Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes, though way to miss my point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Hmmm, yes. What you're saying is we shouldn't talk about monetizing mods, or strategy. What we need is a third way; some kind of strong leader to take control of the course of discussion and restore the pdox thread to its rightful glory.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Same.

I really hope HoI4 is solid and fun because MP party shenianigans of WW2 game sounds baller as hell.

Italy has taken over Ireland, oh no.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bozart posted:

Hmmm, yes. What you're saying is we shouldn't talk about monetizing mods, or strategy. What we need is a third way; some kind of strong leader to take control of the course of discussion and restore the pdox thread to its rightful glory.

That is actually the opposite of my point.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Bozart posted:

restore the pdox thread to its rightful glory.

Hey everyone, remember that one guy who drew nations as giant big breasted women? I sure do. I still remember Prussia's ever expanding bust.

VVV Indeed I still laughed my rear end off to it.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 27, 2015

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

e: there are some lines which should not be crossed

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 27, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
H;ey, just a thought, but maybe not talk about stupid bullshit in the thread that's about HoI and Victoria. Thanks and god bless.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Did you put that semicolon in on purpose??? That's really crazy dude

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"I wonder how this new Steam paid mod thing is going to affect Paradox games" isn't a germane discussion to be having now that we have Johan on record as saying

quote:

I personally dont see how paid mods could work for our PDS games that are constantly updated.

Keeping large mods up to date after a major patch is ALOT of work, and if people have paid for them, they have much higher demands.

It would also force us to take modsupport into far bigger account, potentially making worse experiences for the users, as we may be forced to not do what we feel is the best design because it breaks some mod.

I mean, I've met @gigau and @myzael they are great people and their mod is really good. However, I don't even consider the impact for them to update M&T when we change or add features in EU4, because my job is to make the best game possible, not a technology-platform.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

yeah but what if in this scenario Johan is Hitler claiming the sudetenland is the limit of his territorial ambition and we are Chamberlain proclaiming peace for our time?>??

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

It's worth talking about at least a little bit since with Skyrim Valve/Bethesda snuck it up on everyone. Ask any Skyrim player or modder if Steam would ever have a "mod store" on the workshop a day before the announcement and they would have laughed. Everyone involved had a NDA on them until the day of.

All we can do is make our various points and issues known now in advance, since for all we know if Paradox games get the same treatment it'll be sudden and without warning.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BBJoey posted:

yeah but what if in this scenario Johan is Hitler claiming the sudetenland is the limit of his territorial ambition and we are Chamberlain proclaiming peace for our time?>??

What did Chamberlain do on September 2 1939, I ask you

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

It's worth talking about at least a little bit since with Skyrim Valve/Bethesda snuck it up on everyone. Ask any Skyrim player or modder if Steam would ever have a "mod store" on the workshop a day before the announcement and they would have laughed. Everyone involved had a NDA on them until the day of.

All we can do is make our various points and issues known now in advance, since for all we know if Paradox games get the same treatment it'll be sudden and without warning.

Plus its just his personal opinion.

Its perfectly understandable he does this, but it doesn't really mean anything.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's always hilarious reminding people that he was still prime minister into May or June 1940.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's always hilarious reminding people that he was still prime minister into May or June 1940.

Most people don't know that the Munich Agreement wasn't what brought him down, it was the Norway debacle. Not that the pre-war policy of appeasement left him with many fans after Hitler invaded Poland.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

this does not help the czechs who are the modders in this increasingly tortured comparison

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Most people don't know that the Munich Agreement wasn't what brought him down, it was the Norway debacle. Not that the pre-war policy of appeasement left him with many fans after Hitler invaded Poland.

I haven't studied WWII extensively since I was a kid, what was the debacle? That they failed to protect Norway, that they got a bunch of troops trapped there.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Kavak posted:

I haven't studied WWII extensively since I was a kid, what was the debacle? That they failed to protect Norway, that they got a bunch of troops trapped there.

The fact that Germany was able to conduct a seaborne assault under the noses of the home fleet was seen as a major strategic failure on the part of the government.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kavak posted:

Yeah, the debacle was that the Kriegsmarine was able to launch an amphibious invasion at all right across from England. It's a hilarious prospect on its face, except it actually happened.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
That's why Churchill was booted out after the war, he was personally popular, but too closely associated with Chamberlains pre-war Conservative government. Well, that and because Labour was promising to rebuild the cities , expand housing, build the National Health Service and pass badly needed social reforms, while the Conservatives were promising jack poo poo except maybe more war.

