Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Texibus posted:

We're not going to be getting there till Thursday morning, I guess next year we're going to need to start planning for a Wednesday launch if that sort of stuff is happening. I just remember last year looking at the list of stuff going on at the Convention center and Wednesday seemed like it was for expoers/booth folks, so we passed on that day.

Officially, Wednesday is Trade Day, but because a ton of people show up on Wednesday at various times so they'll be there first thing on Thursday, lots of unofficial and/or offsite stuff happens on Wednesday. Some things are official, ticketed events (but with free admission since they're before the con starts), like the Stink or things run by some of the major gaming hosts at the con like KFG or the Hoosier Gamers. Others are unofficial like stuff at the Colts Grille or orchestrated by various individuals (like the booze and Avalon mentioned above).

If you check the Gen Con forums (don't do that, btw, unless you're checking for people trading rooms or something), you'll see people clamoring for stuff on Tuesday, since more and more people are showing up earlier and earlier. However, these are the same people that don't attend the actual ticketed events that already exist on Sunday, so why they want more days is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I never thought about how weird it is that people clamor for Tuesday stuff and complain about how Sunday is not worth attending. Granted I am sure this is not 100% overlap between those two groups or anything.

I personally would be all in favor of showing up Monday and making it the best 7 days in gaming (I might actually get some gaming in if the exhibit hall and Auction were not going on!).

But yeah, why the Sunday hate? Sure, the Auction is closed and for some reason nobody ever remembers that, but otherwise there are great deals to be had and awesome things to see. Plus shorter dinner lines!

(And yes, let me check the Gen-Con Forums for you, no need to go there. Unless you want to read the dozen Indiana Gay Law threads, I am not even setting a single foot in that likely abyss.)

Haystack posted:

So, earlier in the thread I mentioned that Gencon's official art show switched to a jury system this year, and as a result a lot of the regular local and regional artists didn't make it (including a close friend of mine).
I am tentatively happy to see this, since obviously more art is awesome. Though you not responding earlier in the thread when I asked if your friend was the woman who did stick figure art and made everyone passing her uncomfortable has me wondering if the jury system might not be working as intended. But I am quite happy to be proven wrong and learn they are cutting quality artists.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Quarex posted:

I am tentatively happy to see this, since obviously more art is awesome. Though you not responding earlier in the thread when I asked if your friend was the woman who did stick figure art and made everyone passing her uncomfortable has me wondering if the jury system might not be working as intended. But I am quite happy to be proven wrong and learn they are cutting quality artists.

No, my friend was the lady with the space turtles and other assorted fantasy illustrations. She actually got a couple of game art commissions last year at gencon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've been reading about megagames and they sound pretty interesting. Are there ever any at Gencon and if so what category should I look at? Depending on the price I might have to jump on one.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

One of the guys I'm going to GenCon with is having a birthday while we're there. Any recommendations of something in the area to do? We'll have a car so getting away from the immediate area around the convention center won't be a problem.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

head58 posted:

One of the guys I'm going to GenCon with is having a birthday while we're there. Any recommendations of something in the area to do? We'll have a car so getting away from the immediate area around the convention center won't be a problem.

Shrimp cocktails, steaks, and martinis at St Elmo's.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

head58 posted:

I forget the name of the place but there was a really cool cigar lounge a couple of blocks away. They had comfy couches and alcohol and a decent selection of smokes. I think the place was called Nicks or something?

Do the st. Elmo's thing and then retire there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sigma-X posted:

I forget the name of the place but there was a really cool cigar lounge a couple of blocks away. They had comfy couches and alcohol and a decent selection of smokes. I think the place was called Nicks or something?

Do the st. Elmo's thing and then retire there.

http://nickyblaines.com I've been trying to talk people into going there since 2012 but I keep getting outvoted.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Len posted:

http://nickyblaines.com I've been trying to talk people into going there since 2012 but I keep getting outvoted.

Didn't know this existed. I'd be down.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Double Agent posted:

Didn't know this existed. I'd be down.

I'm too lazy to look at the menu again but in 2012 they had pre-embargo Cuban cigars listed

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I used to work at the cigar shop right next to Nicky Blaine's a while back. If you don't mind paying slightly more for good drinks and a fancy cigar lounge atmosphere, I definitely recommend going down there one evening to relax. Their cigar selection is about average, but their prices are incredibly high, even for a high-end lounge. They will charge you a $5 "cutting fee" if you bring in your own cigars to smoke, but it is still cheaper to bring your own or buy them from Hardwicke's than to buy them at Nicky's. I'm talking $16 regular line Fuentes and poo poo. Also, don't buy pre-embargo Cubans, if they still even have any. Not worth it at all.

Edit: While we're on the subject of monument circle, Georgio's Pizza sits on the East spoke, and is a great cheap little lunch spot.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 27, 2015

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Someone in the VIG forum just suggested anyone who doesn't normally reserve their second room to do so in 2016 and then pool the rooms to be parsed out to those deserving a room.

OP from the VIG forum posted:

We'd have to develop a criteria for what "we" collectively think deserves a room...

