attention that Auri gets but she's learned that if she acts out she'll get put in her cage while I spend even MORE time alone with Auri. She's learned it's better to share time than to get ignored.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Conures are jealous little creatures sometimes, especially if they aren't used to sharing attention.

He's just going to have to learn to be nice, and if that means not being allowed to sit on you when he's acting all jealous... that's what you'll have to do.

Alexis is still often jealous of attention that Auri gets but she's learned that if she acts out she'll get put in her cage while I spend even MORE time alone with Auri. She's learned it's better to share time than to get ignored.

So I'm not a bad parent? This is normal? I'm not horrid to leave him in his cage that is full of treats and toys and perches?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

zbeezy posted:

So I'm not a bad parent? This is normal? I'm not horrid to leave him in his cage that is full of treats and toys and perches?

Totally normal. He's a little insecure jerk that needs to learn that love is not a finite resource to be hoarded.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Boop loves qtips.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Eejit posted:

Male white cockatoo, probably 30% larger than Slim. She is beautiful!

I would heartily disagree. I would attribute any perceived difference to it just being easier to read a large bird's body language for the average person. Also play bite vs real bite is a big difference. Teeka does not bite unless he means it, but he is ready to do it if his boundaries are not respected.

There's that, and also that the smaller birds seem to just move faster and act more impulsively, possibly due to less intelligence. I find with larger birds that I have ample time to withdraw my hand compared to the snake-like strikes of my GCC.

edit: it says right on the packet that you shouldn't stick them that far into your ears you dumb bird aaargh (I know it's just behind his head)

DOUBLE EDIT: I'm really glad I got the meanest bird nobody would buy because there was no annoying superglue-bird phase with us. Though there was a period where we both had to be very firm about boundaries and no jealous behavior because she would fixate on one of us and then the other depending on who she thought had been "meaner" to her that day.

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 28, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Sekkira posted:

Boop loves qtips.

Ah yes, conures are well-known for their amateur trepanation efforts.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I visited a pet store today to see theirs birds for sale. They had 3 cockatiels, of those one was sitting on a perch, the other two on the floor. All of them were very still, the one on the perch drew a bit away when I got closer to their cage. The perched one also seemed to be trembling a bit.

Their budgies also were similarly silent and inactive, though most of them were perched. One cage had two budgies by themselves, both sitting on the floor.

Am I right in thinking I should avoid purchasing a bird there? Or are there other things to look for/ask about?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

nielsm posted:

I visited a pet store today to see theirs birds for sale. They had 3 cockatiels, of those one was sitting on a perch, the other two on the floor. All of them were very still, the one on the perch drew a bit away when I got closer to their cage. The perched one also seemed to be trembling a bit.

Their budgies also were similarly silent and inactive, though most of them were perched. One cage had two budgies by themselves, both sitting on the floor.

Am I right in thinking I should avoid purchasing a bird there? Or are there other things to look for/ask about?

yes, very much don't purchase a bird from there.

other things to look out for are poopy butts, how many birds in a cage. if you ask questions, ask what they're fed, if they're sexed, if they're hand trained. I'd look for a breeder, though.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Totally normal. He's a little insecure jerk that needs to learn that love is not a finite resource to be hoarded.

Thank you, Kenshin. I need the moral support of the crazies and my friends so that I can adjust to a "new baby" and a jealous conure during last week of school before finals.

Lucky for me fry calmed down last night. I do have a huge lip blister from one of the bites I took.

I'm also lucky that while I'm at school today my guy pal (bf? Dude I'm dating? Idk what to call him), is posted up in my bedroom w the kids and he is just keeping them company til I get home. I've found a good man. I was told a good wet shower stops Slim's plucking so even tho I overslept and put her breakfast on and was so tired I passed back out only to be woken by a call from my ride just in time to not burn her breakfast. When I sat her on her cage to dress she was eating again and not wNting to go back in her house. I instructed bf to leave her alone and let her go in on her own she'd be ok.

Just called him. He'd had Fry (who adores him) out, but Fry was being nippy. So Fry went back in his house. When I was talking to him he was chilling on the bed w Slim!!! Doing fine. Listening to chill music. Everyone is happy. Slim has pulled one feather on her wing I think bc I'm not there. At least they're not alone.

I'm ready for this day to be over and to go home and love on the babies (even tho I have an exam).

Will report back. Thanks for the support, guys!

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

zbeezy posted:

I'm also lucky that while I'm at school today my guy pal (bf? Dude I'm dating? Idk what to call him), is posted up in my bedroom w the kids and he is just keeping them company til I get home. I've found a good man.

