Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

synftw posted:

It almost makes me want to watch CSPAN, and I'm sure I've never thought that before.

Does this guy have a regular time slot or do they just take questions after Congress is done voting on whatever?

Washington Journal is CSPAN's primary call-in show. It runs 7-10 every morning. They also have open lines after big events like Presidential speeches, debates, etc. It's pretty much the best channel for witnessing America's id.

There's always a crazy person, a racist drunk, a couple 9/11 truthers, and a few sassy old black people who've had enough of this poo poo every day and it somehow never gets old.

Timett posted:

I think it's weird that they seemed to have separate phone numbers for Republican, Democrat and Independent callers. Any practical reason for this?

When they first started they didn't screen political affiliation and people noticed it was almost all Republicans calling in (because old people are the only ones up at 7am with nothing better to do but yell at a guy on tv). Now they have the three lines and alternate between them, but people game the system all the time. They still have about a 2:1 ratio of conservative affiliated guests though, but that's no different than any other political talk show like the Sunday garbagefests.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

Just caught up on the last three episodes. The NSA episode was amazing. Their best, IMO. The dick pic questions really helped me, the average person, understand some of the NSA issue. I kinda felt bad for Snowden when he was shown videos of how most Americans don't even know him and what he's done. But he shouldn't take that personally because apparently, Americans are really that ignorant when it comes to world news and politics. I mean that most patient in man segment had a caller that is still claiming that Obama is a Muslim.

I will add Patent Trolls in my "evil list" together with the collection agents.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

agatona posted:

Just caught up on the last three episodes. The NSA episode was amazing. Their best, IMO. The dick pic questions really helped me, the average person, understand some of the NSA issue. I kinda felt bad for Snowden when he was shown videos of how most Americans don't even know him and what he's done. But he shouldn't take that personally because apparently, Americans are really that ignorant when it comes to world news and politics. I mean that most patient in man segment had a caller that is still claiming that Obama is a Muslim.

Still claiming that Obama is a Muslim and somehow feeling that in itself is a negative criticism.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Stayne Falls posted:

Still claiming that Obama is a Muslim and somehow feeling that in itself is a negative criticism.

Still better than the other caller who advocated full on genocide for all of muslim citizens of the US.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015

Xoidanor posted:

Still better than the other caller who advocated full on genocide for all of muslim citizens of the US.

To be fair, I don't know that anyone ever really advocates for full-on genocides. As a people we tend to prefer the subtle, distanced semi-genocide if given the option.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Stayne Falls posted:

God I work with so many people who think like this. The vast majority of people on this planet are incredibly stupid. I had a guy at work tell me that the bible was history and all of it was "historic fact". He absolutely believed it too, looked at me like I was crazy.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Ehhhh, there have been and continue to be failed big IT projects post-2000.

It was several years ago when I read this, but Congress knows that if they gave the IRS another ~$200 million, there'd be close to a fifty-fold return on collected revenue.

In other words, in the eyes of a lot of people in Congress, the IRS not having the money to go after tax evasion is considered working as intended.

We have exactly the same problem in the UK. HMRC has hardly enough inspectors to do things properly, businesses get away with not paying tax, capitalism at work! Plus all the usual right-wing narratives.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mo0 posted:

The show is Washington Journal, and it airs every morning at 7AM, and they go to open phones regularly throughout. I actually have a C-SPAN radio station where I live that intercuts between audio feeds from the actual TV stations and pre-recorded or "earlier today" stuff, and call-in segments on Washington Journal get run for those too.

Basically the short answer is "Every morning, that man has to listen to exactly that poo poo every day."

Oh, is that where this clip is from?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVr1BQ3MGOQ

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As it says "Washington Journal" in the lower right corner, I'm going to say yes :v:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
My all-time favorite C-SPAN prank call clip is when they had a guest on, and the caller started off talking about debt or something like that and then just seamlessly transitioned into talking about how he needed penis implants, and the guest's face just went :aaa:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I bet this guy loves this poo poo. He totally just rolls with it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

My all-time favorite C-SPAN prank call clip is when they had a guest on, and the caller started off talking about debt or something like that and then just seamlessly transitioned into talking about how he needed penis implants, and the guest's face just went :aaa:

Yeah the real pros know how to keep the host engaged so they don't even think about reaching for the call dump button until the reveal.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The C-Span bits were great. I've always loved watching those compilations on Youtube.

edit: Thanks auto-correct!

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 21, 2015

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
That's an oddly apropos autocorrect mistake.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The most patient man in the world is the person or people who *screen* those calls.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
They don't screen the calls.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Best twist is how a redneck was watching the Battlestar remake.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

That was hilarious. My favourite is the last one out of these calls that all passionately go on about Mitt Romney's campaign before asking a question about his penis. It had my ribs hurting from laughing so hard, even the host admitted that it was set up nicely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG4z1vlRJcg

The one where the CEO gets asked when he lost his virginity was priceless too (most of the pranks in the video are great too).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs31H53r1Ks&t=1m30s

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ETWNuNjws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ETWNuNjws

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 22, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
With how patient those hosts are, I wonder how long they would stay on the line with a call that is just an endless string of innuendo without any of it being outright explicit. Maybe weave a cogent political point in between your statements that the treasury has to make a hot injection of funds to get a rise out of consumer confidence.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

JT Jag posted:

With how patient those hosts are, I wonder how long they would stay on the line with a call that is just an endless string of innuendo without any of it being outright explicit. Maybe weave a cogent political point in between your statements that the treasury has to make a hot injection of funds to get a rise out of consumer confidence.
Well, there was that time where someone called in about his son's SATS, only he said "STD's" instead. The host kept him on for over a minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0BndjxYXDo

Thing that's hilarious about the guy in the John Oliver clip is that he always looks really anxious and stressed out no matter who the caller is. Whether it be some racist old redneck or a prankster asking him how he feels about Cool Runnings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lML1LklmTg&t=5m35s

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 22, 2015

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Hakkesshu posted:

Gotta wonder if he just starts laughing maniacally or starts pounding hard liquor the second he goes off the air.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Viginti posted:

Are there any good patent documentaries out there, besides Shark Tank? I would like to know more.

