Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

Not really at present, but ask away here if you want. We have semi retired national level drivers (me), a few club guys like Slow is Fast and also a WRC driver.

I do amateur rallying, but I haven't had the time to get my car ready for this season (or the funds) :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've got a logitech Gsomething (25? Not the one with the clutch and shifter) wheel with pedals i'll let go at a reasonable price

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tusen Takk posted:

they said I was the first candidate to be able to identify FireWire and IDE ports and cables lol

:stonk:

Jesus tapdancing christ why can't the job market be like that where I am...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

So simulator chat...I may have just bought this. Now I need to figure out how the hell I'm getting it here (1000 miles away) in one piece.

Anyone looking for a Logitech G27?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

interview went great, they said I was the first candidate to be able to identify FireWire and IDE ports and cables lol

:stare: loving Christ.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Tusen Takk posted:

interview went great, they said I was the first candidate to be able to identify FireWire and IDE ports and cables lol

Haha, Im not even much of a computer guy and Id be able to do that.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

NitroSpazzz posted:

So simulator chat...I may have just bought this. Now I need to figure out how the hell I'm getting it here (1000 miles away) in one piece.

Whoa. I might just have to build one of those once I find my forever home with a workshop. By that time, the frame will have probably broken in my truck and I can salvage the cab for a project like this and do a king cab version with surround sound. Perhaps flexible screen tech will be consumer-ready and affordable by then, too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

NitroSpazzz posted:

That looks awesome. But heavy. I'd say that's a great opportunity for a road trip with a rental pickup and unlimited mileage.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

T-Square posted:

I ordered mine off of Bavarian Autosport, I think it's something like $30 or $35.

While I loathe bav's website, I'll probably do that, then.

Maybe I'll call them over lunch.

:captainpop: Go on.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

The Honda Ruckus is pretty much the coolest scooter out there. Also the only one I'm aware of that is as regularly modded.

Almost everything I hate about scene cars is totally cool when performed on the Ruckus.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Until you meet the kids riding them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

NitroSpazzz posted:

This is amazing and probably easier and cheaper than a "proper " frame/seat setup.

Actually, thinking about it it's probably a lot harder, but far cooler.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Until you meet the kids riding them.

You mean overly obese guys?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cakefool posted:

This is amazing and probably easier and cheaper than a "proper " frame/seat setup.

Actually, thinking about it it's probably a lot harder, but far cooler.

Nah, all you need is a shell and a sawzall. I bet the local part place would be cool with that so long as the car was on the way out of the lot.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
One last phone question, I discovered Best Buy is offering a Galaxy S5 in black for a dollar with contract through Verizon and Verizon offers the same phone for $100 with renewal, is there something I'm not understanding? :psyduck:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

... is there something I'm not understanding? :psyduck:

Your monthly bill.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Your monthly bill.

Does best buy do something with that? Because if I see renewal for $X and renewal for $X+Y, given apples to apples why would my bill change?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

You mean overly obese guys?

All the expense of owning a motorcycle with none of the fun or utility! There's a group here that rides the same roads we do outside of town ... except they roll out there at like 40mph.

I mean some of them seem alright and I support whatever crazy rear end motorcycle-related activities you wanna do but nothing about that sounds fun to me. Spending 3g's on a ruckus just to drop at least a thousand more into a Yosh exhaust and extended swingarm and stretched tires and gently caress just buy a real motorcycle and go have some fun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

All the expense of owning a motorcycle with none of the fun or utility! There's a group here that rides the same roads we do outside of town ... except they roll out there at like 40mph.

I mean some of them seem alright and I support whatever crazy rear end motorcycle-related activities you wanna do but nothing about that sounds fun to me. Spending 3g's on a ruckus just to drop at least a thousand more into a Yosh exhaust and extended swingarm and stretched tires and gently caress just buy a real motorcycle and go have some fun.

I'd like a Ruckus, but I can't justify the cost for what you get. It should be a lot cheaper than it is.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

I'd like a Ruckus, but I can't justify the cost for what you get. It should be a lot cheaper than it is.

Don't forget to budget in for the replacement engine from a Yamaha scooter. Then you can hit 50mph!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Stock is a regular Honda Ruckus but as mentioned, you can customise them and have them look really cool in comparison to 'regular' scooters.