The Mod quickly stepped in to point out the many reasons that is a terrible, terrible plan.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Thanks folks. Steak, martinis and cigars sounds just about perfect.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Purge the undesirables

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
Aaagh I wish I could do this, but my financial situation is even shittier than it was last year, when I had to cancel my plans about three weeks out because of finances!

(I was Hawaii_Lame-o last year, btw)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gencon is the only reason I'm still at my job right now. I know I have 40 hours a week right now and the days off and I dunno if that would carry over to a new place. But my job is run by idiots and it's a pretty miserable place to be most of the time.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Lawen posted:

Shrimp cocktails, steaks, and martinis at St Elmo's.

100% this. My wife and I went there for the first time for our Valentine's Day dinner and were blown away. I had always heard it was great, but it is 100% worth the hype.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

8one6 posted:

Someone in the VIG forum just suggested anyone who doesn't normally reserve their second room to do so in 2016 and then pool the rooms to be parsed out to those deserving a room.

The Mod quickly stepped in to point out the many reasons that is a terrible, terrible plan.

My group did something almost like this last year. We booked two rooms because we didn't know how many people we were bringing, and when we didn't need the second one, we transferred it to a friend.

We also subsidized a bit of the trip for another friend who came in our group because he had been wanting to go for a while but was between jobs. We called it the "Gen Con Scholarship" where we drag you to the con, you pay whatever you can, and by the end, you're already talking about what you're going to do next time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CellBlock posted:

We also subsidized a bit of the trip for another friend who came in our group because he had been wanting to go for a while but was between jobs. We called it the "Gen Con Scholarship" where we drag you to the con, you pay whatever you can, and by the end, you're already talking about what you're going to do next time.
Haha. We have a friend, who is free to identify himself here if he likes, who got to ride our celestial coattails and sleep on the floor and pay a nominal sum because he was as broke as broke could be but we still loved him. He gained the nom de guerre "Scrap Boy" for also being perfectly content to eat whatever leftovers other people did not want to finish.

I think he makes more than I do now, so clearly his decision paid off in the long run.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Reynold posted:

I used to work at the cigar shop right next to Nicky Blaine's a while back. If you don't mind paying slightly more for good drinks and a fancy cigar lounge atmosphere, I definitely recommend going down there one evening to relax. Their cigar selection is about average, but their prices are incredibly high, even for a high-end lounge. They will charge you a $5 "cutting fee" if you bring in your own cigars to smoke, but it is still cheaper to bring your own or buy them from Hardwicke's than to buy them at Nicky's. I'm talking $16 regular line Fuentes and poo poo. Also, don't buy pre-embargo Cubans, if they still even have any. Not worth it at all.

I was wondering about cigar bars since I'm the only one in my group who enjoys cigars and likely won't have any other opportunity to enjoy one at Gencon, so thanks for the info!

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Haystack posted:

So, earlier in the thread I mentioned that Gencon's official art show switched to a jury system this year, and as a result a lot of the regular local and regional artists didn't make it (including a close friend of mine).

Anyway, a bunch of those artists have teamed up with the Arts Council of Indianapolis to put on a parallel, independent art show! It'll be running for the duration of the con in the Indianapolis Artsgarden, which is an easy two blocks walk from the convention center via the skywalks. It's literally right next to the mall's foodcourt, and a lovely space to boot. Be sure to check it out!

See here for details

Yo this is a good deal for anyone who doesn't want their art stolen by Dark Enlightenment.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Quarex posted:

Haha. We have a friend, who is free to identify himself here if he likes, who got to ride our celestial coattails and sleep on the floor and pay a nominal sum because he was as broke as broke could be but we still loved him. He gained the nom de guerre "Scrap Boy" for also being perfectly content to eat whatever leftovers other people did not want to finish.

I WAS THIS FRIEND.

I meant to post about this when hobo-chat was going on, but yeah, one of my most memorable Gen-con visits was when I barely had the money to justify going to the convention itself, with nearly nothing to spend on food. I still had an awesome time.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

ErichZahn posted:

Yo this is a good deal for anyone who doesn't want their art stolen by Dark Enlightenment.

care to elaborate?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

With the event list going live soon (days from now I think) is there a list of goon events?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
People are encouraged to put their events in the goon attendees spreadsheet but it is (understandably) a little sparse right now. A good time to bring it back up for those of us going to Gen Con to add in at least some of their info:

https://docs.google.com/a/temple.edu/spreadsheets/d/1v7scHRGWusLa5Hgr1y0ZV7IT5ZBhAqW1zGHX3NWPvLA/edit#gid=0

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nesbit37 posted:

People are encouraged to put their events in the goon attendees spreadsheet but it is (understandably) a little sparse right now. A good time to bring it back up for those of us going to Gen Con to add in at least some of their info:

https://docs.google.com/a/temple.edu/spreadsheets/d/1v7scHRGWusLa5Hgr1y0ZV7IT5ZBhAqW1zGHX3NWPvLA/edit#gid=0

I meant to add my stuff months ago. No events but I want to do more than walk around and spend money this year so I'm gonna try and do all sorts of stuff.

