Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Manatee Cannon posted:

Bethany was ok. A little dull, but unoffensive. Carver was a dickhead.

I actually never recruited Isabella. Completely missed her somehow.

I think killing off one sibling so soon was a huge mistake. Not only did the player barely know them (nobody besides Hawke's mom seems that upset about the dead sibling), but it kept them from interacting at all.

That said, I still like having whiny little brother Carver on the team then super-agreeable younger sister Bethany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I grew to understand and like all of the companions in DA2. Yes, even Anders. After knowing his history, guy had a hard life since the moment he became a Mage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Every mage outside of Tevinter (and plenty within) has, but he's the only one that is quite that stupid. Not even Merril, queen of the idiots, is that stupid.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I'm still on the fence about playing it, but the more I read peoples' reactions I feel like DA2 is about desperate people making stupid decisions, and when done in a crisis the outcome is that much worse for everyone involved, even with the best of intentions. Am I reading too much into the criticism or is it possible that's what at least one writer was going for?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Every mage outside of Tevinter (and plenty within) has, but he's the only one that is quite that stupid. Not even Merril, queen of the idiots, is that stupid.

To me, what Anders did wasn't stupid but just him giving up on the Circle system and seeing Mages fighting for independence as the last resort, cause helping Mages in the Mage Underground, brining evidence of Templar corruption, hoping that it can be cracked down, to authorities only for it to fall on deaf ears, and his manifesto didn't work. IMO, Blowing up that Chantry was a wake-up for the non-Mages who ignored the horrors and abuses that occurs in the Circles and a call to Mages that they can fight the Chantry who have all but enslaved them and not just submit to them in fear.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 27, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

As I recall, if you don't do Anders' companion quest then his bullshit at the end is entirely out of nowhere. If you did, you are complicit in his mad scheme to start a war and thus partially responsible for all the people he kills with his dumb magic nuke. It's still pretty out of nowhere, but you know what causes it. I'm not gonna get into how Anders acts as a person except to say that he's awful, whiny, and passive aggressive. But that one thing is the biggest what the gently caress moment of that whole game to me.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I'm still on the fence about playing it, but the more I read peoples' reactions I feel like DA2 is about desperate people making stupid decisions, and when done in a crisis the outcome is that much worse for everyone involved, even with the best of intentions. Am I reading too much into the criticism or is it possible that's what at least one writer was going for?

Imagine if It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was set in Dragon Age.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SgtSteel91 posted:

Holy poo poo. :chanpop:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Geostomp posted:

I think killing off one sibling so soon was a huge mistake. Not only did the player barely know them (nobody besides Hawke's mom seems that upset about the dead sibling), but it kept them from interacting at all.

That said, I still like having whiny little brother Carver on the team then super-agreeable younger sister Bethany.

DAII's opening was weak because they expect you to care about a character you've barely talked to. Like, compare to the openings in Origins -- you can have a full conversation with Iona or Darrien from the Human Noble origin which makes them a hundred times more fleshed-out than your doomed sibling in DA2.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

DAII's opening was weak because they expect you to care about a character you've barely talked to. Like, compare to the openings in Origins -- you can have a full conversation with Iona or Darrien from the Human Noble origin which makes them a hundred times more fleshed-out than your doomed sibling in DA2.

What made it worse was, as I said before, only one character seems broken up about the first sibling dying. They give the quiet moment and sad music for Aveline's generic templar husband dying, but the sibling is all but written off.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Just got to Skyhold in my second game, playing as a human fighter instead of an elven mage. I love how much easier it is to convince everybody you're the Herald without having to climb over the racism and magicism that a Dalish mage gets. Also on repeated playthroughs the long walk out of Haven is less "dramatic, tough, determined" and more "boring". But the campfire/Dawn Will Come scene is still probably my favorite in the game. It's cool how on your second playthrough, after learning his secret, everything Blackwall says and does is recolored by it.

A question: I haven't gone and picked up Sera or Vivi yet, and have no particular intention of doing so. Is that going to screw me somehow or can I just permanently skip them? I never used them anyway and I don't need a jester or some bald lady following me around being all negative about my words and deeds and mean to Cole.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Manatee Cannon posted:

Bethany was ok. A little dull, but unoffensive. Carver was a dickhead.

I actually never recruited Isabella. Completely missed her somehow.

Is... this even possible? She's pretty drat central to the plot in Act 2. She CAN disappear for act 3 though.

SgtSteel91 posted:

:lol: perfect

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Regarding Blackwall the secret explains some of his weird approvals too.

Regarding Vivienne, having a Knight enchanter helps a ton.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

Just got to Skyhold in my second game, playing as a human fighter instead of an elven mage. I love how much easier it is to convince everybody you're the Herald without having to climb over the racism and magicism that a Dalish mage gets. Also on repeated playthroughs the long walk out of Haven is less "dramatic, tough, determined" and more "boring". But the campfire/Dawn Will Come scene is still probably my favorite in the game. It's cool how on your second playthrough, after learning his secret, everything Blackwall says and does is recolored by it.

