Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silus
Dec 28, 2012

Gives you a reason to actually want to settle down on a planet and build various houses, at least.
EDIT: in reference to NPCs moving into houses based on building materials and furniture, offering different services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Looks legit, yeah. Takes Terraria's system and refines it a bit more.

I'm for it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Neat idea using the furniture coordinates as the seed for the NPC appearance randomizer.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

OK, this seems like a good and reasonable idea. A little like space Animal Crossing, except you get to play the part of Nook. That's cool.
I'm not going to be optimistic, but I am interested in where they're going with this.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's better than anything they have in there now. All of the problems they have in there now will still be there though. I hope NPCs quests are more than "I really want this fruit to eat/this chair to sit in!"

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm for it.

Yep, seems good in concept. Hoping execution goes nicely. I'd colonize more nooks and crannies than a MRSA outbreak.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Well, we also thought the teleport system would work nicely. It didn't.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I'm not saying it'll be good when it's in, it's honestly a toss-up at this point, but what is right there in that post is pretty neato.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

They should just double down on the ship and make it so you recruit a crew by finding them and building the proper rooms in your ship. I don't want to have a home planet, and it doesn't make any sense to have a home planet like that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mutata posted:

It's better than anything they have in there now. All of the problems they have in there now will still be there though. I hope NPCs quests are more than "I really want this fruit to eat/this chair to sit in!"

Don't worry they'll find some way to ruin it. I have faith.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Looked pretty great until

Chucklefish posted:

allowing for colony progression
Knowing their track record with :airquote:progression:airquote:, I'm hopeful but not optimistic.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bauxite posted:

They should just double down on the ship and make it so you recruit a crew by finding them and building the proper rooms in your ship. I don't want to have a home planet, and it doesn't make any sense to have a home planet like that.

Pretty much this, make planets one of various "types" with dungeon planets, agriculture planets, mining planets with massive tunnels and add a bit of variety depending on the climate. Eventually turn your ship into a massive behemoth. Bonus points if you can build a moon cracking device or an orbital siphon that lets you harvest massive amounts of resources or refuel on gas giants.

Make planets interesting exploration points but go back to the idea of the home station, only leave it mobile and build various supply dumps or outposts around. Say you build yourself a prefab mining colony with the pre-requisite furniture spawn points for miners, a chef, various administration and leave. When you come back later they'll have stockpiled various resources you can pick up. Let the player gently caress around where he wants and delegate low level resource gathering to automation.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah I'm not saying it'll be good when it's in, it's honestly a toss-up at this point, but what is right there in that post is pretty neato.

Mar 2016

Babe Magnet posted:

This NPC update is pretty cool in concept, but when I walked past one of my villagers, they instantly died and my entire colony turned hostile. I hope this gets fixed.

Tiy posted:

if you thought the new alpacas were cool, next we're gonna add in llamas

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Hm what if they removed everything and replaced it with a shareware copy of Doom

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

this is a system the game really loving needs to be a loving game

of course as far as i know the only way to get those glitch bricks and poo poo is by mining glitch houses, one of starbound's /hugest/ sucking points beneath terraria is not being able to make a hilarious amount of things to build with

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
The dream is dead. Now modders won't want to finish my bad game for me. :(

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

LordZoric posted:

The dream is dead. Now modders won't want to finish my bad game for me. :(
"I was really looking forward to professional quality mods".

