Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Trabisnikof posted:

Well....

For context her unfavorables were 44% in that same poll.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2015/images/03/16/clinton.poll.pdf

Ah ah, I said "accurately describe the basics". While I'm surprised at the unfavorables in that poll, my hypothesis is that 80+% of Americans couldn't accurately describe what happened and that they wouldn't care if anyone else (besides a prominent Democrat) were involved.

Of course there's going to be a reaction on the right to "Hillary did a thing" that splits exactly along party lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My Imaginary GF posted:

Never once used her official email. Used her unofficial email for official business, making it her de facto official email and subject to disclosure. Deletes all the emails rather than disclose them. Is it any wonder that something smells fishy?
De facto? Maybe. De jure? Nope.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

De facto? Maybe. De jure? Nope.

Just cause it ain't illegal don't mean you deserve to be elected President.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Luckily most people who have lives (read: those who don't personally invest themselves in politics) aren't going to be fooled and haven't been fooled by the GOP suddenly becoming hand wringing, heart bleeding humanitarians over four specific deaths in Africa.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

My Imaginary GF posted:

Too fake, even for you. You made the same arguments for the opposite on this forum - that despite illegality, they should still run for their jobs and perhaps even be elected for being ballsy on false premises.

Radbot posted:

Luckily most people who have lives (read: those who don't personally invest themselves in politics) aren't going to be fooled and haven't been fooled by the GOP suddenly becoming hand wringing, heart bleeding humanitarians over four specific deaths in Africa.

I had to show where Benghazi was located to my co-workers on my phone - one of them said, 'Seriously, it's in Africa? Why do we give a gently caress, then? It wasn't the Middle East.'

I think that statement might be America.Txt for me, so far.

Armani fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 27, 2015

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Radbot posted:

Ah ah, I said "accurately describe the basics". While I'm surprised at the unfavorables in that poll, my hypothesis is that 80+% of Americans couldn't accurately describe what happened and that they wouldn't care if anyone else (besides a prominent Democrat) were involved.

Of course there's going to be a reaction on the right to "Hillary did a thing" that splits exactly along party lines.

Are you assuming that people have to understand an issue to form opinions about it? Have you met people?

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It's like, a handcuffed suspect is shot in a patrol car. There was video evidence, but the officer in question took the tape home and accidentally recorded over it with an NCIS rerun, nbd he must have snuck a gun into the car somehow.

No, it's more like she, like her predecessors certified that all job-relevant materials had been provided to the DoS and that she wasn't retaining any. So its exactly like handing over a box of papers and saying that's all the relevant papers. Are there other papers? Could be, sure, but there's no way to know until someone invents a perfect lie detector.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

My Imaginary GF posted:

Rats. I've deleted a personal email. Now I'll never get elected president.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ceiling fan posted:

Rats. I've deleted a personal email. Now I'll never get elected president.

Did you delete it after Congress requested you to turn it over?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

My Imaginary GF posted:

Only 18 or so.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Once again you should stop reading BS off of conservative blogs because that's not true.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Oh for god's sake, it's MIGF. He's not debating in good faith. He's not even doing a good job with his schtick anymore. Why are you treating him like someone you can convince of anything?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

An Angry Bug posted:

Oh for god's sake, it's MIGF. He's not debating in good faith. He's not even doing a good job with his schtick anymore. Why are you treating him like someone you can convince of anything?
He was posting about where Rahm should be in a Hillary Cabinet just like two weeks ago. What happened to "it's your civic duty to vote D", MIGF

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Thread is getting rolled by Amergin and MIGF

Must be Monday

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I would have always thought MIGF would be a big Hillary supporter since she has a similar but not quite as odious brand of politics, who is the MIGF approved candidate?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MaxxBot posted:

I would have always thought MIGF would be a big Hillary supporter since she has a similar but not quite as odious brand of politics, who is the MIGF approved candidate?

Rahm, of course.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FAUXTON posted:

Rahm, of course.

Dude was pushing Rauner for a while, too. :lol:

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

An anthropomorphization of the entire city of Chicago.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RIP President Rand Paul.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

He's not wrong.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

He's regurgitating 30-year-old geopolitical thought from the Reagan era. Vintage fart-huffing right there.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JT Jag posted:

He's not wrong.

Yeah, but he is trying to get the votes of people who are wrong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

He's not wrong.

His reason isn't that it led to a decades long quagmire spending untold amounts of blood and treasure from all sides but that Saddam was a strong bulwark against Iran.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

zoux posted:

His reason isn't that it led to a decades long quagmire spending untold amounts of blood and treasure from all sides but that Saddam was a strong bulwark against Iran.
He's still not wrong.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, Israel's Best Friend, Saddam Hussein

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

He's still not wrong.

Yeah but that's hosed up and no one on the left or the right is going to agree with his rationale.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

JT Jag posted:

He's still not wrong.

