Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

chitoryu12 posted:

So if someone in Russia put up, say, a POSP scope for sale online, it's perfectly fine to buy it and have it mailed over here? What about if I were to sell someone in Russia a Leupold scope? Assuming nothing but private individuals making transactions.

Red Alliance has a LOT of guys selling what's purported to be real helmets and body armor, usually for huge markup like $500+ for just an Eastern European Kevlar vest.

for exporting the scope...it depends. It could be ITAR or EAR controlled depending on the specs (the manufacturer would likely know the USML cat. or ECCN for the scope) Regardless no rifle scope is "EAR99" (meaning not really facing many export controls). Technical the rifle scope would require a license or a license exemption (or exception if EAR). One rifle scope? probably not worth the effort to prosecute you. But all rifle scopes are controlled for export.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Here rifle scopes controlled under the ITAR:

121.1, Category I, (f) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications (See category XII(c) for controls on night sighting devices.)

all other rifle scopes are controlled under the EAR:

Commerce Control List (CCL), Supplement No. 1 to Part 774, 0A987 (ECCN) - Optical sighting devices for firearms

both face potential export controls that if you were to export them it would be your responsibility to over come.

do not gently caress around with shipping gun parts overseas unless you know what you are doing. It does not matter if this is a private non military sale.

ITAR has "higher" jurisdiction than the EAR, so the ITAR is your first check. Notice how the ITAR says manufactured to military specifications, so it is possible for a civilian company making a purely civilian hunting scope for civilians, and have that rifle scope being subject to the ITAR.

Vork!Vork!Vork! fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 23, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

do not gently caress around with shipping gun parts overseas unless you know what you are doing

It's likely you'll never get hosed over for shipping commerical, off-the-shelf products overseas.

However, if you ever find yourself so hard up for cash that you're thinking of shipping something even remotely ITAR/EAR noncompliant overseas, rethink your life and stop buying fancypants optics and poo poo. The odds of getting hemmed up may be small, but the amount of liability is rather large. The Bureaucrats who will ruin your life don't care that we've probably handed out those parts in droves to bad guys recently.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

It's likely you'll never get hosed over for shipping commerical, off-the-shelf products overseas.

I disagree, most AR-15 parts are subject to the ITAR, the BIS can and will go after you for exporting them. One off shipments? no they probably will not, but why risk it?

Example: http://www.strtrade.com/news-publications-export-privileges-denied-Honduras-rifle-parts-052014.html

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

I disagree, most AR-15 parts are subject to the ITAR, the BIS can and will go after you for exporting them. One off shipments? no they probably will not, but why risk it?

I guess I haven't researched the rate with which they go after people, but my point stands: It's one of those things where you might hear 10 stories of people selling ITAR poo poo without issue, but you never, ever want to be the one unlucky rear end in a top hat that gets wrecked by ITAR.

edit:

hahaha, why is that bulletin so loving vague?

"a guy got in trouble, fear me!"

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Nebakenezzer posted:

Oh, right, I've heard about this. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm amazed a government guy of all people decided he was above those rules.

Haha, I wish it was a rare occurrence.

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

Example: http://www.strtrade.com/news-publications-export-privileges-denied-Honduras-rifle-parts-052014.html

This. Don't gently caress around, it gets ugly fast.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

Here rifle scopes controlled under the ITAR:

121.1, Category I, (f) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications (See category XII(c) for controls on night sighting devices.)

all other rifle scopes are controlled under the EAR:

Commerce Control List (CCL), Supplement No. 1 to Part 774, 0A987 (ECCN) - Optical sighting devices for firearms

both face potential export controls that if you were to export them it would be your responsibility to over come.

do not gently caress around with shipping gun parts overseas unless you know what you are doing. It does not matter if this is a private non military sale.

ITAR has "higher" jurisdiction than the EAR, so the ITAR is your first check. Notice how the ITAR says manufactured to military specifications, so it is possible for a civilian company making a purely civilian hunting scope for civilians, and have that rifle scope being subject to the ITAR.