Letting people charge for mods is not going to suddenly make paid mods professional-quality. Putting a price tag on something users make in their spare time doesn't suddenly make it better.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

no man it totally attracts all the extremely good game developers who just dont do it well because they cant quit their dayjob

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
25% of proceeds? That's where the real money is

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I hope they end up implementing that colonization thing, if only to see what kinds of NPCs are attracted to a building entirely made of flesh and poo poo blocks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pentaro posted:

I hope they end up implementing that colonization thing, if only to see what kinds of NPCs are attracted to a building entirely made of flesh and poo poo blocks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evilreaver posted:

25% of proceeds? That's where the real money is

And 45% to lefish, that's why he's so unhappy about this, duh

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Patware posted:

this is a system the game really loving needs to be a loving game

of course as far as i know the only way to get those glitch bricks and poo poo is by mining glitch houses, one of starbound's /hugest/ sucking points beneath terraria is not being able to make a hilarious amount of things to build with

They have actually been gradually adding more crafting recipes for random furniture/block poo poo like those, I guess this is why.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

I want to be a rare slime enthusiast.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

david... posted:

I want to be a rare slime enthusiast.

Oh, my little david... you've been a rare slime enthusiast all along. :unsmith:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

XboxPants posted:

They have actually been gradually adding more crafting recipes for random furniture/block poo poo like those, I guess this is why.

It would be nice if it didn't take the pixel value of a bar of gold to crate a single lego block, and made quickly generating building materials a reasonable hope, yes.

There is a reason most of my stuff was glorified log cabins. Renewable building materials.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
This colonization business sounds all well and good in theory, but with Chucklefuck's track record in mind I'm not too hopeful.

Also, have fun spending gorillions of hours gathering enough cool blocks to be able to build so much as an outhouse.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
Still can't get this to work with multi player on my Mac, my 5 year old is quite displeased he cannot play Starbound with grandma. They've moved onto HOTS at this point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bitter Beard posted:

Still can't get this to work with multi player on my Mac, my 5 year old is quite displeased he cannot play Starbound with grandma. They've moved onto HOTS at this point.

Your... grandma plays HOTS?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Catpain Slack posted:

Also, have fun spending gorillions of hours gathering enough cool blocks to be able to build so much as an outhouse.
Last time he was here, I asked Tiy about it and he said the eventual plan is to make it so the player doesn't have to go out and raid/tear down existing settlements just to get good building blocks/objects to work with. So look forward to that in 2021.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Your... grandma plays HOTS?

my mom, his grandma

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Last time he was here, I asked Tiy about it and he said the eventual plan is to make it so the player doesn't have to go out and raid/tear down existing settlements just to get good building blocks/objects to work with. So look forward to that in 2021.

So... the fabricator? What is needed is a Tekkit-esque system where you can set up giant orbital and asteroid mining stations, which convert the proceeds to pixels, and then you could use those to make whatever the gently caress you want!

I really wish the game had more in the way of ridiculous Minecraft engineering/"science"/magic mods, y'know, the fun stuff, and hey- they could maybe put some of that stuff actually In The Game instead of working on pointless poo poo nobody cares about.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

Terraria has issues, but the NPCs in it at least sell relevant stuff or provide decent services. I don't see thousands of procedurally-generated lovely NPCs that require overly-specific accommodation doing much for a player besides just existing. Best case scenario is that there are maybe a dozen types that you'd want, all of which require a wiki to make sure you place exactly four bookshelves, six race-specific barrels and a banana lock statue on the roof.

There's no actual design process here. It's just "think of a feature in vague terms, get one or two guys to implement it" rather than thinking of the implications of it and whether it actually adds anything fun to the game.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Cryohazard posted:

Terraria has issues, but the NPCs in it at least sell relevant stuff or provide decent services. I don't see thousands of procedurally-generated lovely NPCs that require overly-specific accommodation doing much for a player besides just existing. Best case scenario is that there are maybe a dozen types that you'd want, all of which require a wiki to make sure you place exactly four bookshelves, six race-specific barrels and a banana lock statue on the roof.

There's no actual design process here. It's just "think of a feature in vague terms, get one or two guys to implement it" rather than thinking of the implications of it and whether it actually adds anything fun to the game.