Yeah, call him a keeper. I had a very sentimental moment with my husband last night-- our neighbor is thinking of rehoming her African grey because of health issues, and he was flabbergasted that she could just let the bird go. We talked about it and came to the conclusion that he was totally projecting on how he would feel about Pearl. Major aww moment, and it does mean a lot to me that he considers her part of the family. As an aside, it's probably a very responsible decision our neighbor is making-- the bird is in its teens and may outlive her, so finding her a happy home now may be for the best.

I'm really glad to hear Slim is settling in so well. Good to hear these success stories.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

greypearl posted:

Yeah, call him a keeper. I had a very sentimental moment with my husband last night-- our neighbor is thinking of rehoming her African grey because of health issues, and he was flabbergasted that she could just let the bird go. We talked about it and came to the conclusion that he was totally projecting on how he would feel about Pearl. Major aww moment, and it does mean a lot to me that he considers her part of the family. As an aside, it's probably a very responsible decision our neighbor is making-- the bird is in its teens and may outlive her, so finding her a happy home now may be for the best.

I'm really glad to hear Slim is settling in so well. Good to hear these success stories.

I just want my Fry to calm down. I want my sweet loving Velcro baby back. This is hard on me putting my little road bird in his cage bc he's being a jackass.

Bf is def a keeper. The fact that he had no issues spending his day off bird sitting in my apartment (he lives upstairs). I can check in on them on iPad cam but I haven't felt the need to. I told him just to call in case of emergency or even questions.

My ride/mentor/professor told me I'd taken on to much by taking Slim in. I've never been so pissed. I said it is day two and we are finding our groove and I wouldn't tell him to ditch his dog because it poo poo on the floor during yesterday's storm

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

How old is Fry now? He's pretty young, iirc? He's probably going through puberty and that combined with suddenly having a rival for your attention is going to make him a bitey little poo poo for a while. Just be patient and remember that he is, figuratively and literally, a child. You'll make it through. :h:

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
I took another trip to Omar's so here are some more birb pics (sorry they aren't very well-shot):

This is a baby African Grey that they had at the store. From what I could tell the few times I've been there, the owner who bought the bird brings the foldable chair every day and just hangs out with the bird for several hours. :unsmith:

Here's an orange finch that made car alarm sounds and I thought that was pretty funny. Here you can see it studying its subjects :v:

Here's one of two Jenday Conures they had there. Seemed pretty friendly.

Blue Macaw baby named Ricky. Some stoner kids came in and he climbed on their arms and bit their fingers :parrot:

Here are some baby :derptiel:s. One of them loved to climb onto shoulders and chill out, as you can see in the first pic.

Some Illiger Macaws. Whenever one would squak, the other would too, so I called em Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum

Fancy English Budgie that was hanging out with the cockatiels. He seemed pretty happy to climb up onto my finger but disliked scratches. Eventually he climbed to the top perch of Cockatiel Mountain to oversee his subjects.

And finally, the reason I actually went to the store in the first place: to pay off the deposit on the GCC at the bottom of the pile! He seemed pretty friendly, would mostly nibble my finger with some hard pinches occasionally (seemed like he was testing the waters). Stepped onto my hand without too much hesitation. When I went to give him head scratches he seemed to protest at first (kind of like this...annoyed screeching? dunno how to describe it) but eventually would let me scratch his head til he fell asleep :kimchi: The store employee said it would be about 3-4 weeks till I could take him home, as they still have to ween him off the formula. Pretty excited to soon be a bird-haver! Any general tips? We used to have birds at my house when I was a kid but looking back at it they were kept in cages mostly and were probably really unhappy :( I'd really like this little dude to be a velcro bird.

Also, shoutout to Chaosfeather for suggesting I hold Gretchen: she is probably the sweetest bird I've ever met. She would hop up on my arm and go straight for the cuddles. Although after getting a closer look at her she seemed awfully bare of feathers on her back :( I can't imagine she plucks them, she gets a lot of attention at the store and seems pretty happy. Could it be a molt? I couldn't get any good pictures of it.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
My new Conure Ozzie is being super clingy. He's spending about 90% of the time glued solid to the side of my neck, with the occasional break to eviscerate raisins on my mousemat (he rips it to shreds, and then spends an hour chasing up the bits :3: ). He's not scared at all, just super clingy. If I try and handle him, he'll swarm up my sleeve to my neck the first chance he gets. I'm hoping he'll grow out of it once he gets used to the new environment, but currently he's stuck to my neck with superglue.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Soylent Yellow posted:

My new Conure Ozzie is being super clingy. He's spending about 90% of the time glued solid to the side of my neck, with the occasional break to eviscerate raisins on my mousemat (he rips it to shreds, and then spends an hour chasing up the bits :3: ). He's not scared at all, just super clingy. If I try and handle him, he'll swarm up my sleeve to my neck the first chance he gets. I'm hoping he'll grow out of it once he gets used to the new environment, but currently he's stuck to my neck with superglue.

