Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

corker2k posted:

Interestingly the vast majority of their coverage to date has been about Nepal and Kathmandu and not Everest and climbers.

Well there are 700,000 people living in piles of rubble in Kathmandu vs. a few hundred rich foreigners stranded on Everest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RalAegidius
Nov 12, 2004

It's a crow. In a box.
Please also consider adding Doctors Without Borders to the aid organization list: https://donate.doctorswithoutborders.org/truenorth/alt/landing_page_onetime.cfm

They already have teams on the ground (they left India the morning of April 26) and are sending more: http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/article/msf-sending-more-medical-and-relief-teams-assist-victims-nepal-earthquake

I have a climbing related question: why don't more climbers wear a ski mask or some other full face protection? I see all these documentaries and video from real events that show climbers with badly frostbitten/icy/sunburned faces, and there is discussion of wind chill of like -40F. So why are their faces bare?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think the problem is, and this is based on my experience of wearing sunglasses in Chicago when it's -20C outside and windy, is that something like a ski mask would quickly become really loving cold itself and potentially stick to the face / make it colder than just having a scarf and hood combo.

If you had some sort of full head helmet that might do the trick but probably would come with additional problems.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

If I were on Mount Everest right now I'd probably be eating my climbing buddies right this moment, I'm impatient I guess.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

smoobles posted:

If I were on Mount Everest right now I'd probably be eating my climbing buddies right this moment, I'm impatient I guess.

why wait?

i've never needed the excuse of being on everest

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
I'd hide behind a snowbank when the helicopter came, and then grab all the abandoned oxygen and go to the summit and moon all those losers who wussed out, as the KING OF THE MOUNTAIN.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
if i were on everest right now id be worried that the nepalese people arent being talked about in this thread

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Troublemaker posted:

Oh dear god, I can't imagine slowly making my way over that horrible icefall and suddenly getting hit by an earthquake/avalanche. Maybe still clipped onto a ladder as the whole thing plunges into a crevasse. Ugh.

:jackbud:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
how will this look on the q2 repoooooooort

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
I don't have money to donate, but to anyone on Everest that is reading this: stay safe guys!

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

if i were on everest right now id be worried that the nepalese people arent being talked about in this thread

This thread has talked about the Sherpa people a lot. There is another thread for non-Everest earthquake news, if you prefer.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

General Bullshit › Everest 2015. Non-Everest-related earthquake discussion is over that way.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Color me surprised when I wake up to find out that my estranged mother is in Nepal somewhere via Facebook safety check-in thing. I have no details.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

"Alex and Sam Chappette via twitter posted:

We are the last team on the hill now. Looks like its over.. Again. Trying to get a chopper via @thebmc. Still sunny

Pretty cool, they've got a delorme location/message thing here.

It's got to be pretty disconcerting to be the last group still on the mountain.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

It looks like everyone has been rescued?

https://twitter.com/ClimbingMag/status/592758112064507906

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Good to hear.

Situations like this are where Twitter really shines, imo. I have no interest in celebrity slapfights, but Twitter can be a really effective medium for quickly relaying breaking news, especially if the regular media isn't on-site (yet).

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

isnt fishtail air the company simone moro owns/flys for?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

It only appears that way. Once the mountain has its prey in its sights, it can stalk for years.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
China has reported no fatalities on the Tibet side. All of the climbers returned safely. They also did it somersaulting down the mountain, hand-in-hand with local Tibetans who were happy to have them there and understand that the Dalai Lama is a splittist terrorist like Osama bin Laden who probably planted bombs on Everest.

In other words, their news organization isn't super-reliable.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Actual China reported at least 20 fatalities in Tibet and rarely allows expeditions up Everest.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Where should I donate if I want my money to go to the dead executives on everest? Thanks in advance.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

FordPRefectLL posted:

If I were really worried about the people of Nepal I would probably use their preferred term "Nepali" rather than the "Nepalese" thing that imperial England came up with but that's just me.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
i have a nepali friend from college and her and her family are safe. well thanks for reading.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Paramemetic posted:

If I were really worried about the people of Nepal I would probably use their preferred term "Nepali"

I thought it was a mod for Unreal

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Glad they got everyone off that they could. This year and the last have sure been a doozy.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If I was on Mount Everest right now I would start writing the $$$ book about this whole poo poo for all the white betas back home.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Why is China so stingy with letting Everest runs happen

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Nope; the Chappette team is still on C2 - http://www.twoadventurists.com/blog/we-are-the-last-team-on-the-hill-now

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Does this include all the hundreds of people reported "missing" earlier, I wonder? Or were they just missing at other camps before they trekked down and got evacuated.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why is China so stingy with letting Everest runs happen

Unlike the government of Nepal, the government of China does not make a significant amount of money (compared to their other revenue sources) on selling climbing permits for Everest. Why should they put a lot of time and effort into attracting a couple thousand tourists a year to remote mountainous regions? They probably get more economic stimulus attracting a couple million tourists to the Great Wall annually, so that'd be the smart place to focus their time and effort and money.