The game has so much built in variation that it would work totally fine to have 14 different weapon merchants that all sell slightly different weapon variants, though. And it wouldn't really matter much whether you get an Evil Scientist Apex Weapon Merchant or a Friendly Tribal Floran Weapon Merchant. It's just cosmetic differences. You're making a big deal over nothing.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

XboxPants posted:

The game has so much built in variation that it would work totally fine to have 14 different weapon merchants that all sell slightly different weapon variants, though. And it wouldn't really matter much whether you get an Evil Scientist Apex Weapon Merchant or a Friendly Tribal Floran Weapon Merchant. It's just cosmetic differences. You're making a big deal over nothing.

Not trying to make a big deal of it, just saying that given how drat near everything else has been implemented, putting the settlements idea out there as end-game doesn't fill me with anticipation when a) getting to that point is such a slog and b) it's likely to be useless and/or broken for a considerable length of time after it's put in.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There's no good reason to have 14 weapons merchants, since there are only three interactions with ANY permanent-goods NPC

1) Anything good? If not, EXIT
2) Can I afford it? If so, buy and go to 1, else come back with money
2a) Does this fit an alternate playstyle I'd like to try? Go to 2
3) Sell garbage loot to vendor

Once you're done with step 1 and 2, you don't need lots of NPCs for 3, just one in an easy spot.

Consumable merchants (medkits, cosmetics, funstuff) you might like to have hang around, and virtually all of Terraria's merchants sell consumables for that reason.

Starbound NPCs would be better served as 'service' npcs (automating boring things like healing, mining, or perhaps constructing, maybe even diplomacy/contract seeking if you're starting an empire).

A good sandbox should have everything as involved as YOU the player want it to be. If you want minerals, it should be automated, or you can do it yourself if you find it fun and have time. Same with defending a base, building a base, building any megaproject, maybe even assault missions (go on them yourself or hire a band of mercs. Maybe even just play medic for them!) Sure, you can do things Better if you're taking charge (defending against raiders/natives might cost you security personnel, so either do it yourself, or shrug hire a new guy and That's Business v:v:v Manual mining is fast, but auto works while you're doing other things like building, travelling, or fighting, so even though its slower it ends up being more productive.)

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Dang, I need to turn off my turrets now, since they target friendly NPCs.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

This sounds cool in passing, but this whole thing about needing certain stuff to attract certain NPC's, who might need some room set aside for the unique crafting stuff they'll put down, sounds really arbitrary and impossible to figure out on your own. It'll just be another progression grind, albeit one you'll need to follow a guide for.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Ice_Mallet posted:

Dang, I need to turn off my turrets now, since they target friendly NPCs.

Haha, loving really? :starbound:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I HAVE A DREAM

The tutorial planet teaches the basics- how to move, fight, mine, and recruit NPCs. Maybe there's a wounded guy-- why not a buddy who was in your escape pod, but didn't fare so well in the crash? He needs shelter ("NPCs need beds, doors, walls and lights!"), medicine herbs (which, along with food crops, are the base of Farming progression), protection from alien wolves, oh great now he's better and needs a gun so the two of you can hike up a mountain so your distress signal reaches space?

Alright, so a ship comes down and teleports you up, and kidnaps you and the captain is an rear end in a top hat. You break out and fight (you need control of the engine and bridge, do you dispatch your friend to one while you go to the other, or go together? Introducing the NPC Dispatch System tutorial!) So you blow up the ship, the captain gets to a shuttle, you beam aboard. And when you confront the pirate captain, you are given a choice, kill the captain or arrest him to give to the local Spacecops? Either way, now you have a Tier 1 ship. And the sandbox begins.

Your buddy doesn't have anything better to do, so he'll hang around until you dismiss him or something. He'll stay on the ship acting as a guide "Why not go [progress the story], [player]?" And you can ask him to come along on your self-guided missions. You're in a space-civ consellation, why not find an inhabited planet to get missions or a vacant world to claim?

