Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Maed posted:

I'm back on blue on my lvl 16 ranger named Maed. Anyone wanna group or sell me a silver swiftblade or woodsman's staff?

This is the best possible news!

I've been feeling the itch again myself. Might have to fire up the old necromancer again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
drat bros, as much as I like Fotwen and am sad to see him go, don't let him single handedly talk you out of Red.

Yeah, there's grief, it's a PVP server.

You can call LNS if it comes to it. You don't have to keep running in to die over and over.

Honestly, CoM was probably the roughest patch that I had of PVP, and it wasn't even that rough all things considered. I'm sorry you hit the zone at the same time as a real dickhead. Most people will kill you once and leave you alone, especially if you shoot them a tell asking if you can just get some xp etc.

Excessive bind camping is also specifically against the rules and can be reported, so go ahead. People get suspended all the time for stuff like that. Yeah it won't last forever but you might be able to level out of their range before they're back.

The mid 40s are a weird spot for PVP because certain classes are starting to get strong while others remain weak, so even a non-twink can start blasting people pretty easily around that level range... and if you're one of the classes that can't do much about it, it's gonna be hard.

For a druid, you can keep soloing.

I also would not suggest binding IN CoM itself. I did it because I was a melee and didn't really have any choice. If you're a caster, bind outside in EJ. At least that way you can't get brutally bind camped like you did.

Red is really really fun once you get going. Learn to plug! Learn to run the gently caress away! Cowardice is the better part of valor in almost every instance. Hit a zoneline, close the game, log back onto an alt, and chill for a while. Also, try to find a non-poo poo guild: at this point those are pretty much (a) The Curse (b) Slosh (c) Azrael (d) Friends. Friends has closed applications. Slosh is mostly a group of RL friends, so it'll be hard getting in there. Curse and Azrael might take you. Fresh is a leveling guild and will never help you out when you need it because everybody is in there as an LFG channel. Ya there are higher level players in Fresh, but a lot of them are as psychopathic as anyone on the server.

And remember: Holocaust is the enemy. Group with them on your way up, but once you get toward the top, hate them with everything you have. Go out there and get em boys.

Daaz
Feb 20, 2004

D.I.Y.

nomadologique posted:

drat bros, as much as I like Fotwen and am sad to see him go, don't let him single handedly talk you out of Red.

Yeah, there's grief, it's a PVP server.

Okay okay. I'll give it another shot. I was talking with another goon on blue the other day about the servers differing player base. So far i have noticed a distinct trade off between the two servers outside of population/camp availability/pvp bullshit:

The players willing to deal with "red" are also the players that have a firmer grasp on this games mechanics, making them better players (but still poo poo people), which pays off when you get into that off the wall, big rear end pull in sol-a situation where you need everyone to be cool and on top of their game. That's pretty alluring, compared to blue where i feel many players are clueless, or generally not nearly as good at this game as their red counterparts. What does this mean when deciding on where to play? I guess you have to make a personal assessment and figure out what you are willing to deal with on the day to day.

I'd still like to see more goons outside of Fresh.. the guilds serving its purpose now as an lfg channel, but i'd like to get back into the whole raid-social-club thing after i reach that level.

Which reminds me: During these bullying sessions, pretty much every aggressor said Fresh is a terrible guild, and i should quit immediately so i dont get associated with them, barring my entry to other, "better" guilds. Is this true? I'd rather not have to carry around the taint of this absent/hollow guild forever. I'd rather try to get into a different guild, at a lower level, for-fitting the lfg channel to avoid this, if it's true.

edit: fotwen was gonna score me some sort of 2hb/1hb, i dont see that happening now. anyone got something laying around? :x

edit2: yeah uh i died in misty AGAIN so yeah i dont care about playing an iksar anymore.

Daaz fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 25, 2015

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah, I'm probably going to be back. I just needed some time to destress from the server, and join a better guild like Friends.

I'll try to help you with the retrieval once I reinstall everything.

Daaz
Feb 20, 2004

D.I.Y.

Communist Q posted:

Yeah, I'm probably going to be back. I just needed some time to destress from the server, and join a better guild like Friends.

I'll try to help you with the retrieval once I reinstall everything.

That didn't take long. ;) I knew youd' be back! woohoo!

..so hey, put in a good word with Friends for me, yeah?