Is any sale overseas between parties legally an export for these purposes?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
My father's law firm was involved in an ITAR case where some US company was exporting lovely Chinese-made airsoft sights to some third country, I think somewhere in Europe. Even though they were totally unfit for use on real firearms and made in China, which of course freely exports them anywhere, the feds tried to nail them for it. I don't remember what the outcome of the case was.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

My father's law firm was involved in an ITAR case where some US company was exporting lovely Chinese-made airsoft sights to some third country, I think somewhere in Europe. Even though they were totally unfit for use on real firearms and made in China, which of course freely exports them anywhere, the feds tried to nail them for it. I don't remember what the outcome of the case was.

Mortabis' dad makes money defending companies exporting illegal, lovely, Chinese products to European terrorists, heard it here first!

I'm at least 1/5 joking, Mortabis.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I guess I haven't researched the rate with which they go after people, but my point stands: It's one of those things where you might hear 10 stories of people selling ITAR poo poo without issue, but you never, ever want to be the one unlucky rear end in a top hat that gets wrecked by ITAR.

edit:

hahaha, why is that bulletin so loving vague?

"a guy got in trouble, fear me!"

Yeah rates are unknown for prosecution. Gun parts probably get exported all the time with out being caught. If it was just a mistake of somebody not knowing the law and shipping a small amount, customs would probably just seize it.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Is any sale overseas between parties legally an export for these purposes?

depends...If you as a US Person are handling the transaction then that could be considered brokering (also subject to the ITAR) and faces regulations

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For the record, I have nothing for sale. I'm mostly a purchaser of surplus and modern gear, some of which comes from Eastern Europe and Russia.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

For the record, I have nothing for sale. I'm mostly a purchaser of surplus and modern gear, some of which comes from Eastern Europe and Russia.

for the record I did not offer any legal advice for complying to US export regulations

:ghost:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

My favorite ITAR violation is that it's apparently illegal to let a non-US citizen even look through a Gen 3 night vision device. You don't have to export it. You don't have to sell it to them inside the US. Just let them look through it.

http://www.nighthunter.com/category_s/1835.htm
http://tnvc.com/faq/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Craptacular posted:

My favorite ITAR violation is that it's apparently illegal to let a non-US citizen even look through a Gen 3 night vision device. You don't have to export it. You don't have to sell it to them inside the US. Just let them look through it.

http://www.nighthunter.com/category_s/1835.htm
http://tnvc.com/faq/

Unless they're helping us kill tewwowists.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Presumably the SAS has a a license exemption for... a lot of things.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

hannibal posted:

It's always fun hearing what the govvies say when contractors are not around. I've been in too many meetings where someone asks if any contractors are in the room. (Working for an FFRDC makes that a complicated question to answer since not everyone understands the difference)

We actually have the opposite problem...we include the contractor on way too much poo poo.

But like I've said previously, I live in bizarro acquisitions land. Deploy a system operationally before Milestone B? Sounds legit. Treat things like "CPD threshold values" and "Statutory requirements" more like suggestions? Totally normal.

Tremblay posted:

Haha, I wish it was a rare occurrence.

lol yeah I was gonna say, it actually surprises me the least that it was a gov dude

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Unless they're helping us kill tewwowists.

This is actually the running joke for why we don't follow any of the rules (as laid out above.)

"9/11, terrorists, saving arms and limbs from IEDs, American freedom*"

* All of these capabilities we're developing in the name of the previously mentioned stuff may or may not work, that's not actually what's important

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

iyaayas01 posted:

We actually have the opposite problem...we include the contractor on way too much poo poo.

But like I've said previously, I live in bizarro acquisitions land. Deploy a system operationally before Milestone B? Sounds legit. Treat things like "CPD threshold values" and "Statutory requirements" more like suggestions? Totally normal.

At least you get to deploy systems, it seems like everything I work on is stuck in development hell for years, if it's even following a shred of JCIDS. It's always a breath of fresh air to go do some work on the ops side every so often.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Presumably the SAS has a a license exemption for... a lot of things.

The UK has tried to get an ITAR waiver (like Canada has) multiple times, to no avail. Wikipedia makes it sounds like it's just one dude in Congress who keeps blocking them over and over.

But yeah, foreign militaries are usually allowed to procure lots of ITAR controlled goods. Just have to do loads of paper work. Similarly the civilian sector uses ITAR controlled IMUs for lots of stuff, you just need the right permits before anyone can sell to you. Military GPS on the other hand...