A few years ago This American Life did a full episode on the problem that was the best mainstream reporting I've encountered on the problem. It's something that tech people have been aware of for a long time, but it's been hard to get people to pay attention to how broken the patent system is.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 22, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Random Stranger posted:

A few years ago This American Life did a full episode on the problem that was the best mainstream reporting I've encountered on the problem. It's something that tech people have been aware of for a long time, but it's been hard to get people to pay attention to how broken the patent system is.

Patent reform is even more boring and esoteric then Net Neutrality, hopefully the various car companies attempt to use DMCA to stop people from fixing their own cars will cause more attention to be paid to it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I thought patent trolls have been talked to death but I guess that's just because of what I listen to. It's extremely shady business that nobody will really care about because it's millionaires fighting billionaires fighting other billionaires about their trillions of dollars. Also it's super boring.

They're loving way out of hand though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

sbaldrick posted:

Patent reform is even more boring and esoteric then Net Neutrality, hopefully the various car companies attempt to use DMCA to stop people from fixing their own cars will cause more attention to be paid to it.

The DMCA thing, as crappy as it is, is not about fixing, it's about modifying. It's specifically about modifying the ECU, which is a computer that governs engine performance and provides diagnostic data. It is lovely that they are even trying to block that, but it's should be made more clear that this specific instance is not about repairs or maintenance. The DMCA applies because the modifications in question are software, similar to updating a third party firmware to basically "overclock" your car. Regular maintenance like oil changes or repair jobs like replacing a muffler for example are not covered.

The messaging that the press is using is misleading in that it's really pressing the repair angle but that's not what's really going on.

They aren't even trying to block access to the ECU as a diagnostic tool, they just don't want custom software to overwrite factory ECU software.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 22, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Celery Face posted:

Well, there was that time where someone called in about his son's SATS, only he said "STD's" instead. The host kept him on for over a minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0BndjxYXDo

I'm wondering if the host knew he was trolling, the 600 score should have been a tip off.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Celery Face posted:

The one where the CEO gets asked when he lost his virginity was priceless too (most of the pranks in the video are great too).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs31H53r1Ks&t=1m30s

Oh poo poo it's in this video, watch this guy's face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs31H53r1Ks&t=32s

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Oh god, the Prime Minister of New Zealand is straight out of Flight of the Conchords.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Haha yesss

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
EAT THE MYSTERIOUS WAGON CHICKEN

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cacator posted:

Oh god, the Prime Minister of New Zealand is straight out of Flight of the Conchords.

Believe me, that show is more accurate than anyone would ever imagine.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

":getout:" was absolutely the best bit of the episode.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Mark Wahlberg: One of those 90s problems we're still very much dealing with

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Just watched the bit on Youtube. That was great, truly. Can I pretend this is why I never buy clothes?

(It's because they're expensive as all gently caress in Scandinavia)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would say that an area in which the bit falls down is that John just said that "we shouldn't let them do this" without offering ways how to accomplish that.

I mean, there's the general idea of 'consume less', but that's not directly going to affect where they make the clothes and then they are even more likely to cut corners when the volume disappears.

I think largely why this has disappeared from the public awareness after every incident is the public very well feels powerless to do anything about it. The segment itself said that fewer than 2% of clothes are produced in this country, but it didn't point out what those 2% are.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gonz posted:

EAT THE MYSTERIOUS WAGON CHICKEN

Actually, if you're buying in bulk from a wholesaler, $7.99 rotisserie chickens are probably decent. At least, I'd trust it more than bulk sushi.

bull3964 posted:

I would say that an area in which the bit falls down is that John just said that "we shouldn't let them do this" without offering ways how to accomplish that.

And this is a problem that extends to every bit of manufacturing, not just fashion. If you do not sit on your contractors, they'll cheerfully subcontract it to someone who will do it at half the price and make up the difference in all sorts of unpleasant ways.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I mean, there's the general idea of 'consume less', but that's not directly going to affect where they make the clothes and then they are even more likely to cut corners when the volume disappears.

I think largely why this has disappeared from the public awareness after every incident is the public very well feels powerless to do anything about it. The segment itself said that fewer than 2% of clothes are produced in this country, but it didn't point out what those 2% are.

Yeah. I cannot afford to buy nice clothes. I'm a college student and I wear jeans/shorts and t shirts.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm fairly sure I've eaten every one of those foods at some point.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

bull3964 posted:

American Apparel, some higher end boutique stuff, and a bunch of textiles for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

John called all of that food disgustingly cheap, but for my budget, most of that seemed really expensive. Almost two bucks for a taquito? Eight bucks for a chicken? That's some pretty pricey stuff, usually if I buy meat, I stick to around 1-2 dollars a pound, assuming boneless. 80 cents per pound for bone-in stuff.

That said though, even I don't trust that sushi.

• Locked thread