Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unwirklich
Apr 9, 2015

Teonis posted:

Do not underestimate the narrative tags.

I see your wisdom. I retract my criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Teonis posted:

I agree with Covok here, I woulkd NOT choose +Piercing and +Damage every time. Depending on my character's theme, I'd be more likely to take Forceful, knocking people around, positioning them where you want, and +Piercing (you got that one right) or Messy, breaking enemies arms and legs so they can't act anymore. Do not underestimate the narrative tags. Every time I use one, I remind my GM, and when I'm GMing, I make sure to include how messy just blinded an enemy by raking his face or shattered his leg and now he can't get up. Out of all these tags, I'd say +1 Damage is the most useless; all it does is make my range go from 1-8 to 2-9. When fighting armor, +2 Piercing would be way more valuable, preventing you from losing peak damage, and when fighting unarmored, I'd take messy or forceful depending if I want to knock them back or deal crippling damage.

And let's not forget that a monk with forceful and messy is a whirling dervish of broken or severed limbs and internal injuries sending her foes flying off into who knows where, like a tazmanian devil on crack. :v:

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Error 404 posted:

And let's not forget that a monk with forceful and messy is a whirling dervish of broken or severed limbs and internal injuries sending her foes flying off into who knows where, like a tazmanian devil on crack. :v:

...Says the Initiate player.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Teonis posted:

...Says the Initiate player.

Right, so you know I know what I'm talking about here.

WiredNavi
Jun 21, 2013

caw caw motherfuckers

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Help me make a move DW thread!

In the setting we came up with, the world is basically ruined by giant city-scale dragons of base elements, Dragons of Death, metal, fire, etc. Once, long ago, a great hero slew a dragon using magic Arrows, the Hero's are basically gathering these arrows to try and kill off some of the big ole dragons. The arrows are themed off of Virtues (Courage, Justice, Temperance, etc).

A player recently got his hands on the arrow of Temperance, and I wrote up a move that let him roll + XP to quell crowds and instill calm into situations (From riots to storms). The player liked this but after a few sessions, feels he isn't getting a good amount of use out of it, so I wanna write up a new one. Preferably something that gives him a shot at taking on one of these mountain sized dragons that are tearing up the world.

I'm thinking something that allows him to declare a weakness on something by taking a moment and finding inner calm. Thoughts?

Are the arrows supposed to be externalized virtues or internalized ones?

When you successfully strike a target with the Arrow of Temperance, do no damage and roll+(something? Wis?)
On a 7+, the target is calm, still, and defenseless, just for one moment.
On a 10+, a weakness or vulnerability of the target is exposed during that moment of stillness.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

beta versions of:

The Cosmic Herald (The Atheist Paladin)

anti-god warrior trying to convert (save) as many people as he can before a being outside of time, space, and reason shows up and makes something awesome happen (brings eternal peace and enlightenment/destroys all of existence). Can be played as a skilled fighter who isn't going to stand for people talking poo poo about his patron, or as a charismatic cult leader just looking out for everyone's best interest. Has dimensional shenanigans and "spells" dealing with messing about with time and space.

The Kombatant (Fighting Game Character)

Primarily inspired by Mortal Kombat though it uses stuff from fighting games in general. Burn meter to EX your attacks! Grapple dudes and throw them around! Challenge people to Fatal Combat! GET OVER HERE!

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
Love the Herald concept.

Do you intend for Wormhole to allow traversal to another location?

Kombatant is cool so far.

RSIxidor fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 27, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Wormhole isn't meant to allow traversal across large distances (maybe the Advanced Move version of it?), it's mostly like creating your own door to get around walls, or creating a hole in the floor for a quick escape to the room below.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Wormhole isn't meant to allow traversal across large distances (maybe the Advanced Move version of it?), it's mostly like creating your own door to get around walls, or creating a hole in the floor for a quick escape to the room below.

