Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

shodanjr_gr posted:

How loud would you guys describe the speaker on your watches? Mine feels quite anemic and I'm trying to determine if I got a dud or if that's by design...

For taking phone calls: In a quiet room it was fine for me. I could hear the other person fine and they could hear me fine. I would not use this in a place with a lot of background noise though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

shodanjr_gr posted:

How loud would you guys describe the speaker on your watches? Mine feels quite anemic and I'm trying to determine if I got a dud or if that's by design...

Pretty much the same opinion here. In a quiet room, it's just fine for making calls. People on the other end noticed a quality improvement if I went to the iPhone but volume and clarity were good overall. I do wish it offered you the ability to do FaceTime audio through it however.

As an end-of-day followup, after being more active today (went shopping, did a lot more running around, showed off the watch to a couple people) I still have 55% battery life after 12 hours.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

chaosbreather posted:

I'm not fitness expert but I was under the impression that weight lifting wasn't, like, heart based because it's not aerobic?

Compound lifts that involve a lot of skeletal loading (i.e. squats and deadlifts) are actually a pretty decent workout for the heart. You have lots of muscles under heavy isometric loads, and I believe the tension constricts blood vessels and makes the heart work harder. Whatever it is, after a heavy set of five, your heart is pounding.

But yeah, it's not as effective as running.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Keep this in mind: statistically, there are people who wanted the Apple Watch that heard about the announcement in September who are now dead. Be glad you have lived to experience the Watch at all.

:psyduck:

Macrumors this time of year is insane.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Factory posted:

Keep this in mind: statistically, there are people who wanted the Apple Watch that heard about the announcement in September who are now dead. Be glad you have lived to experience the Watch at all.

:psyduck:

Macrumors this time of year is insane.

I mean the only reason I'm not calling for Angela Ahrendts' head right now is the fact that my 42mm ML Watch could have shipped after I was dead... Gotta have some perspective.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Has anyone else had problems using Apple Pay with the watch? I've tried two different places now, and while it works perfectly fine with the phone, I get the card to come up but it never recognizes the NFC. I wondering if I have a bad sensor, or do I need to press the drat watch against the sensor?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Kenderama posted:

Has anyone else had problems using Apple Pay with the watch? I've tried two different places now, and while it works perfectly fine with the phone, I get the card to come up but it never recognizes the NFC. I wondering if I have a bad sensor, or do I need to press the drat watch against the sensor?

Whenever they show it off it looks like the put it realllllly close to the sensor.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
22% U.S. Orders fulfilled launch day. Apple hosed this up. Angela is getting fired like Forstall.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-watch-orders-22-percent-slice-intelligence-failure-ahrendts-2015-4

Next launch I guess I need to do like those assholes that ordered 4 different colors to see which ships first then cancel the others.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
It's completely laughable that anyone thinks anyone is going to get fired over this. Every Apple launch has had supply constraints. Apple hasn't even figured out how to make store.apple.com work properly during any new product debut.

You sound like a whiny baby.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Kenderama posted:

I used it at Walgreens, a gas station and a vending machine over the weekend with no issues. I didn't touch the watch to the sensor, but I got it pretty drat close.

bobfather posted:

It's completely laughable that anyone thinks anyone is going to get fired over this. Every Apple launch has had supply constraints. Apple hasn't even figured out how to make store.apple.com work properly during any new product debut.

Ever since the iPhone 4 launch I've always tried the Apple Store app on either my phone iPad first, since that always seems to come up before the website, and work better than the website. The only time that hasn't worked for me was for the iPhone 6/6+ launch.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

bobfather posted:

Wait, he might be pasting from MacRumos without quoting. Right??! Dear god please tell me that's what is happening.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Apple vastly exceeded expectations. Heads will roll.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

DJCobol posted:

I used it at Walgreens, a gas station and a vending machine over the weekend with no issues. I didn't touch the watch to the sensor, but I got it pretty drat close.

Thanks. I'll go to Walgreens and try it there instead of at a Panera and McDonalds Drive through so I can get extra-uber-close.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
You guys really don't think they do it on purpose? It happens every release. It builds hype. It's not like anyone who has to wait for one is gonna snag a Moto 180 because they're fed up with waiting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gohmak posted:

22% U.S. Orders fulfilled launch day. Apple hosed this up. Angela is getting fired like Forstall.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-watch-orders-22-percent-slice-intelligence-failure-ahrendts-2015-4

Next launch I guess I need to do like those assholes that ordered 4 different colors to see which ships first then cancel the others.
Why would the head of retail be fired for not having the supply to fill demand? Sounds like a supply chain issue to me.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

gohmak posted:

22% is actually pretty impressive. I'd be curious to see what the previous iPhone release numbers were.