No, he's wrong broadly but also in detail. It's like saying the sun rises and sets daily but also claiming that happens because the sun revolves around the earth. Yes, the sun indeed rises and sets daily but it sure as poo poo doesn't revolve around the earth. That's still wrong and he doesn't get loving partial credit for reciting the position of the Reagan administration regarding the middle east.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yes I too believe that if Hussein was still in power we'd have ISIS crawling around the place and daily carbombings of hundreds of people.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I hate this narrative.

Rand Paul posted:

“I think Israel is one of our best allies and best friends around the world, they’re the only the democracy in the Middle East, and I’m very supportive of them,” Paul said.

Yes I know they are a democracy but, you only get to vote if you are jewish or you are part of the arab minority still living there, the same arab minority that many in Bibi's cabinet wants to expel from Israel. But, it's a democracy. Plus, I'd argue that we are Israel's only friend in the world and they should be reminded of that often and forcefully.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FAUXTON posted:

No, he's wrong broadly but also in detail. It's like saying the sun rises and sets daily but also claiming that happens because the sun revolves around the earth. Yes, the sun indeed rises and sets daily but it sure as poo poo doesn't revolve around the earth. That's still wrong and he doesn't get loving partial credit for reciting the position of the Reagan administration regarding the middle east.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

E: Also that article is hilariously written, with attention paid to weird details.

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 27, 2015

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm a little more weirded out by this argument:

Rand Paul posted:

One day Israel should be independent, and Israel will have stronger national defense when they are completely independent because we force them to buy U.S.-made manufacturers for military equipment.

I'm not entirely sure what Rand's trying to say here. Is he suggesting that U.S.-made military equipment is crap? :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boon posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

E: Also that article is hilariously written, with attention paid to weird details.

Frosted pastries and instant coffee yum!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Dude was pushing Rauner for a while, too. :lol:

I wasn't pushing him, I'm of the opinion that you don't run for Governor of Illinois and politically live if you don't plan to run for higher office. Consider Rauner to be the inverse Blago.

And yes, I don't think Hillary would be trustworthy enough to win the D primary. Far better for her campaign to implode from a well-heeled Illinois grassroots campaign.

After the primary, yeah, vote whoever the D nominee is. During the primary fight? Rahm's the man we need as President, even if he ain't the man this thread likes.

radical meme posted:

I hate this narrative.

Yes I know they are a democracy but, you only get to vote if you are jewish or you are part of the arab minority still living there, the same arab minority that many in Bibi's cabinet wants to expel from Israel. But, it's a democracy. Plus, I'd argue that we are Israel's only friend in the world and they should be reminded of that often and forcefully.

You say that and I hear, "Israel is a democracy where you [get the vote if you're a citizen in compliance with Israeli law]."

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 27, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Radbot posted:

Yes I too believe that if Hussein was still in power we'd have ISIS crawling around the place and daily carbombings of hundreds of people.
We'd have probably seen an Arab Spring in Iraq and Assad-esque brutal repression of the resistance, but the upshot is that with Saddam at the helm in one country and Assad at the helm next door any region-wide resistance would have been less sectarian than the one we're seeing now

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

We'd have probably seen an Arab Spring in Iraq and Assad-esque brutal repression of the resistance, but the upshot is that with Saddam at the helm in one country and Assad at the helm next door any region-wide resistance would have been less sectarian than the one we're seeing now

I'm not sure about that, I don't trust that Iran wouldn't have meddled in Iraq and we could have been seeing Iraq/Iran 2: Chemical Boogaloo.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm not sure about that, I don't trust that Iran wouldn't have meddled in Iraq and we could have been seeing Iraq/Iran 2: Chemical Boogaloo.
I doubt there'd have been an outright war but Iran definitely would have funded any Shia resistance groups, and Saudi would have funded Saddam in response.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

My Imaginary GF posted:

You say that and I hear, "Israel is a democracy where you [get the vote if you're a citizen in compliance with Israeli law]."

Correct; but you can only become a citizen if you are jewish; referring to someone not born there.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

I wasn't pushing him, I'm of the opinion that you don't run for Governor of Illinois and politically live if you don't plan to run for higher office. Consider Rauner to be the inverse Blago.

Yeah, so many IL governors ran for something else after getting elected, like Adlai Stevenson.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I wonder if MIGF even lives in/has any connections to Illinois or if he just woke up one day and decided to be a shill for a specific state.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

I'm a little more weirded out by this argument:

I'm not entirely sure what Rand's trying to say here. Is he suggesting that U.S.-made military equipment is crap? :shrug:

I believe he's saying the US should give them tons of money to buy weapons and not force them to buy U.S. made weapons with said money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
^^^
So basically zero return on an already mediocre investment. What an asshat.

JT Jag posted:

I wonder if MIGF even lives in/has any connections to Illinois or if he just woke up one day and decided to be a shill for a specific state city.

• Locked thread