Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AHungryRobot posted:

The last time I played DoomRPG+RL was about a year ago and I played as a renegade and just pumped luck until I was basically jesus. Has anything changed since then?

DoomRPG development keeps going but the Arsenal has a big update that's been "coming soon" for the last 6 months. And has been basically been on hold for the last month because GZDoom builds are a trainwreck right now and Yholl is addicted to using the absolute latest DECORATE features.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Arivia posted:

So the left is the new cacodemon, what's on the right? The pinky replacement? Really weird that one

Yup. It looks kinda goofy in-game, but works as a "something completely different from id's own creation". Can't find it anywhere, but I remember the 0.5 or 0.6 version had very absolutely terrible pinky, sort of bipedal mouth thing.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so my Doom experiences have been limited to BD, TnT, Plutonia, and full Doom 1 and 2 (with a little bit of Doom The Way ID Would Do It). I'm going to check out Going Down and Demonsteele, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

For the mapsets, Memento Mori 1 & 2, Alien Vendetta and Requiem are absolute classics. For something less conservative, I absolutely reccomend Ultimate Torment & Torture and Cold as Hell. And many, many more, but hey, those one are just for the start.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

laserghost posted:

Yup. It looks kinda goofy in-game, but works as a "something completely different from id's own creation". Can't find it anywhere, but I remember the 0.5 or 0.6 version had very absolutely terrible pinky, sort of bipedal mouth thing.

For the mapsets, Memento Mori 1 & 2, Alien Vendetta and Requiem are absolute classics. For something less conservative, I absolutely reccomend Ultimate Torment & Torture and Cold as Hell. And many, many more, but hey, those one are just for the start.

Appreciate it!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jordan7hm posted:

On that note I'm poking at this again... has anything of note come out since Valiant? I've seen stuff like Capellan's boom map, Favilesco Alpha E2, and Memfis' really cool reality maps, but not sure if anything else of note has released.

You can try Estranged. It's not as impressive as Valiant or Going Down, but it's still a fairly solid one-man-megawad. I'd also suggest taking a look at Way Too Many Dead Guys for a shorter romp.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

laserghost posted:

Heh, I think that was an unfinished sprite from Scuba Steve's Ghostbusters Doom. Sort of a pink walking slimer, but the animation of the arms was really stiff.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Modes of Destruction has been updated to version 0.4 with two new weapons, an optional HUD based on Blue Shadow's NC HUD, and a whole host of in-game options. Also you can swing a chainsaw like a sword and kill up to nine enemies at once to slake the thirst of the Blood God.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I gave Freedoom a go for the first time and I have to say its pretty decent. The sound effects are the weakest part of it, and I don't like the imp replacement all that much, not cause its bad so much as its a different style from the rest of the sprites. The maps are pretty nice though, they're a lot more geometrically complex than normal doom is and they have some great visual tributes to the original games maps.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The maps are more complex because they're Boom maps, so they have a lot more freedom than if they wanted to be completely faithful.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh gently caress, I'm a huge Ghostbusters nerd, and never played the Ghostbusters wad. Is it worth it?

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010
Ghostbusters Doom is a curiosity, more than anything. Never got finished, might have to cheat to get through it. Give it a shot!

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

These look to be good, so I've rolled them into the Quake soundtrack guide. If anyone hits a problem using them please let me know.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Fifteen years ago yesterday, the world was graced with a way to objectively judge FPS games.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Tried the Gunman Chronicles demo last night. That... sure is a game. Really bizarre setting. I'm part of a Marine Corps, except we wear cowboy hats for some reason, and we're going to a planet with Aztec ruins built over a volcano that are also infested with dinosaurs, including a giant T-Rex stomping around, constantly breaking open new passageways? And yet, it all almost coheres together, somehow.

