Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Anyone have any thoughts about vacuum cleaners? I regularly cut my own hair so it'd be nice to have one that didn't just blow hair aroudn when I tried to vacuum it too.

I have a Hoover Windtunnel upright that's been chugging along for the past 6-7 years or so.

When I don't feel like lugging that out I've also got one of these that I keep around my chinchilla cages to quickly suck up bedding and stuff they kick out of their cages and it's a pretty good little vacuum for small areas but it'd be a pain to use over large areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Alder posted:

If you live at a apt building the super will have a reliable vacuum that you may be able to borrow. Most of the time they will be fairly costly and not really space efficient.

There's no way I'm traipsing down to the loving leasing office every time I want to vacuum something.

I was in Costco with my wife and was kinda tempted by those wacky-looking Dyson ball vacuums but I have no idea if they're actually as good as they claim to be/worth the money.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I was in Costco with my wife and was kinda tempted by those wacky-looking Dyson ball vacuums but I have no idea if they're actually as good as they claim to be/worth the money.

They're not worth the price. Yeah they're a good vacuum but you can pay a couple hundred less for a pretty much equivalent vacuum.

What I like about my Hoover is that it's really easy to take apart so when my hair inevitably gets wrapped around the beater bar all it takes is a screwdriver and 5 minutes to get it up and running again.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
For the price, this is a fantastic desk. It's not nice, but it's practical, and far better constructed than you'd expect for a $120 desk, delivered.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't understand why this seems so hard. If you have $300 total, don't buy a $120 desk online. Or from Macy's. Or from K-Mart. Get a free desk on craigslist and pay $20 for a cab. Done.

Or do without a desk until you have a job, since at this point you can't afford next month's rent, right?

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Yeah and maybe keep an eye on freecycle.org if there's a group in your area. People are so lazy about moving/disposing of furniture. If you can manage to haul it over to your place you can probably get what you need for $20 apiece or so. UHaul truck rentals are great for this, but I don't know how convenient that would be for where you live, Alder.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a pricey Dyson and an inexpensive Hoover. I can't say that one does a better job than the other. Get the Hoover.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

There's no way I'm traipsing down to the loving leasing office every time I want to vacuum something.

Not worth it as the poster noted. Sorry, I'm used to having elevators but then again I had hardwood floors too.

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't understand why this seems so hard. If you have $300 total, don't buy a $120 desk online. Or from Macy's. Or from K-Mart. Get a free desk on craigslist and pay $20 for a cab. Done.

Or do without a desk until you have a job, since at this point you can't afford next month's rent, right?

Relative is helping me with 2 months of rent. I'm looking at CL obv and the subway schedules too. Just considering my options for durable furniture if I can't carry/find a computer desk. Actually not that familiar with NYC despite being a NY native so a lot of the places are ??? is that near GCT or not. Keep in mind I'm 4'11" and the amount of items I can carry is somewhat limited by my stature. I can ask my relatives but they've already helped me out a lot.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The guy giving away the desk will help you carry it to the curb. You hail a big cab from the curb. The driver will fit it in. At your apartment, your cabbie/roommate/super will help you carry it up for a few more bucks. Obviously don't get a behemoth, but any normal desk can be moved this way.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Anyone have any thoughts about vacuum cleaners? I regularly cut my own hair so it'd be nice to have one that didn't just blow hair aroudn when I tried to vacuum it too.
I have really long hair that gets everywhere + two cats & my Dyson DC25 picks up absolutely everything. I've had it for a little over 3 years and not had a single issue with it. I paid like $300 brand new on ebay.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

The guy giving away the desk will help you carry it to the curb. You hail a big cab from the curb. The driver will fit it in. At your apartment, your cabbie/roommate/super will help you carry it up for a few more bucks. Obviously don't get a behemoth, but any normal desk can be moved this way.

Alright, sounds good. How much is the avg taxi fare? I've never taken the taxi before in NYC. Mostly contacting people who seem local enough for furniture and small items.

IIRC it's $100/day car and debating if it's worth it or not. I do have a driver's license but limited exp with driving too.

Alder fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 27, 2015

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alder posted:

Alright, sounds good. How much is the avg taxi fare? I've never taken the taxi before in NYC. Mostly contacting people who seem local enough for furniture and small items.