Neat.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I really like the Cosmic Herald, but I feel Invoke The Beyond could use another option or two, maybe something like temporary blight, curses, plague/pox, etc.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'm working on a new playbook that's probably my most complicated so far, it's a customizable class based on all the sorts of special/weird miniboss zombies you see in games and fiction. The advanced moves are nowhere near complete yet, but I was wondering what people thought of the basic archetype moves:

ELITE ZOMBIE SQUAD

Originally they were all going to be seperate playbooks, but it was proving difficult to make enough meaningful content for each to justify them all being separate.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I'm working on a new playbook that's probably my most complicated so far, it's a customizable class based on all the sorts of special/weird miniboss zombies you see in games and fiction. The advanced moves are nowhere near complete yet, but I was wondering what people thought of the basic archetype moves:

ELITE ZOMBIE SQUAD

Originally they were all going to be seperate playbooks, but it was proving difficult to make enough meaningful content for each to justify them all being separate.

I don't have any notes on this, but it seems cool. You know what would be cooler? A whole Left 4 Dead-inspired Zombie World hack. Just add The Witch and The Choker and you've pretty much got the playbooks already. Talk about taking the murderhobo concept to its logical conclusion!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Something Else posted:

I don't have any notes on this, but it seems cool. You know what would be cooler? A whole Left 4 Dead-inspired Zombie World hack. Just add The Witch and The Choker and you've pretty much got the playbooks already. Talk about taking the murderhobo concept to its logical conclusion!

Yeah my original conception was kind of an alternative party set, but I couldn't really think of what the witch or the smoker would bring to the table as full classes of their own.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Fenarisk posted:

I really like the Cosmic Herald, but I feel Invoke The Beyond could use another option or two, maybe something like temporary blight, curses, plague/pox, etc.

Yeah I develop stuff in stages, moving around bits and pieces as I add more and more, but the general idea is that taking some advanced moves gives you more Invoke options, as well as giving you some sort of passive bonus related to it.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
Did anyone else back the kickstarter for Last Days of Anglekite? My hard copy arrived today. It is a pretty cool little setting book.

I basically presents the setting through a series of adventure fronts, with linked monsters, items and compendium classes. I think it's a pretty neat presentation.

It looks like the PDF has been released for sale now too.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Yeah my original conception was kind of an alternative party set, but I couldn't really think of what the witch or the smoker would bring to the table as full classes of their own.

Witches, I don't know. There's a reason they aren't playable in game, either. Maybe some kind of angsty zombie concept could work.

Smoker's easier. It's got that tongue. Perhaps in place of Spew or in addition it's got a tongue attack. Also give him his smoke without dying to start it. His claws should be fairly useful as well.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
For the witch, I think treating it like the spellcasting class is the way to go. Low damage dice, fairly restrictive spellcasting conditions/effects (to maintain the tone), and maybe a mechanic where you're the brains in the darkness but go berserk in light. You've got a sort of banshee scream or possibly some sort of intimidation factor to work with.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

RSIxidor posted:

Witches, I don't know. There's a reason they aren't playable in game, either. Maybe some kind of angsty zombie concept could work.

Smoker's easier. It's got that tongue. Perhaps in place of Spew or in addition it's got a tongue attack. Also give him his smoke without dying to start it. His claws should be fairly useful as well.

I gave the psycho the option for a long tongue type thing as its infection origin move a while back. Basically a magic rope type thing that it can control and use to grab stuff. My problem with any like extra ranged moves would probably just seem like/actually be a reskinned spew. The psycho is already the kind of rogue equivalent and I figured the smoker is an ambush predator like a rogue.

Although giving the psycho a smoke advanced move is a great idea, I wasn't feeling all that inspired with the psycho advanced moves but I think the smoke is a great avenue to go down, thanks!

Something Else posted:

For the witch, I think treating it like the spellcasting class is the way to go. Low damage dice, fairly restrictive spellcasting conditions/effects (to maintain the tone), and maybe a mechanic where you're the brains in the darkness but go berserk in light. You've got a sort of banshee scream or possibly some sort of intimidation factor to work with.

