Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The best part was that we used Microsoft Dynamics to do ticket tracking. The site was super slow, and it was never really setup well, so the ticket form had around 100 fields, and they were all completely baffling. They also didn't have a place to bill how long you took on the ticket, and the company only measured you by ticket numbers, no actually billed time or anything.
This is reason enough to leave, IMO. There are plenty of companies that don't track ticket activity for seniors, because they know that mentoring and project work and more complex tickets means that it's totally useless, and that entering how long you spent/billed is not a substitute for having an engineering manager who actually knows what's going on and what you do.

If your company is tracking metrics like this (or some other "I have no idea what my employees do and how to measure their actual performance" thing) and your manager is riding you instead of pushing back on corporate, it's time for greener pastures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So for people who have :yotj: recently, what resources did you use to find new jobs?

I reached out to a recruiter who took my resume but mentioned the market was pretty dry right now. I'm also applying daily to job listings on indeed.

I've been at it for the better half of a month and haven't even gotten a single call. I had my resume done over by someone in SA mart (The goon who worked at google. Probably not the best option but the resume seems very professional).

I've considered reaching out to people directly via linked in but unless I shell out cash for their premium service I cannot inmessage someone unless I already have them in my network.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

m.hache posted:

So for people who have :yotj: recently, what resources did you use to find new jobs?

I reached out to a recruiter who took my resume but mentioned the market was pretty dry right now. I'm also applying daily to job listings on indeed.

I've been at it for the better half of a month and haven't even gotten a single call. I had my resume done over by someone in SA mart (The goon who worked at google. Probably not the best option but the resume seems very professional).

I've considered reaching out to people directly via linked in but unless I shell out cash for their premium service I cannot inmessage someone unless I already have them in my network.

Dice is also good as I'm sure you're aware.

I actually got the job before this one through a Craigslist posting, but that's very hit-or-miss. You are often able to just send a cover letter email + attached resume, though, so it's less of a time sink to apply to things there.

As far as the job market being dry, where are you located? Overall I feel like things are pretty decent right now.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Dice is also good as I'm sure you're aware.

I actually got the job before this one through a Craigslist posting, but that's very hit-or-miss. You are often able to just send a cover letter email + attached resume, though, so it's less of a time sink to apply to things there.

As far as the job market being dry, where are you located? Overall I feel like things are pretty decent right now.

Outside of Toronto. Travelling into the city is a chore but I will do it as long as it's off of the train line. Last thing I want to do is take a 1.5 hour train ride into another 40 minutes bus ride.

I'm in this weird scenario where Helpdesk jobs will under pay, I have sysadmin experience but none of the certs to back it up (yet). I've done consulting work for software companies but overall am fairly young for a lot of the positions that would be a step up pay grade wise.

I'm trying to find a job that I can grow with and will not take a pay cut. I'd like to avoid a lateral move if possible but if the move promises growth I would consider it. My current position is for a small company and I've reached the limits of what I can do here.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I'm curious, when you say you've been at it for a month and a half, have you sent out a lot of resumes?

I've had friends complain that nobody is hiring and they are ready to give up, then I find out they've only sent out 1 or 2 resumes, and ruled out so many places based on arbitrary criteria. (Things like "Oh this one wants 6 years experience, but I only have 4" and poo poo like that)...
(I'm definitely not saying you are doing this, I was more just curious how you've been attacking things so far)

For me, I typically use Indeed, having a presence on LinkedIn, etc, making sure my stuff is up to date.
Checking out local companies websites (companies I've driven by or heard people talk about, etc, companies people I know are following on LinkedIn) as well as LinkedIn Job search.

Also, I've found the best way to search is to think of things you enjoy working with and have experience with and then searching for those things as keywords. I almost didn't find my current job (which I love so far!) because I kept searching for "Sr. Windows Admin" and similar like my last title was, and the title here is very different since they are a different type of place.

I don't know if any of that is helpful. Just trying to give some ideas...

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

evol262 posted:

Nothing is ever guaranteed until you get an offer letter, and filling positions with external candidates instead of internal promotions is normal. Never expect to "get the spot" unless you change companies.

This is a school and I should expect this. Living in BFE sucks when it comes to tech jobs though. Going to have to spruce up the resume and keep looking.

e: And they actually made me finish submitting my references today so another shift in positions may have happened and this may still be playing out. We'll see.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

metavisual posted:

I'm curious, when you say you've been at it for a month and a half, have you sent out a lot of resumes?

I've had friends complain that nobody is hiring and they are ready to give up, then I find out they've only sent out 1 or 2 resumes, and ruled out so many places based on arbitrary criteria. (Things like "Oh this one wants 6 years experience, but I only have 4" and poo poo like that)...
(I'm definitely not saying you are doing this, I was more just curious how you've been attacking things so far)

For me, I typically use Indeed, having a presence on LinkedIn, etc, making sure my stuff is up to date.
Checking out local companies websites (companies I've driven by or heard people talk about, etc, companies people I know are following on LinkedIn) as well as LinkedIn Job search.

