Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Larry Hogan about to become a VP option. Chris Christie without the baggage and a lot more dog whistle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

SirKibbles posted:

Yeah but I'm referring to them being actively courted by politicians before that they were always a pain in the rear end but not to this level.

You're still wrong. Reagan courted the religious right in the late 70s.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

SirKibbles posted:

Yeah but I'm referring to them being actively courted by politicians before that they were always a pain in the rear end but not to this level.

Nope, the religious right formed in the 70s, became a big organized power in the 80s, peaked in the early-mid 90s and is now in slow decline. People complain about how much power they have now but yes it used to be worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E9sZqunJ_M

EDIT: I don't think they could have picked better background music for this video.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 28, 2015

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MaxxBot posted:

Nope, the religious right formed in the 70s, became a big organized power in the 80s, peaked in the early-mid 90s and is now in slow decline. People complain about how much power they have now but yes it used to be worse.

EDIT: I don't think they could have picked better background music for this video.

Wow, the Homintern, how has that portmanteau of Homosexual and Comintern not survived in common use?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Zelder posted:

Eh, the republicans are still lovely to black people, I can't imagine they're suddenly going to stop being sorry to the gays.

Millenials everywhere in America are much more socially liberal on things like LGBT rights and women's rights. Aka things they can relate to when the other party is white. Poors and minorities on the other hand can continue to get hosed

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Real Paddy posted:

Wow, the Homintern, how has that portmanteau of Homosexual and Comintern not survived in common use?
That's real!? I thought I was clever inventing it! e: as an expression/bad joke, obviously.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Nessus posted:

That's real!? I thought I was clever inventing it! e: as an expression/bad joke, obviously.

That was my initial thought as well but I guess it's actually a real term that used to be popular with those charming folks over at National Review, I too am surprised that the term fell by the wayside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homintern

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

MaxxBot posted:

That video gave me the willies.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MaxxBot posted:

Not to mention that before say the 1960s they didn't need to exist as a separate thing because they were dominant in politics. Until then it was perfectly legal to mandate students pray a certain way in schools, to actually ban evolution while mandating creationism, and boy howdy all those anti-abortion, anti-gay, anti-divorce laws you could ask for as a loony Christian.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Real Paddy posted:

The term Homonazi Junta has been thrown around in Ukraine with the recent unrest.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Y'know, belatedly, but - from my perspective as a perennial dieter and an amused observer of these elections, I feel that the media really dropped the ball on that Jeb Bush weight loss thing. Because there are so many questions to be asked: What sort of fat burners does the Governor use? (Are they meth derivatives?) How could an average voter his age be able to approximate his diet? How does the Governor plan to negotiate the yo-yo effect while holding the nuclear codes? How does he plan to hold the nuclear codes while negotiating the yo-yo effect? Is the Governor a yo-yo effect denialist?

Can someone please ask Jeb Bush if he is a yo-yo effect denialist?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
What the gently caress is a yoyo effect

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

What the gently caress is a yoyo effect

I don't know that I've ever heard it call the yo-yo effect but i think the poster above you is referring to binge dieting and people 'yo-yoing' from high weight, to low weight, to higher weight. Generally this happens to people who try to totally transform their diet overnight. They get a few weeks/months into it and then boom.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: :siren: obama shows his true colors :siren: :siren:

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

In the inimitable words of forums poster Meg from Family Guy, he's not wrong.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

MaxxBot posted:

Safe Sodomy Subsidies :allears:

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Franco Potente posted:

In the inimitable words of forums poster Meg from Family Guy, he's not wrong.

a cold, bald white house

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

mooyashi posted:

a cold, bald white house

I thought Graham was the hawk candidate? Or is he now too soft?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary changed her icon :derp:

Meanwhile...

quote:

Former President Bill Clinton accepted more than $2.5 million in speaking fees from 13 major corporations and trade associations that lobbied the U.S. State Department while Hillary Clinton was secretary of state, an International Business Times investigation has found. The fees were paid directly to the former president, and not directed to his philanthropic foundation.

Many of the companies that paid Bill Clinton for these speeches -- a roster of global giants that includes Microsoft, Oracle and Dell -- engaged him within the same three-month period in which they were also lobbying the State Department in pursuit of their policy aims, federal disclosure documents show. Several companies received millions of dollars in State Department contracts while Hillary Clinton led the institution.