I actually really like that idea. Spellcaster in the shadows then berserker in the light. Maybe you swap your str and int scores when exposed to light? Could work as a good setup for covering the psychic zombies you see pop up every now and then too.

edit: I've made an alternative version of the playbooks that's at the bottom of the google doc where they're all seperate playbooks. It felt like having 4 archetypes would bloat an already bloated playbook too much so I split em out. At the moment they all have all the non-archetype advanced moves, but I might change that.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 29, 2015

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Well, since the Redcap is basically wrapped up, and I need to do some real restructuring work on the Elite Zombies (need a better name) set of playbooks that I'm too lazy to do at the moment, I thought up this playbook while out on a walk yesterday:

The Infernal Businessman

It's a fairly comedy-themed playbook, it's based on the setting for a campaign I've been running on and off, The Elemental Plane of Business (It's hell rebranded as a massive beaurocracy). This playbook is for one of the plane's inhabitants, albeit one operating outside of its home plane.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Well, since the Redcap is basically wrapped up, and I need to do some real restructuring work on the Elite Zombies (need a better name) set of playbooks that I'm too lazy to do at the moment, I thought up this playbook while out on a walk yesterday:

The Infernal Businessman

It's a fairly comedy-themed playbook, it's based on the setting for a campaign I've been running on and off, The Elemental Plane of Business (It's hell rebranded as a massive beaurocracy). This playbook is for one of the plane's inhabitants, albeit one operating outside of its home plane.

Everything on this guy is CHA-based. He’s a minmaxer’s dream. Maybe throw in something INT-based for creating useless subcommittees to delay your opponent.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
After a delay finally had another session with the gang and ran into the same seemingly Grim World Playbook-centric obstacle: the Necromancer and Channeler characters basically approaching every fiction resolution via their core class mechanic between controlling undead and channeling an element. Are we handling this wrong, or do playbooks like these really just always (such as in the case of the channeler) use their appropriate move in lieu of Volley or Defy Danger or the like?

The Channeler for specifics has his three techniques, one of which is a ranged piercing projectile, one of which is an obstacle / barrier and one of which is a teleport move. Between these he effectively can justify using channeling instead of Volley, Defy Danger and Defend in most circumstances--or at least it appears / feels that way.

I went into an overly long recap of what happened our prior session in my previous post, but I'm a bit frustrated on how we're supposed to handle this and the Necromancer player has decided to swap to a different playbook because while he loves the concept of the class, he was getting very bored with everything coming down to 'I roll a control check and then we try and figure out how my zombie does things.'

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

echopapa posted:

Everything on this guy is CHA-based. He’s a minmaxer’s dream. Maybe throw in something INT-based for creating useless subcommittees to delay your opponent.

or WIS

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

GaistHeidegger posted:

After a delay finally had another session with the gang and ran into the same seemingly Grim World Playbook-centric obstacle: the Necromancer and Channeler characters basically approaching every fiction resolution via their core class mechanic between controlling undead and channeling an element. Are we handling this wrong, or do playbooks like these really just always (such as in the case of the channeler) use their appropriate move in lieu of Volley or Defy Danger or the like?

I went into an overly long recap of what happened our prior session in my previous post, but I'm a bit frustrated on how we're supposed to handle this and the Necromancer player has decided to swap to a different playbook because while he loves the concept of the class, he was getting very bored with everything coming down to 'I roll a control check and then we try and figure out how my zombie does things.'

I don't have access to the full character things you're going off of, but you can probably find a solution in handling it differently. The first thing is, you might not be making failures/partials bad enough. If the Necromancer rolls +control to have his zombie do something, maybe on a 7-9 it does the thing but gets crippled or falls apart in the process, and he's got to stitch it up before he uses it again. Or, because they're brainless assholes, have it do something actually detrimental by accident - depending on the situation. Zombies are expendable minions, right? Have them get expended.

When the Channeler uses his super element shield to save someone, have him still roll Defy Danger to do it - having the shield enables him to Defy Danger for more situations than he could otherwise. If he is trying to use his elemental mastery in a quick-thinking/quick-reacting/straight-up forceful way, have him roll the appropriate stat for it. If he's throwing a volley of whatevers, he can still roll Volley, but have him use some channeling-particular stuff instead of marking off ammo for a bow.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 1, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
That's why none of the core classes has a basic move, but better.