A question: I haven't gone and picked up Sera or Vivi yet, and have no particular intention of doing so. Is that going to screw me somehow or can I just permanently skip them? I never used them anyway and I don't need a jester or some bald lady following me around being all negative about my words and deeds and mean to Cole.

Blackwall on a second playthrough is fascinating. He never actually straight-up lies about not being a Grey Warden but he talks around it constantly. Even at Adamant, when he says "You don't know me, but you do know my name" -- he's right. They don't know him, but they knew the name of Blackwall

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I haven't played the game in a while, have any of the recent updates done anything to make the banter play at a more reliable rate or is it still kinda random?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Apparently latest update revamped the banter system completely, but no idea if it actually affects the frequency. That walk to camp can also work in tactical mode, which made it really less tedious (thanks driver crash).

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah Blackwall and his whole arc was probably my favorite of the companion stories, although Cole was pretty good too. I'm romancing him this time around and I am excited to see how that changes things. Maybe he won't get mad at me anymore for helping him. He just can't see the big picture :smith:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

SgtSteel91 posted:

I'm sold!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pattonesque posted:

Blackwall on a second playthrough is fascinating. He never actually straight-up lies about not being a Grey Warden but he talks around it constantly. Even at Adamant, when he says "You don't know me, but you do know my name" -- he's right. They don't know him, but they knew the name of Blackwall

Nearly ALL the Iron Bull and Blackbeard dialogue clicks so much more.

But the dialogue where he talks about the false calling having no power over him I got chills unexpectedly. Totally changed the tone from badass with new knowledge and an iron will, to an almost resigned sadness.

Oh and to the guy not recruiting Sera, her messing with Blackwall is the best sometimes.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Thyrork posted:

Varric, Aveline and Sarcastic Hawke were fine, and the only bright spots in that game.

Maybe Flemeth too. Maybe. She's fun to talk too.

I like Flemeth because she actively fucks with Morrigan in both an ancient mystical way and an annoying mom way

:v: "See, the -Inquisitor- has manners. How come you don't have manners? I thought I raised you better."
:mad: "Shut UP, mom, you wicked crone!"

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Wasabi the J posted:

But the dialogue where he talks about the false calling having no power over him I got chills unexpectedly. Totally changed the tone from badass with new knowledge and an iron will, to an almost resigned sadness.

Oh and to the guy not recruiting Sera, her messing with Blackwall is the best sometimes.

He's also great for the Nightmare. "Ah, there's nothing like a Grey Warden. And you are nothing like a Grey Warden..."

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

eating only apples posted:

He's also great for the Nightmare. "Ah, there's nothing like a Grey Warden. And you are nothing like a Grey Warden..."

I got suspicious as soon as he started talking about how to kill an Archdemon. He lays on the bullshit thick

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

"Charlie rules the world"

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Yeah blackwall on a second play through gets downright hilarious sometimes with how far he goes to not outright lie, even though he straight up lies about being the Blackwall dude.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

JawKnee posted:

Is... this even possible? She's pretty drat central to the plot in Act 2. She CAN disappear for act 3 though.

You can just never talk to her at the bar, I think. The game still runs as normal though.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

pmchem posted:

"Charlie rules the world"

"Anders builds a balm"

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Got this for PC and played a little bit but wanted to play it on my TV with a controller. The PC version doesn't have controller support apparently? :(

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

SgtSteel91 posted:

To me, what Anders did wasn't stupid but just him giving up on the Circle system and seeing Mages fighting for independence as the last resort, cause helping Mages in the Mage Underground, brining evidence of Templar corruption, hoping that it can be cracked down, to authorities only for it to fall on deaf ears, and his manifesto didn't work. IMO, Blowing up that Chantry was a wake-up for the non-Mages who ignored the horrors and abuses that occurs in the Circles and a call to Mages that they can fight the Chantry who have all but enslaved them and not just submit to them in fear.

Except there was no wake up call. Anders failed in even this simple task, because the mage-templar war doesn't start because of what Anders did, as his tumblr apologists love to shriek. The war only starts because the mages figured out the cure for Tranquility and Justinia basically took their side when she told the templars to stop raping and abusing mages. The templars flipped poo poo at not being allowed to abuse and lobotomize mages as they pleased and declared war, and the mages voted to secede at the same time because Fiona felt they were not getting enough Chantry support IIRC.

Basically it is Anders' cause but the entire book covering this spends a sentence or two pointing and laughing at him and the war breaks out three years AFTER the explosion and Anders is being roundly mocked as a crazy person.