We're taking a bus again this year so I won't be bringing much again. Maybe some commander decks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just bought my badge today. First time going, and first time visiting Indi. I'll be there for a week and a half total for work reasons, anything else in the area I should be looking to check out before/after Gen Con?

Also, I"m trying to plan on what to bring as far as luggage in case I buy a lot of games/stuff. How are the prices? Good sales and deals? The last con I was at the prices were a bit higher than online except for ding and dent copies.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 5, 2015

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Bottom Liner posted:

Just bought my badge today. First time going, and first time visiting Indi. I'll be there for a week and a half total for work reasons, anything else in the area I should be looking to check out before/after Gen Con?

Also, I"m trying to plan on what to bring as far as luggage in case I buy a lot of games/stuff. How are the prices? Good sales and deals? The last con I was at the prices were a bit higher than online except for ding and dent copies.

If you are going to be in town that long I would highly recommend checking out the Children's Museum (if museums are your thing). While it is definitely geared towards kids, my wife and I like to go by our selves and not have to worry about keeping an eye on a little one.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

There are a number of museums, if you're into that sort of thing. The aforementioned Children's museum is the most famous, although I haven't personally gone. Then there's the Indianapolis Museum of Art, which is very impressive in its own right and which has a really lovely set of parks on its grounds. After that, there are several museums downtown: a civil war museum under the central monument, a military history museum in the war memorial three blocks north of the central circle (which has a stunning shine up top), and a cluster of museums along the southern end of the downtown canal -- the most interesting of which is probably either the NCAA museum or the Native American museum.

Then there's the zoo/botanical gardens, which are an easy walk/drive across the river from the canal museums.

Apart from that, there's usually various concerts, shows, or sporting events going on.

If you just want to kill time with a drink the Elbow Room is an extremely chill downtown bar.

Finally, if you really get bored you can wander a mile or two northeast of downtown and get drugs/prostitutes/mugged.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Oh yeah, with regards to the luggage thing, an option you might consider is just shipping whatever you buy directly back home. There's even a fedex booth in the halls.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sweet, thanks for the tips guys. I'm really excited, going to live off of coffee and gaming for four days.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Haystack posted:

Oh yeah, with regards to the luggage thing, an option you might consider is just shipping whatever you buy directly back home. There's even a fedex booth in the halls.

It's UPS, but same concept. Although the FedEx Office on the circle is the best place to ship from my wife works there

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Haystack posted:

Finally, if you really get bored you can wander a mile or two northeast of downtown and get drugs/prostitutes/mugged.

Tell me more :stare:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Backno posted:

It's UPS, but same concept. Although the FedEx Office on the circle is the best place to ship from my wife works there

Just an FYI this might cost you an arm and a leg on anything bigger than a 14x14 box. FedEx moved over to dimensional weight so big things are going to be ridiculously expensive regardless of their weight. Also remember that fragile packages need at least three inches of space between the item and the box in order to properly fragile wrap it. The box generally needs to be able to survive a 6ft drop because machines do most of the sorting and throw it at some point. If you ignore this fact, you will usually waive any declared value on the package. UPS has a better insurance policy than FedEx, sorry Backno, but they're similarly priced and FedEx is often cheaper.

Smaller items are generally cheaper through the post office, sorry again, and flat rate shipping is the best option most of the time. Just remember to buy packing materials because the post office won't have them and the postal workers will probably be surly as gently caress.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Event list goes live Monday

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
When is event signup? that's later, right?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Sigma-X posted:

When is event signup? that's later, right?

I believe it's on the 17th, so a week from Sunday

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I cannot believe how utterly I have failed to keep tabs on when the event list comes out this year. It will be pretty exciting to see, though, and then to do my yearly search for TORG, find "All Hail King Torg!," get mad, and not get any tickets for anything, just like every year.

Then go back and sign up for a couple of seminars and forget to go to them. :(

Bottom Liner posted:

Sweet, thanks for the tips guys. I'm really excited, going to live off of coffee and gaming for four days.
This is the proper way to contemplate Gen-Con. A fine tagline, indeed(e).

It is kind of funny how many awesome things have overlapped with Gen-Con in the years it has been in Indianapolis. I am still sad from a few years ago when a Black Sabbath concert followed immediately afterward and I could not go.

CaptainRat posted:

I WAS THIS FRIEND.
You can be again. "Hey guys, I ... ate all my money. Can I sleep on your floor?
"No."
"In your garbage can?"
"No."
"Shower drain?"
"...maybe."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Quarex posted:

It is kind of funny how many awesome things have overlapped with Gen-Con in the years it has been in Indianapolis. I am still sad from a few years ago when a Black Sabbath concert followed immediately afterward and I could not go.

Speaking of, anyone else staying for DCI world championships at Lucas Oil the following week? I'm trying to decide which crowd is going to be nerdier :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quarex posted:

This is the proper way to contemplate Gen-Con. A fine tagline, indeed(e).

Add in some liquor and you've got the nail hit on the head.

• Locked thread