Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Elth posted:

Except servos and filters are relatively cheap to make, have multiple tiers, work on both item and fluid ducts, and don't gently caress with the rest of the game?

Wait it's an actual thing?! What happened to having them built in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Prokhor posted:

Servos were never built in, although filters were.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Prokhor posted:

Well, I'm with you on disliking the lack of having a default redstone-signal enabled combined servo and filter. I'm not sure why it was necessary to remove that functionality.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BJPaskoff posted:

Also is there anything like EE2's tool (can't remember the name) that I put a stack of blocks into and can build up a wall in one click?

The Builders Wand from Extra Utilities is kind of similar, but without an EMC system its not as useful, because you have to hold and possess all the blocks yourself.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I really like Big Reactors, but the only automation currently available for turbines is computers. I have no idea how to operate those things, and the pack I'm playing on doesn't even have computers anyway. Are there any plans to give those things RedNet and vanilla redstone ports, like the regular Reactors got?

Also, how do you attune the wireless redstone in Artifice?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Grey Elephants posted:

Itemducts aren't working for me, they don't have the blue and red input/output things on the end. Right clicking it cycles between no connection and a neutral connection. How do I fix this? Playing OMP-i.

For most things now you don't actually need filters or servos. Thermal Expansion machines have an integrated servo and will output into the ducts properly. MFR machines poo poo into the ducts correctly without a servo and EnderIO ones too.

Also it's still an "input" without the filter, just one that can't filter.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Prokhor posted:

This scares me because I could imagine gregtech doing it

Gregtech pipes are worse. Each pipe constantly tries to output its inventory into all adjacent pipes without regard for a source or destination so you must install shutters (I think that's what they're called) to force them to be one way only or else stuff just sloshes around in the pipes endlessly.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

MechaCrash posted:

Also, how do you attune the wireless redstone in Artifice?

Toss them onto an anvil and give them a name.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I like rocko's pack. However I think the quests should do more to list what ingredients you'll need and what subcomponents you need to go through. It does this a lot already for big reactors and tinker's construct but thermal expansion I needed to consult nei a lot and mekanism and glacticraft have their own set of subcomponents to learn, it's annoying.

I didn't know how to use the smelter to make obisidion though, that was pretty great.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Acne Rain posted:

I like rocko's pack. However I think the quests should do more to list what ingredients you'll need and what subcomponents you need to go through. It does this a lot already for big reactors and tinker's construct but thermal expansion I needed to consult nei a lot and mekanism and glacticraft have their own set of subcomponents to learn, it's annoying.

I didn't know how to use the smelter to make obisidion though, that was pretty great.

What would be a particularly good example? I am editing the quest book over this extended weekend I am taking.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Well, I was going to do the mekanism solar panel quest. I nei'd it and it had unfamiliar subcomponents. I nei'd that and it had subcomponents too. Then I gave up and did something else.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Acne Rain posted:

Well, I was going to do the mekanism solar panel quest. I nei'd it and it had unfamiliar subcomponents. I nei'd that and it had subcomponents too. Then I gave up and did something else.

That is pretty much modded Minecraft in a nutshell.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah but the quest book could do it at least do it a little better.

Acne Rain posted:

I wasn't expecting you to mention the solar panel. I'd figure the digital miner would be the big pain in the rear end. A problem with Mekanism is it requires a specific toolchain, and I didn't make starter quests in every path that has some Mekanism stuff. One thing I can do is block the solar panel quest until they've started along the path of making the various alloys. I believe it does show which quest it's blocked on, so somebody can see that there's a solar energy quest, and wonder what it would take to start it.

I was thinking about the Thermal Expansion thing. I have to sit around in NEI to deal with a lot of that anymore, and it's a little more tedious now with the machine frames as they are. If I look up the induction smelter, I have to watch it cycle through the frames until I get to the basic one, or click through the frames until I get to the base one, but not click too fast. So I was thinking of a frame quest and then a mise in place quest so the player has all the base ingredients on hand when they start making the machine.

