Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

My Imaginary GF posted:

Otoh, Hillary had enough hubris to run a private server out of her house, in violation with records requirements.

I've been wondering, do you have some source of information other than that extremely poorly written* AP article that confused domain registration with physical location?

* It was pretty obviously written by a political reporter all by them self with no help from anyone technical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My Imaginary GF posted:

And yes, I don't think Hillary would be trustworthy enough to win the D primary. Far better for her campaign to implode from a well-heeled Illinois grassroots campaign.

After the primary, yeah, vote whoever the D nominee is. During the primary fight? Rahm's the man we need as President, even if he ain't the man this thread likes.

You think Rahm is more trustworthy than Hillary? The average American doesn't know who Rahm is, and he's not capable of making a positive first impression.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Can anyone link me to evidence that "records requirements" (I'm guessing this isn't "records laws" for a very specific reason) were violated re: emailgate?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Chamale posted:

You think Rahm is more trustworthy than Hillary? The average American doesn't know who Rahm is, and he's not capable of making a positive first impression.
Not to mention that Hillary would easily out-fundraise Rahm. Better Wall Street connections and even she is to the left of him on more or less every issue.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rahm should run just to distract all the conservative oppo researchers. They'll be too much dirt to dig through and they won't get to anyone else.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i kind of hope rahm will mount a doomed run just to demonstrate to MIGF how chicago is not, in fact, the axis upon which the entire democratic party turns

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

JT Jag posted:

He's still not wrong.

See Meg From Family Guy? Even when JT Jag does the same thing it works better than when you do it.

So this post isn't totally worthless: the chief of police in that one hellhole where the 73 year old reserve guy mistook his gun for a tazer and murdered someone is resigning.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

JT Jag posted:

Not to mention that Hillary would easily out-fundraise Rahm. Better Wall Street connections and even she is to the left of him on more or less every issue.
Incidentally this post applies even better to Cuomo, who has kinda framed himself as the common-sense moderate the Democratic establishment can turn to if Hillary decided not to run. He's totally SOL now, doesn't even have a shot at veep considering he's from the same state.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Trabisnikof posted:

But she deleted some emails, that makes her just as bad as cops that kill minorities because I hate her!

She deleted them to save the people sending in the 'Hello, I am Hassim Bin Terrorist, A Prince of Al Qaida. I am contacting you to get latest inteligence about US men in Benghazi. You are still going to hold troops and moneys back, yes?' emails from embarassment.

Seriously though, I wonder just how many of her emails were hatemails.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Incidentally this post applies even better to Cuomo, who has kinda framed himself as the common-sense moderate the Democratic establishment can turn to if Hillary decided not to run. He's totally SOL now, doesn't even have a shot at veep considering he's from the same state.

Didn't stop Cheney. He just had to move real quick.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Radbot posted:

Yes I too believe that if Hussein was still in power we'd have ISIS crawling around the place and daily carbombings of hundreds of people.

They're tireless fighting for the overthrow of hussein.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Radbot posted:

Yes I too believe that if Hussein was still in power we'd have ISIS crawling around the place and daily carbombings of hundreds of people.

Would he have stopped the civil war in Syria?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

That's a local channel? I mean nice to not totally break whatever programming they had on

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Apparently it's gotten pretty bad. Vice keeps popping updates on my screen and the Gov has declared a state of emergency. Supposedly a bunch of gangs have "banded together" to hunt down cops. Can't say I blame them for their sentiment, though it's going to suck if cops start getting shot.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Is that Dancing with the Stars? I remember something having to do with the Mike Brown case cancelling it and lots of (white) people being real mad.

vv Are there any sources that aren't the police? vv

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 28, 2015

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Boon posted:

Apparently it's gotten pretty bad. Vice keeps popping updates on my screen and the Gov has declared a state of emergency. Supposedly a bunch of gangs have "banded together" to hunt down cops. Can't say I blame them for their sentiment, though it's going to suck if cops start getting shot.

The Nation of Islam brokered a temporary peace deal between the Bloods and Crips, similar to what happened in Los Angeles during the Rodney King riots. The mayor applauded them for it.

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/04/baltimore-bloods-and-crips-call-truce/

The police reported it as a gang plot to team up and murder everyone.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What's this about the government having a plan in the event of martial law that involves putting all the black people in the country in internment camps?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Luigi Thirty posted:

What's this about the government having a plan in the event of martial law that involves putting all the black people in the country in internment camps?

The united states penal system since forever?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Boon posted:

Their statement keeps changing from "A couple of juvenile agitators" to "URBAN FERAL GANG BEASTS" and then just weird hateful speech about horrible monsters roaming the streets raping and pillaging.

Never loving trust a cop

e: Note that they only got worried when the riots got too close to Johns Hopkins.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Boon posted:

I haven't heard any "We're gonna hunt down whitey cops" from anyone except the police tearfully crying about how that's what will happen. I think gangs even stayed peaceful in Ferguson as a way to unite against a common enemy, but they weren't hunting anyone or sniping the St. Louis PD lines. There were even gang members protecting stores.

When you get Bloods, Crips, and the Nation of Islam to all give up their rivalries to band against you....you done hosed up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FAUXTON posted:

The united states penal system since forever?