Oh, some distress signals. Go or ignore? Story-important ones are clearly marked as important (and don't time out), others you can hunt down or ignore at your leisure. One teaches you about wormholes, another about Why The Big Bad Is A Jerk, another is a mining outpost and when you get there it's overrun with native wildlife. The boss of that last one is tired of dealing with the aliens you just made extinct, so he sells you the deed for cheap. Boom, Outpost Upgrade And Management tutorial.

Eventually your mining outpost either decays (if you don't man it) or is attacked (if you do), which then triggers a How To Defend Your poo poo tutorial.

You are taught how to make a Farming Outpost. They don't work well if there's industry on the same world, so there's a reason to colonize multiple worlds (or spend some resources on clean industry). This provides food and/or medicine you can use to feed NPCs you have under your 'rule' or you can trade to neutral/friendly civs. Medicine is worth more so it attracts more raiders. Different foods grow in different climates so you are encouraged to settle multiple worlds again. (Or build biodomes)

You are taught how to make Research Outposts. They're valuable and attract raiders, but you can hide them well underground so as long as there isn't something obvious (say, a mine or farm) on the surface to give them away, they're pretty safe. You can research all sorts of fun toys, techs, ships, weapons, armor, engines, mining and farming equipment, or just farm out your equipment to a civ for cash and favors. Larger labs and their reactors generate more heat and are thus harder to hide so you either need better defenses or, again, multiple planets.

So you're left to Skyrim the galaxy for a bit. If you focus on the main story, you can head off the Big Bad's plans and do good in the world, and it gives you juuuuust enough levels/gear/resources as quest rewards in order to get by. If you don't care, you get wealthy and/or powerful, but the BB starts conquering poo poo, and launches high-threat attacks both on NPC constellations as well as your own holdings. Powerful NPC Civs can resist for a while and start giving you "evac this planet", "hold the line", "attack this enemy base to take heat off us" missions, and food/medical supplies go way up in price so you can get :10bux: by fighting or merchanting. If you interact closely with a civ, they do very well in resisting the BB and can hold forever as you and they level up.

As the game progresses, the Big Bad gets mad at you (either for directly opposing him or for indirectly supporting your allies) and Death Star's a planet you like and/or Ups The Stakes in some way. Maybe two or three times depending on how long you want the game to be. Responding appropriately in a timely way means there's no lasting harm, as long as the player knows (1) "I lost those assets because I hosed up", or (2) "I would have CERTAINLY lost those assets if I hadn't acted".

Its worth noting that while direct attacks will become commonplace as you gain power/influence, they are never so annoying that you can't sandbox around them. If you play passively or stealthily, you are free to build whatever without making enemies or fearing the story might progress without you. At tier 1 as a complete unknown, you could build a large pretty castle and decorate your ship for days and days without anything bad happening, and without (much) material restrictions.

At some point you say "alright I'm a walking juggernaut of doom and conquest, time to gently caress up the Big Bad" or, "I can hire these black-ops supersoldiers and provide them high-tech support, particularly by launching interplanetary smartbombs or drones to ensure their success" or even "I have recreated Mass Effect by supporting these several civilizations so now we're going to band together in an unstoppable fleet"

Any one of those plans will work okay.

Or if you're a completionist sperg, you beam down on the planet in your Gigapower Armor Mk VIII and frankly illegal/immorally powerful weapons, backed up by mercs that you've granted similar equipment, while your support team nukes poo poo from orbit (with orbital weapons you've researched, designed, built and deployed) WHILE friendly civ's fleets cut off reinforcements and keep you and your orbital weapons safe. The Big Bad just :psyduck:s at you and you flatten him. The main game is won, congrats!

Then the optional Superboss From Beyond shows up, and is a murderous, nightmare-inducing multi-stage fight even with maxed-out everything (so there's a good reason for megaspergs to megasperg, and there's a true sense of accomplishment for smashing him). The Superboss doesn't move aggressively like the Big Bad does so you're much more free to sandbox.

Now THAT'S a game, and starbound is capable of supporting probably 80% of that right now.

• Locked thread