Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SeANMcBAY posted:

I liked Epic Yarn but I think this game will be much more challenging just judging by the fact that they're adding a separate easy invincible mode.

Actually all it means is that the base difficulty in Epic Yarn was still too hard for some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah, that mellow mode might be a good thing for normal mode's difficulty. There'd be no point to it if the game were already braindead easy. Besides, look at the games that have a Super Guide, like the NSMB games. Those games aren't afraid to pull any punches in later levels.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
NSMB don't really get hard though, the older Super Mario Bros. games like lost levels are hard because they require absolute precision in many many many stages in the game and cause you to gently caress up if you get things like a power up at the wrong time.

Rayman Legends is still harder than NSMB and that's mostly due to the precision platforming stages where you follow a beat or the Dark Ray time trial stages.

and Land of the Livid Dead from origins will gently caress you 7 ways from Tuesday

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah, that mellow mode might be a good thing for normal mode's difficulty. There'd be no point to it if the game were already braindead easy. Besides, look at the games that have a Super Guide, like the NSMB games. Those games aren't afraid to pull any punches in later levels.

I hope so. There is nothing wrong with an easy game, but the problem with Epic Yarn IMO is that you weren't punished. A game can be easy on paper and still punish poor gameplay. Losing a few gems when there were more than enough to ace the level anyway is a far cry from collectathon games where if you died before hitting your goal, you were poo poo out of luck. By contrast, a standard Kirby game like Super Star or Return to Dreamland or even an easy Yoshi game like Yoshi's Story had you work your rear end off for that 100% rating.

The best analogy I can think of is Mario 64 if each "get 100 coins" course had like 400 coins to choose from. And you couldn't die even if you AFKed under Bowser's fire. And that was the entire game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SeANMcBAY posted:

I liked Epic Yarn but I think this game will be much more challenging just judging by the fact that they're adding a separate easy invincible mode.

Actually it doesn't make you invincible it just gives you a hover that last indefinitely, you can still take damage and fail the level.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

The next Mario game should have a Super P-Wing that just takes you straight to the credits.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/04/preview_unraveling_the_truth_in_yoshis_woolly_world

Wonder Wools are the most exciting of the collectables - if you manage to collect all five within a level you can unlock a new Yoshi design to use throughout any and every level should you so desire. These designs vary enormously, ranging from colourful Flower Yoshi and Circus Yoshi to one that's based upon the Shy Guy enemy. This gives a real sense of reward from completing a level by giving you something tangible to use rather than just the acknowledgement that you have done more required for standard progression.

Oh my god yes please :allears:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
is this going to be the cutest game ever made??

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kurtofan posted:

I dunno, man, it's appearing on WiiU which if nothing else, is pretty stiff competition on the cute front.

I mean have you seen Awesome!'s avatar?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Ugh I hope they announce Animal Crossing Wii U at E3. I'm late to the party in picking up New Leaf but I've been enjoying it for the last couple months and the AC Mario Kart DLC looks so freaking awesome that I gotta have it on the U.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 27, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

If it isn't the cutest on the Wii U then it is definitely a front runner.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Any console animal crossing is a complete waste unless it is completely integrated with an equivalent handheld version and you can pick up your town exactly where it was on either version. The game demands portability. Having a town accessible only on console would be stupid. After Wild World came out there was no going back to console animal crossings. City Folk sucked.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

NSMB don't really get hard though, the older Super Mario Bros. games like lost levels are hard because they require absolute precision in many many many stages in the game and cause you to gently caress up if you get things like a power up at the wrong time.

Rayman Legends is still harder than NSMB and that's mostly due to the precision platforming stages where you follow a beat or the Dark Ray time trial stages.

and Land of the Livid Dead from origins will gently caress you 7 ways from Tuesday

The rhythm levels are all really easy, though

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

greatn posted:

Any console animal crossing is a complete waste unless it is completely integrated with an equivalent handheld version and you can pick up your town exactly where it was on either version. The game demands portability. Having a town accessible only on console would be stupid. After Wild World came out there was no going back to console animal crossings. City Folk sucked.

