Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Locator posted:

Except that the mess made when there isn't enough parking for the number of units (in residential) or expected traffic in stores (for commercial) is unbelievable. The rules about minimum parking were created to alleviate the giant mess made in surrounding neighborhoods when developments are 'underparked'.

Holy poo poo someone needs to tell universities about this research, it will be revolutionary.

mariooncrack posted:

How the hell is a Camaro considered a compact?

Well, the F-body platform is based on the Nova, right? Same front end suspension, anyway. The modern stuff, presumably, is an evolution of that? I dunno, it's smaller than a Malibu, which is the mid-size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

I can't be the only person to wonder how a bulb burned out on a new car like that.

I see so many new cars with front or rear bulbs out that I have started to take it for granted. I'm in Los Angeles/work in a wealthy suburb and the sheer amount of brand-new, pricier cars of all makes and models with dead lights is insane. It seems that BMW/Merc are the worst offenders, but I've seen various other makes too. I started noticing it a few years back, and have often wondered what it is all about - maybe a mix of DRLs + pricy replacements + police not giving a gently caress?

I've also noticed several new mercedes parked at night with one rear running light stuck on - it usually seemed to be the driver's side/opposite the curb, so I started thinking it was a nighttime parking safety feature but I don't know if that's actually a Thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

eriddy posted:

To be honest, I like the decision the pickup driver made on some level of my being. I feel the punishment (blocking the Camaro in and making the driver furious) fit the crime. The accident as a result was bad but inconveniencing the Camaro for a few minutes on it's own was justified to me in a way. I wish I could explain the feeling I have about this in a clearer way but I'm dumb at words.

What the pickup did was unbelievably stupid, dangerous, and petty. If you're motivated to do that, please restrain yourself. If he'd just let the rear end in a top hat in the Camaro pass him without being a little bitch, the Camaro probably would've wrecked or been pulled over by the cops or something. Because he felt it was his job to punish the Camaro driver, he was involved in what could've been a very dangerous or even fatal collision.

Rule number one of driving safely: don't be a oval office. Don't be a oval office to people who deserve it, don't be a oval office to random people, just don't be a oval office period. Be considerate, even toward people who don't deserve it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I've also noticed several new mercedes parked at night with one rear running light stuck on - it usually seemed to be the driver's side/opposite the curb, so I started thinking it was a nighttime parking safety feature but I don't know if that's actually a Thing.

Rear foglight? Do they let you turn the foglight on without having the key on?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
These are the people you share a supermarket with http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/68068002/charges-possible-for-driver-who-crashed-into-auckland-pak-n-save

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

PT6A posted:

Rule number one of driving safely: don't be a oval office. Don't be a oval office to people who deserve it, don't be a oval office to random people, just don't be a oval office period. Be considerate, even toward people who don't deserve it.

Yup. But what is it about being inside a car that makes people start acting like complete dipshits? How does being in a steel box with an engine mean that nobody else in the world matters? There's some psychology at work here.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

88h88 posted:

Yup. But what is it about being inside a car that makes people start acting like complete dipshits? How does being in a steel box with an engine mean that nobody else in the world matters? There's some psychology at work here.

It's probably the same reason that people are rude to people on the internet, whereas if they met them in person, they wouldn't feel the urge to do so.

rear end in a top hat.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The version of my VW sold in Europe has that. It's specifically for parking on the sides of the road. But it took a significant amount of work to enable here in the US (swapping out light switches and reprogramming the computer).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

spog posted:

It's probably the same reason that people are rude to people on the internet, whereas if they met them in person, they wouldn't feel the urge to do so.

rear end in a top hat.

:mmmhmm:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

That was a euro-feature years ago, but I haven't tested it or needed it... ever, I think. It's usually implemented so you have to park with your blinker stalk either up or down, depending on which side you want lit. Made for curbside parking on narrow, unlit streets.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

bolind posted:

That was a euro-feature years ago, but I haven't tested it or needed it... ever, I think. It's usually implemented so you have to park with your blinker stalk either up or down, depending on which side you want lit. Made for curbside parking on narrow, unlit streets.

That just seems like an overly complex extremely German solution looking for a problem, what is wrong with the old park light setting on your headlight control.