Anyway, 300 posts about mods? Seriously? I thought a demo must have come out. :cripes:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ghetto Prince posted:

Labour was promising to rebuild the cities , expand housing, build the National Health Service and pass badly needed social reforms, while the Conservatives were promising jack poo poo except maybe more war.

70 years on and the only thing that's changed is Labour.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The backlash about paid mods was considerable enough for Steam to pull the plug on the thing apparently so i guess we can focus on seeing the rest of the portraits for HoI4!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I wish there was something to say about Victoria. :smith:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can say the truth, that it's an unwieldy badly designed incomprehensible mess. But it will be a cool game if it gets a sequel that cuts the bullshit and makes it possible to figure out, like EU4 does. CK2 used to be good but the current team is determined to ruin it. Let's see how HoI4 goes. I have high hopes because HoI3 and HoI2/DH are pretty boring as actual games, not to mention railroady, but have a lot of potential.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

CK2 used to be good but the current team is determined to ruin it.

When did it stop being good?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Larry Parrish posted:

CK2 used to be good but the current team is determined to ruin it

:crossarms:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Paradox Plaza posts are coming from inside the thread.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kavak posted:

When did it stop being good?

It's still good I guess if you play at the 1066 start. The earlier start dates are insanely bad and unfortunately tribal mechanics and not being able to become feudal as an unreformed pagan pretty much made playing anyone who wasn't already Muslim or Christian a boring, centuries-long grind. Also don't lie to me and say you liked the India expansion. Nobody does.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

How can something that even you admit is optional ruin the game?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Also don't lie to me and say you liked the India expansion. Nobody does.

I did. And I'm not lying.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

It's still good I guess if you play at the 1066 start. The earlier start dates are insanely bad and unfortunately tribal mechanics and not being able to become feudal as an unreformed pagan pretty much made playing anyone who wasn't already Muslim or Christian a boring, centuries-long grind. Also don't lie to me and say you liked the India expansion. Nobody does.

Fortunately as a gay person I am used to being invisible in the gaming community

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Larry Parrish posted:

What? The best start is still Old Gods but Charlemagne is fine and I've never bothered to do something later than 1066.

India is great the only thing I don't like about that expansion is that it made playing in the Levant weird when you can't contact anyone as close as France, North Italy or Germany

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Tribal mechanics blow, 769 is a terrible start date, and Way of Life has some cool bits but broke a ton of events (that still aren't fixed) and actually ends up lowering the variety of events that you'll probably see, since many of the vanilla ones have been placed into objectively terrible focuses. I'm not crazy about India but it's easily modded out. Uhh let's see what else... religious and liberation revolts are still really dumb and way too frequent. I think that's all my bitching.

The game isn't ruined forever or anything but I'm not crazy about the way it's been going.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Mans posted:

The backlash about paid mods was considerable enough for Steam to pull the plug on the thing apparently so i guess we can focus on seeing the rest of the portraits for HoI4!

BBJoey posted:

yeah but what if in this scenario Johan Valve is Hitler claiming the sudetenland is the limit of his territorial ambition and we are Chamberlain proclaiming peace for our time?>??

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

content:

Fuligin posted:

The game isn't ruined forever or anything but I'm not crazy about the way it's been going.

Yeah the CK2 team doesn't really seem to have a long-term plan in mind. Why was India added? Why does the Charlemagne start even exist? Why are tribals such a pain in the rear end to play? They seem to have a lot of ideas but quite a few are implemented half-heartedly and then only tinkered with later on, not addressing the core problems with them. Sword of Islam has been out for years now and decadence still swings on a pendulum between "pointless busywork that serves no purpose" and "impossible to manage ticking time bomb".

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 28, 2015

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sengoku is 75% off on Steam :toot:

edit: also the peak of CK2 was the patch immediately pre-Old Gods, with CK2+

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Jazerus posted:

edit: also the peak of CK2 was the patch immediately pre-Old Gods, with CK2+

Yep

I don't think Rajas adds much to the rest of the game, it just makes the game run slower

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Playing in India is cool and fun especially if you decide to break into the subcontinent from outside. Also doubles as a bunker for when the Mongols come.

The Charlemagne start has Visigoths and Lombards and this makes it the best start.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Tribal mechanics are annoying but I love India and Way of Life. :shrug:

Honestly the worst part of the pre-1066 starts are the loving Karlings.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The main problem I have with tribal mechanics is how assholish it is getting up to par once you make the jump. I actually quite like tribal gavelkind and wish real gavelkind worked more like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Jazerus posted:

Sengoku is 75% off on Steam :toot:

Any decent mods come out to make this like... a full game?

• Locked thread