I just want one that looks like the Animal Crossing course in Mario Kart and maybe a change from the stupid rolling earth camera. I still think the GC one is the best.

A Wii U one could be semi portable too for quick check ins.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 27, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Rune Factory for Wii U please

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

greatn posted:

I agree... there is no way I'd do the daily grind of that game if I had to sit in front of a console and a TV. I'll galdy do it on my train commute to work every day though

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

How long do Eshop maintenance windows last? I got home with an Eshop card right as it went down. :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

animal forest was limited by n64 tech and every subsequent animal crossing has just been minor improvements. i want to see a real overhaul

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

oddium posted:

animal forest was limited by n64 tech and every subsequent animal crossing has just been minor improvements. i want to see a real overhaul

We got Isabelle. :)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

in my opinion isabelle should be mayor .....

also more than eight personalities and the ability to actually put down paths

and a more hilly terrain

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I want live dinosaurs.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

add on a dino park tycoon style minigame

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

I want live dinosaurs.

We've spared no expense.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome! posted:

add on a dino park tycoon style minigame

what happened to your avatar?!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i was given this one which i think is nice.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I dunno, man, it's appearing on WiiU which if nothing else, is pretty stiff competition on the cute front.

I mean have you seen Awesome!'s avatar?

it's not cute at all!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

What was the previous one? I don't have many avatars associated with username.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

oddium posted:

in my opinion isabelle should be mayor .....

also more than eight personalities and the ability to actually put down paths

and a more hilly terrain

Combine Animal Crossing and the town customization from Harvest Moon, imo

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Kurtofan posted:

it's not cute at all!

lol i didnt even see that post

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

oddium posted:

There's a lot they can do with Animal Crossing, but I feel the New Leaf mayor stuff was a good step in giving the player creative decisions over your town as well as giving you more stuff to put money into rather than Your House Size so I hope the next one will continue in that direction. Make an Animal Crossing game that looks like the Mario Kart 8 stage on a handheld and I am loving sold.

e: Awesome!'s new avatar distresses me

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Awesome! posted:

"Suck my nonexistent penis!"

What a loving burn.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

It's true, toads don't have genitals.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I adore how Tropical Freeze and DKCR handle difficulty. Its a tough game, but there are powerups you can buy to help you out. And those powerups have a currency... that you'll earn a lot of if you die often enough in a given level.

Also, I'm at least happy we've abandoned the ole "limited number of lives" chestnut of old game design. Kinda crazy to go back to 2d platformers back in the day and realize how goddamn arbitrary that difficulty is solely because of that mechanic.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

I adore how Tropical Freeze and DKCR handle difficulty. Its a tough game, but there are powerups you can buy to help you out. And those powerups have a currency... that you'll earn a lot of if you die often enough in a given level.

Also, I'm at least happy we've abandoned the ole "limited number of lives" chestnut of old game design. Kinda crazy to go back to 2d platformers back in the day and realize how goddamn arbitrary that difficulty is solely because of that mechanic.

But Tropical Freeze and DKCR both have a lives system. :confused:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I got really scared in Returns when I'd run low on lives because I had no idea what would happen.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Starhawk64 posted:

But Tropical Freeze and DKCR both have a lives system. :confused:

I haven't played Tropical Freeze yet but DKCR throws so many banana coins at you that it makes having a lives counter practically meaningless.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm pretty sure I reached 99 lives sometime during world 2 in Tropical Freeze so it basically doesn't have a lives system

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Moltrey posted:

e: Awesome!'s new avatar distresses me

forever mourn the loss of cute

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Ometeotl posted:

What was the previous one? I don't have many avatars associated with username.

The toad/toadette "Ready for adventure!" gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Awesome! posted:

This new one totally sucks compared to the last. Well, in general it sucks. Sorry. But especially in comparison to your last one which was one of the better SA AVs.

• Locked thread