Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

dupersaurus posted:

I'm going to be taking a trip for two weeks at the start of March, and am thinking what I should bring for clothes. I'll be going to Paris and surrounding areas, and it looks like the weather tends to be fairly chilly and damp during that time. I know that layering is the way to go, and I've got a bunch of sport-oriented pullovers and base layer shirts that all can be pretty warm, but small enough I should be able to pack a bunch easy. I was thinking three of the pullovers, and five or six of the shirts, and maybe one legit warm coat and/or windbreaker. I'll be spending most of the time indoors, but when I'm outside I'll be moving around a bunch. Does that sound about right?

In the case that this isn't humor based, sure, that sounds about right. Depends on what the point of your trip is-- like obviously if you were on business, people would notice you wearing the same stuff every day-- obviously. Consider some bottom base layers or tights too if you have to spend a ton of time outside. No snowpants or goretex will be needed. You can do laundry too, though hotel laundry is lol expensive. I think I once expensed $150 USD for like 6 shirts, 2 pants, and a week's worth of underwear having it done at a business hotel. And as someone mentioned, it's Paris. You'll find clothes to buy if you need them. An umbrella would be a nice item to bring if you don't have a waterproof jacket, or you could buy on there. If you plan on going out to a club or somewhere nice, bring nice shoes. You can't bribe anyone to overlook your shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

If you plan on going out to a club or somewhere nice, bring nice shoes. You can't bribe anyone to overlook your shoes.

You can't bribe anyone to overlook your "sports oriented pullovers" either.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

futurebot 2000 posted:

You can't bribe anyone to overlook your "sports oriented pullovers" either.

Hahaha true. I just realized he meant something like "Patriots hoodie" instead of "technical fleece, merino wool, or down hoodie." Okay, I don't know what the overall goals are, but I'm sensing some humor coming from that post.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Bad post maybe, but alas serious; as I was writing it I wasn't sure what I was asking, which should have been a red flag. The OP's been a big help, though. Never considered doing it all carry-on, but I got a bag and I think I can pull it off. Merci beaucoup.

Blinkman987 posted:

Hahaha true. I just realized he meant something like "Patriots hoodie" instead of "technical fleece, merino wool, or down hoodie." Okay, I don't know what the overall goals are, but I'm sensing some humor coming from that post.

Technical fleece is the term I was looking for.

JabberJab
Jan 19, 2015
Great post, and very informative, even from an european perspective. With regard to the Osprey bags, they have top handles, and bottom acces, but true they are more for hiking.

Unfortunatly it appear as the nubie goon i am that i only rated your post as two instead of 5´firve, cause i wanted to go to the second page :-(

Thx and sorry for the rating

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Looks like there's a new, smaller, Aeronaut. Wish they had it available when I bought mine a couple years ago. The big one is great for 1 week or longer, but pretty roomy for the 3-4 night trips I've started doing a ton of.

Anyone want to buy my black 45L Aeronaut (and packing cubes) so I can justify buying the new one? Where on the internet is best for selling something like this? I assume there's a forums.travelbags.com or something somewhere...

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

Kreez posted:

Looks like there's a new, smaller, Aeronaut. Wish they had it available when I bought mine a couple years ago. The big one is great for 1 week or longer, but pretty roomy for the 3-4 night trips I've started doing a ton of.

Anyone want to buy my black 45L Aeronaut (and packing cubes) so I can justify buying the new one? Where on the internet is best for selling something like this? I assume there's a forums.travelbags.com or something somewhere...

Pm'd you. Not sure the price on used aeronauts though!

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
eBay or Tom Bihn forums.

naig
Jan 25, 2006

"crawl, walk, and then run"
Any experiences or opinions about Goruck backpacks? Overpriced or worth the money? Looking at GR2, not sure how it compares with eg. Red Oxx Skytrain.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
They are really heavy. Other than that, they are well made bags.
Also, depending where you are travelling, you might want to avoid looking like you are from military.

naig
Jan 25, 2006

Azur posted:

They are really heavy. Other than that, they are well made bags.
Also, depending where you are travelling, you might want to avoid looking like you are from military.