IIRC it's $100/day car and debating if it's worth it or not. I do have a driver's license but limited exp with driving too.

Cabs won't come close to $100 unless you're taking 4-5 trips.

Which you're not.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The fare is printed on both sides of every cab in the city, and hopstop/etc. has estimates for specific routes, and I've said multiple times itt to figure $20 (for a reasonable distance).

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Renegret posted:

Cabs won't come close to $100 unless you're taking 4-5 trips.

Which you're not.

Alright thanks. Oh god why do upper east side apts have so many flights and no elevators. They also are much smaller than I expected from the outside.

Btw: is living in the basement apt that bad? Just curious as I saw a lot of places like this and they varies from ugly to not that bad.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
New York is going to eat you alive.

Why do you need a desk to apply for food stamps? Go to the library. Save your money.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Alder posted:

Alright thanks. Oh god why do upper east side apts have so many flights and no elevators. They also are much smaller than I expected from the outside.

Like a lot of NYC apartments they are old. Like 100-50 years old. If there was an elevator you wouldn't like it. ( The apartment i grew up in was in a building built in the 1920s and was previously a hospital. I once got stuck in the elevator twice in one day. Sure, management was lovely and didn't take great care of things but... i've been soured on the usefulness of elevators in building that are >50 years old)

That being said, cookies are really cheap and easy to bake, offer to friends/neighbors in exchange for carrying things. Also just asking random not sketchy strangers to help bring it up the stairs and then stare at them and say "THANKS GOT IT FROM HERE." at the top of the stairs and waddle it to your apartment if you're worried about letting strangers in. But standing around outside w/ a heavy thing and staring sadly would probably get you help even in the worst of neighborhoods. But again, if you don't comfortable w/ just asking strangers I totally get that.

Good luck!
P.S.

Xandu posted:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Xandu posted:

Why do you need a desk to apply for food stamps? Go to the library. Save your money.

I would but it's limited to one hour a day so I want to save jic there's a emergency and I can't spend 10 min swyping.

In a related note lots of cool free stuff on CL but don't do job searches. I swear I'm lucky I didn't get kidnapped applying for office work gdt.

I still love NY but the city is another world. I hate how folks say I'm from upstate but it's only like 20-30 min away. It's not really upstate until you see Canada :v:

Yeah but I thought they'd all be gutted and renovated inside. I can't imagine carrying all of my furniture up and down each time. Also, I rode a extremely small elevator today it fit 3 people if they stood in a L shape. Nightmares.

Alder fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 29, 2015

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Alder posted:

I would but it's limited to one hour a day so I want to save jic there's a emergency and I can't spend 10 min swyping.

In a related note lots of cool free stuff on CL but don't do job searches. I swear I'm lucky I didn't get kidnapped applying for office work gdt.

I still love NY but the city is another world. I hate how folks say I'm from upstate but it's only like 20-30 min away. It's not really upstate until you see Canada :v:

Yeah but I thought they'd all be gutted and renovated inside. I can't imagine carrying all of my furniture up and down each time. Also, I rode a extremely small elevator today it fit 3 people if they stood in a L shape. Nightmares.

Go in the middle of the day when kids aren't around, tell someone at a desk near the computers that you need to use them to apply for jobs/apply for food stamps/whatever and "if its possible for you to give me more time if I am running low and still need to do more stuff?" Because as a child I went to the BPL literally every day and used the computers there for a minimum of 4 hours a day, so trust me you can do this just talk to people stop assuming there is literally no way to get around some rule thats in your way. In the worst case they will say no. The 1 hour thing is entirely so small libraries w/ 2 computers dont have 2 kids playing runescape on them for 12 hours while people need to look stuff up. Also there are probably Community Centers or something near where you are that also offer free computer time for people looking for work/learning how to computer.

"I hate how folks say I'm from upstate..." I know its hard to believe but people use UP to mean NORTH and state to mean The state we are currently in. Don't worry everyone hates you for saying "Actually I lived in the southern tier why don't you know the names of all the places in this state??". Also I think this is a hilarious stance for you to take when you don't even know what neighborhood you currently live in in Queens. :lol: (by the way just walk into the nearest subway station and the big zoomed in map on the wall will tell you)

"Yeah but I thought they'd all be gutted and renovated inside." What? How would anyone afford to do that? Gutting an entire building is really expensive and also means you have to kick every rent-controlled or section 8 person out just so you can "make it look nice". That would be weird.

