Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

khy posted:

Also annoying to be stuck at 2 builders because the game won't let me buy more gems with my play credits. I'm assuming that they likely disabled gem purchases because of some bug with the play store or something IDK. I just hope they get it working soon.

Gems are available in my store right now, I spent 4.99 of my google opinion reward bucks on them 2 days ago as well. The only thing showing sold out is Grog and Gold, and that is probably because my storage's are completely full

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Just requested to lljk name silkyp or queyludes

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Did anyone notice there are 2 LLJK guilds showing up in the search?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

m.hache posted:

Did anyone notice there are 2 LLJK guilds showing up in the search?

Yup, one lowercase and one uppercase. When I joined the lowercase had 1 person and the upper had a dozen or so.

Same icon too.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Our LLJK has the red and blue field, about 30 members, and the description says "do you have stairs in your house?"

The other "lljk" has a pink field and a single member, and I assume just a coincidental link to SA.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

quote:

Meta Protip: Be careful how you upgrade troops. This is really terrible game design and I'm almost positive not intended and will be changed at some point, but for now there are some troops you want to skip upgrades on. Mainly the WitchDoctor, but also the Bomber, Heavy Gunner, and Juggernaut.

I've got Bombers now. What should I avoid when upgrading?

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Checking this game out since I'm a little burned out on Star Wars and Clash, any slots free in 2poor?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Triggs posted:

Checking this game out since I'm a little burned out on Star Wars and Clash, any slots free in 2poor?

Same as triggs plus boom beach.

Applied to LLJK as my name.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
What is the general combat strategy. Throw everything in a big pile, pincer from both sides of the base, or trickle things in slowly?

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
What's up with witch doctor's upgrade? He seems really useful at base level for keeping everyone alive until the mortars are down

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

delfin posted:

I've got Bombers now. What should I avoid when upgrading?

Everything Academy 1-5 is fine. The upgrades start to get less good at Academy 6-7, but it's not like witchdoctors used to be pre-patch. I should probably rewrite that section.

overseer07 posted:

What's up with witch doctor's upgrade? He seems really useful at base level for keeping everyone alive until the mortars are down

The first Guardian upgrade makes a huge difference in his shield. Pre that I found him to be more expensive, in grog and time, than he was worth, but if you like him keep using him.

New Leaf posted:

What is the general combat strategy. Throw everything in a big pile, pincer from both sides of the base, or trickle things in slowly?

Generally, I deploy brutes in a line against the side behind the bunkers, and if possible, closest to the mortars. Deploy a line of gunners a bit behind them, drop a few if possible at the bow or stern of their pirate ship, then another line of gunners behind your brutes and other gunners.

Triggs posted:

2poor is packed. LLJK should still have some room though.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

RVT posted:

Our LLJK has the red and blue field, about 30 members, and the description says "do you have stairs in your house?"

The other "lljk" has a pink field and a single member, and I assume just a coincidental link to SA.

Well mine's older. I never saw this thread and just assumed there weren't any other goon guilds.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Ah, well now that you have confirmed your goon guild status I'm sure it will fill up.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Same as triggs plus boom beach.

Applied to LLJK as my name.

Keep getting an error message when I try to request membership in LLJK. :|

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Sent a request join LLJK. Same name as here.

I really like the look of this and the cartoony style they went with.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The art style is the thing that's putting me off actually. Its hard to see whats what, but I suppose i'll get over that in time. I've finally got to upgrading units, so now i have a reason to play more than twice a day too.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

dogstile posted:

The art style is the thing that's putting me off actually. Its hard to see whats what, but I suppose i'll get over that in time. I've finally got to upgrading units, so now i have a reason to play more than twice a day too.

Things get easier to distinguish as they level up I think, it is a little busy. Looks great on a tablet though.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Requested for LLjK as funbox

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
Requested to LLJK as Kreczor

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Applied to LLJK as Finagle!

The game is fun so far, though I'm not sure how long that will last. Hopefully awhile!

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Keep getting an error message when I try to request membership in LLJK. :|

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Strange, I'll be able to access the LLJK account tonight. Unless someone in the guild has a special aversion to you and is denying your app, I don't know what the problem is.

Can you join other guilds?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Applied as Flayer

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

RVT posted:

Strange, I'll be able to access the LLJK account tonight. Unless someone in the guild has a special aversion to you and is denying your app, I don't know what the problem is.

Can you join other guilds?

