Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

acetcx posted:

Ouch, that sucks. I guess it's pretty easy to forget what it's like outside the city. Sorry for being a typical Toronto rear end in a top hat.

Its all good man. Standard living "up north" (we're further south than most of the US border) in a remote'ish town - I mean, we are like 10-15km off the #1 highway, which has fibre running along with it to go serve Timmins. We're a town of like 15,000 people, run me some goddamn fiber :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So regarding the Teksavvy issues in Telus land:

Marc @ Teksavvy posted:

We're investigating all options to deal with this unfortunate situation.. in the mean time we will likely have to put a stop sell in place. We are still investigating other possible solutions.

For existing users, if you changed plans, it would likely increase your speed but would not max it out. Difficult to say given the current situation.

Not having access to addition power.. was totally not something we thought would reasonably happen.

They know there is a congestion issue and are contemplating a stop sell. I would be pissed off something fierce if I signed up for new service and get a fraction of what you're supposed to and it's a known issue.

That said, I'm actually getting 10+ pretty reliably even at peak time so I can stream hidef so I can live with it, but there are reports of people really hitting a wall so they can't stream period.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kly posted:

They already started charging in some parts of BC starting at the end of March.

Yeah, I just assumed you were in Metro Vancouver, where it's set for June.

e: Speaking of, with the upcoming changes I cancelled my TELUS TV and my CSR was great. Almost reminded me of my attitude working at the Quebecois one.

She sympathized and didn't pressure me to keep the TV, set the cancellation and let me know "And you've got a decent plan, so you can just watch Netflix instead. :haw:"

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 23, 2015

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Just wanted to leave this here to maybe spark a conversation we've already had a million times. It's a decent editorial and I couldn't help but hear Diane's voice the whole time.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/google-fi-might-be-exactly-what-canada-s-telecom-market-needs-1.3046460

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah I read that last night too. I can't imagine a Canadian incumbent teaming up with Google to offer something even remotely comparable. It would break the oligopoly and wouldn't be in their interests unless Google did something for them they couldn't refuse.

Regarding earlier Teksavvy capacity chat, I've had issues with speedtests but I've been streaming hidef hockey this past week and netflix is just fine at 1080 as well. So it's not really that bad I suppose for me at least, just a little pit of a piss-off that I'm not getting access to the full bandwidth I'm paying for if I try to get it.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
What I don't get about this article is... How would Google Fi or Ting be any different from the dozen existing MVNOs in place? The problem isn't the lack of MVNOs, it's the big 3's total and absolute refusal to grant said MVNOs anything resemblign competitive pricing.

Bell delanda est.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I think the only way Google could competitively do it here would be to team up with a company like Wind and actually help them build out their network.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
That's hilarious. I didn't know Ting is a Canadian company. It's pretty sad that they can't offer anything up here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

8ender posted:

I think the only way Google could competitively do it here would be to team up with a company like Wind and actually help them build out their network.

Oh god :gizz:

Telus and Bell would absolutely poo poo themselves

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

8ender posted:

Well give n the foreign limits on investment moblicity would be a better choice.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Siochain posted:

Its all good man. Standard living "up north" (we're further south than most of the US border) in a remote'ish town - I mean, we are like 10-15km off the #1 highway, which has fibre running along with it to go serve Timmins. We're a town of like 15,000 people, run me some goddamn fiber :)

gently caress, I'm in Guelph, a small city of ~100k right next to the major tech hub of Kitchener-Waterloo, and I can't get anywhere near those Toronto options.

I'm on 25/10 DSL and thankful for it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

gently caress, I'm in Guelph, a small city of ~100k right next to the major tech hub of Kitchener-Waterloo, and I can't get anywhere near those Toronto options.

I'm on 25/10 DSL and thankful for it.

I work near the Google office in KW that does the software for Google Fibre and it's the same situation. That has to bother the poo poo out of them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

8ender posted:

I work near the Google office in KW that does the software for Google Fibre and it's the same situation. That has to bother the poo poo out of them.

I've spoken to some of the Fiber engineers from that office and yes, it does.

Apparently the most-asked question they get is "when are you bringing Google Fiber to Canada", which doesn't surprise me in the least.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yeah, I talked to some Google Fiber guys at a recruiting event and they looked pretty sad. I got a Google Fiber Canada shirt thought, so the process is at the very least started.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

If Google decided to roll out Fiber, even just in KW, it would cause a magnificent poo poo storm at the CRTC, Bell, and Rogers.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm not religious, but I pray for deliverance from the cartel every day.

Rogers delenda est.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

8ender posted:

If Google decided to roll out Fiber, even just in KW, it would cause a magnificent poo poo storm at the CRTC, Bell, and Rogers.

These filthy non-Canadian competitors aren't playing by the cartel rules!

:qqsay:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Jan posted:

These filthy non-Canadian competitors aren't playing by the cartel rules!

:qqsay:

I'd just want to see how Bell and Rogers would justify the new 100 mbit no caps plans they'd roll out in the Google Fiber areas in light of all the QQ'ing they did to the CRTC over wholesale pricing.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

8ender posted:

I'd just want to see how Bell and Rogers would justify the new 100 mbit no caps plans they'd roll out in the Google Fiber areas in light of all the QQ'ing they did to the CRTC over wholesale pricing.

Well thats exactly what the 3 large american companies do every time google fiber is about to roll out to a new city.

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....

Sprawl posted:

Well thats exactly what the 3 large american companies do every time google fiber is about to roll out to a new city.