I could probably use a mise in place quest for the rocket. Something that gets me every time is the drat green wool for the oxygen canisters. I forget about it, and I wind up with everything ready, except I have to go beat up some sheep or play with cotton. Actually, I forget the white wool for the wires needed for the beginning machines too.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
actually instead of quests requiring subcomponents, more quests giving you subcomponents and materials directly related to the next quest would be nice. Like a quest before the thermal expansion stuff giving you the machine from and coil. Then looking up subcomponents to make your own things is not as bad, because you at least know the step after and how much you'll need.

The circuit quest yielding an advanced circuit for the nasa workbench was a nice surprise.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
quick questions:
Trying to use modded minecraft to procrastinate from grading exams thermal expansion's item/fluid ducts and it's not working. Thermal expansion machines don't auto-pull from chests next to blue faces, neither does it work if I have an item duct in between. Supposedly, right clicking the end with the crescent wrench should give it an arrow, but when I do that it just makes the end detach. And I can't seem to attach a servo either. :mad:
Second question, what's the best way to pump lava out of the world into a tank instead of bucket-brigading it.
Third, I tried to use AE's meteor detector thing, I found a square where it stopped pointing and started spinning, but then I dug all the way down to bedrock and didn't find whatever the meteor's supposed to be. What?
Finally, apparently your supposed to be able to soak a nether quartz and a charged quartz to get a "fluix crystal" but when I do that and come back, even if I haven't left the base, they seem to just disappear instead.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

quick questions:
Trying to use modded minecraft to procrastinate from grading exams thermal expansion's item/fluid ducts and it's not working. Thermal expansion machines don't auto-pull from chests next to blue faces, neither does it work if I have an item duct in between. Supposedly, right clicking the end with the crescent wrench should give it an arrow, but when I do that it just makes the end detach. And I can't seem to attach a servo either. :mad:
Second question, what's the best way to pump lava out of the world into a tank instead of bucket-brigading it.
Third, I tried to use AE's meteor detector thing, I found a square where it stopped pointing and started spinning, but then I dug all the way down to bedrock and didn't find whatever the meteor's supposed to be. What?
Finally, apparently your supposed to be able to soak a nether quartz and a charged quartz to get a "fluix crystal" but when I do that and come back, even if I haven't left the base, they seem to just disappear instead.

With the servo/itemduct: Point at the chest connection with the servo in your hand and it's either left or right click to attach it. Ducts and machines have never auto-pulled, though machines do auto-push by default. (You can remove that ability now, it's one of the upgrade slots.)

I think the Ender-thermic pump from extra utilities is supposed to be the best way to pump lava? Not entirely sure though, and the ftb wiki suggests there's a config option for it that by default makes it only work in the nether.

Yeah, the metor detector is pretty drat imprecise. I'd suggest trying to triangulate x/z by coming towards the area from different directions. Once you have a better idea of where it is, then start digging.

Fluix crystals are nether quartz+charged certus+redstone dust in water.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, AE meteors are the loving worst because they can be totally underground with no hints and the compass just points to the general chunk. I finally just said gently caress it and, for basically the first time since I started modding, installed an X-Ray mod solely to point that out.

AE meteors are so goddamn bizarre. Like you've got this mod about computer chips and silicon and redstone printing so you can create a digital computer network storage, but to get started on any of it you need to find loving crashed meteors from space that contain the blueprints for those circuits.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Most of the AE -> AE2 changes are pretty neat, or at least provide interesting challenges. The meteors and water crafting are 200% bullshit, though, and a thoroughly terrible idea, along with requiring you to find incredibly rare naturally occurring charged quartz before you can get started.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

taiyoko posted:

With the servo/itemduct: Point at the chest connection with the servo in your hand and it's either left or right click to attach it. Ducts and machines have never auto-pulled, though machines do auto-push by default. (You can remove that ability now, it's one of the upgrade slots.)

I think the Ender-thermic pump from extra utilities is supposed to be the best way to pump lava? Not entirely sure though, and the ftb wiki suggests there's a config option for it that by default makes it only work in the nether.

Yeah, the metor detector is pretty drat imprecise. I'd suggest trying to triangulate x/z by coming towards the area from different directions. Once you have a better idea of where it is, then start digging.

Fluix crystals are nether quartz+charged certus+redstone dust in water.

Ducts used to be able to auto-pull without a servo if you right-clicked them and applied a redstone signal.