To this day, I have never used the parking lights on a car, although when I had a car break down I left the hazard lights on and the battery was dead within 2hrs. Does that mean hazards take more battery than park lights or was my battery just crap?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I passed a guy last night that seemingly replaced all the lights inside his dash with bright blue LEDs. He had a solid cone of blue light hitting him right in the face. I was wondering how he could see, but it's okay, his car had four headlights, each with an ultra-bright bulb (or had his high beams on) and aimed in a different direction. He was lighting up every part of the road, people's rear view mirrors, and the sky with light.

Of course, after I passed him, he started tailgating the car behind me and they shortly both passed me at about 85 mph, then he started cruising the left lane and I passed him again on the right a few miles later.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I watched my radar lightning rod get pulled over this morning on the way into work.

... the second the blues went on, they slammed on the brakes and nearly came to a complete stop in the left lane. Cop ended up with his arm out the window waving and pointing at the breakdown lane, then she cut off a semi at maybe 25mph and drat near got pancaked.

Last seen: in breakdown lane with an EXTREMELY irate cop gesturing and yelling. Some people :psyboom:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

88h88 posted:

The car is your 'personal space' where the road is 'public', it's the feeling of being in your home despite being out in the wild. We don't think of the car as our clothes but a fort.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We were all taught at age 5 to quietly stand in line: no pushing and never cut to the front. And then we learn to drive where it's a fundamental trait of traffic flow and collectively lose our poo poo.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PT6A posted:

What the pickup did was unbelievably stupid, dangerous, and petty. If you're motivated to do that, please restrain yourself. If he'd just let the rear end in a top hat in the Camaro pass him without being a little bitch, the Camaro probably would've wrecked or been pulled over by the cops or something. Because he felt it was his job to punish the Camaro driver, he was involved in what could've been a very dangerous or even fatal collision.

Agreed. I drive long stretches weekly, and it's a much nicer feeling to be away from idiots than interacting with them directly. If you want to go over 60 in the 50mph canyon zone, be my guest, I'll move over just as soon as I pass this Freightliner. If you can't wait for me to get far enough ahead to safely get in front of this Peterbuilt, then I'll just wait patiently with my blinker on until you pass, so the next guy knows he should wait two loving seconds. If you want to tailgate me in this conga line of passers, then fine, take my spot, if something comes up in the road I'd rather be able to brake and move over if possible than worry about my neck.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Uthor posted:

I passed a guy last night that seemingly replaced all the lights inside his dash with bright blue LEDs. He had a solid cone of blue light hitting him right in the face. I was wondering how he could see, but it's okay, his car had four headlights, each with an ultra-bright bulb (or had his high beams on) and aimed in a different direction. He was lighting up every part of the road, people's rear view mirrors, and the sky with light.

Of course, after I passed him, he started tailgating the car behind me and they shortly both passed me at about 85 mph, then he started cruising the left lane and I passed him again on the right a few miles later.

This sounds like the Tesla cars I've seen at night.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Crotch Fruit posted:

That just seems like an overly complex extremely German solution looking for a problem, what is wrong with the old park light setting on your headlight control.

E46 BMWs also have this and it's enabled by default in the US, flipping my signal stalk when the key is out of the ignition turns on the blinker lights on that side (including the side marker) solid at a reduced brightness.

Park lights on it just do the same thing as headlights minus the actual headlights, so the front turn signal lights are on brighter and the reds are on in the back rather than the ambers with the curb parking thing active.

I've never had a situation in the US where I needed to use the curb light mode, but at least on my car it seems like it would draw less than half the power compared to the parking lights so it makes sense if you actually needed it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

StormDrain posted:

If you want to go over 60 in the 50mph canyon zone, be my guest

Easy there, Sonic!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

StormDrain posted:

The car is your 'personal space' where the road is 'public', it's the feeling of being in your home despite being out in the wild. We don't think of the car as our clothes but a fort.

Do people with convertible tops down subconsciously act more polite?