I'm in. :c00l:

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 29, 2015

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Hitting Pirate Hall 5 tomorrow, which has some nice upgrades with it. The growth curve is settling down now that worthwhile upgrades are taking 12-48 hours to implement, but getting the third Builder with quest gems helps a little.

The nice thing about pounding on Gold/Grog Storage upgrades is that it makes training at the Academy much easier. Buy an expensive skill upgrade, pound on idiots to gather up six figures of grog per attempt, buy a different troop's skill upgrade, repeat until everybody's got one in progress. My Bombers are much more fun now that they aren't total tissue paper.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Everyone that posted in the thread is now in LLJK. If you're applying to LLJK please continue to post in the thread.

Two spots have opened up in 2poor. We'll transfer people over in the order they posted in the thread. So,

Rootballa
ArteaSA

if you want to transfer over to 2poor, please do so at your earliest convenience. If not, post and we'll let someone else have your spot.

Anyone kicked is free to reapply to LLJK if they pick up the game again.

RVT fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 29, 2015

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I'm curious what everyone biggest haul was.

Mine was 374k gold and 346k grog on a guy named !Dddd92!.

I keep seeing a guy with 1m+ of each resources, but it's super heavily defended.

-edit- Just got a new highest with 482k gold and 299k grog

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 29, 2015

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Apogee15 posted:

I'm curious what everyone biggest haul was.

Mine was 374k gold and 346k grog on a guy named !Dddd92!.

I keep seeing a guy with 1m+ of each resources, but it's super heavily defended.

-edit- Just got a new highest with 482k gold and 299k grog

I've done better, but this was the best screen shot I could find. This was on my buildup to starting PH8 I think. I'm sure someone can beat this.

Then I slammed a couple of the higher loot NPC bases to get the final 4 mil to kick it off.

You might notice I spent about 200 gems to chain build armies in the build up for the 7mil for PH8. This is the only other good use of gems I've found after you've bought your 4 builders. Keeps you from getting jacked while you're holding a sweet megaton of loot to kick off the really big upgrades. Speeding up build times, and buying resources with gems really isn't worth it.

RVT fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 29, 2015

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

RVT posted:

I've done better, but this was the best screen shot I could find. This was on my buildup to starting PH8 I think.

Then I slammed a couple of the higher loot NPC bases to get the final 4 mil to kick it off.

You might notice I spent about 200 gems to chain build armies in the build up for the 7mil for PH8. This is the only other good use of gems I've found after you've bought your 4 builders. Keeps you from getting jacked while you're holding a sweet megaton of loot to kick off the really big upgrades. Speeding up build times, and buying resources with gems really isn't worth it.

So does stealing resources kind of peter out as you get higher and higher rank? I'd imagine that the more resources a player has the more likely it is to be heavily guarded, whereas my large hauls are basically from people who have under-leveled(or misplaced) defenses. Seems like those would get more rare.

I never imagined AI bases would give so many resources. I beat the first base and then 2/4 attacks of the 2nd, otherwise i've only been stealing. I kinda figured I'd just play through a bunch of AI bases all at once when my stuff is higher level.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
That's the best thing about this game, the loot is high in the beginning, and doesn't actually get that much worse when you get up towards max PH. You can steal whatever, I guess 400-400? early on as you've posted, but at PH8 I can still find bases that I can wipe out with 300-300 up to probably 500-500 or better with more nexting.

Meph and Ralz have been especially good about finding really huge scores, they could probably tell you more, I don't love nexting, so when I see a 300-300ish that I think I can wipe out, I usually just attack.

The costs to upgrade buildings don't ramp as brutally as they do in Clash, so while things slow down a little, they don't slow to a crawl.

Remember Pirate Rank and Pirate Hall level are two totally separate things. As a PH7 and PH8, I've always farmed resources in the PR 150-300 range. This range seems to have good loot, and easy enough bases. With well upgraded Grute you can farm up to 400 without too much trouble, but above 400 the base difficult rapidly ramps up and the loot stays the same or gets worse.

About NPC bases, I'd leave a low PR early one alone, to just use to drop Pirate Rank. I'd save the last levels of the NPC bases you do attack, with the really big payouts, for when you're saving for a really big upgrade. You can only do each level of an NPC base once.

RVT fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 29, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I finally got brutes but I still can't even take down bases with 3 cannonballs and a gun tower. I'm only going for islands with 20k resources to loot but even those I only get 30% destruction.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

I finally got brutes but I still can't even take down bases with 3 cannonballs and a gun tower. I'm only going for islands with 20k resources to loot but even those I only get 30% destruction.