Sammy was the same way for the first few weeks. He's calmed down a bunch, even though he still doesn't like it when he can't see me. He also always immediately runs towards me if I approach his cage :3: I'm jealous Ozzie eats raisins though, Sam is all apples and peas so far.

On a different note, does anyone have an opinion on Roudybush pellets? It's what the store I bought Sammy from fed him, so I picked up a bag to continue the pellet transition.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Shirec posted:

I'm jealous Ozzie eats raisins though, Sam is all apples and peas so far.

Those things are like conure crack for him.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

How old is Fry now? He's pretty young, iirc? He's probably going through puberty and that combined with suddenly having a rival for your attention is going to make him a bitey little poo poo for a while. Just be patient and remember that he is, figuratively and literally, a child. You'll make it through. :h:

Fry will be two in May. This going off him being ~3mo old when I got him in August 2013, so I'm not 100% bc his previous owners probably knew more about any other subject than birds.

Fry is currently loving the poo poo out of because I came home and took him out and just said f it - if I get bit I get bit because my Fry needs love. I've got pics to prove he's loving me too, so I'll post those up ASAP.

Fry also tried some fresh foods. Enjoying sweet taters and sprouts. Slim the ekkie has scaled cage mountain and is roaming the storage area under her cage. Idk guys birbs are weird. Bf is not worse for wear after birb day, either. Though he is concerned she pulled exactly two feathers ALL DAY! (Progress imo)

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

zbeezy posted:

Fry will be two in May. This going off him being ~3mo old when I got him in August 2013, so I'm not 100% bc his previous owners probably knew more about any other subject than birds.

Sounds about right. GCC sized birds will generally go through puberty ~15-18 months, so if he missed last spring, this is probably his first spring in full blown puberty mode.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I do not apologize for my actions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rua4NhyLJfE

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
So it turns out my diamonds are a male-female pair (Bern and Lambda respectively) and Bern very clearly wants to have babies. I've separated them since Lambda's still in rough shape from the pet shop I got them from. Avian vet said it might take 6-9 months before she starts looking better feather-wise.

Bern wants none of that and will perform the :heysexy: nesting coo regardless of everything vaguely nest-like being removed from his habitat.

But in other news! I got to hold and give scritches to the sweetest little GCC today. The Petco he's at wants $400 for him, but goddamn if I had the money I would've taken him. :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

new conures make me happier than anything else in this thread :kimchi:

(wtf firefox, you still don't recognize conure as a word? get the gently caress outta heah)

Antoine, all you need to do to have a velcro bird is give him love, attention, and scritches. The more time spent with him the better: even if you aren't focused on him specifically, letting him cuddle against your neck or hand while you gently caress around on your computer will make him very happy. Talk to him a lot, respect his boundaries, but don't show fear or anxiety if he bites you. GCCs are on the nippy side, they think they're total badasses when they're really just tiny fluffy love sponges.

Soylent, Ozzie is adorable and handsome and I want to give him chinrubs. :3:

zbeezy, yeah, sounds like puberty to me. I'm glad he was a good bird today, and eagerly await velcro birb pictures!! The next few months might be rough, but as long as you continue to be patient and loving he will go back to being an adorable poo poo machine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Reposting from reddit: http://imgur.com/a/Ho7JI

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

The longer I hang out here the more I want a bird :c Or someone who owns a bird to live near me and let me visit frequently that would be ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Antoine, all you need to do to have a velcro bird is give him love, attention, and scritches. The more time spent with him the better: even if you aren't focused on him specifically, letting him cuddle against your neck or hand while you gently caress around on your computer will make him very happy. Talk to him a lot, respect his boundaries, but don't show fear or anxiety if he bites you. GCCs are on the nippy side, they think they're total badasses when they're really just tiny fluffy love sponges.

Good to know! I definitely plan on letting him chill out with me at my desk and will give him lots of love and attention. Bites don't really worry me, although I've heard (in this thread and other places) that you should "discipline" your GCC if they bite you by placing them on the ground? I know that hitting and screaming at them is a big no no (and I couldn't if I wanted to, look at that face), but does the ground thing work? Won't they just fly/climb up your leg or something?