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Seems a number a new/lower level people are coming back to blue prior to Velious. I'm around for a little bit on my mule, Comebuy, in EC. If you need a bit of starting plat for bags/spells feel free to send a /t and I'll help you out.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Anarch posted:

So I've been playing a ranger on Blue for a week, but since I put all my points into STA I'm considering remaking him with STR or DEX instead. As I'm only nearly 7, should I do this?

Sta is the way to go you made the right choice

Daaz
Feb 20, 2004

D.I.Y.
Died trying to get to misty to bind from HHP. Dude i just cant stay alive when not on kunark.

Spent all day *today* not leveling, and just doing cr's. starting to think this is all i'll ever do on red.

poo poo is just down right demoralizing.

Communist, i wanna apply to friends, too. what's the procedure?

Daaz fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 25, 2015

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Daaz posted:

Died trying to get to misty to bind from HHP. Dude i just cant stay alive when not on kunark.

Spent all day *today* not leveling, and just doing cr's. starting to think this is all i'll ever do on red.

poo poo is just down right demoralizing.

Communist, i wanna apply to friends, too. what's the procedure?

I just joined the curse and they seem pretty cool. Azrael mostly all lvl 60 people so its kind of rough. Join curse they spam ooc occasionally.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

What guild are people in on blue now? I seem to be the only one in Unknown Guild.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Maed posted:

What guild are people in on blue now? I seem to be the only one in Unknown Guild.

That's a good question.

I have my first character I made(Druid) in Unknown Guild, but after I quit playing that character I tried a few of the newbie friendly guilds, Riddle, Go Team Good Guys, Order of the Hammer(currently in this one). They all seem the same, basically guild chat is a LFG/beg for buffs or free stuff channel.

I'd be interested in joining a better guild, or working on getting Unknown Guild active again if possible.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

All my dudes are just members of Unknown Guild, no officers.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Daaz posted:

Which reminds me: During these bullying sessions, pretty much every aggressor said Fresh is a terrible guild, and i should quit immediately so i dont get associated with them, barring my entry to other, "better" guilds. Is this true? I'd rather not have to carry around the taint of this absent/hollow guild forever. I'd rather try to get into a different guild, at a lower level, for-fitting the lfg channel to avoid this, if it's true.

All the sub 50 twink griefers on this server are from Holocaust (Empire), that's why.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Daaz posted:

The players willing to deal with "red" are also the players that have a firmer grasp on this games mechanics, making them better players (but still poo poo people), which pays off when you get into that off the wall, big rear end pull in sol-a situation where you need everyone to be cool and on top of their game.
There are certainly lots of idiots on blue, especially at lower levels, and they can probably last longer due to leaning on others and having fewer incentives to quit. That said, I'm going to have to disagree with this statement. If anything, red players are much worse in a group for one big reason - the group XP bonus is so good no one seems to give a poo poo if you AFK for entire spawn cycles at a time with no announcement. It's pretty infuriating when you're the puller/tank or healer and the rest of the group decides to just gently caress off constantly, especially when you get a big pull in SolA or whatever example it is you want to use. Sure, you find this happening on blue too but on blue there's a simple solution - you kick the lazy rear end in a top hat and maybe invite them when they come back. If you do this in a typical red group you're just asking for the lazy rear end in a top hat to come back with his deleveled buddies and harass the group for the next hour.

Also, as much as red players love to give blue players poo poo about it, they rarely have to compete in the PVE arena without straight up resorting to PVP. They don't know zones, pathing, spawn times, aggro mechanics, etc. like blue players tend to because they don't need to know that poo poo - they can just go gank the dude sitting at the camp rather than out-knowledge him. I found this to be the case when leveling up on red but I didn't it figure it also applied to the high level scene until I did some raids on red and grouped/raided with a bunch of long time red players including some BOTB winners on Velious beta. Red monks were struggling with doing simple FD splits and sneak pulls, red enchanters didn't understand how to intelligently deal with charm breaks, poo poo, some of the bards didn't understand haste mechanics or how to pull and kite planar trash without dying. Aggro was often mishandled and people had PVP clickies but not useful PVE poo poo like midnight mallets. I'm sure the average red player knows a lot more than the average blue player about PVP mechanics, but who gives a poo poo unless you're playing on red.

Dirt posted:

I'd be interested in joining a better guild, or working on getting Unknown Guild active again if possible.
I have the leader tag for UG on an alt druid and I'm happy to give out officer tags. Just let me know when you're going to be online and I'll do my best to hop on. I gave Gakan access to the account but it doesn't seem like he ever used it.

