Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

TheMcD posted:

Oh, the lovely English that I so loved from our dear WESP shows up here too? Oh man, this is going to be great.

Did you read Gimble's computer? I tried screenshotting that but couldn't get Steam to cooperate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

MartianAgitator posted:

Did you read Gimble's computer? I tried screenshotting that but couldn't get Steam to cooperate.

I did, though I only skimmed it, and I have a way of overlooking bad English if I'm just skimming - comes from spending years helping fellow students with their terrible English and having to reason out just what the gently caress they've written. I'm sure I'll be in for a treat when I go check a second time.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
I played a Setite. You can turn into a snake with Serpentis, which is alright. You spit poison for some pretty good damage. And you can vomit up a snake to charge enemies, which was awesome the one time it worked when I got jumped at the diner.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, the Antitribu Mod LP is underway - here's a link to the OP. No updates yet, I'll be going to work on that ASAP, meaning right after this post.

EDIT: First update is done, we're officially on this one-way trip to hell!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 3, 2015

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Quick question about installing CQM. I initially installed to my root Bloodlines directory, where the .exe is located. It seemed to work; I saw the clan icons at the menu screen and could pick histories, etc. But I ran into a problem where, during the tutorial where you learn to feed, my blood pool was already full. Casting disciplines didn't affect it(though some, like blood buff, said i didn't have enough). I'm thinking it has something to do with me picking the lower generation history, affecting the size of my blood pool.

So, figuring I just messed something up at install, I re-installed, this time to the /vampire sub-directory like the OP and install instructions that came with the mod suggested. However, now there's no trace of the mod when I boot the game. So, what should I do? Re-install to the root or the /vampire folder? And are histories bugged to where I should leave them alone if they're going to break my blood pool?

chubican
May 3, 2009
http://store.steampowered.com/app/280600 So I was browsing steam, and came across THIS. It appears to be essentially everything you could want out of a vampire game, though the Early Access Stamp has me worried. Would anyone know anything about it?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

chubican posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/280600 So I was browsing steam, and came across THIS. It appears to be essentially everything you could want out of a vampire game, though the Early Access Stamp has me worried. Would anyone know anything about it?

I haven't heard of it, and it seems to be very early in development, so you always run that risk you have with Early Access, but honestly, I've paid more money on stupider things. If I wasn't currently locked up with other games I want to beat, I'd give it a shot.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I bought it since I'm a retard.

Only played like 20mins but it's very rough visually, not enough to bug me but eh. I chose a Witch as my starting class since I like persuasian based characters and the combat is better than Bloodlines but not by a huge amount, I've just been mashing 2 to throw a fireball while enemies shuffle towards me. This might change.

Every human you feed on also becomes part of your bloodline which is cool I guess, there's even a big family tree menu and you can give assignments to your vampire underlings. Overall it's not great and it either will get better or worse as you go through the game but if 13 dollars isn't too much for you it's worth a shot.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Only played like 20mins but it's very rough visually, not enough to bug me but eh. I chose a Witch as my starting class since I like persuasian based characters and the combat is better than Bloodlines but not by a huge amount, I've just been mashing 2 to throw a fireball while enemies shuffle towards me. This might change.

Every human you feed on also becomes part of your bloodline which is cool I guess, there's even a big family tree menu and you can give assignments to your vampire underlings. Overall it's not great and it either will get better or worse as you go through the game but if 13 dollars isn't too much for you it's worth a shot.

I'll give it a shot I guess, and get back to y'all on if it was worth it or not.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Disciplines, clans, sire? Not terribly subtle.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

chubican posted:

This has been in development for quite a long time, at least since 2011.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

A pro tip for people getting it. Disarm trap and lockpicking seem pretty much required. Every goddamn chest I've ran into has been trapped and you use up lockpicks you fail with so rip.

This guy is cool and my new friend.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

A pro tip for people getting it. Disarm trap and lockpicking seem pretty much required. Every goddamn chest I've ran into has been trapped and you use up lockpicks you fail with so rip.

This guy is cool and my new friend.

Does he have vampire mumps or something? drat.