Also I think the North route is considerably more difficult, so they can't just parade a bunch of idiot tourists up the mountain effectively. You have to actually know some mountain-climbing skills to do it from there.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
if anybody had the ability and will to drill a pressurised lift shaft into the side of the mountain it would be china

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Somehow I get the feeling China doesn't want any more international tourists going to Tibet than they can background check and inspect their gear shipments.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So which team is going to decide to try and make a summit attempt this year anyway?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

So which team is going to decide to try and make a summit attempt this year anyway?

I doubt the sherpas are up for it. Most of them just want to get home and dig grandma out of the rubble.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012
24 Green Berets happened to be in Nepal for altitude training and other training with Nepal armed forces. Apparently the some of the Green Berets are doing SAR on routes/base camp for Everest. http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/nepal-earthquake/nepal-earthquake-american-green-berets-reassigned-help-quake-rescue-n349021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

quote:

Also Monday, Secretary of State John Kerry announced that the United States will commit $9 million more to earthquake relief, on top of an existing commitment of $1 million
So like... 1/1000th of an lovely social media iphone app

cool

e: also the US pledged like 1000x that for the haiti eq, kinda weird. i guess we'll need to save every cent for when theres a big san andreas event that causes hundreds of trillions of damage

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 27, 2015

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

zedprime posted:

Somehow I get the feeling China doesn't want any more international tourists going to Tibet than they can background check and inspect their gear shipments.

Plus Tibet is usually totally closed to foreigners in March (the anniversary of the Tibetan Uprising) and July (the Dalai Lama's birthday) because of general periods of "unrest." Sometimes TAR (the Tibetan Autonomous Region, where Everest is) stays closed for the whole spring.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

canadianclassic posted:

he is rich and white

For gently caress sake. He's a professional mountaineer, not "a rich white guy." If you guys cannot loving understand the difference between the rich douche bags with little or no climbing experience that :fap: $50 grand to get practically carried to the top of Everest and guys who make their living climbing mountains, you really aren't worth talking to.

Plus, I will own it. There really isn't much redeemable about rich people period--no matter what ethnicity they might be.

Angela Christine posted:

I doubt the sherpas are up for it. Most of them just want to get home and dig grandma out of the rubble.

Probably 0 teams; however, "alpine" style climbers don't use Sherpas or HAPS.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 27, 2015

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012

Xaris posted:

So like... 1/1000th of an lovely social media iphone app

cool

Not really. Right now it's simply a focus on getting the patient stabilized by addressing immediate needs such as WASH, food, and shelter. Damage and long-term needs assessments are ongoing. US is also sending human assets (SAR teams) which are not accounted for in dollar amounts. The real huge aid push will happen for the rebuilding and recovery stage.

OCHA financial tracking keeps a breakdown of everything.

http://fts.unocha.org/pageloader.aspx?page=emerg-emergencyDetails&emergID=16575

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

For gently caress sake. He's a professional mountaineer, not "a rich white guy." If you guys cannot loving understand the difference between the rich douche bags with little or no climbing experience that :fap: $50 grand to get practically carried to the top of Everest and guys who make their living climbing mountains, you really aren't worth talking to.

Plus, I will own it. There really isn't much redeemable about rich people period--no matter what ethnicity they might be.

Probably 0 teams; however, "alpine" style climbers don't use Sherpas or HAPS.

I remember in the literature written about old school (pre-1980's) alpine climbers, they would hire like 80 people to move their gear to base camp, but when it came to actual climbing, it would basically be just them. They also wouldn't leave anybody behind. I think in the book "Annapurna" (overrated, BTW) it's mentioned that they were all tied together and they collectively refused to cut the rope when one of them slipped, so they all ended up hanging by one ice pick, determined to live or die together.

• Locked thread