The military looks point might be valid, although my known travel destinations should not be that sensitive. My main priorities are volume and comfortable carrying system. I have very bad memories of carrying messenger-style heavy bags for longer distances (head- and shoulderaches). Red Oxx Skytrain shoulder straps look thin.

Any other >35L backpacks I should consider?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

naig posted:

The military looks point might be valid, although my known travel destinations should not be that sensitive. My main priorities are volume and comfortable carrying system. I have very bad memories of carrying messenger-style heavy bags for longer distances (head- and shoulderaches). Red Oxx Skytrain shoulder straps look thin.

The Skytrain strap has a good pad on it that doesn't hurt at all. You can replace it with another strap if you like, too.

naig
Jan 25, 2006

Midjack posted:

The Skytrain strap has a good pad on it that doesn't hurt at all. You can replace it with another strap if you like, too.

Even the backpack straps? The aches of messenger-style bags are caused by disbalanced load on shoulders, not thin strap. I want to carry my bag with my both shoulders, especially if I pack all my inventory in it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

naig posted:

Even the backpack straps? The aches of messenger-style bags are caused by disbalanced load on shoulders, not thin strap. I want to carry my bag with my both shoulders, especially if I pack all my inventory in it.

You can't replace the backpack straps but they are extremely well padded.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Straps are better than crumplers.

Tom Bihn's are great alternatives

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey
What about a backpacking-style pack like the Kelty Redwing? Those straps have a ton of cushion, and the waist belt is removable if that isn't your thing.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

naig posted:

Osprey Porter 46. They rule. Fits in all overhead bins without any issue too.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

mintskoal posted:

Osprey Porter 46. They rule. Fits in all overhead bins without any issue too.

I have one but I wouldn't get them. Yes it's one big empty shell but there are no dividers and you need lots of packing cubes. Repacking is a bit of a chore. The top flap is prone to losing things and I lost a kindle already. The side flap drops open if your bag is too full.

Still, used it for lots of trips. I would probably get a tom Bihn or sky train

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

caberham posted:

I have one but I wouldn't get them. Yes it's one big empty shell but there are no dividers and you need lots of packing cubes. Repacking is a bit of a chore. The top flap is prone to losing things and I lost a kindle already. The side flap drops open if your bag is too full.

I have the Porter, and I have never had any of these problems with it. I can't imagine how full it would have to be for the side flaps to drop open. I've had mine stuffed before, and the sides held up fine.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

caberham posted:

We talking about the same bag? I just used mine for a 9-month trip and had zero issues. Held two large packing cubes, my shaving kit and a couple pair of shoes just fine. Loved the flaps for making sure things were compressed down properly. Packing is incredibly easy with the top flap.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Actually looking at the website seems like mine is phased out or something?

The velcro keeps getting caught by the zipper and now kind of got ripped off. Really have to use packing cubes for these open space design bags

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

facey fred posted:

I have the Porter, and I have never had any of these problems with it. I can't imagine how full it would have to be for the side flaps to drop open. I've had mine stuffed before, and the sides held up fine.

Same, and mine's also survived around a thousand total travel days in all sorts of conditions at all sorts of levels of overpacked without any signs of wearing out.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

It's crazy that the Porter is like half the price of all its competitors and I assume it has the standard lifetime Osprey warranty.

I bought a bungee daypack like 7 years ago and hated it the entire time. The belt was so goddamn weak and it put a ton of weight on my shoulders. It was also god-awful for overhead compartments. I saw the bungee back new Ospreys at REI and I thought about it for like 5 minutes before I remembered "burn me once, shame on you."

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I gave The North Face gear a shot. I had read multiple complaints about how the quality of their stuff went down significantly since they went mass market consumer, but I had some 100-weight flight fleeces that I really liked. They held up well with nearly a decade of wear on them. I bought their high end down jacket, the Thunder Micro, with 800 fill down. It had so much garbage down in it-- so many quills poking through, and the nylon itself leaked the good stuff as well. I sent it to warranty repair after 3 months of leaking down.

