Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'll notice the difference between 30 and 60, but I won't notice anything above 60. 60's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm in the camp that can't see the difference. It's weird how it's incredibly noticable for some people and just not at all for others.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Obviously we are split in two on this, so we should look to Comte for guidance

Well, Comte, Witcher you on

Diran
Jan 28, 2014

CottonWolf posted:

I'm in the camp that can't see the difference. It's weird how it's incredibly noticable for some people and just not at all for others.

You don't notice the difference even on something like site?

http://30vs60.com/

Orv
May 4, 2011

Diran posted:

You don't notice the difference even on something like site?

http://30vs60.com/

In direct comparison sure, but if a game starts out at 30 and has a stable framerate, it doesn't really matter. To me anyway, I can barely recognize 60FPS without comparisons like that.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Obviously we are split in two on this, so we should look to Comte for guidance

Well, Comte, Witcher you on

60 is far superior in every way. Anything below 30 makes me motion sick.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Honestly I just wanted to make the bad pun. I considered going wild with it and making even more, but I didn't want people to hunt me down and kill me in my sleep

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Manatee Cannon posted:

Honestly I just wanted to make the bad pun. I considered going wild with it and making even more, but I didn't want people to hunt me down and kill me in my sleep

make more

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I specifically chose three in reference to the number in the title

Orv
May 4, 2011
What is the Nilfgaardian stance on puns? I assume it's a hanging offense.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you want a Cirious answer, they like them. That's why, when you make bad jokes with them, they lower their Nilfgaard around you.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I can easily tell the difference between 60 and 90 or 120 myself, but I have a pretty good feeling that I'm not going to be pushing even 90fps with only a 970 in this game.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I can tell the difference, but I don't have a high-end gaming PC, and I'd rather play the PS4 version than no version.

Diran
Jan 28, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I can easily tell the difference between 60 and 90 or 120 myself, but I have a pretty good feeling that I'm not going to be pushing even 90fps with only a 970 in this game.

Same here but I'll be happy if my 7970 manages 60.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Diran posted:

Same here but I'll be happy if my 7970 manages 60.

Same. I bought second hand spare CPU in case my trusty i7-920 dies from overclocking.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I'm not a huge Angry Joe fan, but this preview shows a lot of neat stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJpWBMH9EtQ

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I'm not a huge Angry Joe fan, but this preview shows a lot of neat stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJpWBMH9EtQ

Don't watch that, he's the worst.
Embargo got lifted apparently, so there's a million previews now.
Everything looks awesome and my hype increased 100-fold.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

GrossMurpel posted:

Don't watch that, he's the worst.
Embargo got lifted apparently, so there's a million previews now.
Everything looks awesome and my hype increased 100-fold.

as much as I'm for them giving reviewers the chance to put their reviews out way in advance of the game releasing, it now means people waiting for the release on the 19th have to dodge all of the spoilers and videos showing quests and stuff in the game -.-

They should just push the release date up earlier

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

3 weeks. I guess I'll skip youtube. Game looks amazing, as expected.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

VoLaTiLe posted:

as much as I'm for them giving reviewers the chance to put their reviews out way in advance of the game releasing, it now means people waiting for the release on the 19th have to dodge all of the spoilers and videos showing quests and stuff in the game -.-

They should just push the release date up earlier

I watched like 15 minutes overall, spread out across several videos I skipped around in, because I want to experience as much on my own as possible. No one's forcing you to watch the entire prolog. :shrug:
I'm glad they aren't pushing up the release date, wouldn't want them to start rushing the game out now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm glad they aren't pushing up the release date, wouldn't want them to start rushing the game out now.

It's already printed. They're probably working on 0-day patches, but they should totally just give the game to us. :mad:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Here's one from a guy who rolls his "r" when he says "role" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94R0Ji39E68

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Here's one from a guy who rolls his "r" when he says "role"

You say that as if it's a bad thing. Rolled Rs are cool, man.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Anyone seen talks of bugs or performance issues or anything like that? This is really surprisingly early to drop the embargo, especially if they were given the entire game to play.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
In-game text is way too small, just like in W2. Hope there's an option for that.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Anyone seen talks of bugs or performance issues or anything like that? This is really surprisingly early to drop the embargo, especially if they were given the entire game to play.

The entire game, but in 2 six hour shifts, so the whole game isn't out to reviewers yet, these are just some "celebs" we brought out to look at it. We did the same with a bunch of journos too, IGN and gamespot had their embargos lifted over the past month already. I have no idea when the review embargo gets lifted.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I loving hate this new trend. We now give the earliest access to people who have the most obnoxious and idiotic "personalities" in the loving world who are both TERRIBLE at games and often have nothing but tangential exposure to a series just to drum up sales. The biggest selling point to these is the "will you just loving hand me the controller!?" principle in that they're so awful, so badly missing an obvious tutorial prompt or environmental cue, or just flat out trying to cram more of themselves in the video than the game that I NEED to buy the game NOW so when I have control I can show them how it's loving done. This alone is why Cities: Skylines sold over a million copies.

I understand why it's done. I know EXACTLY why this is how it works. But I loving hate it. I miss the days when gaming outlets attempted vaguely professional features on the early builds they received. That Gamespot bit with Danny recently was loving fantastic.

