Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

quick someone unironically deploy privilege_scorecard.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-freddie-gray-violence-chronology-20150427-story.html#page=1

quote:

A group of men who said they were members of the Crips — they wore blue bandannas and blue shirts — stood on the periphery and denounced the looting.

"This is our hood, and we can't control it right now," one of the men said.

But another bystander, who said his name was Antwion Robinson, 26, said the outburst had been building.

"They are killing us," Robinson said. "They are actually killing us, and then they make this seem like we're out of control. But they're killing our neighbors and brothers. We're just supposed to sit back and take that?"

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/the-brutality-of-police-culture-in-baltimore/391158/

quote:

$5.7 million is the amount the city paid to victims of brutality between 2011 and 2014. And as huge as that figure is, the more staggering number in the article is this one: "Over the past four years, more than 100 people have won court judgments or settlements related to allegations of brutality and civil-rights violations." What tiny percentage of the unjustly beaten win formal legal judgments?

These judgements include BPD cops kicking the poo poo out of an 87 year old woman, a church deacon, and a lady selling church raffle tickets.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

L-Boned posted:

I feel like we need more of this.

this would literally be the last day of the united states (and not in moral "oh we have lost our way" sense)

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

The Insect Court posted:

We need some sort of term to describe vicarious identification with and glorification of destructive rioting and looting in the bigoted belief that a handful of idiots throwing bricks through windows is a more "authentic" expression of black feeling than non-violent protest.

I suggest PTD Syndrome.

Hrm I think it might be less "identification with and glorification of" than "why are people surprised, this is what happens" but I'm guessing you miss that because you are the type of guy who wouldn't act out if you grew up in the ghetto, you'd just learn to code.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010
Riots are bad. Violent protests are less legitimate than nonviolent protests. It is good that the police and national guard are going to restore order in Baltimore.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
the rioters are a bunch of high school kids

http://coed.com/2015/04/27/baltimore-riots-mom-slap-video-freddy-gray-protests-looting/

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

pacmania90 posted:

Riots are bad. Violent protests are less legitimate than nonviolent protests. It is good that the police and national guard are going to restore order in Baltimore.

Generally yeah, but violent protests don't grant a get out of jail free card to excuse the systemic brutality/oppression that instigated them.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

pacmania90 posted:

This post is devoid of objectionable statements, yet it seems like we cannot even agree on these things as a society.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Schools are closed tomorrow, but I'm sure all the parents in West Baltimore have babysitters and nannies all lined up for however long the unrest lasts.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

pacmania90 posted:

I don't know the Stonewall riots were pretty effective.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/nonviolence-as-compliance/391640/

Ta-nehisi Coates making a fairly well-reasoned defense of rioting

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Accounts from locals indicate that the police claimed a "credible threat of gang violence" and descended on a local high school before it let students out, shutting down the public transit around it. This resulted in some rather miffed students finding out that their school was surrounded by riot cops and they had no way to get home reliably.

It's very similar to what occurred in Ferguson, where peaceful protests were met with rifle-armed officers and snipers and antagonism until a few thrown water bottles gave the excuse to deploy tear gas and shoot reporters.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
In what way are they less legitimate?

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

So did MLK but then a white dude shot him and now we talk about how successful he was due to nonviolence.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Nonviolence "worked" at one time because at one time people were appalled by the idea of state force being deployed against nonviolent black people.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

chitoryu12 posted:

Accounts from locals indicate that the police claimed a "credible threat of gang violence" and descended on a local high school before it let students out, shutting down the public transit around it. This resulted in some rather miffed students finding out that their school was surrounded by riot cops and they had no way to get home reliably.

It's very similar to what occurred in Ferguson, where peaceful protests were met with rifle-armed officers and snipers and antagonism until a few thrown water bottles gave the excuse to deploy tear gas and shoot reporters.

I haven't seen a guns out in Baltimore. poo poo's bad, but I think this is more of a "undercurrent of mistrust and resentment coming to the surface" than "that plus also the cops are LARPing"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Parody Threads posted:

Nonviolence "worked" at one time because at one time people were appalled by the idea of state force being deployed against nonviolent black people.

Just going by memory here but I believe every time a nonviolent movement has been successful at achieving political change, it was the "good cop" alternative to a parallel "bad cop" violent movement (black panthers, etc.) I could be wrong but I believe this holds true for Gandhi as well.

Of course the counterargument is that violence is sortof humanity's default setting so of course there's always a violent movement and it's the nonviolent movement which makes change possible, which is a defensible argument (and the reason that agents provocateurs are so often inserted into nonviolent protest movements!)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 28, 2015

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

With Ghandi's case losing control of India in the middle of WWII was the bad cop option.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Radbot posted:

In what way are they less legitimate?

Innocent people get hurt during violent protests. That's what I mean.

