Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
My last cat had a good vocabulary no matter the tone of voice, was really bright, and was old enough when I found her that she could remember how rough life was before, and -- most of all -- actually gave a drat about what I thought.

Current cat, the bottle-raised ingrate, still hasn't caught on to the meanings of "out," "up," or "move" despite months of consistent use in routine, same-time-of-day situations with treat reinforcement or, in the case of "move" when he's practically walking on my feet and being a bitey collie wannabe, water bottle reinforcement. I think he probably knows, but gives no fucks.

As far as answering to his name, he is good at that. We live alone, though, so he thinks all words are for him and gets really pissy when I talk on the phone and pace. I'M RIGHT HERE WHY AREN'T YOU PICKING ME UP AND ACCEPTING FACE NUZZLES AND DROOLS? WANNA SEE WHAT A BEAR TRAP FEELS LIKE? DOESN'T MATTER- - DOING IT ANYWAY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

khy posted:

On the contrary, that cat is in sudden and imminent danger of KES. The only possible way to relieve the explosive pressure building up in that kitten even as we speak is MORE KITTEN PICTURES.

ask and ye shall receive. This one with the brother.

I will say that ever since she's starting recovering she's been a little...uh...derpy. She stronger now for sure, but still seems rather confused by everything. Her brother hops around her while she just kinda passively looks on curiously. I've also watched her just sit and stare blankly at a piece of cement for like an hour. Poor BigHead. So derpy.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

CHARLES posted:

ask and ye shall receive. This one with the brother.

I will say that ever since she's starting recovering she's been a little...uh...derpy. She stronger now for sure, but still seems rather confused by everything. Her brother hops around her while she just kinda passively looks on curiously. I've also watched her just sit and stare blankly at a piece of cement for like an hour. Poor BigHead. So derpy.

This post is :3: off the charts.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
So, I got Tiger spayed, vaccinated, and chipped yesterday :)

It was her first trip to the vet, and about an hour car ride, so she meowed and panted a bit, but she calmed down after a while. A friend of mine, with a cat of similar age, got his spayed the same day, but she has body armor and pain medication, while Tiger didn't get any of that, but seems none the worse for it. She has a tiny shaven bit with stitches, but the first thing she did when we got home was eat (albeit slowly, and groggily). She was a little pissed off at not having food that morning!

Today, she's already playing, and being her purring sweet self, and pretty much ignores the stitched part, so I'm glad everything went well :)

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Vampess posted:

So, I got Tiger spayed, vaccinated, and chipped yesterday :)

It was her first trip to the vet, and about an hour car ride, so she meowed and panted a bit, but she calmed down after a while. A friend of mine, with a cat of similar age, got his spayed the same day, but she has body armor and pain medication, while Tiger didn't get any of that, but seems none the worse for it. She has a tiny shaven bit with stitches, but the first thing she did when we got home was eat (albeit slowly, and groggily). She was a little pissed off at not having food that morning!

Today, she's already playing, and being her purring sweet self, and pretty much ignores the stitched part, so I'm glad everything went well :)

When I got my fatass cat neutered, I was amazed at first by how much he did not give a poo poo about no longer having balls. But then he'd dash between my legs as I was climbing down stairs and a bunch of other things like that which made me suspect he was acting nice while secretly trying to kill me.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010

Dalael posted:

When I got my fatass cat neutered, I was amazed at first by how much he did not give a poo poo about no longer having balls. But then he'd dash between my legs as I was climbing down stairs and a bunch of other things like that which made me suspect he was acting nice while secretly trying to kill me.

Haha, yeah. When we got back, she didn't want to be around us (normally she's always near me), but stared out of the window sleepily instead. I'm pretty sure she didn't like us (me & boyfriend) very much at that moment :P

But this morning she greeted me when I woke up, and flopped down on the bed while purring :)

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Vampess posted:

Haha, yeah. When we got back, she didn't want to be around us (normally she's always near me), but stared out of the window sleepily instead. I'm pretty sure she didn't like us (me & boyfriend) very much at that moment :P

But this morning she greeted me when I woke up, and flopped down on the bed while purring :)

You are most likely mistaken. She was probably climbing on to the bed to suffocate you in your sleep, but you woke up in time.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Neutering cats is highly efficient but I always feel like the procedure is slightly barbaric. And yeah they never give a gently caress as long as they can keep licking their nutsack.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Shnooks posted:

Neutering cats is highly efficient but I always feel like the procedure is slightly barbaric. And yeah they never give a gently caress as long as they can keep licking their nutsack.