TNF took about 6 weeks to receive the jacket, test it, and send me a gift card for the retail price of it. To their credit, that process went quite well aside from the two necessary follow-up calls. But, now I'm kinda stuck with this gift card which will buy mediocre gear. They don't make great backpacks and don't have a travel model. They don't make good footwear, nor sleeping bags. Their Denali jacket is very popular, but it's the worst rated fleece jacket on OutdoorGearLab. I would not recommend TNF gear outside of the Flight line for any traveling.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 17, 2015

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Trying to decide between the Patagonia MLC and the eBags Weekender. Really like the plainer/less "business" looking style of the MLC, but otherwise the weekender seems like a better deal. Is there anything else around the style of these two that isn't listed in the OP?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hbf posted:

Trying to decide between the Patagonia MLC and the eBags Weekender. Really like the plainer/less "business" looking style of the MLC, but otherwise the weekender seems like a better deal. Is there anything else around the style of these two that isn't listed in the OP?

Patagonia is a more socially responsible company if that matters to you.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

My wife and I are looking for a two-night backpacking trip in Yosemite in the next few months. Preferably somewhere out in the Tuolomne area where we could camp by a lake one night, anywhere really on the other night, then loop back to our car. Any recommendations?

e- wrong thread but I guess I'll leave it up anyway!

khysanth fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 21, 2015

Rearsby Massive
Jun 4, 2007

Oh Yeah

hbf posted:

I've just started using the Patagonia MLC and it's a solid backpack that fits plenty of stuff (enough for 6 months trip). Goon recommendations always seem to work out.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

hbf posted:

I've got the Motherlode version of the Weekender and I really like it. The way the bag is laid out is really useful and well thought out and for a convertible the shoulder straps are very comfortable. The quality isn't Red Oxx or anything, but I've had the bag for almost 4 years now, using it for around a dozen trips a year, and it is still in great shape.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

the Weekender is totally rad; it's got way more space than it seems like it should as well as oodles of little compartments and areas to separate stuff out.
I just used mine for a week-long trip to the UK and even after buying a load of candies, Fred Perry and football scarves, there was room to spare. I wore it with the shoulder straps the entire time and never bothered with the waist strap and it was just fine.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Well, since I have some time before I leave for a trip I'm going to give the Weekender a try and see how I like it since they offer free returns. Really like the patagonia style more, but for $100 extra...

Does the weekender really not come with a shoulder strap though? Like messenger bag style strap.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

hbf posted:

Well, since I have some time before I leave for a trip I'm going to give the Weekender a try and see how I like it since they offer free returns. Really like the patagonia style more, but for $100 extra...

Does the weekender really not come with a shoulder strap though? Like messenger bag style strap.

I found with real two day loads, my shoulder found the weight uncomfortable and I preferred the double strap.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a convertible bag and I barely use the backpack straps, probably because I almost always have my "personal item" bag with me as well. That said I'm glad I have them when I need them.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

just wanted to add my choice of daybag- I got myself a Fjallraven Kanken a while back and it's wonderful. lightweight, plenty of capacity, folds up into practically nothing- this thing is great if you'll be exploring around a city and maybe doing some light shopping.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

hbf posted:

It's a convertible. It has both.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

the escape goat posted:

just wanted to add my choice of daybag- I got myself a Fjallraven Kanken a while back and it's wonderful. lightweight, plenty of capacity, folds up into practically nothing- this thing is great if you'll be exploring around a city and maybe doing some light shopping.

Looks ok, but I really like how there's more photos of people hanging out in cool places with the pack, than photos showing what the pack does. They're selling an image/lifestyle and not the bag itself which is pretty good marketing/terrible marketing.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Thoguh posted:

It's a convertible. It has both.

are you sure? It doesn't mention it in the description and none of the photos show it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

hbf posted:

are you sure? It doesn't mention it in the description and none of the photos show it.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101

Try this link. You might be looking at a different version.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Thoguh posted:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101

Try this link. You might be looking at a different version.

ah thanks, yes didn't realize you were referring to the mother lode version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I also have the (non-Motherlode) Weekender and really like it. I would advise against getting the blue color. It matches very close with my jeans which makes me look kinda weird. Bummer.

• Locked thread