Pwnz0r
Sep 21, 2005
Ill be back for velious 100%, might install EQ again sooner rather then later and give it a check out with what I have left over. I cashed out around 9 months ago with almost every account/item I owned, which considering the time was great. Mrylokar BP's were 250k now they are down to 45k with velious pending, Sold my donal bp's off for 200k a pop etc. I kept a 60 enchanter, 60 shaman, and 58 druid, 54 epic clr, etc all geared decent enough(no drops, but still pvp essentials clickys, resist gear, planar gear etc) mostly to keep me on my feet to get started when I came back(knew even if I quit entirely I would get the itch again). Far down from a level 60 near bis geared char almost all with epics and all the other time investment I had but it worked out in the end so no regrets honestly. I just hope velious is going to go ok for red, The population is scarce for a server that size and when you add velious zones to the mix some of them if not all are like 2-3x the size of west karana.

I know that red will probably sky rocket from average 300 pop to 600+ when velious is out, because there are hundreds of people just sitting, waiting for over a year or more now for velious release. I was in the top guild "nihilum" but left before it was GM disbanded, Empire AKA holocaust is now on top, most of its core is made up of nihilum members and a few former 'resistance' players. They basically replaced Nihilum and lowered the recruitment standards a small bit is all.

For new players coming to red, Yeah its tough starting out at first especially with no plat/gear even more so if you made a melee like rogue, warrior, sk/pal because they are so gear dependent(weapon especially) whereas having the ability to sow and port yourself wherever, camp items but be completely useless on raids and not so great for pvp(druids really) are good to start with so you don't feel restricted and you can make plat porting people around, 34 you can go anywhere except circle of misty + evac ej/skyfire. The economy of red is booming compared to where it once was a year ago. People are actually camping items that long ago you physically had to go and do yourself if you wanted it unlike blue server where virtually everything is over camped and everything is for sale/available.

As mentioned in other posts, Yeah red has a fair share of asshats and toxic trolls/players. Don't believe everything you read on the forums, In game and forumquest are two totally different things on red. Can't really comment on the guilds status of that of slosh, and friends and such. Was in azrael for a long time when I first started before quickly realizing too much poo poo disappeared or went to inner core members and you can pretty much guarantee yourself be it azrael, fresh, empire most 60's won't stop to think twice about you if they have the gear and status they need/wanted. There are some good people out there that do a lot of help, Yes there are a ton of twink griefers in zones like unrest, mistmoore, city of mist. With red's group exp bonus + these zones ZEM bonus you just need to out level the pk twinks quickly. I would think when velious hits, these places will still be booming for exp for new players, and most of the griefers will be occupied on their mains raiding/contesting/gearing up in velious.

As aparmenideanmonad said yeah there are a fair amount of bad players who don't know the game mechanics, and are just plain lazy most of the time and want to leech or ride the train with minimal effort. These people stand out pretty obvious if your guilded with them after a few weeks. Part of the reason some of this is because usually on raids, take VP for instance. for something like 2 years in Nihilum EVERY DRAGON in VP was pulled to the zone in, NO ONE except a couple monks a bard and call of hero mages knew the zone because they didn't get to go past the zone in and learn. This is still partially in play for the top guild Empire, They fight some dragons at the entrance, then move to the secondary spot where the bridge and lava ramp down is so you can hide from pathing stuff.

Anyway to some up my almost tldr post which I probably repeated a few things. If you want to play red, and you can deal with the possible griefing or simply are capable of saying ok its a game and logoff for an hour or two come back and hope they are gone a average player can do 1-50 in probably 2 weeks, a hardcore player could do 1-50 in a week from scratch. If you have gear/help, 1-70 is days. Mostly depends on what the driving force is behind your group. If you are a cleric, or enchanter its not a hard ride because everyone needs a cleric, and everyone needs clarity/haste/mez and charm pets outdps most players especially if you pickup the BS pets in unrest/mm.

Cya in Thurgadin

Pwnz0r fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 27, 2015

Dirt
May 26, 2003

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I have the leader tag for UG on an alt druid and I'm happy to give out officer tags. Just let me know when you're going to be online and I'll do my best to hop on. I gave Gakan access to the account but it doesn't seem like he ever used it.

I am pretty active, so I have no problem being around to invite other goons into the guild. Shoot me a tell in game(Innernette) and I can meet up with you.

I am hoping the Velious release and new thread will get some new people to play, and maybe bring back some older folks too. Maybe we can get this guild up to a reasonable size :)

Dirt fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 26, 2015

Daaz
Feb 20, 2004

D.I.Y.