EDIT: To clarify the computer stuff, the librarians in charge of the computers can just sit at their machine and change the duration of your computer time (which includes dropping it to 1 minute if youre being an rear end in a top hat). At least that is how it was a few years ago, and I dont imagine that the BPL/NYPL/QPL would change that software when it works perfectly fine.

GenericGirlName fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 29, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Just in case anyone was wondering, landlord got off his rear end, agreed to treat the bedbugs himself. Right now I'm thanking my lucky stars that not every human being is a worthless, selfish, piece of poo poo.

And I will be quadruple-checking any leases I sign from now on for loving bedbug clauses.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

This seem weird to anyone else? Because I've never had anyone ask for a letter from my boss.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It's totally normal in NYC. I wouldn't be surprised in any other competitive market. Your boss just has to write "s/he's been here for X years and we're cool" on company letterhead.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Equine Don posted:

This seem weird to anyone else? Because I've never had anyone ask for a letter from my boss.

Last company I was with actually had an online form for this available where I'd look at my hours/pay that you can print out and use and my last landlord accepted it.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
What are some good options for hanging record sleeves on walls? It'd be nice for the record to be easy to remove, so I can still listen to something that's hung. I also cannot drill into the wall, so non-damaging options are necessary.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
^^^ On that note, do we have a "home/apartment decorating help" thread?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Rabbit Hill posted:

^^^ On that note, do we have a "home/apartment decorating help" thread?

I was wondering this. I have a door in my apartment that's classified as a fire escape so I need to leave it unobstructed, but it goes into my landlord's garage and I'm not allowed to open it. I would very much like to do something with it to make it look less...doory...but I have no idea what.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

My husband and I are about to move from Alabama to northern California (leaving in about three weeks), and we're trying to get our moving stuff straightened out. I haven't moved out of state since I was 19, and he hasn't ever lived in another state, so we're not exactly experienced in this whole cross-country moving thing.

Questions:
We have two cars, and we're looking at either having one shipped and driving the other, or having both shipped and flying out. What car shipping services are recommended?
What's best for temporary housing (for while you're finding an apartment)?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gnossiennes posted:

My husband and I are about to move from Alabama to northern California (leaving in about three weeks), and we're trying to get our moving stuff straightened out. I haven't moved out of state since I was 19, and he hasn't ever lived in another state, so we're not exactly experienced in this whole cross-country moving thing.

Questions:
We have two cars, and we're looking at either having one shipped and driving the other, or having both shipped and flying out. What car shipping services are recommended?

When you say "Northern California," realize you're talking about an area about twice the size of Alabama; you should probably narrow it down a little, since recommendations are going to be different depending on whether you mean Eureka, the Bay Area, Fresno, Chico, or somewhere else.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Gnossiennes posted:

I moved from Northern/Central California to Oregon and the ~15 hour drive in a U-Haul was horrible. I gave google maps a quick look over and its ~36 hours of continuous driving. I sat on a Greyhound (notably worse than driving yourself) for 36 hours twice in my life and both times I just wanted the sweet release of death half way through. I have no recommendation for car shipping, just wanted to make a point of how much driving time that is.

quote:

Depending on the value of your cars, the cost of smog checks (or fixing the issues if it doesn't pass), tags, registration, and shipping cross country may not be worth it.

quote:

This would be pretty dependent on where you're looking to live in norcal, I think. The city of Sacramento has 10x the population of the entire county of Siskiyou . The rental market outside of SF isn't that competitive in my experience, but I lived in the valley which is a cesspit.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Sorry about the vagueness! I'm well aware of the size of northern california; I just hadn't thought that would be an important part :) We're moving to Santa Rosa.

If we drive, we'll try to do it over 4 days (Montgomery -> Ft Smith, AR -> Albuquerque -> Bakersfield -> Santa Rosa), not all at once. The main reason for driving is that I'm pretty flying phobic, and would rather not fly.

Our cars aren't exactly pristine (he has a 2010 Kia soul, I have a 2007 Suzuki Forenza with a non-working catalytic converter). We don't have smog regulations or anything here, so I'm not familiar with what all that entails! Both cars are owned outright, and while we'd be able to afford it, we're a little hesitant to finance another car.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gnossiennes posted:

Sorry about the vagueness! I'm well aware of the size of northern california; I just hadn't thought that would be an important part :) We're moving to Santa Rosa.