Also, that weapon customization thing is utterly unlike anything else I've ever tried. I get a rocket launcher, but then I can set it up to work like Half-Life's guided launcher (at least, I think you can guide the missiles in HL1 like you can HL2's; it's been so long), a homing launcher or a standard rocket launcher with spiraling rockets... then I can set the rockets to explode on proximity, on contact, on a timer... set them up to explode immediately or to into several smaller rockets that explode individually after a delay... it's incredible. Although adding "Sniper" to the end of the pistol's customization menu seems an odd choice to me, since the sniper rifle is an entirely separate gun that's switched to when you choose the "Sniper" setting, even if they share the same ammo pool.

Lastly, is it just me or does GoldSrc run faster on a GeForce2 MX400 when you use OpenGL instead of Direct3D?

Segmentation Fault posted:

honestly I just like setting up .bat files. It's sort of like how people prefer software rendering or CRTs or poo poo, vinyl. the bits are warmer
I must confess I'm really enjoying the use of this CRT monitor I bought for my Windows 98 machine. It handles lower resolutions so well; it doesn't become the mess it does on LCD monitors where you either get a blurry image or a distorted one where some rows of pixels are thicker than others or what have you, no, everything's perfectly uniform yet very crisp. I kind of wish I had room on my desk to setup this thing as a second monitor for my Windows 7 computer instead of using it for Windows 98...

Oh, and .BAT files are okay I guess. Messing with them has certainly been relatively useful, since I've been having to hand-edit CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT on my Windows 98 machine (they were completely blank when I got them, which led to some issues with using pure-DOS mode - notably, I couldn't reboot back into Windows without hard-resetting the computer). I tend to prefer pulling up a command prompt if I'm going to be finagling with command-line parameters, though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My last CRT monitor was an AOC 17" wich was able to go up to 1600x1200, lasted me well until it died in 2005. I could play Unreal in 1999 when I got it at that resolution with my Voodoo 3 3000 AGP, amazing stuff but all text was so small that I played @ 1024x768 instead.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Shadow Hog posted:

Lastly, is it just me or does GoldSrc run faster on a GeForce2 MX400 when you use OpenGL instead of Direct3D?
It's not just you. Back in the day Half-Life's OpenGL renderer was much better than its Direct3D one, and not only that but NVidia's cards tended favor OpenGL, while D3D was more in ATI's wheelhouse.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

I must confess I'm really enjoying the use of this CRT monitor I bought for my Windows 98 machine. It handles lower resolutions so well; it doesn't become the mess it does on LCD monitors where you either get a blurry image or a distorted one where some rows of pixels are thicker than others or what have you, no, everything's perfectly uniform yet very crisp. I kind of wish I had room on my desk to setup this thing as a second monitor for my Windows 7 computer instead of using it for Windows 98...

I actually have a custom 768x480 resolution set up in my nvidia control panel (640x480 but 16:10) and have it set so that non native res is scaled on the GPU before outputted to the monitor. It's not as nice as a CRT but it's certainly not distorted, and the blurriness isn't all that bad.

Ideally I'd like games to run at a virtual low resolution then get scaled up to native res, like how Chocolate Doom and some other ports do it, but most games just don't do that. (Interestingly enough, Half-Life does it if you set the res below native and you use hardware acceleration)

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Lork posted:

It's not just you. Back in the day Half-Life's OpenGL renderer was much better than its Direct3D one, and not only that but NVidia's cards tended favor OpenGL, while D3D was more in ATI's wheelhouse.

They had probably had better OpenGL support because of the Quake legacy

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Shadow Hog posted:

Y'all read this? Neat article digging into how CRTs look different, from the POV of someone trying to emulate the look. http://gamasutra.com/blogs/KylePittman/20150420/241442/CRT_Simulation_in_Super_Win_the_Game.php

I still have my 21" CRT in the garage. Would be fun to lug it out and see some old games on it, but man what a space hog... I'm not sure where I could put it even temporarily.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The idea was too far ahead of it's time. If only they had listened we wouldn't have all this screeching about "shills" and whatnot.