Also Business Insider isn't a real news site.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Why would the head of retail be fired for not having the supply to fill demand? Sounds like a supply chain issue to me.

Because she took away us being able to stand in line for hours and hours and hours and talk about pokemons and anime and how much we love Steve Jobs!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

My watch is en route; so question:

Can you create your own canned responses to texts? Or is it purely contextual by the watch?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

DJCobol posted:

Because she took away us being able to stand in line for hours and hours and hours and talk about pokemons and anime and how much we love Steve Jobs!

It actually may be a bit of a bad move since "lines for the newest Apple product on release day" makes the news every single time it happens and builds hype around the product. I wonder if when they were planning the launch they weren't sure how well the Watch would actually do and didn't want it to turn into news stories of "only 5 people in line, not much demand." Still probably more the insane number of SKUs makes it crazy to tell people what the store actually has in stock.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Walked posted:

My watch is en route; so question:

Can you create your own canned responses to texts? Or is it purely contextual by the watch?

There are like 6-7 defaults, but you can change them in the app on your phone to say whatever you want.

fordan posted:

It actually may be a bit of a bad move since "lines for the newest Apple product on release day" makes the news every single time it happens and builds hype around the product. I wonder if when they were planning the launch they weren't sure how well the Watch would actually do and didn't want it to turn into news stories of "only 5 people in line, not much demand." Still probably more the insane number of SKUs makes it crazy to tell people what the store actually has in stock.
I'm sure it was more about demand, and knowing that they weren't even going to be able to take care of the online pre-orders. Imagine if the order fulfillment went from 22% to 11% so they could have a bunch of watches available for sale in stores. And you are right, the sheer number of SKUs makes it impossible to have even a remote guess of what to have in a store on launch day. Even the iPhone 6/6+ had problems, and there aren't as many combinations of size/color/capacity/color with that as there are watches size/material/color/band. They would have ended up selling out of 38mm and 42mm space grey sports in the first 5 minutes and been stuck trying to offload 38mm sport watches with green or pink bands since no one seems to want those.

Has anyone found a way to turn off the speaker on the watch, but still have it vibrate? I don't need to hear the "ding" every time I get an email while sitting at my desk or in a meeting. The only thing I've found so far is to turn on do not disturb, but that seems to shut everything off, and I don't want that. It would be great if the watch saw that "hey, the phone is on silent mode, I should do the same thing!"

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 27, 2015

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

DJCobol posted:

There are like 6-7 defaults, but you can change them in the app on your phone to say whatever you want.

Has anyone found a way to turn off the speaker on the watch, but still have it vibrate? I don't need to hear the "ding" every time I get an email while sitting at my desk or in a meeting. The only thing I've found so far is to turn on do not disturb, but that seems to shut everything off, and I don't want that. It would be great if the watch saw that "hey, the phone is on silent mode, I should do the same thing!"

In the settings glance (the far left), turn on silent mode, or turn mute on in the settings app or on the phone app. It'll still provide haptic feedback even when silent, I keep mine in silent mode all the time.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Anyone following Apple Watch release rage should look into the various accounts of the Maxfield Apple Watch sale. Backing up a bit, Maxfield is an ultra-high end boutique in Los Angeles. They cater to celebrities and the ultra-rich, and while anyone can go in the store, it's the kind of place where they'll just have an unassuming pair of shoes sitting on a shelf made by some designer you've never heard of for $50,000 (which will actually sell). If you're a proper Maxfield "client," you've got someone who works at the store, knows your personal style, and calls you when they have things for you to buy. (As an aside, another interesting thing about this store is the people who work there work on commission and make an insane amount of money for a retail gig.)

Apparently, late last week news leaked that Maxfield was going to have a few Apple Watches for sale, so naturally, people started lining up. Thing is, unlike Apple Stores where Apple employees are haphazardly managing the line and keeping things "fair," Maxfield straight up didn't give a gently caress. The line grew into the hundreds, and they were taking upwards of 30 minutes to check out one person as they were allowing full try-ons of every model. Additionally, any regular Maxfield shopper was able to skip the line and just buy whatever they want. Then add in the Russian mafia (not even joking) allegedly swarming the line, buying up spots and watches, while the "core" Apple fan in line just gets angrier and angrier.