Yeah, but are the ex-VPs of the companies appointed to their CRTC equivalent?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

slush posted:

If only.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

slush posted:

No, we appoint the people who run their lobbying groups instead.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sprawl posted:

Yeah but ours swore up and down to the government that unlimited plans would make their networks go nuclear and it's super duper expensive to carry every third party bit over their lines.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

8ender posted:

Yeah but ours swore up and down to the government that unlimited plans would make their networks go nuclear and it's super duper expensive to carry every third party bit over their lines.

Telus is offering "unlimited" for $30 more a month :smith:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
"How can we run these rubes for even more money while never updating our infrastructure?"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

slidebite posted:

Oh god :gizz:

Telus and Bell would absolutely poo poo themselves

Word.

I like how quickly Wind has gone from joke company to every single person I know getting on it because gently caress the big boys.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
If the incumbents are lovely enough, "Anyone but X" can become a legitimate marketing strategy.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Acer Pilot posted:

Telus is offering "unlimited" for $30 more a month :smith:

This is same price Rogers and Bell went with with unlimited.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Word.

I like how quickly Wind has gone from joke company to every single person I know getting on it because gently caress the big boys.

My wife and I are on Wind despite the fact that she spends a lot of time visiting her parents in ultra-rural Ontario where they have no coverage.

The roaming costs on Wind are less than the long-distance charges she had making calls to or from that area on Rogers.

Rogers delenda est.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I would be on Wind in a heartbeat if my medium-sized city was in their main service zone even though I'm out of it a good portion of the time.

Oh look, another CBC story about nothing and how THOUSANDS of Canadians are breaking the law Netflix is not happy with VPN geo-jumping.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/netflix-and-hbo-border-hopping-is-anyone-getting-caught-1.3050460

Geist seems to bring some reality to the situation.

quote:

It's pretty clear [Sony] wants to sell to Netflix, so the extent to which this is seen as an issue, it's pretty clearly a secondary issue relative to the revenue that services like Netflix are generating for them," says Geist.

Geist also says everyone recognizes that cross-border watching is better than illegal downloading because money is still changing hands.

"Rights holders are being paid, consumers are paying for the content. If there was really that big of an issue, the rights holders would take steps to stop it from happening," he says.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
My girlfriend wanted to watch some show we couldn't get on US netflix and I swapped back, since then I haven't noticed much of a difference. The canadian stuff is leaps and bounds improved on how I remember it from launch, no shortage of quality stuff to watch. My only beef was the lack of The Office.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

slidebite posted:

Geist seems to bring some reality to the situation.

But with the amount of articles that quote content providers as being angered and disappointed, you'd think they'd actually put pressure on Netflix to crack down. Maybe they really aren't that stupid and do realize that doing that will just drive people back to pirating? :yum:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Gunslinger posted:

My girlfriend wanted to watch some show we couldn't get on US netflix and I swapped back, since then I haven't noticed much of a difference. The canadian stuff is leaps and bounds improved on how I remember it from launch, no shortage of quality stuff to watch. My only beef was the lack of The Office.
While I agree the Canadian content is much improved from launch there are tons of things in the US we don't have in Canada which we like. Food Network shows for example.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
If they wanted to really do something about it, they would stop putting up regional barriers to content in the first place. Poof, unblocking VPNs are no longer necessary, content gets sold, everyone is happy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

slidebite posted:

While I agree the Canadian content is much improved from launch there are tons of things in the US we don't have in Canada which we like. Food Network shows for example.

It's confusing as all hell to me that neither Canadian nor US Netflix have the Battlestar Galactica reboot but UK Netflix does. poo poo, it was *filmed* here.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Skandranon posted:

If they wanted to really do something about it, they would stop putting up regional barriers to content in the first place. Poof, unblocking VPNs are no longer necessary, content gets sold, everyone is happy.

I'm pretty sure that our labyrinthine licensing laws make that choice impossible.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

I'm pretty sure that our labyrinthine licensing laws make that choice impossible.

Is it laws, though? Or just content providers stubbornly adhering to outdated models? I somewhat doubt Australia has laws in place specifying "all those ones and zeroes coming into our country shall be sold at no less than 150% the going rate of North America and Europe", and yet digital content is still inexplicably more expensive there.

We have a relatively special situation with the CRTC regulations, but I don't know that the CRTC has bothered regulating Internet content just yet.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

I'm pretty sure this is still Rogers and Bell whining because their vertically integrated content can be accessed by some means other than them.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
What I find hilarious is that yahoo is making their own content like the new season of community and other space. They broadcast it themselves via their web site but it's not viewable in Canada.

At least netflix releases their own content in all regions

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jan posted:

Is it laws, though? Or just content providers stubbornly adhering to outdated models? I somewhat doubt Australia has laws in place specifying "all those ones and zeroes coming into our country shall be sold at no less than 150% the going rate of North America and Europe", and yet digital content is still inexplicably more expensive there.

We have a relatively special situation with the CRTC regulations, but I don't know that the CRTC has bothered regulating Internet content just yet.

The CRTC explicitly hasn't, and federal copyright law just says "people can't copy/distribute your work without your permission" and gives limited shits about the terms on which you give your permission. The only reason region-based licensing still exists is because:

a) a lot of people (more than would be apparent on a thread dedicated to complaining about Internet access on the nerdiest subforum of SA) still get their content through regional providers, especially for TV and movies because the necessary bandwidth for high-quality streaming video is not available everywhere (and even though the record industry is dying a lot faster than cable is, it is still A Thing and regional distribution obviously still makes a certain amount of sense for physical goods),
b) there are relatively few companies that want to use or can actually make use of global distribution rights for digital OR physical goods (and a lot of those companies are vertically integrated with content providers),
c) content providers can make more money from 50 or 100 regional exclusive distribution deals than from 5 or 10 global non-exclusive distribution deals (or even 1 global exclusive, since b) means that the auction won't be as competitive),

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 28, 2015