It's not always about going fast. Look at the ridiculous amount of Vespa/Lambretta owners that use them on the weekend to go hundreds of miles and invariably have them break down. It's fun to just tootle around on the streets with your friends. Yeah if you want fast then you'd be dumb as hell to buy a Ruckus but they're completely different markets. That and they make more sense in Japan/Europe than the US because your roads are mostly boring as poo poo.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 27, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

meatpimp posted:

That looks awesome. But heavy. I'd say that's a great opportunity for a road trip with a rental pickup and unlimited mileage.

I've asked him what it weighs, I don't imagine it being light. I'll probably yank out the heavy seat (electric/heated) to make moving it a little easier, have a bucket to toss in it. I'll have more pictures later but I guess the pedals are upgraded to hydraulic so they feel better, G27 is mounted on firewall then attached to stock steering wheel.

Should be fun, might toss it on some casters or something so I can move it around and not gently caress up my floor.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Does best buy do something with that? Because if I see renewal for $X and renewal for $X+Y, given apples to apples why would my bill change?

Best Buy makes deals for hardware directly with the manufacturer (Samsung, in this case) and can set their own prices, promotions, etc. within the limitations set by their contracts with both VZW and Samsung (or AT&T & Nokia or whatever). As long as your current contract isn't considered "obsolete" (i.e. you don't have unlimited data), you shouldn't notice a difference aside from the new termination date.

BB is probably trying to unload some of their S5 inventory and is probably just cutting into their profit margin slightly to do so, since those phones are worth less and less as the months pass.

Note: this doesn't apply to Apple products. Apple sets their phone prices across the board. That's why you only ever see "sales" on iPhones that are actually just "get a gift card back for $X" with purchase.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

88h88 posted:

It's not always about going fast. Look at the ridiculous amount of Vespa/Lambretta owners that use them on the weekend to go hundreds of miles and invariably have them break down. It's fun to just tootle around on the streets with your friends. Yeah if you want fast then you'd be dumb as hell to buy a Ruckus but they're completely different markets. That and they make more sense in Japan/Europe than the US because your roads are mostly boring as poo poo.

They make more sense in Europe and Japan owing to the crazy licensing structure there, sure. I don't really trust most of the kids doing the mods to be honest; I never like to see tires stretched to their limit on any vehicle.

If that means I see less kids parking these things at 40mph in the turns that we do have, that's ok. As I said in my original post, I understand customizing awkward/unusual bikes is what some people enjoy however it's just not for me. Essentially CommieGIR summed it up by saying they're a lot of money for the return, like most vehicular hobbies.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

They make more sense in Europe and Japan owing to the crazy licensing structure there, sure. I don't really trust most of the kids doing the mods to be honest; I never like to see tires stretched to their limit on any vehicle.

If that means I see less kids parking these things at 40mph in the turns that we do have, that's ok. As I said in my original post, I understand customizing awkward/unusual bikes is what some people enjoy however it's just not for me. Essentially CommieGIR summed it up by saying they're a lot of money for the return, like most vehicular hobbies.

Yeah I'm not a fan of stretching tyres stupidly but it's 'scene' so it'll happen. Also I'd rather kids piss their money away on bikes and maybe learn how they work than end up down a bar every weekend quite literally pissing their cash up the wall or snorting coke... At least they have something to show for it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

88h88 posted:

Yeah I'm not a fan of stretching tyres stupidly but it's 'scene' so it'll happen. Also I'd rather kids piss their money away on bikes and maybe learn how they work than end up down a bar every weekend quite literally pissing their cash up the wall or snorting coke... At least they have something to show for it.

I am for more people wrenching as well. I don't necessarily like the styles and stancing crowd, but at least people are out in the garage.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

One last phone question, I discovered Best Buy is offering a Galaxy S5 in black for a dollar with contract through Verizon and Verizon offers the same phone for $100 with renewal, is there something I'm not understanding? :psyduck:

If they will give you the same deal on a s5 active I would go that route. I have a s4 active and it has put up with all the abuse I give my phones and not skipped a beat.

Don't forget to budget in for the replacement engine from a Yamaha scooter. Then you can hit 50mph!