If we drive, we'll try to do it over 4 days (Montgomery -> Ft Smith, AR -> Albuquerque -> Bakersfield -> Santa Rosa), not all at once. The main reason for driving is that I'm pretty flying phobic, and would rather not fly.

Our cars aren't exactly pristine (he has a 2010 Kia soul, I have a 2007 Suzuki Forenza with a non-working catalytic converter). We don't have smog regulations or anything here, so I'm not familiar with what all that entails! Both cars are owned outright, and while we'd be able to afford it, we're a little hesitant to finance another car.

It's possible you will not be able to register the Forenza at all in California; like, even with extensive work done to it. Also possible with the Soul, but less likely. There are some things with some cars that exclude them from being legal in California. They will do an inspection of your vehicle when you go to register it, and I don't think they'll register a vehicle without a catalytic converter, but you'd probably have better luck asking about specifics in the car forum.

Santa Rosa is... well, it's better than Ukiah, I'll give it that. Expect a commute. And expect really lovely traffic for such a small city.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

It's possible you will not be able to register the Forenza at all in California; like, even with extensive work done to it. Also possible with the Soul, but less likely. There are some things with some cars that exclude them from being legal in California. They will do an inspection of your vehicle when you go to register it, and I don't think they'll register a vehicle without a catalytic converter, but you'd probably have better luck asking about specifics in the car forum.

Santa Rosa is... well, it's better than Ukiah, I'll give it that. Expect a commute. And expect really lovely traffic for such a small city.

My work is in Santa Rosa, his work is in Rohnert Park, so commuting shouldn't be a big issue. I've asked about traffic on the 101 around there, too, and most people have said it's not an issue much now, since they added another lane. I'm more worried about it for me -- he's driven in Atlanta traffic and is fine with it, but I don't care for it. Thankfully, we'll probably be living pretty close to my work. :)

We'll probably look into getting me a different car, then. We'll check more about the Soul. Thank you!! I hadn't even thought about regulations with registering them.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Gnossiennes posted:

Not related to your original question, but I have had a life long phobia of airplanes and flying to the point that for most of my life I couldn't even be in an airport without feeling sick. I flew for the first time over Christmas at 28 years old and it was the most underwhelming experience of my life. A couple things helped: 1) I was flying with my s/o who has flown extensively, 2) I flew first class, 3) I watched a bunch of youtube videos of normal take offs/landings, 4) I looked up statistics on crashes for Boeing (ymmv) 5) ativan. Option #2 was only feasible because SF to Portland first class was $25 extra, after bag check fees, for a 90 minute flight.

The worst part of the flight was take off when I felt a little queasy, but I also get motion sick in cars so it wasn't an unusual thing. I am so peeved it took me this long to get over flying because once I did actually do it, it became a complete nonissue. I took greyhound back (because I didnt know how I'd handle the flight to SF) and being on a greyhound for that amount of time was more than enough to kill of any fear I had left about flying. On my second flight I actually managed to fly all by myself. :)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gnossiennes posted:

My work is in Santa Rosa, his work is in Rohnert Park, so commuting shouldn't be a big issue. I've asked about traffic on the 101 around there, too, and most people have said it's not an issue much now, since they added another lane. I'm more worried about it for me -- he's driven in Atlanta traffic and is fine with it, but I don't care for it. Thankfully, we'll probably be living pretty close to my work. :)

We'll probably look into getting me a different car, then. We'll check more about the Soul. Thank you!! I hadn't even thought about regulations with registering them.

My knowledge in this area is limited and somewhat based upon hearsay, so I would really ask in the car forum before making any drastic decisions based solely upon my advice.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

ladyweapon posted:

Not related to your original question, but I have had a life long phobia of airplanes and flying to the point that for most of my life I couldn't even be in an airport without feeling sick. I flew for the first time over Christmas at 28 years old and it was the most underwhelming experience of my life. A couple things helped: 1) I was flying with my s/o who has flown extensively, 2) I flew first class, 3) I watched a bunch of youtube videos of normal take offs/landings, 4) I looked up statistics on crashes for Boeing (ymmv) 5) ativan. Option #2 was only feasible because SF to Portland first class was $25 extra, after bag check fees, for a 90 minute flight.