Also, goddam time flies!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Reading this again and feeling anger, because no site nowadays can mock video games without being obnoxious

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So aside from Wrack, Tower of Guns, Ziggurat, Fancy Skulls and Heavy Bullets (and from the look of it the upcoming Bunker Runners), are there any other recent FPSes that are reasonably close to being Doom-/Quake-likes? It seems like we're getting a bit of a modern resurgence, but I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the whole roguelite FPS formula in general. On top of that ToG and Ziggurat have really bad gunfeel and Heavy Bullet's entire gimmick is there's only one gun, so out of those the ones I liked the most are Fancy Skulls (still Early Access and uglier than Doom) and Wrack (despite the fact that's it's nowhere near as good as Doom/Doom 2 :().

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 28, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
All of the maps in UT99.org's 512kb map contest are now in one easy to install package. There are about 30 or so maps in the pack.

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-tournament/6022/UT99-org-512kb-mappack

It's worth a download if you want some small but fresh UT99 maps that are also bot-friendly.

One of the maps from the contest, CTF-MeinKraft, is getting a "director's cut" edition that has everything the creator originally made for the map before cutting it down for the contest and more.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ul6o3908jk4in3/CTF-MeinKraft%5D%5B-v3.zip?dl=0

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shadow Hog posted:

Tried the Gunman Chronicles demo last night. That... sure is a game. Really bizarre setting. I'm part of a Marine Corps, except we wear cowboy hats for some reason, and we're going to a planet with Aztec ruins built over a volcano that are also infested with dinosaurs, including a giant T-Rex stomping around, constantly breaking open new passageways? And yet, it all almost coheres together, somehow.

Also, that weapon customization thing is utterly unlike anything else I've ever tried. I get a rocket launcher, but then I can set it up to work like Half-Life's guided launcher (at least, I think you can guide the missiles in HL1 like you can HL2's; it's been so long), a homing launcher or a standard rocket launcher with spiraling rockets... then I can set the rockets to explode on proximity, on contact, on a timer... set them up to explode immediately or to into several smaller rockets that explode individually after a delay... it's incredible. Although adding "Sniper" to the end of the pistol's customization menu seems an odd choice to me, since the sniper rifle is an entirely separate gun that's switched to when you choose the "Sniper" setting, even if they share the same ammo pool.

The game is especially interesting to me because, if you choose to go down the path of getting a copy and playing it, you will largely be playing it without any real foresight or knowledge of what to expect. Even in 2015, it's pretty difficult to find comprehensive information on the game to spoil things for you. The most prominent wiki is extremely incomplete (I seem to recall that there was a more cohesive wiki at some point in the past, although I can't find it) and most people haven't heard of the game, let alone played it. So you'd be delving in to it more or less blind...and there's a fair amount of strangeness waiting for you. Sentient robotic species (including something that really looks like HL2's "Dog") and rogue AIs a la Shodan, planets reminiscent of alien-Egypt and the wild west, dorks in gyrocopters, a comprehensive family of "Xenomes" ranging from lowly drones to something that looks like a gargantuan deep sea worm...thing. It goes on and on.

This is all based on my memories of playing the game 12 or 13 years ago, but it's definitely an overlooked title that was nothing if not imaginative.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So on replaying SiN I noticed something I overlooked the last time I played it years ago: the Freeport Subway map in the Subway level is straight up the Washington DC Metro map scanned in to a low res texture. Were the devs based near DC or was it just the easiest subway map to get on the late 90s internet?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
They were based in Dallas. It was probably just the first best subway map they found in an image search.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
For those not aware, there's a really recent updated mod named DemonSteele.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RElfXigIe4c

It's loving awesome.

Namagem fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 28, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Namagem posted:

For those not aware, there's a really recent mod named DemonSteele.

It's loving awesome.

Ah, the magic of reading the thread. :)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
guys let me tell you about this mod that makes doom even doomier

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

:twisted: Bruuuuuutal Dooooooom :unsmigghh: :worship:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Aeons of Death? Yeah, it's pretty great.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

Aeons of Death? Yeah, it's pretty great.