Barbaric? How exactly is it barbaric, other than surgery just being a bit gruesome in general? I've always thought of not spaying/neutering as the less civilized viewpoint.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Yeah, I'm not seeing it. Safe surgical procedures make a civilization pretty advanced in my book. Although in my childhood village the only option* still was drowning kittens (or disposing of them in other fun ways). Now, as a mental exercise I can contemplate a time when we've made pills or even genetically engineered cats to not need neutering, which would go a long way in my granting us the status of a space civilization. :)

*Available, or considered - I don't know.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
HOOOLY gently caress! I thought we were building some kind of rapport with my cat on our daily walks in the carrier, and following the advice of a concerned dog walker and my personal thoughts as to what the next step should be, I put the carrier on the ground next to a lawn and opened it. Result - my left hand is a shredded bloody mess, not to mention less significant wounds elsewhere. At least the cat didn't manage to wriggle out of the leash during the horrific tantrum, although right now I couldn't care less if she did. Except somehow she got out of it in the carrier on the way home, and now I'm less sure of the leash's restraining power. Anyway, congratulations to me on a complete failure, I guess. Fortunately, I'm leaving tomorrow, and won't have any reminders of it for a week.

I reckon seeing a surgeon should be a bit of a priority, what do you think?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

supermikhail posted:

I reckon seeing a surgeon should be a bit of a priority, what do you think?

Sorry you had a rough time with your cat. Are you current on your tetanus vaccine? Anything need stitches? Have you been able to clean your wounds? Cat bites and scratches can get nasty due to infections.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Am I supposed to be tetanus-vaccinated? I convinced the doctor that my cat's been recently vaccinated, so she gave me just some antibiotics (+bandage). :ohdear:

For the record, I cleaned wounds that I was aware off right away with peroxide, and at the doctor's hopefully all the wounds that I had missed were treated with the iodine thing (depending on your local trade name). No stitches. I should be okay, right?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Not a doctor but just keep an eye out for any that end up looking uglier than you would expect from a healing wound, especially if there's significant nastiness coming out of it or you notice redness or other weird visual symptoms that worsen instead of improve over the next few days. Last thing to be aware of is fever or swelling of lymph nodes. In all likelihood though you're probably fine and things should heal up okay, but the fact you had to go to a doctor to deal with cat scratches is a little worrisome.

Cats are pretty clean animals but their claws are nasty and you should make your best efforts to not get shredded by them for reasons outside of the obvious pain and bloodshed.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

hoobajoo posted:

Barbaric? How exactly is it barbaric, other than surgery just being a bit gruesome in general? I've always thought of not spaying/neutering as the less civilized viewpoint.

It's totally the right thing to do, it's just the procedure itself is gross. Like you make a little cut on their scrotum, pop the testes out, rip them out, then use the vas deferens to tie to together with some surgical gut. The end.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Cat bites are also terrible, my mother spent three days in hospital last year because our cat bit her (which wasn't the cat's fault really, she's always been terrified at the vet and she growled and growled and gave tons of warning before she bit). I think basically any deep wound caused by fangs or claws is something you ideally want treated at a hospital where they have the really good antibiotics, so definitely keep an eye on everything to make sure it doesn't stay red and inflamed.

Am I opening a can of worms by asking why you were putting your cat in a carrier and walking around with it on a regular basis?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

supermikhail posted:

Am I supposed to be tetanus-vaccinated? I convinced the doctor that my cat's been recently vaccinated, so she gave me just some antibiotics (+bandage). :ohdear:

For the record, I cleaned wounds that I was aware off right away with peroxide, and at the doctor's hopefully all the wounds that I had missed were treated with the iodine thing (depending on your local trade name). No stitches. I should be okay, right?

In the future, skip the peroxide. It fizzes and bubbles but doesn't actually kill germs, and can lead to longer heal times and more prominent scarring. (Everyone uses it because their grandma did, and its effectiveness is an old wive's tale.) You'd be better off washing it thoroughly with hot water and soap.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Shnooks posted:

It's totally the right thing to do, it's just the procedure itself is gross. Like you make a little cut on their scrotum, pop the testes out, rip them out, then use the vas deferens to tie to together with some surgical gut. The end.

