Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

sticklefifer posted:

Well drat, looks like I won a few arguments among my friends. I hope they keep the donation system Gabe said they were planning, at least.

Nobody's saying NO MODDERS DESERVE MONEY EVER, the backlash was mostly against Valve for lovely implementation.

I'd have honestly have been fine with that, but the system was so badly thought out it was ludicrous. I wonder if the donate button on the Nexus will stay now.

Berke Negri posted:

I guess anyone dumb enough to uninstall Skyrim and delete all their mods in protest can enjoy spending the next week rebuilding their Mod Organizer profiles.

I was the exact opposite, I was hoarding mods until I got a better rig. I think I'll keep doing that though and put them on an external.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

This has been hilarious so far, holy gently caress.

I just hope the aftermath is as funny. I wanna see a big Arthmoor rant making GBS threads all over the modding community for ruining this for him. :allears:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
now that the penduluum has swung toward the people supporting paid modding being super angry over video games i get to make fun of them now too

this is gonna own

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

I guess anyone dumb enough to uninstall Skyrim and delete all their mods in protest can enjoy spending the next week rebuilding their Mod Organizer profiles.

You know the saddest part for me and probably me alone that no one cares about?

I hadn't played Skyrim in years, and really hadn't had the time for it before. I was thinking of installing it again and actually playing through. Even maybe playing to the end, which I never saw! Crazy, I know, completing a main quest line in an Elderscrolls game? Unheard of!

Then all of this happened two days later. :smith:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

QuantaStarFire posted:

I just hope the aftermath is as funny. I wanna see a big Arthmoor rant making GBS threads all over the modding community for ruining this for him. :allears:

i'm guessing it'll be a lot more of a passive aggressive "now we'll never get to see how great the xbone could've been" sort of deal

Bel Monte posted:

I hadn't played Skyrim in years, and really hadn't had the time for it before. I was thinking of installing it again and actually playing through. Even maybe playing to the end, which I never saw! Crazy, I know, completing a main quest line in an Elderscrolls game? Unheard of!

im lucky that my second thought when i found out about all this was "oh yeah, my ex's copy of skyrim and all his mods are probably what's taking up so much space on the d drive" instead of rage against vlav

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 28, 2015

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bel Monte posted:

This was pretty much how I felt too. It'd been a while since I did a playthrough so I was getting ready to fire things up.

Then I deleted it in a huff. :v: Luckily the only mod I had installed was that super-duper texture compilation, and it was still saved in my ModOrganizer folder, so I didn't really lose anything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well, that's goddamn surprising, and welcome.

I hope they put in a donation feature or something, because that would be far more welcome, maybe even preferential rates converting the donations into steam funbux or something for the creator if they want to make money.

Glad they've gone back on it, wasn't expecting them to but it's cool that they have.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

A.o.D. posted:

I'm leaving Bethesda out of this because they're not the front man for this debacle, but other than Valve, how many billion+ dollar companies do you know of that would flatly state "We hosed up. We're sorry." without being ordered by a Federal Appellate Judge to do so? Other than their own reputations, no real harm has been done so far, and maybe they'll figure out how to do what they were attempting the right way.

The asoh defense, a shrewd PR move by Doug Lombardi.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Berke Negri posted:

That's the entire fun of modding in the first place, though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Mod drama: :lol:

Skyrim not drama: Is there a companion I can recruit who can sling around awesome magic spells? I want a magician follower, maybe with access to something better than ice spike. Or is there a way I can tweak an NPC and turn one of my million housecarls I don't use into a magician with stats to match?

alternate boring option: a really good archer

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Here's how paid modding should work:
  • Monetary compensation (from the dev/publisher/etc) for selected good mods, amount up in the air. "Hey [author/team of popular mod] you're providing a lot of value to us for free, would you be interested in getting some money from us for that in exchange for your continued support?"
  • Allowing people to sell selected expansion-level content mods as 3rd-party DLC with reasonable profit distribution.
  • Give mods official exposure, donate buttons and all that. (Steam workshop is terrible)
There, everybody's happy, modders maybe make some money from working for the game dev for free.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 28, 2015

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

QuantaStarFire posted:

This was pretty much how I felt too. It'd been a while since I did a playthrough so I was getting ready to fire things up.

Then I deleted it in a huff. :v: Luckily the only mod I had installed was that super-duper texture compilation, and it was still saved in my ModOrganizer folder, so I didn't really lose anything.

Did you download all the textures to make it? I couldn't be bothered and wanted to use the torrent listed in the OP, but that's out of date, so no easy option.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

Skyrim not drama: Is there a companion I can recruit who can sling around awesome magic spells? I want a magician follower, maybe with access to something better than ice spike. Or is there a way I can tweak an NPC and turn one of my million housecarls I don't use into a magician with stats to match?

Wasn't there a dude in Riften you could hire to be a tagalong mage?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Harmburger posted:

Did you download all the textures to make it? I couldn't be bothered and wanted to use the torrent listed in the OP, but that's out of date, so no easy option.