Also want to clarify that there is a distinction between less legitimate and illegitimate.

pacmania90 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 28, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pacmania90 posted:

Yes, and who is hurting the citizens again?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Of course the counterargument is that violence is sortof humanity's default setting so of course there's always a violent movement and it's the nonviolent movement which makes change possible, which is a defensible argument (and the reason that agents provocateurs are so often inserted into nonviolent protest movements!)

I think rather we'd prefer to attribute success to the Good and Peaceful people than admit in our national fables that being violent and aggressive sometimes helps you achieve your goals.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Yes, and who is hurting the citizens again?

In this scenario, it is the violent protestors.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pacmania90 posted:

In this scenario, it is the violent protestors.

It looks like more people are being hurt by the police, actually. This is something that the protesters are in fact protesting about. The police don't care if a protester is violent either, such as when they beat up a Baltimore Sun journalist on camera. The police, generally, are very violent because they know that the laws of the state are designed to protect the police from legal repercussions for their crimes.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

pacmania90 posted:

Also want to clarify that there is a distinction between less legitimate and illegitimate.

There was only one innocent man and he died for it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

It looks like more people are being hurt by the police, actually. This is something that the protesters are in fact protesting about. The police don't care if a protester is violent either, such as when they beat up a Baltimore Sun journalist on camera. The police, generally, are very violent because they know that the laws of the state are designed to protect the police from legal repercussions for their crimes.

Perhaps two things can be bad, at the same time

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just going by memory here but I believe every time a nonviolent movement has been successful at achieving political change, it was the "good cop" alternative to a parallel "bad cop" violent movement (black panthers, etc.) I could be wrong but I believe this holds true for Gandhi as well.

Gandhi's nonviolence movement didn't achieve anything, the British weren't budging until they got bankrupted by WW2.

So basically Hitler freed India.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Do you have any examples of protestors getting hurt by the police?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

tekz posted:

Gandhi's nonviolence movement didn't achieve anything, the British weren't budging until they got bankrupted by WW2.

So basically Hitler freed India.

Appropriate as wasn't Gandhi also a huge racist?

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

He was the good type of racist, the kind that backs their stuff up with facts and numbers.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't believe so but this thread is about Baltimore and cops so lets not derail it too much.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

How do you arrest a small group of violent protestors within a larger group of peaceful protestors? Genuinely curious.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

pacmania90 posted:

How do you arrest a small group of violent protestors within a larger group of peaceful protestors? Genuinely curious.

cop answer: trick question: they're all violent

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pacmania90 posted:

Do you have any examples of protestors getting hurt by the police?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-protest-journalists-20150426-story.html

pacmania90 posted:

easy, you beat and arrest everyone and tell the media they were all violent and deserving of a beating

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

that article posted:

Police had broadcast a message that said "something like, 'This is no longer a legal assembly. This is no longer a peaceful protest,'" and warned people in the area they would be detained, Woods said.

Do the police actually get to decide that, or are they just bullshitting? There isn't a curfew in place yet, as I understand it.

I guess there is the problem of deciding what is and isn't a peaceful protest.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014
Speaking as someone who's been quietly keeping an eye on this thread since around page ten, it's really interesting to see how many people who've wandered in on the last few pages seem to think that saying 'The protests are reasonable and the riots, while unfortunate, are understandable' basically means 'gently caress the police, gently caress society and gently caress you'

Because, like, seriously folks? I don't think anyone here is sincerely arguing in favor of the destruction of public property. If you really want to look at it that way, go make another thread and yell at your strawmen in there. Nobody in this thread should have to follow up everything they say about the riots with a cute little back-and-forth where you actively misunderstand what they're saying.

Also, nice avatar, Popular Thug Drink. Seeing you actually have one for once threw me off a little, tho. :)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pacmania90 posted:

Do the police actually get to decide that, or are they just bullshitting?

yep. if the police order a crowd to disperse anyone who doesn't can be arrested in maryland for Failure to Obey an Officer 10-201(c)(3)

they can order a crowd to get lost if it's a disturbance of the peace

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 28, 2015

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

pacmania90 posted:

Usually the violent ones break away from the peaceful ones.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Edmund Lava posted:

I don't know the Stonewall riots were pretty effective.

The Boston Tea Party was too.

pacmania90 posted:

Do the police actually get to decide that, or are they just bullshitting? There isn't a curfew in place yet, as I understand it.

I guess there is the problem of deciding what is and isn't a peaceful protest.

Strangely the cops are pretty gung-ho about declaring protests against them violent. But of course they're being perfectly rational and not letting being the target of the protests cloud their judgement.

Of course, to lose the cheek here, the protests are probably severe enough a disruption to public order that the cops are legit in ordering dispersal.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 28, 2015

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Were the black protesters in the violent wing of the civil rights movement known for looting?

Mom catches son rioting

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pacmania90
May 31, 2010
Skipping ahead several steps in my thinking, but it seems like the big issue is people not respecting the authority of police; not to say that they necessarily deserve it.

• Locked thread