That's a weird use of the word barbaric, then. Barbaric implies uncivilized, or a general denouncement of the subject, you should probably use a word like 'gruesome" instead, so people don't think you're down on neutering.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Is there any goon-approved stinky food to attract a cat with a low appetite?

Content: our cat has lost a bit of weight recently, like over the space of a few months. It's not that she's not eating at all, she is (we checked by weighing her food bowl), but she's clearly not eating enough. She's always been a bit of a picky eater, she likes fresh bags of kibble, she prefers some brands and flavors over others but gets bored with flavors, and when you mix them in her bowl she'll delicately pick out the kibble she likes better. We've tried every food she's liked in the past to help halt this weight loss and all of them are met with a lukewarm response. She also doesn't generally understand wet food is food, though I'm willing to give that another go if there's a type that might get her to eat. She's not scary-skinny or anything like that, but I wouldn't want her to lose any more weight. We have a vet visit for Saturday (she needs a rabies booster anyway) but I'd love to know if there's a type of food I can get that will make her psyched to eat again.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nicol Bolas posted:

Content: our cat has lost a bit of weight recently, like over the space of a few months. It's not that she's not eating at all, she is (we checked by weighing her food bowl), but she's clearly not eating enough. She's always been a bit of a picky eater, she likes fresh bags of kibble, she prefers some brands and flavors over others but gets bored with flavors, and when you mix them in her bowl she'll delicately pick out the kibble she likes better. We've tried every food she's liked in the past to help halt this weight loss and all of them are met with a lukewarm response. She also doesn't generally understand wet food is food, though I'm willing to give that another go if there's a type that might get her to eat. She's not scary-skinny or anything like that, but I wouldn't want her to lose any more weight. We have a vet visit for Saturday (she needs a rabies booster anyway) but I'd love to know if there's a type of food I can get that will make her psyched to eat again.

Vets have appetite stimulants and high-cal pet food available. Talk to him/her about it and you should get fixed right up.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Please let your vet know about your cat not eating as much. As for smelly food, try wet food if you haven't already. I get pate because otherwise my snooty cats will just eat the gravy and leave the chunks or shreds. (Assholes :argh:!) Once, my old cat quit eating secondary to a respiratory infection, and the vet gave us a tube of amino acid stuff she really liked. Might help you out if an exam is inconclusive.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I could also use a bit of advice regarding one my cats. I have known for a while that he is too fat and something needs to be done about it. A few weeks ago, I decided to weigh him and was horrified at the fact that he was 20 pounds. I have since changed his food to a much higher quality (or at least, that is what I was told) which is for weight loss and control the quantities. I bought him a few toys including a laser pointer to have him exercise more. After about 40$ of toys that he is all scared of, I realized that the only thing that will actually get him to play is a 5 cents hair elastic that my gf dropped on the floor and forgot to pick up. He's super active with that thing, throwing it around and chasing it like it will be his last meal ever.

I weighed him again this morning and he hasn't lost one pound. Any thoughts? I'm going to be taking him to the vet soon but my appointment is not for a little while. In the meantime, I'd like someone else's opinion on what I can do to get him to shed some of that weight, other than chasing him around the house to get him to run it off.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Right, the vet visit is mostly to talk about her weight / appetite. She generally is confused / uninterested in wet food, but we've only tried it a handful of times, so I'm kinda looking for a brand / flavor / type recommendation that has worked to get other cats with appetite issues to chow down. I'd take her licking all the gravy off chunks at this point.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Dalael posted:

I could also use a bit of advice regarding one my cats. I have known for a while that he is too fat and something needs to be done about it. A few weeks ago, I decided to weigh him and was horrified at the fact that he was 20 pounds. I have since changed his food to a much higher quality (or at least, that is what I was told) which is for weight loss and control the quantities. I bought him a few toys including a laser pointer to have him exercise more. After about 40$ of toys that he is all scared of, I realized that the only thing that will actually get him to play is a 5 cents hair elastic that my gf dropped on the floor and forgot to pick up. He's super active with that thing, throwing it around and chasing it like it will be his last meal ever.