Time for the drawing board.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

echopapa posted:

Yeah I need to swap some stuff to INT or WIS, but minmaxing seems less of a problem in dungeonworld cause the stats cap out at 18. though it does mean you gotta be careful with +1 bonuses that can stack.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Yeah I need to swap some stuff to INT or WIS, but minmaxing seems less of a problem in dungeonworld cause the stats cap out at 18. though it does mean you gotta be careful with +1 bonuses that can stack.

It should be noted that if you have a +3 in something, you are more than 50% likely to roll a 10+ and about 12% likely to fail. Dungeon World pretty much relies on 7-9s and 6-s to keep the game flowing, so if one of your PCs is rolling +3 for everything he cares about, it'll mess with the flow of the game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, the only time I ever try to set something up with a +2 is when I expect the roll to succeed regardless, but I'm allowing the very small chance of failure because it would be funny anyway. A +3 is nearly unheard of.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

Doodmons posted:

It should be noted that if you have a +3 in something, you are more than 50% likely to roll a 10+ and about 12% likely to fail. Dungeon World pretty much relies on 7-9s and 6-s to keep the game flowing, so if one of your PCs is rolling +3 for everything he cares about, it'll mess with the flow of the game.

Is that why in games like Monster Hearts the stats start much lower? So characters can't always succeed in everything they do?

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

Hey guys. I am going to be DMing Dungeon World for the first time tomorrow, and I could use some general advice and recommendations. The group I am running for has just come from a Pathfinder game that slowly petered out. We played Apocalypse World about a year ago under a different DM, so we are somewhat clued in to the play style. I am thinking of doing a Cold War Spyfic meets Cult of C'thulu setting, and start the players off as mudanes (0th level funnel) that are tasked with finding and stopping a serial killer. The play would start with them having tracked the killer to an office building that houses a government agency of some sort that deals with the occult (ala The Laundry Files) that is currently infested with gibbering monsters of the nether. My questions are:

Am I front loading this too much with GM prep? Are there any third party supplements that would be useful here? (I am already planning to introduce Evil Mastermind's madness rules in some manner). Should I stick with the stock classes (for when they level up during the first session) or should I include 3rd party stuff? If so, what would work? Any tips? I already read most of the guides in the OP.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as long as the intended "feel" of the game is reskinned dungeons and dragons bullshit, that could work

but that doesn't seem to me to be the case and maybe you should look into the revised version of monster of the week instead

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Yeah, I would recommend sticking to the intended genres of Apocalypse World hacks, because genre emulation is such a huge part of the system.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
We got to having another session finally, and it felt like it went a lot more smoothly than the first two outings thus far; there were still some moments of getting tripped up over trying to figure out when/which move might be appropriate or if a roll would be necessary at all, etc.--but on the whole, I feel like the gang got to do a lot of over the top fun things and the crew reflected on how what they pulled off would basically not be doable in a stricter system, generally speaking.

To recap, I've basically been taking the gang through the Lair of the Unknown with modest tweaking along the way--and after their prior sessions had been reaching the place and then exploring all the secret laboratory side first, this time around they were trucking through the sparser, more deserted--but also trap-laden side of things before culminating in finding fissures which trailed to the subterranean lair of a frightening number of orcs and goblins. Between sessions, the Grim World Necromancer player elected to swap his character to the Thief playbook (he declined using the revised Rogue) and the Channeler stuck with the Channeler. They remained accompanied by the Grim World Battlemaster and the Monk (which I believe originated from this thread.)

Trying to be more concise than the apocalyptic scrawl I put in here before, basically the gang discovered some booby traps, inadvertently used a necromancy-charged crystal to reanimate an ancient rotisserie pheasant and then unleashed a suspended-animation cat to hunt it down; they discovered the trophy room, which I decided had an exquisite flintlock pistol with some silver shot from the proprietor's werewolf hunting days and not long after the gang found the fissures trailing off into the unknown.