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 24, 2015

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Apollo 13, we have a solution.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/04/apollo-13-the-mistakes-the-explosion-and-six-hours-of-live-saving-decisions/ is much shorter but also pretty good.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Regarding Gene Kranz:

The article posted:

The rule vesting ultimate authority in the flight director during a mission...

:v:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

The Bob Legler piece of the story really raises a good point about continuity and the idea that everyone at the same rank/level is equivalent, regardless of actual skillset (relevant to the US military personnel system)

I'm just bitter because I'm being PCS'd out of a job I'm a) really good at and b) actually enjoy, to go somewhere else that has no relevance to my professional knowledge or what I'm interested in, because "officer professional development."

Oh well, I'll come back here in a bit once the Guard hooks me up.

Also that was a really good article.

Also also

Set SCE to aux

Steely-eyed missile man

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Wikipedia makes it sounds like it's just one dude in Congress who keeps blocking them over and over.

To be fair, a few guys in Congress are old enough that a few might've remembered fighting against them damned Redcoats in 1812. :bahgawd:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

To be fair, a few guys in Congress are old enough that a few might've remembered fighting against them damned Redcoats in 1812. :bahgawd:

...and the White House before it was white.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I kid, of course.

...even back then their fathers got them deferments.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

I'm just bitter because I'm being PCS'd out of a job I'm a) really good at and b) actually enjoy, to go somewhere else that has no relevance to my professional knowledge or what I'm interested in, because "officer professional development."

At this rate we'll never make flag rank on the forums :(

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I still have a T-shirt somewhere that was once illegal to export thanks to PGP being classified as a weapon back in the '90s.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Smiling Jack posted:

I still have a T-shirt somewhere that was once illegal to export thanks to PGP being classified as a weapon back in the '90s.

Cryptography is still export controlled under EAR with similar restrictions as missile parts and nuclear technology. There are exemptions that make it less severe than it was in the 90s, but there are a number of fun ways to commit inadvertent federal felonies.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Shot down Scud

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I was genuinely unaware that Patriots had downed any scuds at all in GW1. Was it just that one battery at the barracks that had been left running too long?

Alot of people genuinely seem to be under the impression that no scuds at all were intercepted, which doesnt seem right at all.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 26, 2015

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The low quality of the video equipment used to record Patriot launches combined with the poor quality of Iraqi Scuds lead to a whole lot of inconclusive data. The loving scuds were falling apart of their own accord in many cases, so the debris was examined to look for signs that it had been hit by a Patriot. But even scuds with Patriot damage are hard to guess whether they were actually downed by the Patriot.

Add the political side of things, where it was very much in the interest of HW and the US Military to claim the highest possible success rate, and very much in the interest of HW's detractors and Israel to claim the Patriot was a useless piece of garbage that didn't do anything.. the numbers are pretty foggy all around.

It probably hit a few during the first Gulf War.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dandywalken posted:

I was genuinely unaware that Patriots had downed any scuds at all in GW1. Was it just that one battery at the barracks that had been left running too long?

Alot of people genuinely seem to be under the impression that no scuds at all were intercepted, which doesnt seem right at all.

From earlier in the thread:

mlmp08 posted:

A few words about a some events people always seem to ask about-

What was up with the terrible performance during the Gulf War?
The ability to shoot down ballistic missiles had only recently been added and hadn't been properly tested. During the Gulf War, Patriot batteries had great success with mission kills, which are defined as a hit which knocks the missile off its intended trajectory. It had awful warhead kills, which would be actually destroying the warhead. A mission kill is well and good if trying to destroy a missile which is highly accurate and aimed at a small target. It is very bad if defending against inaccurate TBMs (we were) aimed at very large targets (they were). PAC-3 was around for OIF and resulted in 9 warhead kills out of 9 TBMs engaged. It also downed 2 friendlies. Incidentally, the PAC-3 is not as good against air breathing threats as the PAC-2 family and below.