I weighed him again this morning and he hasn't lost one pound. Any thoughts? I'm going to be taking him to the vet soon but my appointment is not for a little while. In the meantime, I'd like someone else's opinion on what I can do to get him to shed some of that weight, other than chasing him around the house to get him to run it off.

If it's only been a few weeks, I wouldn't expect huge results. It's not healthy for a very fat cat to drop a lot of weight suddenly. Weaning down portion sizes and encouraging playtime is probably your best bet. Ask your vet what his ideal weight should be and check the catfood container for serving suggestions for that size of a cat.

Nicol Bolas posted:

Right, the vet visit is mostly to talk about her weight / appetite. She generally is confused / uninterested in wet food, but we've only tried it a handful of times, so I'm kinda looking for a brand / flavor / type recommendation that has worked to get other cats with appetite issues to chow down. I'd take her licking all the gravy off chunks at this point.

Blue buffalo does little pouches of food meant to put on top of dry kibble to encourage eating. My cat Ozma won't eat food from cans - have you tried a few different brands, maybe plastic cup/pouch style containers?

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."

Organza Quiz posted:

Am I opening a can of worms by asking why you were putting your cat in a carrier and walking around with it on a regular basis?

For the record, I've been getting my cat used to being carried in the carrier, semi-successfully - she only complained half the way to the vet this time (and she doesn't, or rather, didn't* complain about being put into it, or leaving the house).

*I'm feeling rather... disappointed, and perhaps betrayed, to see a bright future in continuing this exercise. :(

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Nicol Bolas posted:

I buy Fussie Cat chicken variety cans on Amazon. Luther didn't quite get the appeal of moist food before and loves this stuff. He's never been a fanatic about fish flavors, so I haven't tried those yet. The reviews (when I last read them months ago) were glowing about converting picky eaters. Luther will still pick out the sweet potatoes and other veg with surgical precision, but I'm sure he must eat some of them on accident.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
After the horrific fight last week between our kitten (who got the worst of it ) and our shy but grown cat, I got a feliway diffuser. I plugged it in on Thursday or Friday, and I may be seeing things, but it seems to actually be working already. It went from about 2-3 growls a day to maybe one growl a day (the kitten growls when the other cat pays attention to it) and no fights. In fact one time the older cat batted playfully at the kitten and the kitten just moved away without growling or anything. Does feliway make cats friendly? If it runs out, do the cats hate each other again?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Anyone have recommendations for flea shampoo for cats? My roommates dog has them too so we have to hit them both at the same time. Fun.

Chessna
Dec 24, 2008
I have three cats, ages 10-13 and are all healthy. But I am soon moving 18 hours away and am planning on driving there with them in cat carriers. They've been on 6 hour car trips before and handle it alright, one of them occasionally gets sick and vomits and can sometimes drool, which I know is a bad thing. I've put the AC on her the last few times and she's done much better (she is slightly overweight if that makes a big difference and also is always a little anxious). Another one I can tell is just kind of miserable the entire trip. The third seems to just be more curious than frightened. My concern with this trip is:

-Much longer trip, we're planning on stopping overnight at a hotel, but then they have the added stress of getting back into the carriers the next day.
-Lots of elevation changes and curvy roads.
-They will be exposed to a lot of new things (hotel, road, new house, new roommate) in a very short period of time and are not great with change.
-I usually stop feeding them after 5pm the night before a trip, I'm afraid they won't eat at all at the hotel and that will leave them having no food for 24+ hours.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make the trip easier on them? I've thought about going to the vet to get something to calm them, but I haven't been to the vet in the town I currently live in.

Dalael posted:

My sister's cat was 20lbs and the vet put him on diet food/exercise regime and told us that losing 1lb in 3 months was a good rate. If you think about it, a 20lb animal losing 1lb is 5% of their body weight, so it's like a 200lb person losing 10lbs.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Chessna posted:

My sister's cat was 20lbs and the vet put him on diet food/exercise regime and told us that losing 1lb in 3 months was a good rate. If you think about it, a 20lb animal losing 1lb is 5% of their body weight, so it's like a 200lb person losing 10lbs.