Obviously the Camaro was the cause and the truck driver was a dick agitator, but my question is about the semi driver. If you see something like that going on right next to your rig, wouldn't you just be freaked out by the potential of damage and start backing off just to remove yourself from the situation? I just wonder what kind of costs/insure/lost time an accident like that brings about and how paranoid that would make truck drivers in that situation. Does being independent vs. working for a giant corporation affect your mindset? Do you start thinking you're the Titanic and nothing can sink you so no need to worry about icebergs brake-checking each other?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Probably busy watching a movie or something.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

wolrah posted:

E46 BMWs also have this and it's enabled by default in the US, flipping my signal stalk when the key is out of the ignition turns on the blinker lights on that side (including the side marker) solid at a reduced brightness.

:aaaaa: I have an e46 - no idea they do that

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

kastein posted:

I watched my radar lightning rod get pulled over this morning on the way into work.

... the second the blues went on, they slammed on the brakes and nearly came to a complete stop in the left lane. Cop ended up with his arm out the window waving and pointing at the breakdown lane, then she cut off a semi at maybe 25mph and drat near got pancaked.

Last seen: in breakdown lane with an EXTREMELY irate cop gesturing and yelling. Some people :psyboom:

I would do unspeakable things to see hear what the offier said. :allears:

xzzy posted:

We were all taught at age 5 to quietly stand in line: no pushing and never cut to the front. And then we learn to drive where it's a fundamental trait of traffic flow and collectively lose our poo poo.

Then we promptly learned that the people who cut the line without the teacher noticing get the last carton of chocolate milk.

88h88 posted:

davebo posted:

Obviously the Camaro was the cause and the truck driver was a dick agitator, but my question is about the semi driver. If you see something like that going on right next to your rig, wouldn't you just be freaked out by the potential of damage and start backing off just to remove yourself from the situation? I just wonder what kind of costs/insure/lost time an accident like that brings about and how paranoid that would make truck drivers in that situation. Does being independent vs. working for a giant corporation affect your mindset? Do you start thinking you're the Titanic and nothing can sink you so no need to worry about icebergs brake-checking each other?

For the truck to slow down .05mph it takes 19 miles for the driver to reach his optimum cruising speed again or some poo poo like that. Really though, it's hard to tell if he maintained his speed, he could have slown down and Mc Douchebag in the pickup could have just matched his slower speed.

wolrah posted:

Park lights on it just do the same thing as headlights minus the actual headlights, so the front turn signal lights are on brighter and the reds are on in the back rather than the ambers with the curb parking thing active.

I've never had a situation in the US where I needed to use the curb light mode, but at least on my car it seems like it would draw less than half the power compared to the parking lights so it makes sense if you actually needed it.

Seems even more weird to have park lights for parking at night on the e46 and also the turn signal thing for parking at night. In a way, I kind of wish it was required to have vehicles on the street leave their parking lights on, I came extremely close to hitting a car head on one night. I was going down my street at dusk, it was lined with parked cars, suddenly one of the parked cars decided to pull out into the street with no lights on at all and I didn't realize the drat thing was moving until I was about 10 feet away. Maybe, just maybe that situation would have been prevented if (the other driver wasn't a moron. . .) the other cars had parking lights on to provide a little more light on the street and help distinguish between what was still and what was moving. I also think the street would just look nicer to see lights on all the cars, kinda like christmas lights. :)

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crotch Fruit posted:

Seems even more weird to have park lights for parking at night on the e46 and also the turn signal thing for parking at night. In a way, I kind of wish it was required to have vehicles on the street leave their parking lights on, I came extremely close to hitting a car head on one night. I was going down my street at dusk, it was lined with parked cars, suddenly one of the parked cars decided to pull out into the street with no lights on at all and I didn't realize the drat thing was moving until I was about 10 feet away. Maybe, just maybe that situation would have been prevented if (the other driver wasn't a moron. . .) the other cars had parking lights on to provide a little more light on the street and help distinguish between what was still and what was moving. I also think the street would just look nicer to see lights on all the cars, kinda like christmas lights. :)

You want cars parked overnight to be required to leave lights on? Are you a battery salesman?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

PT6A posted:

I agree with this completely but I will admit that I felt a good amount of schadenfreude for the Camaro while he was being blocked. The way he cuts the truck off, swerving straight into his fender while braking at the same time, just makes me mad.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The truck was doing Gods work and sometimes it isnt pretty

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

go3 posted:

The truck was doing Gods work and sometimes it isnt pretty

Hargrimm posted:

My dad would have done the exact same thing. It's a mindset of self-righteously ensuring that bad drivers don't get 'rewarded' for their behavior. If that truck had gotten out of the way, then the Camaro would have seen a positive outcome from passing on the right, merging into someone, and tailgating them, and be encouraged to do it again in the future.