Keep upgrading your troops and your tavern space. Early on buccs/gunners are probably best, but once you get more tavern space you can move into Brutes and Gunners. If you can only fit 1-2 Brutes they might not be worth it.

From playing my new account, it can be a choice between wiping out a base, and getting a big score. Pirate Rank doesn't matter now, or really ever except as I've said above, so look for bases with big loot totals and exposed storages and collectors and go in and take as much loot as you can, even if you get a "defeat".

I'm on the LLJK account right now, so if you want to post a replay I can take a look.

RVT fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 29, 2015

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I'm curious about how many resources you can take from someone now...

I had about 500k gold and 300k grog saved up, and I got attacked. They killed 100% of my base, but only took 70k of each resource. Is only a portion of your resources available to be stolen?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Apogee15 posted:

I'm curious about how many resources you can take from someone now...

I had about 500k gold and 300k grog saved up, and I got attacked. They killed 100% of my base, but only took 70k of each resource. Is only a portion of your resources available to be stolen?

It's apparently based on your PH level against theirs. You can steal more % from people with a PH above yours and it increases as the difference increases. It works the opposite way in reverse. It works the same way in Clash, but the percentage is a lot more brutal. This is why rushing PH (TH) in Clash is so bad, and why loot stays good and rushing PH isn't all that bad in PP.

PP adjusted this in a patch about a month ago to make the percentage less advantageous to the higher PHs attacking down, but it wasn't a huge nerf.

So the most loot available would be a PH1 against a PH8 that was stuffed with loot that left all his collectors and storages undefended. No idea what the cap is, but it's north of 1 mil of each, probably a lot more.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

RVT posted:

It's apparently based on your PH level against theirs. You can steal more % from people with a PH above yours and it increases as the difference increases. It works the opposite way in reverse. It works the same way in Clash, but the percentage is a lot more brutal. This is why rushing PH (TH) in Clash is so bad, and why loot stays good and rushing PH isn't all that bad in PP.

PP adjusted this in a patch about a month ago to make the percentage less advantageous to the higher PHs attacking down, but it wasn't a huge nerf.

So the most loot available would be a PH1 against a PH8 that was stuffed with loot that left all his collectors and storages undefended. No idea what the cap is, but it's north of 1 mil of each, probably a lot more.

I just took out a guy with PH8 I have PH5, rolled him for over 1.1 million gold, 840k grog (of course I was already full of gold, but the grog filled me up, so that was nice.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
I'm still PH3 with 25 pirate capacity and fully upgraded level 1 pirates. Is general consensus that it's better to wait till later to really use brutes often? I'm finding really dubious results with them, but I might be trying to be too clever.

They seemed to work tolerably on the last attack, I sent 2 brutes in first then waited for everything to be shooting them them deployed 17 gunners who went in after, but who went down soon after the brutes died. Would something like all out 6 brutes be viable?

I think my biggest problem is overthinking it and trying to head straight at the mortar to take it out ASAP, which can backfire if the AI prioritises a different building than you expected. Better results seem to come when I just focus on the storage and spam everything right next to it.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Brutes benefit greatly from their first few Academy upgrades -- they boost Brute toughness significantly, which is what you need them for. By Academy Lvl 3 you can take Brutes from 350 to 1200, which makes them considerably more useful even without their Taunt skill.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

trashcangammy posted:

I'm still PH3 with 25 pirate capacity and fully upgraded level 1 pirates. Is general consensus that it's better to wait till later to really use brutes often? I'm finding really dubious results with them, but I might be trying to be too clever.

They seemed to work tolerably on the last attack, I sent 2 brutes in first then waited for everything to be shooting them them deployed 17 gunners who went in after, but who went down soon after the brutes died. Would something like all out 6 brutes be viable?

6 brutes would not do enough damage. You need some DPS troops behind them. Keep upgrading them in the academy.

delfin posted:

Brutes benefit greatly from their first few Academy upgrades -- they boost Brute toughness significantly, which is what you need them for. By Academy Lvl 3 you can take Brutes from 350 to 1200, which makes them considerably more useful even without their Taunt skill.

Plus their taunt skill is really bad.

RVT fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 29, 2015

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
This is my favorite honeypot layout of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

delfin posted:

This is my favorite honeypot layout of the week.

I really feel like I don't understand the best way to layout/defend my base. Is something like this a good idea? If this doesn't work until late in the game (due to upgrades, whatever) then what should I be doing to start out?

I'm definitely enjoying the game more than Clash so far, but I'm still feeling super lost!

• Locked thread