Dirt posted:

I am pretty active, so I have no problem being around to invite other goons into the guild. Shoot me a tell in game(Innernette) and I can meet up with you.

I am hoping the Velious release and new thread will get some new people to play, and maybe bring back some older folks too. Maybe we can get this guild up to a reasonable size :)

I'll be on tomorrow (monday). I might be on tonight after i get back from a bbq i'm going to. We can put the druid alt i'm going to roll into UG as an officer for the specific reason of inviting goons when i'm around. I'v never operated outside of that capacity as a guild officer before, so i dont know how much help i'd be in organizing a community, website, or whatever else goes along with a guild. :)

I'd really rather not roll a druid, but... trying to play an iksar monk as my main is proving to be frustrating and dependent on hand outs. I'd rather be making my own money!

Would we ally with one of the bigger guilds so we don't get ganged up on? I'm all for alliances being made to reduce the amount of jerks who have us as KOS for non-association :x

edit: Okay, rolled my woodelf druid "Foggy" , i'll be on tonight, tmrw, whatever. Hit me up!

Daaz fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 26, 2015

borf
Apr 5, 2006
Is there any system for transferring characters from Red to Blue? I'm starting over again with a friend on Blue and I could really use the cash I had on Red.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

borf posted:

Is there any system for transferring characters from Red to Blue? I'm starting over again with a friend on Blue and I could really use the cash I had on Red.

People will trade for plat. It's about 3:1 blue:red. Just check out the P99 forums.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Blue folks, I have Unknown Guild officer status on my necromancer Xeirak. I am currently 39 and leveling off of spectres in Oasis. If you want to make your way there for a tag, feel free to post when you are around and I can log on. If I relocate, I will also post here and let folks know.

borf
Apr 5, 2006

Maed posted:

People will trade for plat. It's about 3:1 blue:red. Just check out the P99 forums.

After looking into that, they're dealing in 100k+. I'm looking to move 112pp. :(

Dirt
May 26, 2003

borf posted:

After looking into that, they're dealing in 100k+. I'm looking to move 112pp. :(

Send me a tell in game, my characters name is Innernette. I can give you 100 plat to get started.

What class are you playing? I might have some random items too.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

When P99 incorporates Velious, will EQ Platinum still be the way to install and get set up? I'm about to drop ~$100 on a used copy to get running and I don't really wanna waste that if the Velious expansion will require EQ Cobalt or some nonsense.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Pathos posted:

When P99 incorporates Velious, will EQ Platinum still be the way to install and get set up? I'm about to drop ~$100 on a used copy to get running and I don't really wanna waste that if the Velious expansion will require EQ Cobalt or some nonsense.

you haven't thought long enough about how you might obtain this

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
yeah, i'd sell you my used digital copy for only $90. i only accept dogecoin.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Pathos posted:

please just pirate titanium you weener.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Pathos posted:

Torrent it, it's freely available.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Killed specters for about an hour yesterday. Made 150 plat and about a yellow bar and a half of exp.

:feelsgood:

RedSiver
Apr 4, 2005

I've got a 25 druid and an 18 necro on blue and about 900pp banked. With Velious coming out, I really want to make sure I get ahold of the Circlet of Shadow for my necro before it gets nerfed. What do you guys think is the quickest way of generating plat with those two characters so I can buy one before the price presumably goes through the roof? Or is having a Circlet of Shadow not as big of a deal as some people make it seem?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It used to go for 2.5k a year ago but is already on the rise to 3.5k+ from what I've seen.

If I can level fast enough to where I can farm it, I will try to help you farm it. I got mine for free from a goon who helped farm it for me (checked my history and I think it was Sirduh on his ogre SK.) Was a lot of exp and a lot of fun. It also dropped on the very last pull of the night before we were about to give up. :f5:

Siets fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 27, 2015

borf
Apr 5, 2006
I never experienced Velious back in the day. Is there anything there for characters sub-60, or is it all high end stuff?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
There's content for 35-40+ or so, but there's more to it the higher you are and tons of raid content. Crystal Caverns and East Waste groups will probably be a thing.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

RedSiver posted:

I've got a 25 druid and an 18 necro on blue and about 900pp banked. With Velious coming out, I really want to make sure I get ahold of the Circlet of Shadow for my necro before it gets nerfed. What do you guys think is the quickest way of generating plat with those two characters so I can buy one before the price presumably goes through the roof? Or is having a Circlet of Shadow not as big of a deal as some people make it seem?