The Camaro may have caused that wreck, but the driver wasn't the only one responsible. Mister Highway Gestapo in his truck should have simply allowed the dude to pass the semi in the first place. And shouldn't have repeatedly brake checked him, and sped up to prevent him passing on the grass.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sigma X posted:

The Camaro may have caused that wreck, but the driver wasn't the only one responsible. Mister Highway Gestapo in his truck should have simply allowed the dude to pass the semi in the first place. And shouldn't have repeatedly brake checked him, and sped up to prevent him passing on the grass.

I'm going to interpret "the truck" in that to refer to the big rear end semi that plowed through the two assholes who each deserved it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
From the youtube comments it seems that the mustang owner was charged with driving w/o a license and driving while intoxicated.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BraveUlysses posted:

From the youtube comments it seems that the mustang owner was charged with driving w/o a license and driving while intoxicated.

https://www.ksdk.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/04/27/watch-camaro-driver-causes-big-crash-while-trying-to-pass-on-shoulder/26455597/

quote:

According to Batavia, New York, police, the 32-year-old driver of the Camaro, Kiran Thapa, was intoxicated with a 0.19% blood alcohol content.

He was charged with driving while intoxicated and first-degree unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why in the gently caress would you take additional risks when driving drunk?

Also, that's like, really drunk. I'm not a string-em-up type when it comes to driving at 0.08 or 0.1 even, but at 0.19, you're loving trashed and you have no business ever driving again.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Why in the gently caress would you take additional risks when driving drunk?

I don't think you understand what drunk means

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If mister insecure the loving pickup driver had completed his pass and moved the gently caress over like the law in all 50 states says (in various ways) none of this would have happened, except the drunkass in the camaro would probably have hit someone else. That's a lot of alcohol.

If the dipshit in the camaro hadn't been a dipshit, none of this would have happened but the idiot with the camera and cellphone probably would be stuck behind the pickup for another year or two.

And yeah, I would give a lot to hear the exchange between the idiot and the cop this morning. Hopefully he threw the book at them, that is a lot of stupid bad driving in a short period of time.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

BraveUlysses posted:

Did you mean the Camaro or was this calling back to that Mustang that went into the oncoming lane and drove the semi off the road? Too many drunk people in muscle cars driving semis off the road itt.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

PCOS Bill posted:

Most drunk drivers drive sensibly and don't get caught. Ask someone with a DUI how many times they drove drunk before they got pulled over.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

nsaP posted:

Most drunk drivers drive sensibly and don't get caught. Ask someone with a DUI how many times they drove drunk before they got pulled over.

I get the point you're trying to make but this is an oxymoron.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

davebo posted:

Well he did go up one hill so he might have the hammer down just to maintain speed. Or he's governed at 63 and is going to go 63 as much as he can because he is paid by the mile. Either way he should have at least seen the camaro acting like a fucker and seen the pickup camping out next to his steer tires and dropped speed just a little to let them past. I hate when people hang out beside me, especially at the steer tires because I half expect them to go "OH I NEED THIS EXIT" and sideswipe me.

Oh and I've been brakechecked while in a semi, some people got mad at me for not moving over to let them in (there was heavy traffic and I could not move over) so they passed me, brakechecked, then got off at the next exit. gently caress Paducah.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 28, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

davebo posted:

Did you mean the Camaro or was this calling back to that Mustang that went into the oncoming lane and drove the semi off the road? Too many drunk people in muscle cars driving semis off the road itt.

I derp'd and I should have said camaro

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PCOS Bill posted:

Oh, believe me, I do. I never drive drunk, because it's illegal and stupid, but if I were to try, you better believe I'd be driving (in every other way) within the boundaries of the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

nsaP posted:

Okay, how many times did you?