Additionally, even among PAC-2 missiles, not all are equally good against TBMs. The modern PAC-2 that we use for TBMs has various upgrades. I'll quote this snippet straight from Raytheon's website so as to ensure I'm not accidentally being Very Stupid and letting slip something high side:

Raytheon's Web Site posted:

Guidance Enhanced Missile TBM (GEM-T) is the latest in-production series of the highly successful Raytheon Patriot missile variants available to both U.S. forces and international customers. GEM-T deliveries to the U.S. Army began in 2006. This capability adds a low-noise oscillator for improved acquisition and tracking performance in clutter. The GEM-T missile provides an upgraded capability to defeat tactical ballistic missile (TBM), aircraft and cruise missile threats in complement to the PAC-3 missile.

A modernized digital fuze design eliminates obsolescence and introduces significant performance improvements against TBM targets. This design also increases sensitivity for improved performance against high-speed TBM targets. The low noise front end (LNFE) of the GEM-T has increased seeker sensitivity, improving acquisition/track performance. The new low noise oscillator design has a modified down-link, which provides an increased signal to interference ratio, improving acquisition/ track performance against small ABT and cruise missile targets in clutter.

The GEM variants were combat proven in Operation Iraqi Freedom. In 2003, the U.S. and coalition Patriot units were deployed throughout the CENTCOM region to protect forces and populations from the threat of ballistic missiles. The improvements developed and fielded since 1991 reflect the enhanced capabilities of Patriot to protect against threats to both static assets and forces in the attack. The Configuration-3 ground equipment, PAC-3 and GEM-T series of missiles are all combat proven.

Dr. Postol will tell you this is all bullshit and lies and smoke and mirrors, but I will tell you that he's a loving hack.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 26, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought one of the big problems with the percentages was that it was a per missile statistic. This would be horrible because they launched four or more at each incoming contact and had no way to tell whether one or more missiles hit the target. This means that 25% would be the max score based on hits/weapons launched.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought one of the big problems with the percentages was that it was a per missile statistic. This would be horrible because they launched four or more at each incoming contact and had no way to tell whether one or more missiles hit the target. This means that 25% would be the max score based on hits/weapons launched.

That too. Plus you had a combination of crew skill and system limitations that resulted in firing a lot of interceptors up at clouds of debris and shrapnel, targeting spurious or misclassified tracks.

And sometimes partner nations decided that when the US said we had the target, they'd go ahead and fire anyway. Often, more than one fire unit may be capable of engaging a target, but there's an optimal system for each engagement. Much of this is handled automatically, but when you can't link in with partner nations for security and software/hardware reasons it's a pain.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Currently making the rounds on tumblr:

Wikipedia posted:

In October 1965, to highlight the dropping of the six millionth pound of ordnance, Commander Clarence J. Stoddard of Attack Squadron 25 (VA-25), flying an A-1H, dropped a special, one-time-only object in addition to his other munitions – a toilet

Would've been funnier if they'd dropped a double-bowl sink, but I guess you take what you can get when you're on an aircraft carrier.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The toilet earned a Battle E

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
The pilot earned a Purple Fart.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Scratch Monkey posted:

The toilet earned a Battle E

Taco night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Delivery McGee posted:

Currently making the rounds on tumblr:

Would've been funnier if they'd dropped a double-bowl sink, but I guess you take what you can get when you're on an aircraft carrier.

Your wish is granted:

This was back in Korea (toilet was Vietnam). This came from a meeting with the press where the VA-195 XO remarked "we dropped everything on them but the kitchen sink." As soon as the JOPA got ahold of that quote...

Incidentally, VA-195 (now VFA-195) has the nickname Dambusters. You can see why in this post.

On another note, this airs on PBS tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTWX-BB4aAA

It looks amazing. PBS is actually doing a whole focus on Vietnam to line up with the 40th anniversary of the fall of Saigon. Tonight has/had a feature on the Draft as well as the impact the media had on the American public's perception of Vietnam (probably too late if you're anywhere but the West Coast but maybe you can catch it on re-runs or DVR the early morning replay). Tomorrow is a feature on Kent State followed by Last Days in Vietnam.

e: That toilet picture is from a Skyraider also...I'm too lazy to go pull up another picture but if you just google "VA-195 kitchen sink bomb" I'm sure you'll find a picture or two of it mounted up on a Skyraider.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 28, 2015