Also, I've found the best way to search is to think of things you enjoy working with and have experience with and then searching for those things as keywords. I almost didn't find my current job (which I love so far!) because I kept searching for "Sr. Windows Admin" and similar like my last title was, and the title here is very different since they are a different type of place.

I don't know if any of that is helpful. Just trying to give some ideas...

I'd say about on average I'm sending out 1 resume a Day.

I'll go about sprucing up my LinkedIn profile. It's up to date but I'm pretty inactive on it so maybe breathing some new life into it will generate views.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Sat there troubleshooting my script for a good 30 minutes, not realizing my input data was failing to validate and breaking it. I am become the stupid poo poo.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

m.hache posted:

I'd say about on average I'm sending out 1 resume a Day.

I'll go about sprucing up my LinkedIn profile. It's up to date but I'm pretty inactive on it so maybe breathing some new life into it will generate views.

Yeah keeping up on LinkedIn definitely helped me. It also kept me in the proper mindset of looking for a new job. I would always fall into that "today was a good day at this hellhole office so maybe I shouldn't leave?".
I've been in your position before (where I was at a small co. and basically outgrew the job), and I had a friend pop up out of nowhere from an old job and saying his place was looking. So LinkedIn really helps in that kind of circumstance.

Try to keep open minded too. Sometimes a job might not sound perfect on paper, but then you get there, and the people are amazing. (Good people can make a decent job AWESOME, and lovely people can make a decent job terrible!)

The one thing I can definitely say is try to remember what you don't like, but also what you DO like about your current job. Then you can look for those things when looking for something new. It sounds trivial but people tend to forget it.

Good luck! Keep at it, something will come up. Don't get discouraged!!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

metavisual posted:

Yeah keeping up on LinkedIn definitely helped me. It also kept me in the proper mindset of looking for a new job. I would always fall into that "today was a good day at this hellhole office so maybe I shouldn't leave?".
I've been in your position before (where I was at a small co. and basically outgrew the job), and I had a friend pop up out of nowhere from an old job and saying his place was looking. So LinkedIn really helps in that kind of circumstance.

Try to keep open minded too. Sometimes a job might not sound perfect on paper, but then you get there, and the people are amazing. (Good people can make a decent job AWESOME, and lovely people can make a decent job terrible!)

The one thing I can definitely say is try to remember what you don't like, but also what you DO like about your current job. Then you can look for those things when looking for something new. It sounds trivial but people tend to forget it.

Good luck! Keep at it, something will come up. Don't get discouraged!!

Thanks for the advice.

I'm sitting at this crossroads where I can go after any number of certifications. The Jack of all Trades dilemma.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You know what pisses me off daily? There's nowhere near my office that's good to go to for lunch.

I hate the daily half hour negotiation over where to eat for lunch. People shoot down suggestions and wjen you ask what they want, they say they don't know.

I'm starting to bring my own lunch today. Im tired of spending 8 to 10 bucks a day on mediocre food.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Bob Morales posted:

I work in some podunk town. I could eat cracker barrel every day but I don't. My other options are subway, mcdonalds, taco bell :(

I work in the third largest city in the state and our options for lunch are either fast food or sit-down restaurant. We have a cafeteria that's actually half decent but we have to eat off campus if we want to enjoy lunch without any interruptions. I'm so sick of Arby's I get physically ill just thinking about it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We just eat at the office and have an unspoken agreement that we do not even remotely mention anything work-related during lunch. It works well.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Jeoh posted:

We just eat at the office and have an unspoken agreement that we do not even remotely mention anything work-related during lunch. It works well.
I know this is how it should be done, but man my life is just not that interesting and doesn't overlap enough with your life for me to talk to anything but.

Me at lunch: So, anyone play iRacing? What'd you guys think of Veep last night? The new Mount Eerie album? Anyone here bike? No? Nothing? So uh, how about that project that we're working on then?

Honestly I think that's why everyone ends up talking about work at lunch. It's nothing malicious, it's just that you have your life, I have mine, and the only place I know they intersect is our shared misery at (thing that boss did).

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
We have one or two employees that just sit and wait until someone goes for lunch then get's them to go out of their way to pick something up.

If you don't they will call you on it when you come back with something to eat. It infuriates me to no end that I have to spend my lunch running around getting your food.

I actually refused to get lunch one day just to see what he would do. He works the 7-3 shift and he just skipped lunch and left at 3.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

m.hache posted:

We have one or two employees that just sit and wait until someone goes for lunch then get's them to go out of their way to pick something up.