The Channeler, a kobold, decided to go exploring the fissure since he was the smallest of the gang; some distance in, he happened upon a hole which led, to his dismay, to an enormous underground cavern network full of now-rousing goblins and orcs, hastily hauling rear end back to the party as he saw and heard them stirring. Acting quickly and realizing they'd likely be vastly outnumbered in short order, the party set about retrieving everything they could salvage while pooling adventuring gear and the like in order to Home Alone booby-trap the path from the fissures into the dungeon. A high-tension coil of razor-while set like a spring had been an especially dangerous trap the party discovered earlier, so they set it up together with a hair trigger at the exit from the fissure, coupled with a liberal sprinkling of caltrops, before spreading black ice all along the dark rocky approach with the channeler's ice mastery.

From there, a door directly across the hall from the fissure led to an old kitchen with blocked up chimneys over the ovens, so the gang gathered up wood from furniture destroyed by the razor trap earlier to stuff the ovens and used another recovered mechanism to set one of the doors to be able to jam tight (a few decisions along the way during the night had come down to 7-9 results being posited with 'You can arrange one of the two doors to jam--the way into the kitchen, or the way out of the kitchen into the no-longer-secret passage beyond' type choices.) They'd earlier discovered a network of hidden passages between rooms and figured they'd basically engage in guerrilla warfare with the goblins.

One of the chambers they discovered was a supply room full of old rusty mining and farm implements, which they eagerly turned into a pretty grisly braced-pike type barricade in the hidden passage itself. A series of discerning realities and curiosity led to the gang unexpectedly finding a hidden cistern in the supply room which quickly turned out to be a hidden cache of pitch from the construction efforts, with the lot of it all being purely fiction exploration, which was pretty keen. This of course got them really fired up, spreading patches of pitch in the kitchen to really make it a kill box and filling a few small jars and pots with it to lob at their foes.

Gobbos came running, calamity unfolded as they started running slapdash into deadly booby traps; the thief stowed himself into a smaller fissure along an obstacle-laden alternate path which a few goblins broke off to try and explore seeking an avenue around the traps and he kept on working cleverly in the fiction and rolling like gangbusters whenever it came to it, effectively ending up as Batman for that whole branch of the dungeon. At one point some of the goblins made it to the trophy room, pitch black and full of scary taxidermy-wrought monsters and basically went full-on Batman picking the goblins off and then scaring the poo poo out of the last one standing screaming for him to reveal himself. It was a hoot.

On the other end of the road, the Channeler and Battlemaster took a bit of a beating luring the bulk of the goblins and a scary-huge grave orc into the kitchen; it wasn't looking good for them until the monk managed to (fairly literally) pull their asses out of the burgeoning fire as goblins started panicking and trying to double back through a now-jammed door behind them. The orc came powering through like the terminator sowing havoc and the monk delivered a Messy strike to his sternum to shatter ribs and leave him with grievous internal bleeding when they traded nasty, nasty blows. The three of them managed to fend the goblins back into the blossoming inferno of the kitchen before bracing the door shut and icing it over on their side to abate the heat. This basically eliminated eight enemies.

Along the way a goblin dracomancer had gotten into the mix and clearly formed the brains of the assault, directing goblins and a second hulking orc to go to town. With the kitchen route blocked off, they redirected their efforts to the trophy room--which led to the above batman montage--and then failing that powered through the barracks instead. The thief took a shot at the dracomancer with his flintlock before retreating after seemingly dropping him (only to return dramatically later) and the whole gang fell back to their final stand--the giant feasthall which was brimming with traps, as they'd discovered a series of levers controlling them all earlier in the night.

Long story short, a big group of goblins came trucking in to engage the gang along with the orc and later surprise support from the dracomancer, the party started activating traps like lighting arcs and pits and the like in a rhub-goldbergian chaos cascade, the Channeler got punted into a spike pit by the orc and managed to barely catch himself with his staff, the monk ended up pulling off an incredible sweet wall-run maneuvering his way around a half dozen deadly traps that were active and whirling out death in order to dropkick the dracomancer out of summoning a screaming flaming skull at his friends, the battlemaster and thief tag-teamed the super swole orc down in a gruesome back and forth and the dracomancer made for a getaway. Thief is the only one who kept pace on the little bugger, following him back through the carnage and down to the fissure before taking a parting volley with a throwing dagger at him. He elected on his 7-9 to be put in a dangerous situation--so suddenly horribly burn-scarred burly orc arms erupted through the kitchen door at his back as the presumed-cooked-and-dead orc inside bellowed bloody terror. The thief freaked out and began frantically hacking at the arms with his dagger and managed to free himself, but it was a fun little panic moment when it went down.