The worst part of the flight was take off when I felt a little queasy, but I also get motion sick in cars so it wasn't an unusual thing. I am so peeved it took me this long to get over flying because once I did actually do it, it became a complete nonissue. I took greyhound back (because I didnt know how I'd handle the flight to SF) and being on a greyhound for that amount of time was more than enough to kill of any fear I had left about flying. On my second flight I actually managed to fly all by myself. :)

Well, tomorrow is actually my first flight ever. I'm flying about two hours to give a final presentation before I graduate and flying back the next day. No SO with me, but I will have a bunch of classmates who I've known for a few years and are cool! And I have klonopin because I wanna puke when I think about flying, but therapy has helped!

It definitely makes me feel less alone hearing from other people with the fear; so many other people just say "but it's so safe!!" which doesn't help, but I appreciate their intentions. But, your ability to get over the fear and it being a non-issue REALLY makes me feel more confident that I'll be alright! So thank you :)

Thanatosian -- Good idea!! I just wonder how many other things we'll need to do (not just cars) that we don't think to look into because we JUST DON'T KNOW THEM

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Gnossiennes posted:

Questions:

If you're shipping a car, be prepared to be without a car for a long time. My friend shipped his cross country (VA to WA) and was without a car for at least a month, and there's no guarantee you'll get it back in one piece. I've heard more horror stories than good experiences with car shipping. If I were you I'd sell the Suzuki, drive the Kia, and then buy a new second car when you get there. Driving allows you to bring more stuff to live off of while you wait for the moving truck to get to your new place than flying would too.

Staying in an extended stay hotel is your best bet, Homewood Suites are really nice (if you can afford it). Each room has a kitchen and the hotel serves free dinner to guests Sunday through Thursday nights in addition to free breakfast every day.

As an aside, everyone who's afraid of flying really should make a good effort to get over the fear. It's really not that bad and much much safer (and faster!) than driving, particularly in the United States and Europe. I don't think anyone particularly enjoys flying (unless they're one of those people who flies once every 10 years to go on vacation and the novelty of airplanes hasn't worn off yet). I design the things for a living so I know first-hand just how over-engineered they are, feel free to PM me if you want to learn about how airplanes really are designed not to kill you at all costs.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how much looking you've done for places, but housing in Santa Rosa and its environs is fantastically loving expensive, so get ready for some serious sticker shock. I know a lot of people who live in Ukiah or Hopland and commute both because it's cheaper, and because they can more easily subsidize their housing expenses by growing marijuana. It is a ridiculous loving commute, though.

It's been a long-rear end time since I lived anywhere near there, but check places like Rohnert Park, Petaluma, Sebastapol, and Windsor for cheaper rents without too ridiculous of a commute.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

I don't know how much looking you've done for places, but housing in Santa Rosa and its environs is fantastically loving expensive, so get ready for some serious sticker shock. I know a lot of people who live in Ukiah or Hopland and commute both because it's cheaper, and because they can more easily subsidize their housing expenses by growing marijuana. It is a ridiculous loving commute, though.

It's been a long-rear end time since I lived anywhere near there, but check places like Rohnert Park, Petaluma, Sebastapol, and Windsor for cheaper rents without too ridiculous of a commute.

Yeah, it's been a bit of a shock looking at rental prices compared to here! Here, you can get a decent 2bd sub $800. Thankfully, our income is increasing to a good equivalent compared to what we make here, so our standard of living isn't really gonna change v:shobon:v

We're gonna check out some of the surrounding area too, and thankfully, my soon-to-be-coworkers have been pretty helpful at describing the nearby neighborhoods/towns. We're making a nice list of apartments we wanna check out when we get there, but I don't think there's a whole helluva lot we can do until we're actually there!

Aquatic Giraffe -- you're an industrial designer too, right? I remember seeing you post a while back abut your work :)

I definitely understand the safety part -- I worked for a business aviation sales company for a few years, and I've seen the stringent overhaul procedures and documentation for engines. It's pretty intense, and that was just for small aircraft! I'm hoping my trip tomorrow will assuage my fears. I'd be glad! In this field, I can't really get out of needing to fly sometimes.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

So our new place has a grayish berber carpet but our couch is almost the exact same color. Any suggestions on keeping the place from looking too gray?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Brightly colored rug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Slipcover?