No

:twisted: :black101: Bruuuuuutal Dooooooom :unsmigghh: :worship: :tutbutt:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Actual question regarding Demonsteele: How the gently caress does the Arch-Vile attack work? It's the only thing I have no idea how to deal with by dodging/sword slashing. It's really obnoxious.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Namagem, I think this mod might be more your speed.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I really like Brutal Doom.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I really like Brutal Doom.

gently caress yourself.

e: its 'go gently caress yourself!', isn't it?

ee: bring Danny Glover back and I'd play that poo poo again

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 28, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
One thing I can agree with is that Brutal Doom makes FreeDoom doomier

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

I like Doom. I like Ponies. I think whoever built this needs to be shot.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

So aside from Wrack, Tower of Guns, Ziggurat, Fancy Skulls and Heavy Bullets (and from the look of it the upcoming Bunker Runners), are there any other recent FPSes that are reasonably close to being Doom-/Quake-likes? It seems like we're getting a bit of a modern resurgence, but I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the whole roguelite FPS formula in general. On top of that ToG and Ziggurat have really bad gunfeel and Heavy Bullet's entire gimmick is there's only one gun, so out of those the ones I liked the most are Fancy Skulls (still Early Access and uglier than Doom) and Wrack (despite the fact that's it's nowhere near as good as Doom/Doom 2 :().
Honestly, the only thing that's really struck me as coming even close is Rise of the Triad [2013], and even then it's not quite there. (As a guy who obsesses over finding every secret in a level, I'm not a huge fan of the multiple points-of-no-return per stage. Also it's kind of overly desaturated; I know you can disable a filter to bring back the saturation, but still.)

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The game is especially interesting to me because, if you choose to go down the path of getting a copy and playing it, you will largely be playing it without any real foresight or knowledge of what to expect. Even in 2015, it's pretty difficult to find comprehensive information on the game to spoil things for you. The most prominent wiki is extremely incomplete (I seem to recall that there was a more cohesive wiki at some point in the past, although I can't find it) and most people haven't heard of the game, let alone played it. So you'd be delving in to it more or less blind...and there's a fair amount of strangeness waiting for you. Sentient robotic species (including something that really looks like HL2's "Dog") and rogue AIs a la Shodan, planets reminiscent of alien-Egypt and the wild west, dorks in gyrocopters, a comprehensive family of "Xenomes" ranging from lowly drones to something that looks like a gargantuan deep sea worm...thing. It goes on and on.

This is all based on my memories of playing the game 12 or 13 years ago, but it's definitely an overlooked title that was nothing if not imaginative.
I'm certainly strongly considering it; it's not like used copies are terribly expensive nowadays, and it seems like the kind of game that shouldn't be obscure - but somehow, it is.

Debating whether I'd want to play that on the Win98 machine or the Win7 machine, though. (Probably the latter, if only because 1920x1080; I should probably try the demo on it, too.)

Namagem posted:

For those not aware, there's a really recent updated mod named DemonSteele.

It's loving awesome.
TerminusEst13 (the mod maker) is a thread regular, if you weren't aware.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Y'know, I'm not entirely averse to the idea of Doom and FiM crossing over, but this strikes me as doing it all wrong. (Honestly, I'd probably limit it to a skin or deathmatch map, at most.)

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

apophenium posted:

Actual question regarding Demonsteele: How the gently caress does the Arch-Vile attack work? It's the only thing I have no idea how to deal with by dodging/sword slashing. It's really obnoxious.

Archviles in vanilla Doom were pretty priority targets that punished the player for being idle and trying to play it safe. The DemonSteele Archvile works the same way, but starts filling up the room double-time; if there are no enemies around to resurrect, the Archvile sets up little flaming turrets that float in the air and constantly fire at you, turning a room into a battalion of bullet hell. The turrets don't move once they start firing, so if you keep enough distance, you can quickly see it's a very linear method of attack and can side-step accordingly.
A lot of the higher-tier enemies are intended to force you to use soul energy, kind of like vanilla enemies draining you of your rockets or plasma. A single Testament/Acacia special will annihilate them, and if you don't have that then Exodus or a charged Omen can clear their turrets out pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Hey, what if Valve incorporated Doom mods and source ports into their Steam Workshop? Wouldn't that be grand?