Doesn't seem like this is going away any time soon.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's going to be funny as hell when the usuals try arguing Halliburton-Cheney was different.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013

De Nomolos posted:

Larry Hogan about to become a VP option. Chris Christie without the baggage and a lot more dog whistle.

Do you really think so? He's only been in office for three months.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014

I have a hard time digging into this and understanding it - what is the chance hillary actually did something awful with this whole thing? the media is going to spin it a certain way irrespective so I count on goons to cut through and deliver the God Honest Truth.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

SKELETONS posted:

I have a hard time digging into this and understanding it - what is the chance hillary actually did something awful with this whole thing? the media is going to spin it a certain way irrespective so I count on goons to cut through and deliver the God Honest Truth.

Not gonna pretend like I've looked into this terribly deeply, but I imagine the story is similar to the one with Uranium One: it may look sketchy if you don't think about it, but the contracts ultimately had to be approved by more people than just Hillary, so it's unlikely anything actually improper took place.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Hillary changed her icon :derp:

Doesn't seem like this is going away any time soon.

Benghazi hasn't gone away either but unless you're already a gop supporter I don't think it amounts to much. I don't think this will read any different than "business as usual for politicians" except among people who absolutely will never have voted for Hillary in the first place, nor does it have anything that would keep dem supporters at home in 16.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mr Jaunts posted:

Not gonna pretend like I've looked into this terribly deeply, but I imagine the story is similar to the one with Uranium One: it may look sketchy if you don't think about it, but the contracts ultimately had to be approved by more people than just Hillary, so it's unlikely anything actually improper took place.

How many examples of the Clintons being Bad At Government, bending ethics rules and committing clear ethics violations does it take before you start thinking that maybe Hillary shouldn't be president and doesn't deserve your benefit of the doubt?

This is a politician personally enriching themselves by taking money from people who they are taking decisions about. It's banana republic level corruption.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Pinterest Mom posted:

How many examples of the Clintons being Bad At Government, bending ethics rules and committing clear ethics violations does it take before you start thinking that maybe Hillary shouldn't be president and doesn't deserve your benefit of the doubt?

This is a politician personally enriching themselves by taking money from people who they are taking decisions about. It's banana republic level corruption.

And yet, still far less terrifying than any Republican alternative.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

If only there was some way to elect someone who isn't Hillary Clinton, but also isn't a Republican.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Pinterest Mom posted:

If only there was some way to elect someone who isn't Hillary Clinton, but also isn't a Republican.

Yea but there isn't.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

Do you think one exists in the year 2016, in the realm of reality?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Sharkie posted:

Do you think one exists in the year 2016, in the realm of reality?

:getin:

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
c'mon o'malley, pull out a mega obama

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Lol, no.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm still giving Hillary the benefit of the doubt because Republicans have been throwing bullshit scandals at the Clintons for literally as long as I've been alive, and frankly they've cried wolf too many times to deserve it themselves. And don't get me wrong, I'm no big fan of Hillary, there are plenty of legit criticisms of her, but these "clear ethics violations" are simply not those. The "Clinton Cash" thing is shaping up to be nonsense, and this article clearly states that not only do federal ethics rules not bar the acceptance of speaking fees, but that State's ethics counsel approved Bill's speaking engagements, even those that occurred while lobbying the department.

Besides, I'd much rather her than another Cheney-Halliburton situation.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

When was the last time he said or did anything to suggest he's going to run in 16?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pinterest Mom posted:

There's reason to suspect the timing but there's no evidence indicating actual quid pro quo. Bill Clinton wasn't working at the State Department and he wasn't operating in any governmental capacity pertaining to the decision process at the State Department. The fact that he's married to the then-Secretary of State doesn't suddenly put the money in Hillary's pocket.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 28, 2015

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Sharkie posted:

When was the last time he said or did anything to suggest he's going to run in 16?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Yeah he owns.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Didn't he have his own money scandal? Some dark money thing?

I mean he's probably marginally better than Webb, at least.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Owning" and being ready for prime time are two different things.

Gov. Schweitzer posted:

If you were just a regular person, you turned on the TV, and you saw Eric Cantor talking, I would say—and I'm fine with gay people, that's all right—but my gaydar is 60-70 percent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

If you think that calling a woman a whore because of her political positions "owns" then, uh, good luck with that, but

DynamicSloth posted:

"Owning" and being ready for prime time are two different things.

• Locked thread