Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

How is the port of Xenoblade, compared to the original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

Runs very well, still looks muddy and jaggy like the wii version, alot of the UI elements were not scaled correctly and look blurry but it's still fully functional xenoblade on the go so you can't really go wrong. Not a good port, but not a bad one either.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Runs very well, still looks muddy and jaggy like the wii version, alot of the UI elements were not scaled correctly and look blurry but it's still fully functional xenoblade on the go so you can't really go wrong. Not a good port, but not a bad one either.

It also fixes a few bugs, most notably the annoying auto-attack one where in the original a weapon could only do minimum damage+100 no matter what the displayed range on the weapon was. So a 340-600 damage weapon would only ever do 340-440 damage.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The AI seems like it might be smarter too. Reyn and Sharla are using more abilities than they ever bothered with in my time with the wii version.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

bravely second came out in japan like 4 days ago, has there been any japanese impressions of it?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The AI seems like it might be smarter too. Reyn and Sharla are using more abilities than they ever bothered with in my time with the wii version.

Are Shulk and Melia still braindead in AI control? I haven't even let the computer touch either of them yet to check.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Awyisss can't wait!!!!!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
man, crossing your eyes to see 3d is such a cool thing

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Opening it on your New 3DS internet browser and turning on the 3D seems like it would be an easier way to do that though.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

I managed to do it on my iPad but boy did it hurt.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Crawfish posted:

Opening it on your New 3DS internet browser and turning on the 3D seems like it would be an easier way to do that though.

This is what I did and it looked pretty handsome that way.

Though I can't post from my 3DS cause apparently this page is too large?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Everyone keeps telling me that Shulk's heal is enough to support everyone but I have no idea how since bosses and stuff with AoE abilities just shred everyone. I don't want to use Sharla since Dunban is cooler but this is getting kind of annoying.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I found Sharla pretty good for boss fights and unique monsters

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Disappointing. For the "first" new 3ds game it's crap.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Everyone keeps telling me that Shulk's heal is enough to support everyone but I have no idea how since bosses and stuff with AoE abilities just shred everyone. I don't want to use Sharla since Dunban is cooler but this is getting kind of annoying.

I never found his heal useful until I leveled it to max, and even then I preferred using Melia or Riki for healing duty.

Also make sure your tanks have Last Stand in their arts bar, that one ability saved my rear end more often than any other.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

noirstronaut posted:

It renders in 3D on the 3DS or on a 3DTV if you turn on side-by-side mode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waltzing Along posted:

Disappointing. For the "first" new 3ds game it's crap.

It's a perfectly fine port, with slightly blurry text. It's still worth getting if you've never played Xenoblade Chronicles before.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a perfectly fine port, with slightly blurry text. It's still worth getting if you've never played Xenoblade Chronicles before.

If Kid Icarus looks better, and is faster, and is on the normal 3ds, then Xenoblade is a disappointing port to the newer, more powerful version.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
what the hell is wrong with my eyes? when I do manage to get the 3D illusion working, it's actually all backwards -- background elements are in "front" in 3D.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

If Kid Icarus looks better, and is faster, and is on the normal 3ds, then Xenoblade is a disappointing port to the newer, more powerful version.

Kid Icarus probably would've worked better on the Wii, so I'm willing to call it even

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Grass Effect posted:

what the hell is wrong with my eyes? when I do manage to get the 3D illusion working, it's actually all backwards -- background elements are in "front" in 3D.

Are you playing Super Mario 3D World by any chance?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Waltzing Along posted:

... Kids Icarus Uprising is half Rail shooter, half first person shooter with tiny linear levels.

I'm pretty sure the first zone in Xenoblade is larger than the total walkable area in all of Kid Icarus.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zore posted:

... Kids Icarus Uprising is half Rail shooter, half first person shooter with tiny linear levels.

I'm pretty sure the first zone in Xenoblade is larger than the total walkable area in all of Kid Icarus.

Then maybe Xenoblade was a poor choice to be the first and only New 3DS exclusive title.

