Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

dj_clawson posted:

Plus Tibet is usually totally closed to foreigners in March (the anniversary of the Tibetan Uprising) and July (the Dalai Lama's birthday)

Is that when the first one was born, or when the current one respawned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Figured I'd menton that I ran into my friend today at MEC (Canadian REI) and his boyfriend is safe, but has very little access to food. So my friend's bringing a huge stash of backpacking food to get by when he heads out tomorrow and they're going to work cleanup over there instead of the original plan of trekking.

I also found out today that someone I went to high school was also there and is currently still missing. Kind of strange to know people who are going through this right now.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

soy posted:

Color me surprised when I wake up to find out that my estranged mother is in Nepal somewhere via Facebook safety check-in thing. I have no details.

Your estranged mother sounds way more interesting than you. Maybe you should buy her an account and stop posting.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

dj_clawson posted:

I remember in the literature written about old school (pre-1980's) alpine climbers, they would hire like 80 people to move their gear to base camp, but when it came to actual climbing, it would basically be just them. They also wouldn't leave anybody behind. I think in the book "Annapurna" (overrated, BTW) it's mentioned that they were all tied together and they collectively refused to cut the rope when one of them slipped, so they all ended up hanging by one ice pick, determined to live or die together.

part of that was the technology of the time. tents were waxed canvas or skins, cookware was iron, bedding & clothing was wool and silk, oxygen tanks were steel. it just plain took more people to pack a camp in and out because each person's weight surplus available for portaging was considerably smaller

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

dj_clawson posted:

I remember in the literature written about old school (pre-1980's) alpine climbers, they would hire like 80 people to move their gear to base camp, but when it came to actual climbing, it would basically be just them. They also wouldn't leave anybody behind. I think in the book "Annapurna" (overrated, BTW) it's mentioned that they were all tied together and they collectively refused to cut the rope when one of them slipped, so they all ended up hanging by one ice pick, determined to live or die together.

Didnyt you just finish saying they would leave 80 ppl behind?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Didnyt you just finish saying they would leave 80 ppl behind?

Its a mountain. They left the 80 people ahead.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
Rich people try to climb a mountain, the mountain eats them. I am ok with this.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

pookel posted:

Good to hear.

Situations like this are where Twitter really shines, imo. I have no interest in celebrity slapfights, but Twitter can be a really effective medium for quickly relaying breaking news, especially if the regular media isn't on-site (yet).

even then the regular media takes forever cause they have to write 1500 words of super clickbait vs 2% of that on twitter

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SpeedGem posted:

Rich people try to climb a mountain, the mountain eats them. I am ok with this.

Too bad it ate a guy that was apparently a major force behind driverless cars. That sucks.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Should've been behind climberless mountaineering.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Too bad it ate a guy that was apparently a major force behind driverless cars. That sucks.

Thank you, mountain god.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

dj_clawson posted:

You're mushing together two stories that happened one-after-the-other on K2 in 1958. The fall where everybody wound up hanging on one ice ax was caught by Pete Schoening; it was and is known as simply "The Belay". The guy who was dying and was carried anyway was Art Gilkey, who got high-altitude sickness and was being carried down the mountain. He fell off his rope, almost certainly making it possible for the healthy members of the team to survive. One of the surviving climbers thinks that Gilkey cut himself free to save the rest of the team.

It's one of the great stories in mountaineering, and I heartily recommend "K2 — The Savage Mountain" which tells that and other stories.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Where would you want to be right now, the ice falls or West Side Baltimore?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Everest killed the google guy because it was mad about the search algorithm changes.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You're mushing together two stories that happened one-after-the-other on K2 in 1958. The fall where everybody wound up hanging on one ice ax was caught by Pete Schoening; it was and is known as simply "The Belay". The guy who was dying and was carried anyway was Art Gilkey, who got high-altitude sickness and was being carried down the mountain. He fell off his rope, almost certainly making it possible for the healthy members of the team to survive. One of the surviving climbers thinks that Gilkey cut himself free to save the rest of the team.

It's one of the great stories in mountaineering, and I heartily recommend "K2 — The Savage Mountain" which tells that and other stories.

You're right; I've read both those books, so I'm mixing them up. But in general, they would all go up, and they would all either die or come down. No left behind bullshit like Beck Weathers had to deal with.

Meanwhile:
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/education-community/article/1778116/nepal-officials-may-be-hindering-everest-rescue

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Where would you want to be right now, the ice falls or West Side Baltimore?