If you don't they will call you on it when you come back with something to eat. It infuriates me to no end that I have to spend my lunch running around getting your food.

I actually refused to get lunch one day just to see what he would do. He works the 7-3 shift and he just skipped lunch and left at 3.
Annual review: Not a team player.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Annual review: Not a team player.

:suicide:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

skooma512 posted:

I'm starting to bring my own lunch today. Im tired of spending 8 to 10 bucks a day on mediocre food.

Nobody asked, but one of my favorite bring-to-work lunches is Dragon Noodles.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/08/spicy-noodles/

Add some chunks of chicken (big fan of supermarket whole rotisserie chickens for this), dump it into a microwave-safe tupperware, good to go. Great alternative to the same old sandwiches (also, I wouldn't call it as spicy as she does, but it's so easy to tweak the heat just by adjusting the amount of red pepper flake you use). Takes literally 10 minutes to make, refrigerates just fine overnight.

Jeoh posted:

The lunchroom is a safe place. Manual laborers need the physical rest, people like us need to rest our brains. Even if everyone's lives are entirely different, you can still get amusing anecdotes out of them; failing that, I'd rather eat in relative silence. Can't tell you how many times the solution to a vexing problem has come upon me within a half hour of NOT actively thinking about it.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

m.hache posted:

"Why don't you get your own loving food instead of waiting for me to go for lunch? Your legs don't work?"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tailored Sauce posted:

"Why don't you get your own loving food instead of waiting for me to go for lunch? Your legs don't work?"

I tend to wait for people to leave to lunch and then ask where they're going because I can't decide on my own. I go with them though, I want to get out of the office anyway.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

skooma512 posted:

I invested $20 in one of Crock-Pot's lunch warmers. I can plug it in at my desk and warm up leftovers of whatever the girlfriend and I made the night before. It's nice being able to have stuff like beef stew, red beans and rice, etc. instead of yet more sandwiches or going out for food.

It's lasted me like two years, to boot.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If I go out to lunch I always ask if anyone wants something. I have a company credit card, so if I'm buying lunch for the shop, work gets to pay for it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

skooma512 posted:

I hate the daily half hour negotiation over where to eat for lunch. People shoot down suggestions and wjen you ask what they want, they say they don't know.

"Why does this Indian buffet serve General Tso's Chicken?" he asked
I reply "There's always one giant manbaby in the group that will veto every lunch suggestion you make, while refusing to suggest a restaurant, until you finally guess what he's in the mood for that day."
---
"Look, they serve Chinese food there. We know you eat Chinese, are you coming or not?"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Lunch chat is strange for me now that my lunch decision is "which delicious cafeteria in my company's building do I want to go to today?"

Go... out for lunch? Outside? I've heard of these places, they want you to pay THEM when YOU show up?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

Lunch chat is strange for me now that my lunch decision is "which delicious cafeteria in my company's building do I want to go to today?"

Go... out for lunch? Outside? I've heard of these places, they want you to pay THEM when YOU show up?

When I did consulting for a hospital in the states it just blew my mind when they told me they had a cafeteria with decent food. $3 would be me a full meal.

If I ever worked in a place that offered that I'd never bring a lunch again.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
The cafeteria is on of my company's claims to fame. $4 for a reasonable lunch sized portion of steak and mashed potatoes? Yes please.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

captkirk posted:

The cafeteria is on of my company's claims to fame. $4 for a reasonable lunch sized portion of steak and mashed potatoes? Yes please.

Free is even better.

I'll stop now.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
There are so many places to eat within a reasonable drive from my office that you could easily grab lunch at a different spot every day for at least two or three months straight, and that's not even counting the chain restaurants and fast food joints. The down side is that choosing can be hard sometimes; even if you agree on a cuisine, that only narrows it down to half a dozen choices at best.

We used to have a cafeteria in the building that served some pretty good sandwiches and salads, but the couple who ran it moved on to another location a while back. Our company made some arrangements with a few places, though, so now we get food in the building a few times a week, once from a local BBQ joint (not my favorite BBQ, but pretty good), once from Chick-Fil-A (meh), and once from a local food truck (quite tasty).

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I thought the hosts file wasn't even used anymore but I'm curious why is he incorrect?

m.hache posted:

It's a management nightmare.

It's like opting to use a rock instead of a hammer to sink a nail.

Did I mention our 4000 machines with static IPs get entered into a hosts file? Not DNS. A hosts file. That gets replicated once per day.
(granted there may be magical voodoo I know nothing about that imports that into our dns server)

I wish I were joking.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

m.hache posted:

When I did consulting for a hospital in the states it just blew my mind when they told me they had a cafeteria with decent food. $3 would be me a full meal.