I can't' wait to see how the Apple Watch 2 launch goes, as I feel like Apple was pretty easily able to get all these supreme ultra-high end shops to sell the Apple Watch for them, wholly unaware of what it's like dealing with Apple people who need to have things on launch day. Maxfield is very much not a place where it's OK to sit outside of it with a camp chair munching on Doritos. On any typical day you go there they've got a security guard for their parking lot. If Apple wants to continually position the Apple Watch as a fashion item, stores like this are important... But reselling Apple products comes with very low margins, and loads of assholes.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

In the settings glance (the far left), turn on silent mode, or turn mute on in the settings app or on the phone app. It'll still provide haptic feedback even when silent, I keep mine in silent mode all the time.

YES! Thank you!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

io_burn posted:

I can't' wait to see how the Apple Watch 2 launch goes, as I feel like Apple was pretty easily able to get all these supreme ultra-high end shops to sell the Apple Watch for them, wholly unaware of what it's like dealing with Apple people who need to have things on launch day. Maxfield is very much not a place where it's OK to sit outside of it with a camp chair munching on Doritos. On any typical day you go there they've got a security guard for their parking lot. If Apple wants to continually position the Apple Watch as a fashion item, stores like this are important... But reselling Apple products comes with very low margins, and loads of assholes.

Were they really that unaware? For eight years now we've seen the hordes of Apple fans and their annual ritual of lining up for days to buy iPhones at launch.

And if anything it sounds like Apple was involved end-to-end with running the show.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
People in line who were bitching to the Apple People about poor communication, Russian mafia, VIP's skipping the line, etc, were told that this is a Maxfield event and they have no control over anything.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sounds like you've inadvertently stumbled onto evidence that People Are Stupid.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there any evidence that obsessively checking your email for shipping updates will speed things up, despite being told your watch will arrive in June? Looking to justify my neurotic behavior.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Kobayashi posted:

Sounds like you've inadvertently stumbled onto evidence that People Are Stupid.

No, I found that earlier- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1874436

quote:

The biggest flaw I see for the Watch is the lack of T9 typing. I really don't like using Siri. I think there's a consensus that Google Glass failed because it's socially awkward. Talking into your wrist in a public place is pretty awkward (altho not as off-putting as Glass).

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

This is almost as dumb as this one idiot on MacRumors who was hopeful the Watch would have Bluetooth keyboard support for text messaging.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is there any evidence that obsessively checking your email for shipping updates will speed things up, despite being told your watch will arrive in June? Looking to justify my neurotic behavior.

Can't hurt. I'm doing the same for mine that had the 24th-8th timeframe even though I can't actually use the drat thing until mid June at the earliest most likely.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Check...your email? Doesn't it get pushed to your phone??

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

roboshit posted:

This is almost as dumb as this one idiot on MacRumors who was hopeful the Watch would have Bluetooth keyboard support for text messaging.

:laffo:

I would love to see some nerd whip out a bluetooth mechanical keyboard while sitting at Panera Bread or Starbucks or something to reply to a text on a watch.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

This is all due to GTAT, had they not been a bunch of lying douchebags there would have been enough sapphire to launch in fall like they wanted to.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Hasters posted:

This is all due to GTAT, had they not been a bunch of lying douchebags there would have been enough sapphire to launch in fall like they wanted to.

So you're saying they should be fired?

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

DJCobol posted:

:laffo:

I would love to see some nerd whip out a bluetooth mechanical keyboard while sitting at Panera Bread or Starbucks or something to reply to a text on a watch.

Pfft they will have a wrist strapped keyboard covering the arm. Somehow connected to the diagnostics port (the band will obviously have a dyi hole bored in to access the port)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finally got to play with the sport black the guy at work got and drat I'm jealous. I didn't spend much time with it but I love how it feels.

I'm also a little surprised how snappy everything feels. The UI seems very smooth and natural.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Apple is apparently doing their typical thing and underpromising/overdelivering on ship dates. I was a mid-late May date and my card was charged yesterday and I'm supposed to be receiving it tomorrow. (please don't probate me SWSP :ohdear:) Kinda surprised it's not a "see it all the way from China" but instead shipping from one state over.

DJCobol posted:

"I have the best watch band; it has a bluetooth keyboard that folds down from it!"

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Macrumors is saying both black models are sticking to their original dates, so that's a bummer :(

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

MrBond posted:

Macrumors is saying both black models are sticking to their original dates, so that's a bummer :(

Mine was a "black model." 42mm Space Gray Apple Watch Sport with Black Sport Band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

• Locked thread