Looks interesting...I'll have to follow this as it develops. There's almost nothing good associated with the initials "EA" though, so I'm going to wait for a few more trip reports before jumping in on this.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's also DONTNOD's vampire RPG, Vampyr, that's going to take place during the Spanish Flu pandemic that's worth keeping any eye on.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
So I grabbed Antitribu on a mi of whim and curiosity, and I've been somewhat let down. It's not nearly as funny and goofy as I thought. It doesn't have nearly that many changes, in fact.

For the most part, pre-existing fights have become significantly harder, and a ton of new bullshit fights have been added in, at times with absolutely nothing connecting to them, at least as far as I can tell. At the Hollywood Cemetery some random-rear end guy just portalled in, summoned a grip of skeletons with one of them as a boss, and then vanished. The skeletons themselves were a painfully annoying fight (once the boss almost dies it turns invincible with a timer, super cool!), and after they were dead...the dude just shows up on the roof of the mausoleum, my character goes "OH NO AN ANCIENT," and then they just vanish and loving that's that! At the Lucky Star I picked a door lock, read a computer that said "meet me at the art gallery," and then a helicopter full of hunters attacked me...and then I went to the art gallery and there was nothing there! And you know what Grout's mansion needed? Really bad platforming.

As far as new powers go, I'm playing a Snakeguy, and it's not doing all that much for me. The level 1 power is good for taking an enemy out of a fight, the level 2 power doesn't seem to work half the time, the level 3 BE A SNAKE power simply ends up doing less damage then my absurdly powerful machine guns, and I've yet to really play with 4 or 5.

The weapons and items are strange. By Hollywood, guns have become horrific death machines against anything, and melee seems a bit of a joke in comparison. Unfortunately this also means enemies with guns will tear you apart. So much for Jack's note on not worrying about them!

The new models are...inconsistent. And quite a few are just grabbed from other games, which has me wondering if the inconsistency is due to them being just snapped up from other places. I saw Literally Jack From Mass Effect 2 walking around here and there as one of the new passerby models. There ARE a few of new gangbanger models, which is good (since there was literally only one in the game originally), with vague and decent amount of work done...but then you get new Hunter models that just look terrible with low poly masks and ridiculous capes that physics the gently caress out and start flapping around. Then there's the weird skeletons that I swear I've seen somewhere else. The aforementioned topless hooker model is hilariously poorly done enough that I wouldn't be surprised if it was some sad sack's NUDE BLOODLINES MODELS thing taken and just pasted in. Someone tell Tesmage that someone else is stealing their schtick.

There are bugs. Boy howdy are there! One of the issues - I think - is that this game was in development for so long that the actual initial patch it built off of is really obsolete. It looks like it's built on top of the old Companion Mod, except that uses a real old version of Wesp's Patch and stopped being developed like two years ago. On top of that, the engine has never really been all that stable, and simply isn't built to handle all the new poo poo. Literally - the engine isn't built to handle as many models and meshes and such that the mod tries to pour into it. Sometimes the game will just go "gently caress IT" and choose a random object and just turn everything into that object. Have fun walking into your haven and just seeing bar stools replacing everything else! The new powers have animations to go with it, but those animations were given priority over everything else - including death. Which means if you kill a baddie when it's in mid-animation, it ragdolls, but the scripting assumes it's still alive. People mentioned fighting Brother Canker in the sewers for the Plaguebearer quest - this is probably what happened to you. You killed the nossie mid-WOLF HOWL animation (or mid-obfuscate animation, which is weird because that's NOT a new animation) and the animation overrode the "IS DEAD" part, so it just assumed he was still alive and throwing wolves at you while not spawning the paper you need to grab from him. All the relics and charms and poo poo that would give you a bonus just for being in your inventory have also gained a downside...but not all actually work. One talked up reducing Humanity by 3 and raising Research by 3, and when I equipped it, it...improved my Snakeguy powers, and removed Presence? But also raised Research and lowered Humanity? Whenever you break Masquerade, the game spawns a bunch of hunters in the main map who will attack you. Fight them back and the police are called. Use your powers and you break Masquerade and more hunters are spawned. See the issue?

Lastly, it's unfinished. I don't mean that in a scripting is broken or something way, I mean literally they haven't finished yet. This is more an early beta then anything; they haven't gotten around to adding or changing any dialogue, so most of the game outside of the weird fights WILL be the same.