No, I guess a document got leaked a few years ago that talked about how the Reagan-era plan for martial law included literally putting 21 million black people in camps, based on an earlier plan from the 1960s.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Jagchosis posted:

See Meg From Family Guy? Even when JT Jag does the same thing it works better than when you do it.

So this post isn't totally worthless: the chief of police in that one hellhole where the 73 year old reserve guy mistook his gun for a tazer and murdered someone is resigning.

Hey, ok, we may be pretty bad and that story certainly doesn't help the image but I think Tulsa rises at least slightly above the level of "that one hellhole"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

stinkles1112 posted:

Hey, ok, we may be pretty bad and that story certainly doesn't help the image but I think Tulsa rises at least slightly above the level of "that one hellhole"

That hellhole has a name to differentiate it from the other hellholes collectively known as Oklahoma.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
First official statement by Attorney General Loretta Lynch.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Christ, Baltimore sucks. We cant even do justified-yet-slandered-as-riot protests right.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Burning cars and looting stores is bad, but the reactions on Baltimore social media are crazy.

I've read some people calling rioters not human, others are wishing for National Guard kill-on-sight orders. These situations really bring out the worst in everyone.

Which of the DOJ actions above are most likely to do any good?

William Bear fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 28, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

William Bear posted:

Burning cars and looting stores is bad, but the reactions on Baltimore social media are crazy.

I've read some people calling rioters not human, others are wishing for National Guard kill-on-sight orders. These situations really bring out the worst in everyone.

Baltimore and St. Louis have a lot of similarities. I wonder what Baltimore's race story is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The funny (sad) thing is the use of MLK to talk about "peaceful" protests. Two things: blocking roads is nonviolent but by modern cops not considered peaceful. And while MLK was sitting around with a sign there were tons of other people doing stuff like firebombing police cars and guess who got the blame.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think QV and I are on the same page when I say that the protestors, at this point, might as well cause enough damage to justify the pearl clutching.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stultus Maximus posted:

Baltimore and St. Louis have a lot of similarities. I wonder what Baltimore's race story is.

A very long history of police brutality, almost entirely directed against blacks.

quote:

The funny (sad) thing is the use of MLK to talk about "peaceful" protests. Two things: blocking roads is nonviolent but by modern cops not considered peaceful. And while MLK was sitting around with a sign there were tons of other people doing stuff like firebombing police cars and guess who got the blame.

Peaceful protests haven't tended to get much better results than violent ones. Peaceful chanting and sign waving tends to get ignored.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

I think QV and I are on the same page

i'm not racist, but

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hobbesmaster posted:

A third thing: Those people tut-tutting about MLK and peaceful protests don't care in the least when completely peaceful protesters get their skulls cracked.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Normally when there are protests between two opposing sides that are both extremely emotional the police erect a barricade of some sort between the parties to prevent conflict.

That becomes difficult when one of the sides is the police, it isn't surprising at all that people are violently clashing with them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I was thinking more of the historic background. Like how the legal prohibition on St. Louis's annexing any parts of the county made it easy for anyone to take two steps outside the city limits and declare themselves a "whites only" incorporated municipality, which led to the fragmentation and racial divisions at the heart of recent events.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

hobbesmaster posted:

I was just posting about this in the email forwards thread, but there's also the quote from MLK about how white people tut-tutting about peaceful protests were probably a bigger obstacle to civil rights than the damned Klan.

quote:

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Stultus Maximus posted:

I was thinking more of the historic background. Like how the legal prohibition on St. Louis's annexing any parts of the county made it easy for anyone to take two steps outside the city limits and declare themselves a "whites only" incorporated municipality, which led to the fragmentation and racial divisions at the heart of recent events.

Basically the same thing.

quote:

A constitutional amendment, (little noticed and causing not much controversy or realization of future impact at the time, unfortunately even by the city) approved by referendum by state voters to the 1867 Maryland Constitution in 1948, prohibiting any future annexations without approval from residents in affected territories. Proposed after World War II and increasing suburbanization and possible racial residential motives not so prominent in earlier decades. As population ever since reached a maximum of 959,000 in 1950, then every decade since has dropped in the City and growth expanded to a greater metropolitan area, now involving five surrounding counties in the half-century since. Although causing extensive city-county hostilities during the time of the 1950's, 60's, and 70's Civil Rights movement, with later increasing urban social ills faced by the County's older "inner suburbs" by the 1980's, an atmosphere of metro cooperation has emerged with the drawing of cross-border state assembly districts, and organization of regional government agencies and increasing state assumption of powers.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

From twitter:
"25 years later and people are still asking why Mookie threw the trashcan instead of asking why the police killed Radio Raheem."

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Stultus Maximus posted:

A third thing: Those people tut-tutting about MLK and peaceful protests don't care in the least when completely peaceful protesters get their skulls cracked.

Reminder that this poo poo happened even to white people all across the country during the Occupy movement, and nobody seemed to give a poo poo then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Evil_Greven posted:

Reminder that this poo poo happened even to white people all across the country during the Occupy movement, and nobody seemed to give a poo poo then.

The pepper spray incident was all over my feed, but that was because I have dozens of acquaintances at Davis. Aside from them, it was some "GET A JOB YOU HIPPIES" bullcrap.

• Locked thread