Yeah, pretty much. It's also about a year or so old, but that really shouldn't matter this late in Skyrim's lifespan.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
lol

im still not gonna play skyrim again tho

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

lol

ya, skyrim even with mods is not very good

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dongattack posted:

lol

I think I'm going to :getin:

And by going to I mean I'll install a few, go hog wild and throw a bunch in and go 'ah gently caress' and play something else instead. It's the thought that counts though

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dongattack posted:

lol

I'll probably play Skyrim because it's not like they gain any money from me playing at this point.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Is there an update to the mod profit spreadsheet on google docs?
Can someone link to that? I lost it. :(

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

QuantaStarFire posted:

Wasn't there a dude in Riften you could hire to be a tagalong mage?

Marcurio. He spawns in the Bee and Barb tavern.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Mr E posted:

I'll probably play Skyrim because it's not like they gain any money from me playing at this point.

oh yeah, i meant like its a boring game now after like 1500 hours into it, im not boycotting it like a huge baby

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Marcurio. He spawns in the Bee and Barb tavern.

Perfect. Thanks! I'd totally forgotten this guy existed (probably because I'm never in Riften)

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
someday i'll auctally play skyrim instead of just modding it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GaistHeidegger posted:

So, what happens now with the SkyUI and Midas Magic guys?

They did all that work for nothing!

Take a shot if they refuse to release it for free

Mazzletoff
Dec 17, 2012

wake me up
before you jojo

Psion posted:

Inigo is a fairly generic archer guy. And depending on how lore friendly you desire your game, the sickest wizard this side of Tamriel is, and will always be Wezaleff, who I'm 90% certain uses ripped Dragon's Dogma lines.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Squeegy posted:

They did all that work for nothing!

Take a shot if they refuse to release it for free

ahahhahahaha that is totally going to happen, isn't it

do you think they will call people who has issues with the system PARASITES too

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
At least we got a new version of SkyUI out of it. And that fishing mod is cool enough, I've always wanted something like it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ETPC posted:

that would own

they are the skyrim job creators

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Ha, I feel a little bad about how vitriolic the rhetoric was about this, but that's people I guess. I didn't think it was wrong for modders to want to be able to charge, I just think the implementation, the way sales were being distributed and the overall effect on the community for the end user were going to be bad. I hope that the workshop and the nexus will allow donations at least now. I don't have a lot of disposable cash to float people's way, but that doesn't mean others don't and wouldn't.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ETPC posted:

In the Skyrim community, I once made a paid forest mod. The Parasites claimed that the mod belonged to the community, and demanded that I release it for free. Why? So the rabble could stand slack-jawed under the digital canopy and pretend that it was paradise earned. When Valve moved to end paid modding, I burnt it to the ground. The community did not plant the seeds of this Arcadia; I did.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Noticed something in another thread.

http://www.donotlink.com/ewhu

Arthmoor posted:

Ride out the storm they told us.

Stick with it they told us.

Everything will be fine in a few weeks they told us.

It's just the typical reaction to a change they told us.

What they didn't tell us about was the bus they sent hurtling down the highway that just rolled us: http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218

Way to go. Fracture the community permanently and then piss off the very group of people you're likely to invite back for another attempt. Fat chance. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I am HIGHLY unlikely to accept an invite back under any circumstances unless it's for far more favorable conditions and a written promise not to chicken out over a bunch of trolls on the internet.

:qq:

Arthmoor's signature posted:

RIP United States of America

July 1776 - November 2012.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

QuantaStarFire posted:

In the Skyrim community, I once made a paid forest mod. The Parasites claimed that the mod belonged to the community, and demanded that I release it for free. Why? So the rabble could stand slack-jawed under the digital canopy and pretend that it was paradise earned. When Valve moved to end paid modding, I burnt it to the ground. The community did not plant the seeds of this Arcadia; I did.

:allears:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Psion posted:

Asus varies up the spells. Also the morthal houscarl is already a spellsword.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Midnight Voyager posted:

RIP United States of America

July 1776 - November 2012.

what does this even mean?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also that owns

lmfao

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Eonwe posted:

what does this even mean?

Arthmoor is a noted diehard republican and is extremely right-wing so

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ETPC posted:

Arthmoor is a noted diehard republican and is extremely right-wing so

lol

of loving course

i took some poo poo for making fun of people mad about paid modding happening, so hopefully they'll understand when i now make fun people who are mad about pad modding not happening

because both are equally funny in my book

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Midnight Voyager posted:

Noticed something in another thread.

http://www.donotlink.com/ewhu

:qq:

:swoon:

amazing

edit: i'm still not sure how anyone involved with this didn't see it playing out p much exactly the way it did

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Eonwe posted:

lol

of loving course

i took some poo poo for making fun of people mad about paid modding happening, so hopefully they'll understand when i now make fun people who are mad about pad modding not happening

It just seemed that your shitposting wasn't as entertaining as I usually find it, and that made me sad. Also Obummer destroyed modding, rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eonwe posted:

lol

of loving course

You are a fair and even handed shitposting overlord, Eonwe.

• Locked thread