That does make a lot of sense. I guess I was expecting too much change too fast. I was hoping to at least see a slight difference (I would have been happy with 1 pound) but he's at the exact same weight. I threw a bunch more hair elastic on the ground in the hopes that he exercise more and so far he's going nuts with them. I've also decided I would try and get him to run around the house a bit more, but I have not yet found a way to do so that does not stress the gently caress out of him, so I have given up on that idea until I find some way to do so without scaring the poo poo out of him. I want a healthy cat, not one that is stressed out and needs the equivalent of chain smoking to calm down.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Dalael posted:

That does make a lot of sense. I guess I was expecting too much change too fast. I was hoping to at least see a slight difference (I would have been happy with 1 pound) but he's at the exact same weight. I threw a bunch more hair elastic on the ground in the hopes that he exercise more and so far he's going nuts with them. I've also decided I would try and get him to run around the house a bit more, but I have not yet found a way to do so that does not stress the gently caress out of him, so I have given up on that idea until I find some way to do so without scaring the poo poo out of him. I want a healthy cat, not one that is stressed out and needs the equivalent of chain smoking to calm down.

I don't know much about the imperial system, but surely you have a smaller unit of measurement for weight than the pound? Like I would have thought there would be quite a lot of room between "hasn't lost 1 pound" and "is exactly the same weight".

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Organza Quiz posted:

I don't know much about the imperial system, but surely you have a smaller unit of measurement for weight than the pound? Like I would have thought there would be quite a lot of room between "hasn't lost 1 pound" and "is exactly the same weight".

My scale uses decimal (units of 0.10). He was 20.2 pounds when I weighted him the first time something like 2 or 3 weeks back. When I weighted him again he was still 20.2 pounds. Its possible that he has lost some weight, but if he did it, its not enough to register on that scale.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

an skeleton posted:

Anyone have recommendations for flea shampoo for cats? My roommates dog has them too so we have to hit them both at the same time. Fun.

Call your vet, ask what flea drops they recommend to make sure you get ones that work in your area. Then either buy from them or the internet or whatever, whatever gets them the fastest. Tell your roommate to get the dog on drops or oral meds too. Keep all pets on preventive drops. Treating pets is easy, getting rid of an infestation in your house is different story. You're gonna be vacuuming and doing laundry. A lot.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Basic information - 2 cats, litter mates

- Sex: both female
- How long have you had your cat? since kittens
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Both spayed
- When was your last vet visit? February 2014
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors
- How many pets in your household? Just the 2 cats
- How many litter boxes do you have? 1

We're having issues with one cat suddenly acting rather aggressively towards her sister, and sometimes to people we have over as well. The main issue seems to be when she sees other cats in the backyard. We moved to this place back in November, and every place we've been before has been in a place where even when she looks out the window its an area where there are never other cats. Now that the weather is nicer and there are more cats outside, it's just getting worse. It's not even just if her sister gets too close to her, she seems to be actively seeking her out in order to growl/hiss and smack her around. It's especially bad in the middle of the night and/or early morning. I was woken up 3 times last night by her chasing her sister into hiding under our bed.

It's especially concerning because it's the complete opposite of what their personalities used to be like. She was always the shy, nervous one who would seclude herself in another room if people were over. Now she'll proudly sit on her cat tree and swipe at people's heads for no reason when they walk by (not often, but sometimes when she's in a particularly bad mood). We have one of the Feliway plug-ins from when we first moved (she was especially aggressive the first few weeks then, and I thought the problem had gone away now that she's more comfortable) so we're going to get a refill and see if that helps at all. Does anyone have any other suggestions or possible explanations as to why she's acting this way?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
My sweet kitten has arthritis :( I want her to be comfortable but the vet bills are killing me. $90 to walk in the door and then more for the 30 day supply of drugs. I get that cats are allergic to human OTC drugs and I love my cat more than the ~$6/day these drugs are costing me but there has to be an easier way. Can I go to CanadaRX like a human being and get cheap generics? Are there things like renal issues I should be worried about?

I'm fine paying it but I do feel like a bit of a sucker every time I shell out another $150.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Does anyone have any other suggestions or possible explanations as to why she's acting this way?

Redirected aggression! http://www.cathospitalofchicago.com/online-cat-health-library/feline-redirected-aggression

Cats are dumb as gently caress and take out their frustration over seeing intruders on fellow members of the household. :downs:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Shbobdb posted:

My sweet kitten has arthritis :( I want her to be comfortable but the vet bills are killing me. $90 to walk in the door and then more for the 30 day supply of drugs. I get that cats are allergic to human OTC drugs and I love my cat more than the ~$6/day these drugs are costing me but there has to be an easier way. Can I go to CanadaRX like a human being and get cheap generics? Are there things like renal issues I should be worried about?