All in all, I think the gang had a pretty good time and I'm hoping we can wrap our heads around things a bit better as we proceed. As usually seems to be the case, my main retrospect is a need to get to exploring more GM moves so attacks are less frequently 'tries to deal damage.' The main persisting hangup we seem to have is any time a baddie goes to attack someone two or three people all want to pine in and interject with counterattacks / defenses / etc. and often the response to most dangers is 'I want to dive out of the way' still.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just bought and am halfway through the main core book at a gaming store nearby, and I'm a little confused on how people are getting other classes into the game. How does it work? Are there just loose chapters of Warlocks and Monks and poo poo out for download somewhere? Are there restrictions on what you can and can't make in a class? Won't it be kinda bullshit and imbalanced?

I understand that it's meant to be moddable, and I'm intrigued by the idea, but I'm not quite sure how you'd actually pull it off.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You just kinda look around and go "Yeah, that looks awesome." or "that one is dumb" or "wtf, this is too overpowered" and stuff.

Here is the best DW playbook, the B-Baller.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Pollyanna posted:

I just bought and am halfway through the main core book at a gaming store nearby, and I'm a little confused on how people are getting other classes into the game. How does it work? Are there just loose chapters of Warlocks and Monks and poo poo out for download somewhere? Are there restrictions on what you can and can't make in a class? Won't it be kinda bullshit and imbalanced?

I understand that it's meant to be moddable, and I'm intrigued by the idea, but I'm not quite sure how you'd actually pull it off.

There's a lot of custom classes in the OP, and a bunch of them are free for goons or like 2 dollars. The main problem with balance is how much spotlight they can steal from other characters. If you put the Brute and the Princess next to each other, one's going to smash more faces and the other's going to have more non-combat influence, but it's never going to be as nuts as a fighter/wizard situation.

Actually that might be a bad example, now that I look at princess more a resourceful one with a frying pan can be pretty nasty, and the brute's got a lot he can do with crowds/intimidating.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 9, 2015

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Someone should check that showboating algebra.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I remember it was either in the March or April TG chat threads that talked about an "Advanced World of Dungeons", to perhaps more flesh out how to actually run the game.

Well, someone made something named Advanced World of Dungeons, but reading through it, it's mostly more classes and more detailed spellcasting rules.

I suppose adding more complexity emulates the evolution of D&D to AD&D pretty well, but until someone gets the point, I'd still recommend reading through the full DW book, or its Truncated Version and the GM Guide even if you're running WoD as the base.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Peas and Rice posted:

Someone should check that showboating algebra.

I made that as a joke playbook in my dorm around 3 AM while bored. Balance wasn't really high on the list of things I was going for (but if there's anything egregiously bad then feel free to point it out).

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Deltasquid posted:

I made that as a joke playbook in my dorm around 3 AM while bored. Balance wasn't really high on the list of things I was going for (but if there's anything egregiously bad then feel free to point it out).

Sorry, I forget that not everyone quotes Futurama like I do. :smith:

Your playbook is awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Pollyanna posted:

This is my main issue with DW actually. The core classes aren't the epitome of balance either, but some 3rd party classes are just ridiculously imbalanced. Now, I'm not spazzing out about "MUH BALANCE" or anything, and I'm aware that good GM'ing goes a long way to ensure everyone has their fair share of the spotlight, but I feel like DW would be a better game if there would be at least some measure of restriction to what can be considered as a good custom class. Currently, it requires a lot of time and/or insight from a GM to investigate which classes he'll allow in his game. Otherwise you're at risk to find yourself halfway your first session and discover that one of your players is just wrecking the game. That's no fun.