All in all, a lot of trouble...for a depressing lack of new and potentially hilarious content. I'm going to keep playing to the end i hopes of seeing other new funny stuff (or at least to see if all this new poo poo is going somewhere), but I'm not holding my breath. Again, this is more an early beta then anything from the looks of it, but it probably should've been labelled as such.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 6, 2015

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
So I haven't played this in a while and I read the OP but I was wondering if there is an "optimal installation suggestion" for the game at this moment (I play Tremere if that helps)?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is it like Bloodlines but combat only? The best part about Bloodlines was not always feeling you needed to fight. The choice of fighting, negotiating/intimidating, doing something morally questionable or sneaking around was the best part.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

CatchrNdRy posted:

Is it like Bloodlines but combat only? The best part about Bloodlines was not always feeling you needed to fight. The choice of fighting, negotiating/intimidating, doing something morally questionable or sneaking around was the best part.

It's like Bloodlines remade into a dungeon-crawler, at least the bit of it I've played is.

It's kinda janky right now due to being early-ish development.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
From what I hear the cool thing is you can sire people and make your own small army of vampire minions. Everything else looks really jank though.

I'm still holding out for Vampyr to be Bloodlines' spiritual successor.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Accordion Man posted:

From what I hear the cool thing is you can sire people and make your own small army of vampire minions. Everything else looks really jank though.

I'm still holding out for Vampyr to be Bloodlines' spiritual successor.

Vampyr? I don't think I've heard of that one before.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

YellerBill posted:

Vampyr? I don't think I've heard of that one before.

It's a new vampire RPG being made by the devs behind Remember Me and Life Is Strange. Nothing much else known about it beyond a vague bit of story.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-20-remember-me-dev-also-making-vampyr-role-playing-game

I'm feeling pretty wary about this one. Remember Me and Life Is Strange aren't exactly the impressive titles I want to hear when talking about the developer of what could be the spiritual successor to a cult classic like Bloodlines.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

TheMcD posted:

It's a new vampire RPG being made by the devs behind Remember Me and Life Is Strange. Nothing much else known about it beyond a vague bit of story.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-20-remember-me-dev-also-making-vampyr-role-playing-game

I'm feeling pretty wary about this one. Remember Me and Life Is Strange aren't exactly the impressive titles I want to hear when talking about the developer of what could be the spiritual successor to a cult classic like Bloodlines.

Both of those games have unique and creative gimmicks. This is the first I've heard about Vampyre, but I'm sure it will be memorable even if it is technically a bad game. Kind of like Bloodlines, in a way.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Is there a way to deal with the warehouse at the end of act 1 differently? I saw a mod of a guy shooting it with a rocket launcher from across the trains, causing the entire thing to explode. I kinda hate this warehouse, and am wondering if this is an actual thing you can do in the game.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
This game is 5 dolla on steam guys. Now is the time to recruit all your friends who are on the fence. Now they have no excuse.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doctor Borris posted:

Is there a way to deal with the warehouse at the end of act 1 differently? I saw a mod of a guy shooting it with a rocket launcher from across the trains, causing the entire thing to explode. I kinda hate this warehouse, and am wondering if this is an actual thing you can do in the game.

I don't think so, sorry.

Speaking of which though, apart from the sub-mods included in the CQM mod, are there any other mods I should look out for?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Is there a version of the WESP patch that won't take 5 hours to download?

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Is the Last Nights mod any good? I'm considering using it for my latest run.

Edit: Pardon me, The Final Nights.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Erwin the German posted:

Is the Last Nights mod any good? I'm considering using it for my latest run.

Edit: Pardon me, The Final Nights.

Jankity, but something different if you're really starved for something new in VtMB.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
So no crippling bugs or stupid poo poo?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Erwin the German posted:

So no crippling bugs or stupid poo poo?

I was able to play through it without any crippling bugs.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
What happened to the histories for clans? I don't see them in the character creation screen anymore.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Katreus posted:

What happened to the histories for clans? I don't see them in the character creation screen anymore.