:goonsay:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

The entire game, but in 2 six hour shifts, so the whole game isn't out to reviewers yet, these are just some "celebs" we brought out to look at it.

Glad this is the case, I was thinking my slim chance of getting a review copy had become no chance. The PR guy I'm in touch with said this is one of the most-requested games they've ever handled. It's been pretty obvious that this would be a popular game, but that's a nice sign of the level of interest out there.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Perestroika posted:

For me it becomes most noticeable in shooters and the like where you're moving your field of view a lot and track moving targets. Just recently I've had the NVidia client "optimize" a some games which mostly boiled down to upping a number of settings, and for example in War Thunder tanks I've found it to be noticeably more cumbersome to accurately land a quick snap-shot at 35-40 fps than at the earlier 60+ fps. It's probably not gonna make a huge difference for The Witcher, though.

Edit: This is a pretty decent demonstration. Set one ball to 60 fps and the other to 30, disable motion blur, and you'll see a slight difference. It's not much, but in certain games it can make a bit of a difference, especially in overall feel.

The difference seems pretty big between 60 and 30 with no motion blur. But I suddenly get why people would want to turn motion blur on: motion-blurred-30 looks much closer to the 60fps version. At 60, it looks better to me without the motion blur, but it isn't very noticeable.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I loving hate this new trend. We now give the earliest access to people who have the most obnoxious and idiotic "personalities" in the loving world who are both TERRIBLE at games and often have nothing but tangential exposure to a series just to drum up sales. The biggest selling point to these is the "will you just loving hand me the controller!?" principle in that they're so awful, so badly missing an obvious tutorial prompt or environmental cue, or just flat out trying to cram more of themselves in the video than the game that I NEED to buy the game NOW so when I have control I can show them how it's loving done. This alone is why Cities: Skylines sold over a million copies.

I understand why it's done. I know EXACTLY why this is how it works. But I loving hate it. I miss the days when gaming outlets attempted vaguely professional features on the early builds they received. That Gamespot bit with Danny recently was loving fantastic.

Didn't South Park make fun of this?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Actually its cool getting idiots to play the game in normal conditions and the issues they run into instead of professionally shown off game segments that look really cool often don't accurately represent the game. Both ends of the spectrum are important, and you obviously know a bit about the spectrum.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

A literal chimp could play better than this fuckhead. It's painful to watch.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Any word on how good KB+M controls are yet?

Bardeh posted:

A literal chimp could play better than this fuckhead. It's painful to watch.

"Ooooh a noonwraith, let's meditate until midnight and it will be even spookier! I foresee no problems with this plan."

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Actually its cool getting idiots to play the game in normal conditions and the issues they run into instead of professionally shown off game segments that look really cool often don't accurately represent the game. Both ends of the spectrum are important, and you obviously know a bit about the spectrum.

I'll concede the point about "professional" play. Ubi game demonstrations are among the most eye-rollingly worst things I've seen because of how meticulously scripted and perfectly they present the game. And all the officially released gameplay videos for this are nice, but they're nearly as scripted and don't accurately represent the gameplay most of us will experience.

But I'd still prefer that to some idiot manchild faking heart-attack rage 4 teh lulz or another one falsetto screaming RAAAAAAAPE!!! whenever he's attacked. Hell, even Gamergate ethical champion Total Biscuit is hard for me to watch. :bahgawd:

e: v I am VERY OBVIOUSLY the exception since every one of these fucktards has millions of subscribers, but I feel if I have a hard to watching these people they're not selling your game well. I hate them and can't close the tab fast enough. Even for game's I'm excited about I'll avoid new and awesome coverage due to these idiots.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 27, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I don't much care for his channel or his character, but AngryJoe, at least in the video I just posted, actually did seem to get the game pretty quickly. He messed up his first hand of gwent, but *everyone* messes up the first hand of gwent.

EDIT: Missing that the noonwraith wasn't present at night would be pretty difficult if you don't know what a noonwraith is- and at that point in the quest you only know "there's a monster". It's easy to watch these guys and backseat drive them, but actually playing a game you've never played before (and a franchise you've never played before, for most) while simultaneously cracking jokes and trying to be entertaining (with a co-host) is not trivial.

EDIT2: The other joke here is that "OtherJoe" is bad at videogames.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 27, 2015

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Can you turn off any of the enemy health bars?

I don't really want to see levels and health bars of enemies popup like I'm grinding some MMO.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fellblade posted:

I don't really want to see levels and health bars of enemies popup like I'm grinding some MMO.

I really liked all the gameplay UI options that Pillars of Eternity presented you with. That was good.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Fellblade posted:

How will you tell how much life they have left?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Drifter posted:

I really liked all the gameplay UI options that Pillars of Eternity presented you with. That was good.

I wish we could get font ligatures. Don't get me started on bighead mode.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

How will you tell how much life they have left?
Don't really care, honestly. It either has "too much" or "none".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The AngryJoe dudes actually realise their mistake pretty quickly, one of them reads the questlog and immediately realised that a noonwraith probably only comes out during the day.

• Locked thread