I mean I'm all for making it more widely available but I would much rather they have added it to the Wii Virtual Console lineup. Especially since by all reports the porting to the 3DS was very low effort.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Say what you will, a lot of people prefer their RPGs on the go.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its the only title that requires it out of necessity it's an incremental hardware update we're not talking about a new console generation

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Then maybe Xenoblade was a poor choice to be the first and only New 3DS exclusive title.

I mean I'm all for making it more widely available but I would much rather they have added it to the Wii Virtual Console lineup. Especially since by all reports the porting to the 3DS was very low effort.

I don't disagree.

I figure they did it to show off how powerful the New 3DS was and because Xenoblade was such an unexpected hit with the localization campaign. Plus it was a Wii game close enough to first party that it got a Smash bros rep that had absolutely no motion controls so porting it would be infinitely simpler than something like, I dunno, Mario Galaxy or something.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Grass Effect posted:

Are you using the - ̗̀new ̖́- Nintendo 3DS?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Terper posted:

BD has the best JRPG combat system.

I think you'll find that that's SMTIV.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SMTIV doesn't even have the best SMT combat system

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think you'll find that that's SMTIV.
SMT4 doesn't even have the best SMT combat system.

e:

Cake Attack posted:

wtf

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cake Attack posted:

homeless snail posted:

SMT4 doesn't even have the best SMT combat system.

space is warped and time is bendable

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
UK dudes, here's some <20GBP stuff from ShopTo:

Monster Hunter 4 - 19.85
http://www.shopto.net/3ds-2ds-ds/3ds/3DSMO22-monster-hunter-4-ultimate

Mario Party Island Tour - 19.85
http://www.shopto.net/3ds-2ds-ds/3ds/3DSMA20-mario-party-island-tour

Kid Icarus Uprising - 14.86
http://www.shopto.net/3ds-2ds-ds/3ds/3DSKI01-kid-icarus-uprising-3ds

Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy+ - 14.86
http://www.shopto.net/3ds-2ds-ds/3ds/3DSAC58-ace-combat-assault-horizon-legacy-

Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle - 9.85
http://www.shopto.net/3ds-2ds-ds/3ds/3DSPR03-professor-layton-and-the-mask-of-miracle

New Art Academy - 5.86
http://www.shopto.net/3ds-2ds-ds/3ds/3DSNE03-new-art-academy

Pope Guilty posted:

Has it seriously been two months since there's been a Virtual Console release? That's even worse than usual.

Japan has had one 3DS VC in the last 12 months, despite having more potential releases across more platforms.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Does it feel good to cheat the system? I bet those aren't even real people on your precious "homepass" ? Streetpass was made with the idea that people could come together and share a common bond of video games and hats and this poo poo is pissing me off more and more, the more I read about these fake steetpasses.

I literally got a streetpass 0 times in my entire life until going to Japan

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
Oh, sorry, I should have specified. I was talking about the youtube video posted earlier; the 3DS works just fine for me. I think I'm crossing my eyes the wrong way, and I just can't do it properly.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is Melia supposed to like...contribute to combat? I just got her and she just stands there 90% of the time it seems like.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Telling everyone to focus on one target helps her AI somewhat. Really though, she's a character you should use yourself to get the most out of. Personally, I felt she was too immobile, so I never used her, but she's a lot of people's favorite.

e: Basically, the way she works is that she summons small elemental orbs around her as she uses her Arts, and these buff up your party as long as she has them around her. You then use your Talent Art, the big one in the middle, to use them. Melia with maxed out +Lightning damage and Ether with three Bolt Elementals is capable of the most burst damage in the game. Problem with the AI is that if often just holds on to the buffs.

Terper fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 28, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is Melia supposed to like...contribute to combat? I just got her and she just stands there 90% of the time it seems like.

Her combat gimmick only really works if you're controlling her directly.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I hear this is a problem with AI Sharla too, where the AI just won't use the central gimmick of the character. Melia's main thing is summoning up to three elements to buff and use them in powerful ether attacks while filling her talent guage, which activates a Burst state that enables special arts.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sharla at least healed people and put enemies to sleep in my experience, Melia wouldn't even auto attack unless the enemy was right ontop of her. Ah well. Not sure if I want to keep Dunban as my third spot or switch him for Riki now since I don't want to deal with Melia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You should use both Dunban and Riki. There's a reason they are the two party members featured in Shulk's Final Smash.