Is your necromancer an Erudite by chance? Paineel guards are good money for levels 20-30. But it's annoying if you aren't an erudite. It's do able as other races. But it's tricky getting in, and you can't sell /bank in the zone.

Also Gargoyles in oot are good. They drop eyes that vendor for 10pp each, and they are light weight and stackable.

If you get the camp and poopsock hard you can get enough plat together.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 27, 2015

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Get like 2k saved up and then go to EC and buy low/sell high until you're rolling in plat. Low-ish value items are the best thing to do this with, because you'll frequently get higher level players who just want the bank/inventory slot open so they're happy to sell something for 1.8k rather than the 2.5k they're asking. It also helps to play the "I'm new" card, at least until people recognize you.

Use http://ahungry.com/eqauctions and the wiki to compare prices and go to town.

RedSiver
Apr 4, 2005

Thanks for all of the advice guys, I really appreciate it! My necro is an iksar so it sounds like paineel might be out, but I've done the gargoyles in OoT before so I think I might head there to generate some to get some extra cash together. Do you guys know if the CoS nerf hits as soon as Velious launches or is it farther into the future after the launch? The other thing I was thinking is getting my druid to lvl 29 so I can start porting people, do you think that would generate a decent income? I know people pay for ports but I don't know if that's a lucrative route to go or not.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
It won't happen right away AFAIK. They will be rolling out stuff like the removal of class XP penalties and the CoS nerf according to something close to the live schedule where possible. The CoS nerf (June 27 2001) happened 7ish months after Velious released (Dec 5 2000) so you're probably safe for a bit.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

RedSiver posted:

Thanks for all of the advice guys, I really appreciate it! My necro is an iksar so it sounds like paineel might be out, but I've done the gargoyles in OoT before so I think I might head there to generate some to get some extra cash together. Do you guys know if the CoS nerf hits as soon as Velious launches or is it farther into the future after the launch? The other thing I was thinking is getting my druid to lvl 29 so I can start porting people, do you think that would generate a decent income? I know people pay for ports but I don't know if that's a lucrative route to go or not.

Selling ports is tedious, but consistent income. Join Dial A Port (if that's still a thing) and hang out in places like EC and Overthere. The only problem with selling ports is that you'll get stiffed sometimes. People seem to get pissy unless you're just asking for "donations" or "tips" which assholes view as optional. Upside: porting assholes to Toxx when they ask you for another port.

EC flipping is a much better option for starting income IMO. No level requirement, and you can get started with as little as 200 plat; it just takes longer to get to the point where you're able to make a significant amount per trade. You can also do it on your druid, and port people during lulls.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
what should i be looking for weapon wise as a warrior? I used a gift of starting plat after i split it with my buddies to buy a full suit of bronze armor and a silver war axe, but not really sure what i should try save for.

thinking of a yak and a green jade broadsword? I remember lammies being a thing but the price on those is ridiculous.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

faulteroy posted:

EC flipping is a much better option for starting income IMO. No level requirement, and you can get started with as little as 200 plat; it just takes longer to get to the point where you're able to make a significant amount per trade. You can also do it on your druid, and port people during lulls.

I've been on this server forever, and made the mistake of creating a warrior main as my first toon to 60. Now, I had a very decent raid tank, but no real way to farm outside of Seb/HS groups. If I were to start EC trading around the 2k range, what would you suggest are the popular items I could get a bankroll going with without spending 4 hours a day in EC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Dubious posted:

what should i be looking for weapon wise as a warrior? I used a gift of starting plat after i split it with my buddies to buy a full suit of bronze armor and a silver war axe, but not really sure what i should try save for.

thinking of a yak and a green jade broadsword? I remember lammies being a thing but the price on those is ridiculous.

You'll probably want two sets of weapons; one for DPS, and one for tanking. DPS set should be anything with good ratios that you can get; Lamentation, Crystalline Short Sword, Jade Mace, Fist of Zek, etc.. Tanking set should be something with aggro procs. Ykesha is a good starter for tanking weaps because it procs early (29 I think) and generates a ton of aggro.

Just get two of these until you can afford better: http://wiki.project1999.com/Ykeshan_War_Club

Ideally you'll want some combination of the following (until Velious):
http://wiki.project1999.com/Sarnak_Warhammer
http://wiki.project1999.com/Silken_Whip_of_Ensnaring
http://wiki.project1999.com/Trochilic%27s_Skean

Skean is from the rogue epic and loot rights can be bought fairly easily. Warhammer/whip are also rather common in EC.

• Locked thread