One of my cousins is pretty into the whole ruckus/scooter scene. His old ruckus had a 125cc motor swapped into with a adorable little turbo bolted to it. According to him it hit 65 before he got scared and backed off the throttle. He sold that and built a zuma, which looks pretty good

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Nah, all you need is a shell and a sawzall. I bet the local part place would be cool with that so long as the car was on the way out of the lot.

The car part is easy, getting all the pc controls wired in would be the difficult part. I'd love to map all the vehicle controls to keys and have them actually work though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

iRacing screenshot is not the BMW Z4, IMMERSION RUINED.

In all honesty that's kinda genius. How is it all rigged up to work?

How much of a pain is shipping the G27? :v: Annoyed at myself for not getting in on the ones that went for $150 new on Slickdeals a week or so ago.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

Also I'd rather kids piss their money away on bikes and maybe learn how they work than end up down a bar every weekend quite literally pissing their cash up the wall or snorting coke... At least they have something to show for it.

The Honda Ruckus:

Coke Dealer's Worst Nightmare.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
New cats that I bought brand new are defective. I paid $600 for the part and $400 to install it along with some new manifold studs.

Now the cats are rattling because they're defective, if I want to claim my warranty and get a new one I have to pay over $60 to ship it back, and then pay the shop another $200 to install them.

Or since I have new studs now and everything was recently installed I can maybe just swap it out myself.

Or I can just not bother and knock all the honeycomb crap out with a really long screwdriver.

At least those 4 weeks without the rattling were pretty sweet.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

The Honda Ruckus:

Coke Dealer's Worst Nightmare.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

See? How will he be able to keep up with his DeLorean if he can't sell coke, because the kids bought a Honda Ruckus instead! :argh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

iRacing screenshot is not the BMW Z4, IMMERSION RUINED.

In all honesty that's kinda genius. How is it all rigged up to work?

How much of a pain is shipping the G27? :v: Annoyed at myself for not getting in on the ones that went for $150 new on Slickdeals a week or so ago.

The G27 is mounted somehow to the old firewall then the steering column makes up with it somehow. Everything else looks like it pretty much just sits in place. I'm waiting on more pictures.

G27 wouldn't be bad to ship. It's still in the box it came in, think I bought it when they were cheap on Black Friday.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
I have this week off from radiation, and i have been a good boy and wont work more than i should to compensate. Spent the extra time doing house chores and riding my bike. I also splurged on a sodastream to make carbonated water, i am trying to kick a ridicoulus coke zero habit (were talking liters per day) and after swapping to store bought carbonated water i figured a co2 carbonator was a better idea.

and the R is so close now. I will be stripping out poo poo from an old wreck, but i will be doing it in style

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

CommieGIR posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310560/

New Dirt game is out in Early Access.

Came here to mention this, I think i'm gonna pick it up. It looks amazing and NO loving GYMKHANA. Apparently it's a brilliant return to classic McRae style rally games. No rewind, no disabling damage, you can blow out your tires and gently caress your car up in all kinds of ways.

Also, check out this look at some of the cars in the new Mad Max. That C3 buggy looks ballin' as gently caress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cakefool posted:

The car part is easy, getting all the pc controls wired in would be the difficult part. I'd love to map all the vehicle controls to keys and have them actually work though.

Is there video of it running, do we know if the gauges even sync up?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

T1g4h posted:

Came here to mention this, I think i'm gonna pick it up. It looks amazing and NO loving GYMKHANA. Apparently it's a brilliant return to classic McRae style rally games. No rewind, no disabling damage, you can blow out your tires and gently caress your car up in all kinds of ways.

That was my biggest appeal: Between the return of Group B cars and the lack of freaking forced Gymkhana / non-WRC challenges, this looks like my sort of game.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Is there video of it running, do we know if the gauges even sync up?

Whoa I didn't even think about feedback to the gauges, that's some next level poo poo.

This would make for the best game of I76 ever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

RillAkBea posted:

I actually used to live there. I'm not a whiskey fan but it did smell delicious as the odor floated out of the factory on the afternoon breeze.

Funny story about the founder, he literally stole his recipes from Scottish distillers. He had an internship of sorts and would sneak off to the bathroom to write notes to take back to Japan.
That's not all he took home with him! Married a Scot, too.

• Locked thread