I'm fine paying it but I do feel like a bit of a sucker every time I shell out another $150.

See if you can get a 120 day supply. For some of my cat's drugs, the price drops off to pennies for extra doses once I have made the original order. I order them online through Diamondback Drugs and Union Ave Compounding.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I brought a dog home Monday.
The two cats have had dogs come over before with little to no events.

Introductions went as expected one cat gave no fucks and is actively engaged in sniffing and metting the dog. the other cat runs away and stares with an occaisonal hiss.

All in all going pretty well with the exception of last night.
One cat sleeps with me, and now so is the dog. I gave the cat the first night off/out of the bedroom to make sure the dog wasn't too big of an issue.

I usually let the cat in then close the door to keep the other (more likely to make a mess) cat out.

I did the usual last night, went to bed, let the cat in, she curled up in here usual place on the pillow next to my head and the dog down next to my thigh.

This morning, minutes before my alarm goes off, An poo poo on my laundry pile.

Was this a gently caress YOU FOR PUTTING A DOG IN HERE WITH ME?

If so, which of the following is the best course of action:

A) move/buy ANOTHER litterbox specifically for my bedroom? (she's never messed outside of a hairball during the overnight hours before)
B) Kick the cat out forevermore?
C) leave the door open so both cats and dog can come and go freely, and hope the other cat plays nice with my carpets/sheets?

Picture tax: This was within hours of the dog coming home from the shelter:

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

SynthOrange posted:

Redirected aggression! http://www.cathospitalofchicago.com/online-cat-health-library/feline-redirected-aggression

Cats are dumb as gently caress and take out their frustration over seeing intruders on fellow members of the household. :downs:

Well that's good news and bad news I guess. At least her episodes never seem to last more than about 10 mins, but if the Feliway doesn't help then I have no idea how to go about blocking her view from a sliding glass door. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good News Everyone
Apr 30, 2009
Hey guys!

I can't find the old cat nutrition megathread, possibly because I'm a huge dumb and didn't look hard enough, so I'll post my conundrum here.

I recently (3 weeks ago) adopted a 7 year old ginger male catte from a shelter. He's an absolutely lovely boy; very vocal, smoochy, and the most relaxed catte I've ever met. When I introduced him to my housemate's catte (a Nebelung) there was a little bit of opera singing and that was it. No hissing, no swiping, nothing. It was amazing. Now they are wrestle buddies and it's great.

My problem is Castiel, Cas' (yes I am a nerd shut up) dry food. The shelter gave me Science Diet and I bought a small bag because we all know how good Science Diet is, and I intended to swap his food over. I bought a bag of Artemis grain free dry food, salmon flavour, based on the nutritional table (35 percent protein etc) and mixed a tablespoon full into his dry food. He immediately lost interest in the food altogether. I waited it out, but he would just not eat the dry food and would wait for dinner time, when he gets half a can of Applaws shredded chicken in broth, which he is mental for.

So I scrapped the Artemis (turns out Jarl, the Nebelung, thinks it's the poo poo so that's fine) and bought a bag of Iams instead, chicken flavour. Not the best food, I know, but protein and fat content were still good. Again, nope. He'd eat like, five kibbles during the day and that's it. So I scrapped the Iams and went back to feeding him Science Diet, but now he's lost interest in that, too.

I caught him eating Jarl's Advance food which is chicken flavour and decent too, grain free, 35 percent protein, so I've ordered a small bag of that and a small bag of Applaws 'it's all good' 50 percent meat dry food in the hopes that he takes to one of them.

Does anyone have any advice here? Should I just ditch the idea of a dry diet completely and give him a can of Applaws in the morning/evening? He's approaching his twilight kitty years and I want to make sure he has the best he can have. Every time I go near his food bowls he starts meowing and I'm like, there's food there you used to eat!

Just a note -- Jarl and Cas' food is separate; Cas' food is upstairs and Jarl's is downstairs so I don't think it's a territory thing.

Edit: Sorry, pictures of the kitties.

Cas

Jarl

Good News Everyone fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 29, 2015