Edit: WOW. Seriously ME^4? Wither Witch spawners. Yeah, make me fight one of the most overpowered monsters, en masse. That's reasonable, apparently? It seems like halfway through ME^4's development the author decided to just become a lazy rear end in a top hat and reuse the first half of the mod but with as much combat as possible. I'm having to circumvent most of the combat by digging around and cutting straight to the main objective of each area. It's just not possible to deal with these situations without zerg rushing and throwing torches everywhere or breaking the spawners then dying.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 26, 2015

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Hi thread, I haven't played Minecraft in AGES, and the OP hasn't been updated in over a year. What's the current mod hotness, and how are mods found, downloaded, and installed nowadays?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

Hi thread, I haven't played Minecraft in AGES, and the OP hasn't been updated in over a year. What's the current mod hotness, and how are mods found, downloaded, and installed nowadays?

In order,
1.7.10 is still here, it's old, it's terrible for servers, it sucks, we're stuck with it for now.

Your main packs you would want to try vary on what you want:

Kitchen Sink and the Scrubby Towel:
OMP i, Modderation Permabanned, FTB Infi.. BAHAHAHA no

Let's all get to learnding: Babby's First Space Race

Quest Packs for the JRPGer in you: Blightfall, Regrowth, Babby's is also one techinically

Magic, Adventure, Copious ogrekill quantities of death: OMP Sigma

Magic, Adventure, less deathy: I dunno I don't play these

But what about FTB Really? They''ve abandoned their launcher for the Curse one. They're poo poo, Curse is poo poo, Slowpoke is poo poo. All hail CockMoxie.

Use Technic Launcher. The end.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Prokhor posted:

This scares me because I could imagine gregtech doing it

I can see it now Minecraft 2 - Gregtech edition

Punch tree - Sorry you need an axe to do that
Make Axe - Sorry you need wood and 3 diamonds to make that
Eat Food - Sorry you need a michelin starred chef for that
Get Michelin Starred Chef - Sorry you need everything else in the game for that
You die of Starvation - Game over, World deleted.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, AE meteors are the loving worst because they can be totally underground with no hints and the compass just points to the general chunk. I finally just said gently caress it and, for basically the first time since I started modding, installed an X-Ray mod solely to point that out.

AE meteors are so goddamn bizarre. Like you've got this mod about computer chips and silicon and redstone printing so you can create a digital computer network storage, but to get started on any of it you need to find loving crashed meteors from space that contain the blueprints for those circuits.

its usually easy if the compass marks in 2 adjacent chunks the meteor is on the chunk border dig down and look - i even had one mark in 3 chunks so i dag down in the corner and found it

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

I can see it now Minecraft 2 - Gregtech edition

Punch tree - Sorry you need an axe to do that
Make Axe - Sorry you need wood and 3 diamonds to make that
Eat Food - Sorry you need a michelin starred chef for that
Get Michelin Starred Chef - Sorry you need everything else in the game for that
You die of Starvation - Game over, World deleted.

I think you forgot where you had to give money to Greg's pathion account before you are allowed to download the game, then you have to verify that it's you, and each download of the game requires a minimum size donation, and donations below the minimum size don't count, and only the minimum counts. Oh, and don't forget about the always on DRM that reports everything back even if you stopped playing and un-installed minecraft that you can't get rid of.

:modern games:

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Having previously only played the gimped Pocket Edition, I'm now looking at getting a 5-man server going with some friends once finals are over. Currently running 1.6.4 and some shaders for single-player. I've read the thread OP + the last few pages, as well as the Technic modpacks, and I think I have an idea of what I'd like to try out.

Questions:

How does Hexxit compare to Hack/Mine? The latter seems to be old (1.2.x?) and abandoned, judging from the dev thread and Technic discussion posts. Would love a roguelike conversion mod, but I'll settle for things close to it.

Is Tekkit in any way similar to Starbound in terms of space exploration? I played the hell out of Starbound when it first hit early access, but I got bored with tons of worlds that were superficial and which didn't offer incentive to explore beyond resource extraction. Are there dungeons, etc. on different planets in Tekkit? Am I even grasping the scope of this mod properly?

Thanks in advance.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
So I've been using minetweaker to make some changes to recipes in this pack I'm making for me and some friends and I have a question.