Both are pretty frosty to wasps

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Would it be possible to go Walter White on Everest? Basically whenever I get cancer or some terminal disease, I want to climb up to the summit and die in the most picturesque spot and ruin it for everyone forever. Would I be left there like Green Boots, or would some determined yuppie flip my frozen corpse over the edge, desecrating my body for the sake of an Epic Selfie?

God drat I love Everest season.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Die doing the goatse on a rock outcropping just before summit

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the problem is you'd have to die somewhere that's both protected from the elements as well as not a place where someone can easily shove you into a crevasse. Green Boots is still up there because it would be really difficult and potentially fatal to move him. He's also in a cave of sorts so he's protected from the elements. If you're out in the open, you'll get blown around in hurricane force winds at some point. Or someone might just shove you down to a place no one can see your gaping anus.

In other news, the entire city of Kathmandu shifted ten feet in the earthquake.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/city-of-kathmandu-shifted-ten-feet-by-earthquake/

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Die with a raging boner right where the last required handhold is so people have to give your frozen meatsicle a handy to summit.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
It's been two seasons since anyone has been to the top of Everest from the south side. Also, there have been something like 6 earthquakes above 6.0 magnitude in the area in the last week. One of the 8k peaks (Broad Peak I think) became significantly more difficult to climb a few years back because of an ice shelf collapsing. Kinda wondering if its possible if the same thing happened at Everest. I would guess not so much, since Everest is not know for having large and dangerous ice shelves like some of the other high peaks.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

But that's what the earthquake did??

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Blazing Ownager posted:

Sono posted:

Thank you, mountain god.

Amen

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

In other news, the entire city of Kathmandu shifted ten feet in the earthquake.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/city-of-kathmandu-shifted-ten-feet-by-earthquake/

Michio Kaku will lend his quotes to anything, won't he? Four years ago, he did a good deal of scare work regarding Fukushima without saying anything of substance. Now he's saying, "It turns out that India and China are colliding." Really? We needed to get you specifically for a high school textbook fact?

There are thousands of geologists out there they could have interviewed.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

kaku is a self-aggrandizing clueless dbag

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Kaku is annoying in that I have no idea what he does but everyone uses him as a scientific expert. Future technology? Kaku. Current technology? Kaku. Climate Change? Kaku. If I were just to go off the discovery channel, he probably has a degree in The Future.

At least with Tyson I know he does astrophysics. He might be brought in to discuss other scientific things, but at least I know what is field is.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

he's the asian neil degrasse tyson

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

He's a theoretical physicist by training, but Black Asian Science Man by trade.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CommunistPancake posted:

he's the asian neil degrasse tyson

That's not a very nice thing to say about Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Meanwhile, I have been going through news sites for images that match places I went to when I was in Kathmandu two years ago this week. I've found two from almost the exact same spots.

Bhaktapur

Swayambmunath (aka, the monkey temple)

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
So the only things that got destroyed were those pagan temples?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Chappers posted:

Meanwhile, I have been going through news sites for images that match places I went to when I was in Kathmandu two years ago this week. I've found two from almost the exact same spots.

Bhaktapur

Swayambmunath (aka, the monkey temple)

:aaa:

Thank you for these

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Holy poo poo, I was at both of those sites in 2012. I'm really glad I got there in time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So is the Earthquake a member of ISIS? Only the buildings that insult Islam were destroyed.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

raditts posted:

That's not a very nice thing to say about Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
danfredinburg
6 days ago
Day 19: After snow delays, our Puja ceremony is finally underway. We piled up our gear on the alter to have it blessed. Lama Dawa Rita, a Sherpa from our Gurka team, asks the Goddess Everest for permission for our team to step through the ice fall soon. #Everest2015 #puja

michyramos
Only God can be prayed to...God bless you Dan, I pray that your family finds peace in this tragic time ❤️❤️❤️🙏

https://instagram.com/p/1v_tCexFgR/

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

A close-up of the tower destroyed in that first photo.

Full size here:
http://i.imgur.com/gtVIlrQ.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Fansy posted:

danfredinburg
6 days ago
Day 19: After snow delays, our Puja ceremony is finally underway. We piled up our gear on the alter to have it blessed. Lama Dawa Rita, a Sherpa from our Gurka team, asks the Goddess Everest for permission for our team to step through the ice fall soon. #Everest2015 #puja

michyramos
Only God can be prayed to...God bless you Dan, I pray that your family finds peace in this tragic time ❤️❤️❤️🙏

https://instagram.com/p/1v_tCexFgR/

Behead those who insult islam.

• Locked thread