Did you recently reinstall? This happens if you don't have the patch.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Pope Guilty posted:

Did you recently reinstall? This happens if you don't have the patch.

Yes! But I dled Wesp's unofficial patch. Do I need to install the "plus" version to get histories?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Clan histories are only in the Plus version of the patch, since Wesp considers them restorations rather than bug fixes. Though apparently there's a way to enable them in the basic version as well. Go to the user.cfg and change "vchar_edit_histories" from 0 to 1.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Clan histories are only in the Plus version of the patch, since Wesp considers them restorations rather than bug fixes. Though apparently there's a way to enable them in the basic version as well. Go to the user.cfg and change "vchar_edit_histories" from 0 to 1.

Thanks! I was wondering what I was doing wrong.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Katreus posted:

Thanks! I was wondering what I was doing wrong.

Ducks are anethema.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Keep in mind the background code is a bit janky and can crash your game during chargen when you select one.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Did Antitribu just use to a combat rebalance mod that has since ballooned out of control? I feel I remember playing it when all it did was rebalance combat so it was harder.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I'm playing this for the 2.5th time and have some thoughts and also some questions for people who know the lore (I know nothing about the background except from my frequent trips to the wiki while playing the game). I also have no idea how these old/new WoD settings work so if anything I ask sounds retarded, that's why (it's also because I am retarded)

1. Grout seems really interesting and I wish we'd had the chance to actually converse with him instead of just hearing his recordings; I like the idea of a Malkavian who apparently started off as a pre-psychoanalysis psychologist and then was bitten by someone who made him incurably insane

2. The Salubri seem awesome, do they have any future in whatever the new setting is, or do they kinda die out, as the Final Nights wiki entry seems to suggest they will?

3. Wikipedia Link Syndrome led me from article to article until I wound up reading the plot of Gehenna: The Final Night. Spoilers I guess if anyone gives a poo poo Smiling Jack gets killed by some random Beckett follower who used to be a decent guy and then went insane at some point? As do many other prominent characters? I'll grant I don't know anything about this setting but that seems kinda drastic

4. I'm going to do one last playthrough of this as a Malkavian (I started one once but didn't love the weirdo dialogue as much as I thought I would). How can I make it as different from my vanilla/WESP playthroughs as possible without introducing really lovely fan voice acting or whatever? Does the CQM include a lot of that, or is it mostly okay? (I understand they got the LaCroix guy back for it.) I'm okay with changing the game pretty dramatically for a final playthrough of it, I just don't want a ton of self-insert fan poo poo or any of what Antitribu appears to be full of.

Thanks dudes

edit: I want an option to tell Grünfeld Bach "I agree with you, let's kill all these god drat nerds," a la siding with Elijah in New Vegas/Dead Money

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Bloodlines falls into the first rendition of Vampire which was a part of (and I think the first of) White Wolf's initial series of vauge supernatural shenanigans in the modern era. Most of these games are referred to with an o in front of their name for "old," so "oVampire" in this case. For reasons (such as FUCKIN' NONE OF THE MECHANICS WORKING AT ALL, or everything becoming horrible and bloated and filled with the dumbest poo poo) this eventually collapsed in on itself and White Wolf started a new gameline that was mostly new takes on the previous game serieses; Vampire the Masquerade (oVamp) became Vampire the Requiem (nVamp). This was an upgrade for some, a downgrade for others, and what you saw as good or bad really just came down to taste. Whether you loved or hated them, these new game lines were typically radically different from the predecessors, which in this case meant no Salubri (as nVamp was trying to not have thirty thousand bloodlines like oVamp ended up having).

As for NPCs being killed off, the basic gist of oVamp was that you were in the Final Nights, with Gehenna just around the corner any day now. To "celebrate" the end of oWhite Wolf they released a series of books for each of their game licenses in which the world ends and everyone dies. Fun stuff! The Vampire book was called Gehenna and was filled with multiple potential EVERYONE loving DIES situations; I forget if any of them even bothered to give situation where the PCs could fight against it or, well, do anything other then die miserably. Gehenna: the Final Night was part of a trilogy that hit the three most popular oWhite Wolf licenses (Vampire, Mage, and Werewolf) and gave an in-setting viewpoint to everyone loving dying.

• Locked thread