If I ever worked in a place that offered that I'd never bring a lunch again.

Mine used to be in house but they outsourced to Sodexo.

The way people talk about how the food used to be, it pretty much is the stuff of legends at this point. Burrito bars, good fried chicken, 25 cent hot wings :allears:. They talk the same way about the sister hospital's cafeteria.

Now it's all just chicken and rice everyday and the price is going up for that too. The reason the team was eating out so much is because for a little bit more you actually get a good meal.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Maniaman posted:

Did I mention our 4000 machines with static IPs get entered into a hosts file? Not DNS. A hosts file. That gets replicated once per day.
(granted there may be magical voodoo I know nothing about that imports that into our dns server)

I wish I were joking.

I don't think I could handle working in a place that has shonky poo poo like that going...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Pissing me off: Public ip addressing used on internal, NAT'd servers.
Not pissing me off: Finding out you own not one, but TWO full /24 blocks. I'm registering our ASN as soon as I get some more details. Local Peering here I come (Google is our main target). :D

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

Nobody asked, but one of my favorite bring-to-work lunches is Dragon Noodles.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/08/spicy-noodles/

Add some chunks of chicken (big fan of supermarket whole rotisserie chickens for this), dump it into a microwave-safe tupperware, good to go. Great alternative to the same old sandwiches (also, I wouldn't call it as spicy as she does, but it's so easy to tweak the heat just by adjusting the amount of red pepper flake you use). Takes literally 10 minutes to make, refrigerates just fine overnight.

Serious Eats has some great "instant" noodles recipes. They're all pretty great (and healthy).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

captkirk posted:

Volmarias posted:

Free is even better.

I'll stop now.

Yeah because food at the grocery store costs nothing. It's honesty hard to beat a $4 full meal even if you cook it yourself.

One of the things I love love love about my new job is that there's no expectation to sit at your desk and eat. My last couple jobs were of the mindset to eat at your desk while you keep working. This job the guys take hour lunch, go for a walk around the city, grab a coffee, come back to work. It's wonderful.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sickening posted:

The McAfee mxlogic spam filter service has been great for a long time for our company. However something has changed over the past two days and now its being super loving aggressive and marking almost everything loving spam. I can't seem to whitelist poo poo fast enough. loving Mcafee!!!!! :argh:

This issue has become a shitshow.

1. McAfee has metric that give each email a spam metric. An email can have a possible score of 100% spam. Emails with this score will be blocked (no option to quarantine) no matter if the domain is white listed.

2. Blocked email logs are not accessible by the customers. I can't see the entire list of email that is being blocked with all my access. Only McAfee can. I can only see a non-detailed report. Blocked email has risen from 5% to 40% on the 22nd.

3. A test plain text email was sent from my inbox to McAfee during our support call and the tech told me that my message was labeled 100% as spam.

I am now in a bad spot. I have to decide to either way for support to resolve my issue or change loving mx records and take mxlogic completely out of the loop.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I used to go out to various restaurants for lunch every day as I work near a good variety and have an hour lunch. Lately I have been going Disc Golfing during my lunches instead. A Clif Bar and a water and my discs. I get exercise and work on my game and don't think about work at all. Plus I save about $10/day not going out to eat.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Trastion posted:

I used to go out to various restaurants for lunch every day as I work near a good variety and have an hour lunch. Lately I have been going Disc Golfing during my lunches instead. A Clif Bar and a water and my discs. I get exercise and work on my game and don't think about work at all. Plus I save about $10/day not going out to eat.

Eh, I bike to and from the train, plus I walk two miles a day, so I don't need exercise. I typically get lunch out, it's hard to get small portions anywhere in NYC, so I have the leftovers the next day. This way I spend ten bucks every other day, and have a decent lunch.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sickening posted:

I am now in a bad spot. I have to decide to either way for support to resolve my issue or change loving mx records and take mxlogic completely out of the loop.

Change the MX records. And find a less completely poo poo email filtering company. Let them know how completely poo poo they are by demanding a full refund.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Yeah because food at the grocery store costs nothing. It's honesty hard to beat a $4 full meal even if you cook it yourself.

You probably can if you buy and cook in bulk,but agreed. You're also not going to have it fresh and hot in the middle of the work day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

1. McAfee has metric that give each email a spam metric. An email can have a possible score of 100% spam. Emails with this score will be blocked (no option to quarantine) no matter if the domain is white listed.

2. Blocked email logs are not accessible by the customers. I can't see the entire list of email that is being blocked with all my access. Only McAfee can. I can only see a non-detailed report. Blocked email has risen from 5% to 40% on the 22nd.

3. A test plain text email was sent from my inbox to McAfee during our support call and the tech told me that my message was labeled 100% as spam.

We are running MXLogic here as well, no issues. Yet.....