Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

TwoPair posted:

Thor Annual: After the last arc of Thor God of Thunder, Thor restored life to Earth after it had been long dead. Yet Earth's restoration seems to be not going so well and Thor's unhappy, so his granddaughters are getting together to cheer him up.

I am especially happy with this as I actually live on the banks of the River Don.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
We've been posting stuff from Alan Moore's Top 10 in the Funny Panel and the Badass threads, figured we should put some here too.

If anyone isn't familiar, Top 10 is about the superpowered police in a city where everyone has superpowers. But instead of being like a superhero team, it's a police procedural. So, basically it's like the first half of a Law & Order episode, if Lenny Brisco could shoot energy beams from his chest.

In the first issue of Book 2, there's been a teleporter accident and a guy and his wife have been fused with one of the Great Gamers (basically, a gigantic knight from an intergalactic chess game of cosmic import).

The guy's wife died instantly and he and he gamer are starting to get close.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 26, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Perry Normal posted:

We've been posting stuff from Alan Moore's Top 10 in the Funny Panel and the Badass threads, figured we should put some here too.

If anyone isn't familiar, Top 10 is about the superpowered police in a city where everyone has superpowers. But instead of being like a superhero team, it's a police procedural. So, basically it's like the first half of a Law & Order episode, if Lenny Brisco could shoot energy beams from his chest.

In the first issue of Book 2, there's been a teleporter accident and a guy and his wife have been fused with one of the Great Gamers (basically, a gigantic knight from an intergalactic chess game of cosmic import).

That one's good, but you should also post the panels from the start of the issue where they started to bond if you have them. I've been searching to no avail, "Top 10" not being the easiest web search.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Try "top 10 comic" or "top 10 alan moore", that narrows the field a bit.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Perry Normal posted:

I'm still annoyed True Detective plagiarized that dialogue.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm still annoyed True Detective plagiarized that dialogue.

That's gonna be happening to Moore for the next 100 years, I feel.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

That's gonna be happening to Moore for the next 100 years, I feel.

Kind of a compliment in a sense, I guess. Although I doubt he'll see it that way.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
here's one that I felt was pretty nice;

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Nemo! Fantomah! Spy Smasher!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What's the deal with the toothbrush? All the rest are actual comic book characters so I have to assume it is too.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Stardust being the source of true life and imagination is something I'm not entirely comfortable with, to be honest.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Stardust being the source of true life and imagination is something I'm not entirely comfortable with, to be honest.

You dare speak against Stardust!?

*turns you into one of your posts*

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SynthOrange posted:

Have mercy!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I think Allred did a better job making the same point himself in that one Batman story he did for Solo.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

SynthOrange posted:

:vince:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I never thought I'd see a story where Stardust was anything other than a weird madman with freakishly inhuman proportions, but here we are.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

TwoPair posted:

I never thought I'd see a story where Stardust was anything other than a weird madman with freakishly inhuman proportions, but here we are.
Stardust in halftone while the rest of the comic is in... fulltone (?) regular modern print is a nice touch.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

feels pretty nice considering most other modern uses of him have him as some horrible monster, which is getting kinda tired(especially while his methods are especially brutal by modern standards, his villains are pretty much all the sort that in a modern comic would each be the focus of a company-wide crossover, and are all horrid enough in their deeds to deserve the fates they receive by Stardust)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

drrockso20 posted:

feels pretty nice considering most other modern uses of him have him as some horrible monster, which is getting kinda tired(especially while his methods are especially brutal by modern standards, his villains are pretty much all the sort that in a modern comic would each be the focus of a company-wide crossover, and are all horrid enough in their deeds to deserve the fates they receive by Stardust)

Those modern depictions are also transparent criticisms of his creator, who was by all accounts a drunken piece of crap.

I get it, though, because I can't think of anything more golden age than Stardust the Super Wizard, and that's what he represents in that comic; the age of innocence and hope that early comics had. They were weird and colorful and simplified and naive.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Those modern depictions are also transparent criticisms of his creator, who was by all accounts a drunken piece of crap.

I get it, though, because I can't think of anything more golden age than Stardust the Super Wizard, and that's what he represents in that comic; the age of innocence and hope that early comics had. They were weird and colorful and simplified and naive.

Very true(especially the LOEG version, which also came as yet another tired slam against both Superheroes and American Pop Culture from Alan Moore, and that's coming from someone who likes most of what he's made that I've read)

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Stardust is basically the thesis for why superhero comics are great and terrible. It's all nonsense but goddamn look how crazy that nonsense is. Is just better hidden these days.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's no Herbie.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I dunno, to be honest. I've got the two comic collections. The world of Stardust and friends is one where Earth is in the(civilized) stars and certainly capable of dealing with threats itself, given warning. Huge, crazy evil plans, Earth is almost always the target. But things work out.

It's no crazier than Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers, for instance.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

goatface posted:

He's no Herbie.

That they never teamed up proves we live in an unjust world.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Chaos Hippy posted:

That they never teamed up proves we live in an unjust world.

I tried; it didn't take.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Herbie is just a very different tone than Stardust. A bit more sardonic and resigned, rather than the enthusiastic fury. No less good, but very different.

But sadly, if Hanks' son is to be believed (and there's no reason he isn't), he really was quite the monster.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 4, 2015

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Toph Bei Fong posted:

But sadly, if Hanks' son is to be believed (and there's no reason he isn't), he really was quite the monster.

I don't get it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

I don't get it.
Fletcher Hanks was a terrible person.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

Fletcher Hanks was a terrible person.

Here I thought these people flying off the earth because of no gravity was a modern day parody of those golden age. Poes law.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Alan Moore's portrayal of Stardust in League of Extraordinary Gentleman might be my favourite, hilarious and dark takedown of a real person I've ever read. It's downright polemic in it's simplicity.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Alan Moore's portrayal of Stardust in League of Extraordinary Gentleman might be my favourite, hilarious and dark takedown of a real person I've ever read. It's downright polemic in it's simplicity.
What was it? I stopped reading LoEG ages ago.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

What was it? I stopped reading LoEG ages ago.

Quite simply. As a constantly drunken bastard that froze to death.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
gently caress you 52
Convergence Superman

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Dan Didio posted:

What issue was that, again?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Breetai posted:

What issue was that, again?

Century, someplace.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm pretty sure it's in the text ephemera in Black Dossier. The part that also has Barbie (Yes, the doll) in it. But Century has references within the hideout under the club to that period of the League.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
It's the text backups in Century. Mina and Gollywog visit the moon (and the Amazon women thereon), and on the way, Mina reminisces about that time she was a '50s-era superhero and fought Stardust. It's weird.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's the text backups in Century. Mina and Gollywog visit the moon (and the Amazon women thereon), and on the way, Mina reminisces about that time she was a '50s-era superhero and fought Stardust. It's weird.
Here's a pic for those who haven't read Century:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

redbackground posted:

Here's a pic for those who haven't read Century:

He's also frozen in Ice-Nine, just to add to Moore's literary references in his fan-fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

LashLightning posted:

He's also frozen in Ice-Nine, just to add to Moore's literary references in his fan-fiction.

To be fair, there's not a lot else that could contain that son of a bitch.