Anders had lots of legitimate complaints but he's basically an online keyboard warrior. He's so obnoxious and refuses to countenance any shades of gray so no one wants anything to do with him, and his cause languishes because of his inability to act like a normal person. (Thanks Justice.)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Danith posted:

Got this for PC and played a little bit but wanted to play it on my TV with a controller. The PC version doesn't have controller support apparently? :(

You need the OFFICIAL CONTROLLER FOR WINDOWS 360 GAMING. I have a Razer sabertooth that I can't use for this game; I have to use the official one with the crappy buttons.

HIJK posted:

Anders had lots of legitimate complaints but he's basically an online keyboard warrior. He's so obnoxious and refuses to countenance any shades of gray so no one wants anything to do with him, and his cause languishes because of his inability to act like a normal person. (Thanks Justice.)

DragonAgeCharacter.txt

Seriously the only character that shows even a hint of retrospect is loving Cassandra. "Maybe we can do better than the terrible poo poo we have been doing."

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 27, 2015

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

JawKnee posted:

Yeah, you'll just always end up fighting the Arishok since you have nothing to give him (missed her in my first playthrough too).

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Wasabi the J posted:

You need the OFFICIAL CONTROLLER FOR WINDOWS 360 GAMING. I have a Razer sabertooth that I can't use for this game; I have to use the official one with the crappy buttons.

DragonAgeCharacter.txt

I had a 360 controller plugged in and nothing changed. Is there a setting in the menus somewhere I have to flip?

I'll try the wireless dongle and a different controller next time.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Danith posted:

I had a 360 controller plugged in and nothing changed. Is there a setting in the menus somewhere I have to flip?

I'll try the wireless dongle and a different controller next time.

Yeah. In the "gameplay" settings.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

HIJK posted:

Except there was no wake up call. Anders failed in even this simple task, because the mage-templar war doesn't start because of what Anders did, as his tumblr apologists love to shriek. The war only starts because the mages figured out the cure for Tranquility and Justinia basically took their side when she told the templars to stop raping and abusing mages. The templars flipped poo poo at not being allowed to abuse and lobotomize mages as they pleased and declared war, and the mages voted to secede at the same time because Fiona felt they were not getting enough Chantry support IIRC.

Basically it is Anders' cause but the entire book covering this spends a sentence or two pointing and laughing at him and the war breaks out three years AFTER the explosion and Anders is being roundly mocked as a crazy person.

But that gets weird because a lot of people in Inquisition seem to place Anders as the one sparking the rebellion.

Wasabi the J posted:

Seriously the only character that shows even a hint of retrospect is loving Cassandra. "Maybe we can do better than the terrible poo poo we have been doing."

I prefer Leliana's "this poo poo was always stacked against anyone who's not human or a Mage and needs to be overhauled from the ground-up."

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 27, 2015

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Danith posted:

I'm using a third party controller and it's working pretty well. Better than keyboard and mouse - I am terrible at using controllers but it's p. intuitive here.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

grack posted:

Does anyone else feel kinda bad killing Snofleurs? I mean, useful skin and all that but they're so pathetic I feel like I'm killing someone's lost pet. Then I see them periscope and feel really bad.

Yes. They're super happy looking and then I just end that happiness.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bored posted:

Yes. They're super happy looking and then I just end that happiness.
I do kind of get a kick out of Solas roaming around the countryside exploding fantasy rabbits with high-level spells like Pull of the Abyss, though. He's tapped the secrets of the Veil itself just to blow up some cute critters for their skins.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pattonesque posted:

I got suspicious as soon as he started talking about how to kill an Archdemon. He lays on the bullshit thick

Well technically, why only a grey warden has to kill an archdemon is a secret, so even if he was a warden, he'd have to bullshit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lotish posted:

Well technically, why only a grey warden has to kill an archdemon is a secret, so even if he was a warden, he'd have to bullshit.
When I first played through, I was really impressed that Bioware remembered that even though the player knows why a Warden is necessary, there's no drat way a Warden would reveal that secret to the Inquisitor. Having a companion straight up lie (I thought) to you was pretty cool.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lotish posted:

Which is probably why he got away with the deception for so long. The Wardens are so secretive normally that all he had to do was mumble and be evasive to pass for one when anybody started asking too many questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

SgtSteel91 posted:

But that gets weird because a lot of people in Inquisition seem to place Anders as the one sparking the rebellion.

This is very true but I think it's operating from the scapegoat principle. I frequently hear Truman cited as the sole decision maker about whether the atomic bomb should have been dropped on Japan but he wasn't the only cause, the bombs were dropped as the result of several years of momentum and prior events. I think it's the same thing with Anders, it's just easier to nail him for it.

quote:

I prefer Leliana's "this poo poo was always stacked against anyone who's not human or a Mage and needs to be overhauled from the ground-up."

Murder Pope, best pope. :getin:

• Locked thread