Is it possible to use it to change arcane workbench or infusion recipes in Thaumcraft? I'm mostly doing this to reduce some of the tedium in a few of the mods I've added, but I don't know if I can do that with TC's special crafting stuff.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

RaspberryCommie posted:

So I've been using minetweaker to make some changes to recipes in this pack I'm making for me and some friends and I have a question.

Is it possible to use it to change arcane workbench or infusion recipes in Thaumcraft? I'm mostly doing this to reduce some of the tedium in a few of the mods I've added, but I don't know if I can do that with TC's special crafting stuff.

Use modtweaker

http://minetweaker3.powerofbytes.com/wiki/ModTweaker:Thaumcraft_4_Support

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Awesome. Thanks.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
What does pickaxe progression look like in OMP I? Flint into Copper into Manasteel is the best early game start I can think of.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

StealthArcher posted:

In order,
1.7.10 is still here, it's old, it's terrible for servers, it sucks, we're stuck with it for now.

Your main packs you would want to try vary on what you want:

Kitchen Sink and the Scrubby Towel:
OMP i, Modderation Permabanned, FTB Infi.. BAHAHAHA no

Let's all get to learnding: Babby's First Space Race

Quest Packs for the JRPGer in you: Blightfall, Regrowth, Babby's is also one techinically

Magic, Adventure, Copious ogrekill quantities of death: OMP Sigma

Magic, Adventure, less deathy: I dunno I don't play these

But what about FTB Really? They''ve abandoned their launcher for the Curse one. They're poo poo, Curse is poo poo, Slowpoke is poo poo. All hail CockMoxie.

Use Technic Launcher. The end.

Hey, thanks.

I tried blightfall, and it seems pretty cool and promising.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
For kitchen sink packs some kid on the platform made Project Omnius which I hear is pretty good and Resonant Rise is still a thing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I played and really enjoyed Resonant Rise as a kitchen sink pack, but I also did a lot of reorganizing and adding/removing mods.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I played and really enjoyed Resonant Rise as a kitchen sink pack, but I also did a lot of reorganizing and adding/removing mods.

Isnt that what TPPI is supposed to be.

Me I am playing on several Hermitcraft Modsauce servers which isnt a bad pack, however some servers really give you an OP start (one gives you a chunkloader as well as Flux-imbued Pick, Sword and Windmill/solar/energy cube.

Only problem is that their End is not working so i can't get the ender pearls or enderman head for the Ender IO wireless charger (a must if you have powered armor / tools)

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

What does pickaxe progression look like in OMP I? Flint into Copper into Manasteel is the best early game start I can think of.

In any pack with Tinker's Construct I'd look into pouring a steel pickaxe head asap. Obsidian handle and paper binding's pretty good to go with it. A steel hammerhead with some obsidian mixed in on some parts is good too, and fairly cheap. Slap 1 lapis on each and you're in business. If steel's too big a hurdle, alumite's almost as good and can be made from iron, aluminum and obsidian. Hell, even bronze ain't bad considering the mats.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I think OMP-I lets you smelt iron into steel in a furnace, so shouldn't be too big a deal to get that up and running.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

I think OMP-I lets you smelt iron into steel in a furnace, so shouldn't be too big a deal to get that up and running.

If they have Mekanism you can metallurgic infuser coal + iron to make steel

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TheresaJayne posted:

Isnt that what TPPI is supposed to be.
I think that's what most kitchen sink modpacks are supposed to be?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Rocko or anyone else with experience with COFH ore generation, is there a way to do something similar to Custom Ore Gen's ore veins short of porting the code? Would love to switch because COG's annoying to work with but veins make mining more interesting.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Anybody have first hand experience with Agrarian Skies 2? Hows it playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Threep posted:

Rocko or anyone else with experience with COFH ore generation, is there a way to do something similar to Custom Ore Gen's ore veins short of porting the code? Would love to switch because COG's annoying to work with but veins make mining more interesting.

I am responding in my mobile so I cannot easily site it, but among the new CoFH generators is a vein generator IIRC. There is also a fractal algorithm that I saw some people try to abuse.

https://cofh.github.io/mods/cofh-core/custom-world-generation.html

• Locked thread